TSRL: Subaru S206 NBR Challenge Cup - Season Complete | PURE_DrWatson Champ by 1 Point!Finished 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 222 comments
Not having any practice until the room opened worked out better than I expected :) I was running mid to low 1:46s until about 3 minutes before qualifying started, then I finally got it. The understeer was bad, I didn't want to try tuning it out because I wouldn't have had enough time on track.

Qualifying was still close as usual ( 0.067 ). We ran it twice so it was really nerve racking in the last few minutes. I really wanted to start on the pole or 2nd to better my chances of a breakaway thanks to the draft. That never turned out to be a problem because the draft didn't seem to pull as much as I remember.

When the lights went out I had an OK start with a light bump entering 1 but no damage. I was able to break the draft but it seemed like I only had that pace for 4 laps, after that @Dr_Watson definitely had more constancy and speed. He reeled me back in just before the pit stops.

After that I ran off again and we repeated the process, he would have had me if the race was 1 lap longer ;)

Still, it seems like I have a problem with fading fast at the end of a run in this car. The same thing happened in the last race.

Yeah, was good times yesterday. Glad I got the practice in Saturday, definitely helped with the consistency. I really only made one mistake early on catching some dirt on lap 2-ish the rest of the run I was able to just concentrate on trying to keep up. I'd swear our pace got quicker and quicker the entire time. I probably could have been better tactically taking an early pit or trying to press the pass when I had closed the gap back... but you beat me to pole twice (first time by 0.018) and fast lap (by even less IIRC) so I certainly didn't feel bad about P2. Good win. 👍
Hopefully I can get some magic next week, I've always had good results at Motegi and I really need a P1 to be in the hunt here.

I tried to race on the same tune I started the season with and it just didn't work. Corner entry understeer like mad. I knew I had nothing for you freight trains up front so most of the time I just kept my eye on the mirrors to make sure Nic stayed behind me. I did manage to pull off some laps 2-3 tenths faster than I qualified, but still a full second off the fast lap set by car.

It's nice that Motegi is next because I also have to race there this weekend in the V8 series too, so I should get plenty of practice.

Think I am ready to go, joined the club and checked for unused numbers, currently residing in a red/graphite #42. Hope to have some fun today getting smeared.

Can't believe I managed to pull that off. Got hit in the back (not sure by who) on the first lap so I had damage on both rear wheels for the first stint. Held on to it for a while and then decided to pit early. When everyone else pitted the next time around, Watson came out just in front of me and was having a great out lap, started to pull away. Thankfully he made a mistake (:P) in the chicane and I was able to get by. Struggled with understeer most of the time out front and was just waiting to get passed but Watson and carracer behind me kept making mistakes so I was able to stretch the lead a bit and hang on. Considering my best lap was a :58.3xx I definitely did not have the pace to pull it off on speed alone.

Bathurst next week!

Qualifying was my practice session because I didn't get a chance to practice this week. The race was fun still. I lacked speed but I was just fast enough to ride in the draft, my only chance at a win would have been if Nic and Tim crashed out and it almost happened :lol:

I thought I could keep up with RT but in the closing laps he was just to constant. I was hoping Tim could reel him in but I messed up a brake zone and gave him a shove only hurting us more.

Can't wait for the next track!

Had fun knocking some rust off, hope I'll be able to race next week, and maybe be at least a slight bit more competitive. :)

Good job on the win RT 👍

Good race for sure. Got in a bit of practice before kick off so I'd figured out how to be quick at least, but not enough laps for consistency apparently. Nic did a 57, I got a couple 58.0's; had the split for a good 57 but chucked a couple tenths into the final chicane and came up short. Followed Nic round til he got sideways and ended up bending the front left badly at the end of lap 1 trying to dodge. Wheel was many degrees off and woblbly but I figured I'd try and stay out on the tires as many laps as bearable just chucking into corners.

carracer eventually passed me as the understeer from all the tarmac rally heavily compromised pace. So I pitted about a lap after RT IIRC and came out a bit up the road from him and Nic. Readjusting to the fixed car on my out-lap though I got too high coming into the chicane, caught the outside rear on the astro-turf stuff out there and did a big 4-wheel drift that gave the spot to RT as he came through my cloud. Which ended up being the lead as carracer pulled out of pit lane behind us. I attacked as much as possible but where I was faster wasn't anywhere useful to pass so all I did was melt my front tires looking for a gap and left with second. Made a pretty entertaining replay.

Results are posted and points have been updated. Drop rounds are now in effect. Let me know if you see any mistakes.

Points are pretty tight with the drop rounds... I need to win a race or two; and I've never raced on Mt. Panorama or even turned a lap of the RB ring so this should be interesting. :lol:

I'll try. I've been busy, but i'll try my best to race at Bathurst. :)
Hey Turbo I'm sorry I've been MIA for some time. The past holiday season was crazy for me and I've been busy ever since. I will do my best to update you if I can't make it for this weekends race. I think I will be fine tho.

Last edited:
Hey Turbo I'm sorry I've been MIA for some time. The past holiday season was crazy for me and I've been busy ever since. I will do my best to update you if I can't make it for this weekends race. I think I will be fine tho.
No problem. All I ask is that if people sign up for the whole season and then can't make it they let me know. :)

Practice time.

I'm doing 2:13, hairy chested alien time is probably in the 12's.

Last edited:
Not sure if I can make it today or not, still holding out a hope though. (need a well timed nap for the baby :D )

Back