TSRL: Subaru S206 NBR Challenge Cup - Season Complete | PURE_DrWatson Champ by 1 Point!Finished 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 222 comments
Results/Standings up dated. Congrats to Tim (DrWatson) for pulling off the upset championship victory by 1 single point!

Also, thanks to everyone that stuck around. I'm never really happy with half size grids but I guess that's just how it is around here lately. Even with 8 cars out there the racing was still great.

I have another series coming up, but am debating on how I am going to go around keeping the cars equal. Might post a thread for it in the next week or so, and get it running in a couple weeks. Keep an eye out for it.

--------------------------

As far as my race, still way off pace. I guess I just never really figured this car out. In any case, with others issues I tend to pull off good finishes but this time around a mistake cost me P2. Got a little too cozy with the rumble strip on the exit of the last turn and it turned me around. Managed to keep the car off the walls but CSL got around me in the process and I was just never able to catch up to him. Was making some progress but another near spin cost me just enough time that I was only able to get on his bumper exiting the last turn coming to the checkers. Oh well. :)

Great series, plenty of fun from lots of close races. 👍

This week was just hoping for a fun race and maybe some luck. Learned the track Saturday but had no idea what a good lap was. I was able to get 1:35.5xx on low fuel and thankfully @carracerptp showed up; and I was quicker which was nice confidence. Though he'd made up any gap and was on pace in warmup, with Nic right at the same near 1:35 on full fuel ballpark.

The rain was a fun wild card tough. Was gloomy but dry in qualifying and I somehow corked a super good one early, so held onto the pole by a hair. Got to the see the nasty pole placement (outside on a short run to a tight corner?) in practice so I wasn't super happy with p1 tbh... Really wanted to start second. ;)

Did a weak start and dumped 2 places in turn1. Travis spun out of 2nd though, so I was able to just tail Nic through the drizzle. Spray was hard to deal with and Nic was on a quick pace. The wet once it climbed up to ~15%+ was just enough to slide around but still be quick once we got used to it. Early turn in, let it slide to the apex and let the AWD diffs deal with the exit.

We both pitted on the same lap when it looked like the storm was leaving and the track was drying at the mid-point. Nic's box was behind mine and I was only ~1.5s back so I got balked on the way in, came out of the pits with an extra second of gap... Track dried out crazy quick when we were pitting though. We went in at about 15% and by the time I hit turn1 on the first flyer it was below 5. Cranked out full force dry laps and Nic gave me a wide exit to close into his draft. Then a deep brake at the La Source looking hairpin so I was able to scoot by. Almost pitched it into the weeds on the last corner of my first lead lap though. :lol:

Wasn't going to be enough to win it all though being in first. Luck took care of the rest in another lap when Nic lost his brake marker in the spray and broke his engine on my trunk. Both rear wheels were heavy damage throbbing targets but the car was still able to do 1:37 so I just held on while Nic pitted into 4th. Miracle complete.

Had a blast guys. 👍

I enjoyed the series. Of the few races I did compete in, I had fairly fun times.
I can't wai to see what the future brings, I just hope I can participate!

In that practice I was off pace but I was starting to get the feeling it wasn't my driving again, I have had that feeling since Laguna. Normally my first few laps are good then it feels like I overheat the tires or something. All of a sudden I lost all my early lap pace. I do a chassis rebuild after every race but I decided to buy a new 0 mile car for the race. Fixed it!

I was still kicking myself from Laguna for not staying with Nic. So my goal was to get the lead early. I think I was better under braking and I was trying to figure out the best place for an overtake only to nearly run over Nic.

I really didn't want to hit him so I tried to slide by on his outside but my rear tire clipped the grass and it was all over. Then I decided to pit for Racing Wets figuring that more rain was my only chance to get back in this but missed the pit entrance.

After that I had a few good battles but unfortunately they weren't for the lead.

Congrats Tim.

In that practice I was off pace but I was starting to get the feeling it wasn't my driving again, I have had that feeling since Laguna. Normally my first few laps are good then it feels like I overheat the tires or something. All of a sudden I lost all my early lap pace. I do a chassis rebuild after every race but I decided to buy a new 0 mile car for the race. Fixed it!
Maybe this is the issue with my car.

Maybe this is the issue with my car.

Wouldn't be surprised. It seems like some people can drive a car without a chassis refresh for hundreds of miles and never have any problems. Others like me just start losing corner stability. That car was only at ~1100 miles but maybe unlike GT5 the cars can get to many mile to fix really early?

Wouldn't be surprised. It seems like some people can drive a car without a chassis refresh for hundreds of miles and never have any problems. Others like me just start losing corner stability. That car was only at ~1100 miles but maybe unlike GT5 the cars can get to many mile to fix really early?
Mine has around 1,600 I think. The car wasn't terrible during the race, it just didn't have the speed. Like it was down on power, which it wasn't.

Mine has around 1,600 I think. The car wasn't terrible during the race, it just didn't have the speed. Like it was down on power, which it wasn't.

My car just wouldn't stabilize so I couldn't get to the power soon enough, sort of like my car irl. I really noticed this when I did a test race with Tim.

I did chassis refresh and engine rebuild on my car once before Laguna Seca and once before the RB ring race. Car has 1300 miles on it. It was worn when I did it the first time and I did it Sunday just to be sure. Though I didn't really notice anything when it was tired.

Maybe you should try my Diffs (I'll post my setup, I didn't change anything over last 3 races once I was happy with it), they were pretty well engineered for causing a bit of lift-off oversteer and canceling exit understeer.

Last edited:
Mine has 835 miles I think with no refresh or rebuild, just oil change.
I compared it to a new car this weekend, the new car was more stable but also had more understeer. The old car "feels" better to me, at least it did on Red Bull Ring.
Had a fun couple of races, took it easy, 2nd basically fell in my lap this week and I just didn't fumble it for once. Had fun, hopefully we can get something else going soon.

If anyone is interested in a multi-class series with the top class being near to GT4 specs, that's what I'm throwing around right now. @Dr_Watson is helping me out with tuning, but I need maybe 1 or 2 more people as there are over 40 cars. Could take some time to get most of them spec'd out. If anyone is interested in helping, let me know. I can get you access to the Google docs spreadsheet.

If anyone is interested in a multi-class series with the top class being near to GT4 specs, that's what I'm throwing around right now. @Dr_Watson is helping me out with tuning, but I need maybe 1 or 2 more people as there are over 40 cars. Could take some time to get most of them spec'd out. If anyone is interested in helping, let me know. I can get you access to the Google docs spreadsheet.
I could probably dig up some free time, over 40 cars sure sounds intriguing. :) 👍

Back