Travel Through Time With This Replica of the 1886 Benz Patent Motorwagen

Even if it wouldn't be practical to own it would be a great novelty. Would it fit in a bike lane?

Even if it wouldn't be practical to own it would be a great novelty. Would it fit in a bike lane?
Dimensionally, yes, but there may be other restrictions in specific locales when it comes to motorized vehicles.

I'd love to see this in Gran Turismo Sport, just for fun and giggles.
With the possibility to tune it 1000%, giving this car a whopping 7-8 HP.

Haha man I remember driving this thing in GT4 around the Test Oval LMAO it was so slow I can’t remember my lap time but it must of been like 5 or 10 minuets or something lol Good times.

What the hell was Kaz thinking when he put that thing in GT4?lol

I'd love to see this in Gran Turismo Sport, just for fun and giggles.
With the possibility to tune it 1000%, giving this car a whopping 7-8 HP.

OMG now i want it just so i can see the reactions to the teaser image Kaz puts in the Twitter,9 sensible car silhouettes and then the 86 Benz silhouette :lol:

Nothing like doing a time trial on Citta di Aria only to load onto the track going in reverse because you know, inclines :lol:

That's cool, but why would they waste their time making a replica of that when they could've been making a replica of a GOOD car?? /s

I have a question, although the Motorwagen is a car, is it street legal today?? I guess if you owned a replica and were able to drive it, you would have to install small LED taillights and a headlight and make brackets to mount them, get a collector or hobbyist license plate and collector insurance. Oh and don't forget your slow moving vehicle sign!
Here is a guess of what it would look like:
upload_2018-6-28_0-33-9.png

That's cool, but why would they waste their time making a replica of that when they could've been making a replica of a GOOD car?? /s
Because it's a historically significant vehicle.

Because it's a historically significant vehicle.
I know. It was sarcasm... I was taking a jab at people who whine when Polyphony takes the time to add this kind of stuff to GT instead of focusing on other things. :P

I have a question, although the Motorwagen is a car, is it street legal today??
Yes.

Cars that met the requirements of street legality when they were first registered only have to meet those requirements and not more modern ones. It's known as a "grandfather clause" - rules that apply from the moment they were set into law but not retroactively.

The original, if it still existed, would only have to meet the rules of 1886, not 2018*. The replicas, built in 2001/02, would have to meet the rules of 2001/02 in order to be road legal.

*As a further caveat, in the country/countries in which it was registered; it could still be driven in other countries, but if bought and exported it would need to be re-registered in the new country, and that would be a legal wrangle and then some.

If youlove this classic icons and you are in the Netherlands you have to pay a visit to the largest privately owned classic car collection of the world --> Louman Museum the Hague

I paid a visit about amonth ago and this one comes very close to the 1886 Benz :)

And the other one is an even older motorised couch.

If you like this you can also have a look at my photo album with another 200+pics.....I'm sure you will be surprised to see some very interesting cars

IMG_20180605_113924.jpg
IMG_20180605_113735.jpg

Last edited:
If youlove this classic icons and you are in the Netherlands you have to pay a visit to the largest privately owned classic car collection of the world --> Louman Museum the Hague

I paid a visit about amonth ago and this one comes very close to the 1886 Benz :)

And the other one is an even older motorised couch.

If you like this you can also have a look at my photo album with another 200+pics.....I'm sure you will be surprised to see some very interesting cars

View attachment 747306 View attachment 747310

Wanted to post the same recommendation! Been there twice and it's a huge and beautiful collection. Cars also still used for Goodwood and the Mille Miglia for example!
If you are in the Netherlands it's really worth the effort to give this museum a visit!!

https://www.louwmanmuseum.nl/Ontdekken/Het-Museum.aspx

Last edited:
Back