tuning advice

• Thread starter APTmax
  • 39 comments
United States
United States
rio1996
hey all i think ive figured out a basic how to for tuning in gt6 (havent got tranny down yet) so feel free to ask any tuning related questions and ill do my best to answer correctly!

soon i will be finalizing my how-to guide and posting it

also im obviously nowhere near as proficient a tuner as you, thats why everyone knows hami and noone knows me lol

How you tune your vehicle depends on the car, what you're using it for, which track you're on, how you drive, etc. I don't see how you can have tuning "figured out" outside of reciting the info provided in the tuning section.

How you tune your vehicle depends on the car, what you're using it for, which track you're on, how you drive, etc. I don't see how you can have tuning "figured out" outside of reciting the info provided in the tuning section.
agian, i THINK i MAY have a good formula down for doing a general tune. im not claiming to have mastered anything, not even bragging just trying to help people who are stuck with their tune, thats it. christ above.

Alright, if you have a question about tuning i think i can help. im going to go ahead and retract my earlier statement of figuring it out cause obviously that pisses people off. ill just leave it to the "experts"

How do I make my car oversteer more, aside from rear toe and downforce?
you could try increasing Lsd accel, that should destablize the car and let it slip, also set lsd initial and braking to five as this should both cause erratic grip and liftoff oversteer

lets just say sleep hasnt been a priority, and i dont mean i am now a master of gt6 physics and tuning, i mean i have figured out a general method that works

Just curious about how crazy you are. I was prepared to be either really impressed by the number of hours or really underwhelmed.

I only have 9 hours in so far; 3 each day. I have noticed that ALL cars are more fun to drive than in previous titles. I have also noticed that there are wider differences between all of the cars that I have driven. Some seem to have more personality. I am just starting to play with tuning setups. I am nowhere near ready to publish any results.

Loving GT6 so far.

Think you could give me a bit of advice on the Lotus Elise? It's behaving like a real Lotus Elise, and I need to cure that :). I have pushed most of the braking to the front, and mirrored a race set-up of -1.5° F camber and -2.5° R camber, but the thing is still impossibly lively, and under full straight-line braking the ass still wants to go left or right. This is the one thing I miss about GT5.

Think you could give me a bit of advice on the Lotus Elise? It's behaving like a real Lotus Elise, and I need to cure that :). I have pushed most of the braking to the front, and mirrored a race set-up of -1.5° F camber and -2.5° R camber, but the thing is still impossibly lively, and under full straight-line braking the ass still wants to go left or right. This is the one thing I miss about GT5.
I haven't tuned anything in GT yet, but two basics from GT5 should hold. The most dramatic and effective ways to work on massive oversteer was custom LSD and setting the decel figure much higher, 30+ and...ballast to the front. Max ballast on the Elise should turn it into an understeering tank...lol.

Start with 50 kg to the front and see what that does. When you get close with ballast, throw on custom LSD and set Accel to 30 to start and take if from there.

Good luck. Let us know if you fix this.:cheers:

Hey guys you all know me. I have spent about 10hrs tuning and here is what I have figured out. general tune to get your car around the track ONLINE with out spinning out. First the springs rates work different in GT6 than GT5.. A softer front and stiffer rear will make it oversteer.. A stiffer front spring than rear will tighten the car up. Adding camber to either the front or rear will loosen or tighten it up. For max grip I have been running no camber in front or rear. But testing if I add camber in the front it pushes. If I add camber in the rear it loosens the car up. I have been using both roll bars on 7 believe it or not. But they work like springs smaller bar in the front than rear oversteer. Smaller bar in the rear than front understeer. But a difference of 1 or two clicks in front or rear makes the car do funky things. front toe I havent played with much yet and anything under 80 for ride height front and rear my cars dont like. But I do have +2 bigger wheels than stock and they could be hitting the inside of the finder. I have been tuning with a CSL so its a easy car to get an idea of what each thing does. Dampers I havent got play with either. I wanted to make sure before I spoke that what I was saying was what is going on in the game. So here is the tune or close to general idea I start out with every car to get it to go around the track decent. This has been all online as offline seems different like it did at first in GT5.

springs= 11.5/7.5
Ride height= 80/80
dampers comp 4/4
dampers ext 4/4
roll bars 7/7
camber= 0.0/0.0
toe= 0.0/0.0 or up to 0.20 ( to help tighten up car )
LSD= 10/15/10

