tuning advice

• Thread starter APTmax
  • 39 comments
yes, but on a cold track a slight adjustment to lsd initial might be enough to heat the tires, i agree it would destabalize the car but cold tires destabalize it too

How so? Have you tried it? Based on a basic understanding of what an LSD does, the only way I can see how this might affect tire heat is in a bad way ... as in ... by allowing wheel spin in the corners you generate heat. However, you are also losing traction and grinding your tire down. This will not help you go faster.

My advice when tuning the LSD is start with the default settings and do some laps on a track you know well. Try and roll on the power early as you exit the corners. If the backend is getting loose, go back and watch the replay. Turn on the "View All" setting in the replay to see all the data. Watch the tire heat at the point when the car is beginning to get throttle induced oversteer. How balanced is the heat from the left and right rear tires? If it's spinning that outside tire way too easily, you can use the LSD to fix this problem. Crank up the Acceleration settings and try it again. As you crank it up, you should get less and less corner exit oversteer. Again, this is for corner exit only during acceleration, and it's completely independent of ambient temperature. Hope that helps.

How so? Have you tried it? Based on a basic understanding of what an LSD does, the only way I can see how this might affect tire heat is in a bad way ... as in ... by allowing wheel spin in the corners you generate heat. However, you are also losing traction and grinding your tire down. This will not help you go faster.

My advice when tuning the LSD is start with the default settings and do some laps on a track you know well. Try and roll on the power early as you exit the corners. If the backend is getting loose, go back and watch the replay. Turn on the "View All" setting in the replay to see all the data. Watch the tire heat at the point when the car is beginning to get throttle induced oversteer. How balanced is the heat from the left and right rear tires? If it's spinning that outside tire way too easily, you can use the LSD to fix this problem. Crank up the Acceleration settings and try it again. As you crank it up, you should get less and less corner exit oversteer. Again, this is for corner exit only during acceleration, and it's completely independent of ambient temperature. Hope that helps.
A high LSD accel will prevent the outside tire from spinning?
I sure hope it doesn't, haven't tried it yet.

A high LSD accel will prevent the outside tire from spinning?
I sure hope it doesn't, haven't tried it yet.

No, but it will change how power is applied to the two tires. As the LSD accel increases, the more you move towards rear differential lock (both wheels turning at the same rate.) The reason this can help reduce corner exit oversteer is because during cornering, the grip of the outside tire is being tested both by lateral Gs and throttle induced acceleration. The inside tire is not doing it's fare share of the work. Because of this, it is much easier to spin the outside tire as the added forces on the tire quickly outmatch it's friction limits. This results in a loss of power exiting the turn (or worse). With the LSD acceleration turned up, you are basically telling the diff ... don't let that outside wheel spin independently of the inside tire ... or allow less of that.

With that in mind, you might be tempted to think that dialing this up would always be a good thing. And actually, it depends on the power of your car. Sometimes you want a little slippage in the rear, like when a car has classic understeer and corners like a pig. Sometimes a little bit of excess tire rotation on the outside is all that is needed for lower hp cars to get them to give you that glorious throttle steering. So it's a balancing act.

At the end of the day, you just have to get out there and test it. Hope that helps.

Sounds good. I'll probably have some questions for you after I finally get to play it. My PS3 died about 1 hour prior to attempting to load GT6:(

Thank you all. I never micro managed my tune before and truly need an Idiots guide to basic tuning. Crank the downforce from the aero package and be done with it :)

No, but it will change how power is applied to the two tires. As the LSD accel increases, the more you move towards rear differential lock (both wheels turning at the same rate.) The reason this can help reduce corner exit oversteer is because during cornering, the grip of the outside tire is being tested both by lateral Gs and throttle induced acceleration. The inside tire is not doing it's fare share of the work. Because of this, it is much easier to spin the outside tire as the added forces on the tire quickly outmatch it's friction limits. This results in a loss of power exiting the turn (or worse). With the LSD acceleration turned up, you are basically telling the diff ... don't let that outside wheel spin independently of the inside tire ... or allow less of that.

With that in mind, you might be tempted to think that dialing this up would always be a good thing. And actually, it depends on the power of your car. Sometimes you want a little slippage in the rear, like when a car has classic understeer and corners like a pig. Sometimes a little bit of excess tire rotation on the outside is all that is needed for lower hp cars to get them to give you that glorious throttle steering. So it's a balancing act.

At the end of the day, you just have to get out there and test it. Hope that helps.
I'll have to see if that's how it works in GT6.

obviously i was misinformed, thanks for the advice! still trying to figure out all this haha

obviously i was misinformed, thanks for the advice! still trying to figure out all this haha

No sweat. Glad to help. In my sig is a link to my Miata tuning thread. In it, I go into excruciating detail about the process I use to test the tuning adjustments. So when you feel like digging a little deeper, give that a read and see if that helps.

No sweat. Glad to help. In my sig is a link to my Miata tuning thread. In it, I go into excruciating detail about the process I use to test the tuning adjustments. So when you feel like digging a little deeper, give that a read and see if that helps.
sounds great, im a novice tuner but i felt like noone was doing anything to help people who have no clue at all so i was trying to help!

sounds great, im a novice tuner but i felt like noone was doing anything to help people who have no clue at all so i was trying to help!

My advice ... start with one car, one that you love or have a personal connection with. Take that car and tune it until you cannot eek another thousandth of a second out of it. You'll learn a lot in the process. Then share the tune for that car and you will be helping the community. Keep in mind that a tune is tuned to a driver and that driver's driving style, so while you may love the tune after all the hard work, it may still not fit the driving style of other drivers. So get feedback from a wide variety of drivers about what they liked and didn't like. And before you know it, people will be coming to you looking for advice. Good luck.

Back