Tracks rescanning

• Thread starter Shahar
  • 30 comments
Israel
Israel
Gran turismo 6 have alot of tracks that look a bit old , for example Mazda laguna seca that changed in 2013 but GT6 dont have alot of those changes ( the same for the nurburgring and more). Are PD is going to re scan old tracks?

Last edited:
Gran turismo 6 have alot of tracks that look a bit old , for example Mazda laguna seca that changed in 2013 but GT6 dont have alot of those changes ( the same for the nurburgring and more). Are PD is going to re scan old tracks?

They rescanned Daytona so only fair that they do Indy as well no?

Yes , i seen the diffrent . But , its look like 1985 monza , its just the road Not the scenery or the big things (like the marking on the grass that says "DAYTONA")

Last edited:
La Sarthe 2013 Is the proof that PD can re scanned tracks but for some reason they dont do that Becouse of this i uplaoded this question

Last edited:
La Sarthe 2013 Is the proof that PD can re scanned tracks but for some reason they dont do that . Becouse of this i uplaoded this question

Yes, that's my point - they can rescan some but not others that are sorely lacking.

All tracks should be laser scanned imo, that's becoming the standard now. All old tracks should be redone from scratch too, I don't want PS2 wire frame models on my PS4.

My only concern with laser scanning is that two of the new tracks seem to struggle online. Bathurst notoriously has troubles and I've heard (haven't personally tried) Spielberg can only take so many cars. It may be coincidence, but it seems strange it's the "new" circuits causing problems. If this is true, it'll be the PS3's limits, but I can only speculate.

PD is using a good method to scan the tracks to the game ( I'm also a 3D artist myself , And I modeled some old tracks like old Rome from GT3 in my computer in PC grafics ) . People just hear "Laser scan !!!" And think anything else is bad ( less good ). Wrong , PD method are actually in the same acuarsy level as laser scan.

Sorry for my ignorance, I was under the impression laser was the only way other than laying out smooth tracks freehand. :boggled:

Please do enlighten us on methods from a designer's point of view. :)

They use GPS data taken when 'scanning' the track on foot, like Forza/T10 do/did and also what SMS do for Project CARS with the exception of four laser scanned tracks.

gt6_bathurst_1-638x381.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a GPS scanning device. It's certainly not a laser scanner.

FIA certification doesn't mean anything, I doubt those guys check for road surface accuracy or anything like that, most probably they just look at the general layout and major buildings around the track and call it a day.

The new tracks are definitely laser scanned, I've just rewatched KAZ and Kazunori specifically states that they laserscanned Willow Springs, so I would imagine its also true for Silverstone and Bathurst.

I would wager there is a large amount more than that to it.
I don't know, I just have little trust in those FIA execs, they have been ruining the races they're hosting with their stupid rules and regulation for a while now, so I imagine working with PD is just an easy cash grab for them. But I might be wrong of course.

The new tracks are definitely laser scanned, I've just rewatched KAZ and Kazunori specifically states that they laserscanned Willow Springs, so I would imagine its also true for Silverstone and Bathurst.
After reading your post I watched the part in the movie KAZ that talked about willow and they never said something about laser scanning. But maybe I missed it so can you post the time he said something about laser scanning​

After reading your post I watched the part in the movie KAZ that talked about willow and they never said something about laser scanning. But maybe I missed it so can you post the time he said something about laser scanning​
At 22:15

They use GPS data taken when 'scanning' the track on foot, like Forza/T10 do/did and also what SMS do for Project CARS with the exception of four laser scanned tracks.

gt6_bathurst_1-638x381.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is a GPS scanning device. It's certainly not a laser scanner.
That's looks like a digital surveyor's wheel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveyor's_wheel

Nothing related to scan the physical layout of a track, as it measures just distances, like an hodometer. If the box is GPS related it would be just to mark coordinate points to overlap the info over the physical scanned track to scale things properly and match virtual distances. Anyway this is ONE of the many layers that PD use to record a track. Does not exist a one "all-in one" method that you can catch on a single photo, there you are missing a big part of a complex process.

That's looks like a digital surveyor's wheel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveyor's_wheel

Nothing related to scan the physical layout of a track, as it measures just distances, like an hodometer. If the box is GPS related it would be just to mark coordinate points to overlap the info over the physical scanned track to scale things properly and match virtual distances. Anyway this is ONE of the many layers that PD use to record a track. Does not exist a one "all-in one" method that you can catch on a single photo, there you are missing a big part of a complex process.
That also looks similar to how T10 measured Hockenheim for FM4.

Back