Set just about any car up like this or with this idea in mind and you should be close enough to fine tune from there. Every persons spring rate and and ride height and roll bars will change a little but just TRY setting roll bars at max stiff set you front springs about 3 numbers more than your rear springs and so on and go drive the car online and see if its not at least driving ok... So CSLACR if you want your car to rotate more without using rear toe get the rear spring same as or more than the front. ADD rear camber try 4.0 the car will almost spin out going straight lol.. Or use a little bigger rear roll bar than the front and keep font camber at 0.0.. This has been done all online and its just to get you close. Im sure it can be tweeked and worked and with all the updates to come will change. But with these general settings you should be able to do more than a lap with out spinning out and enjoy the cars some.. Let me know what you experts find out..... Ohh this has been done with STREET cars only no aero.. Cant go online now as Playstation network is down but give it a try. it was done with all aids turned off except ABS..

Last edited:
springs= 11.5/7.5
Ride height= 80/80
dampers comp 4/4
dampers ext 4/4
roll bars 7/7
camber= 0.0/0.0
LSD= 10/15/10

Not such bad advice at all. Other than use a stronger LSD, I do it only slightly different.

Toe at 0.0/0.0, ride height at default setting, springs at default setting, roll bar at default, camber(-) at 1.0/1.0

Take the thing for a 20 second drive, if its too mushy, then up springs big time, roll bars to max, maybe lower ride height.

Drive again and maybe re-adjust those settings, and next, adjust rear toe.

Lastly it's front toe for steering responsiveness and fine adjustments.

Test, tweak, test, repeat.

I haven't tuned anything in GT yet, but two basics from GT5 should hold. The most dramatic and effective ways to work on massive oversteer was custom LSD and setting the decel figure much higher, 30+ and...ballast to the front. Max ballast on the Elise should turn it into an understeering tank...lol.

Start with 50 kg to the front and see what that does. When you get close with ballast, throw on custom LSD and set Accel to 30 to start and take if from there.

Good luck. Let us know if you fix this.:cheers:

Thanks for the advice! The only thing is, I love the car because the turn-in is immediate, no understeer at all, so I need to preserve that, just add some stability. I added a rear spoiler and maxed out the downforce, but it didn't seem to help much. In GT5 the car is super stable, with 0 understeer, and I just want that back. I didn't know about this LSD thing, I'll do that first!!

Not such bad advice at all. Other than use a stronger LSD, I do it only slightly different.

Toe at 0.0/0.0, ride height at default setting, springs at default setting, roll bar at default, camber(-) at 1.0/1.0

Take the thing for a 20 second drive, if its too mushy, then up springs big time, roll bars to max, maybe lower ride height.

nice advice i'm about to try it now and see how it works on a gtr 09 spec v

now tried your setting with just a lil tweak here and there on my ford gt runs like a dream doing back my regular lap time i had on gt5 on one track i beat it by 1.5 sec thanks big time

Just curious about how crazy you are. I was prepared to be either really impressed by the number of hours or really underwhelmed.

I only have 9 hours in so far; 3 each day. I have noticed that ALL cars are more fun to drive than in previous titles. I have also noticed that there are wider differences between all of the cars that I have driven. Some seem to have more personality. I am just starting to play with tuning setups. I am nowhere near ready to publish any results.

Loving GT6 so far.
all i have been tuning is trying to understand tuning and i have 30+ hours right now. and yes i totally agree, the biggest difference ive noticed is how the cars handle like the generation they came from, my 57' bmw handle like its from 1957 instead of just feeling like any other car with less power. there is definetly more personality in the cars, especially the classics. and yes i am thinking about publishing something but its not detailed, its not even that indepth, im just wanting to get something out there that explains everything ive found out about tuning in this game. im a novice tuner, i just have alot of hours in so i wanted to help the guys who dont.

How can I make my tune work well on circuits with variable temperature?
variable temperature circuits are an issue because a colder circuit give less tyre heat, i havent looked into this yet so my only suggestion will be play around witht the lsd settings specifically accel and initial and see if it helps

just built the shelby gt 500 cant keep it on track at all with 1000hp and de powerred to 600hp any suspension tuning n gear ratios as of yet???
i cant help you with gearing but i suggest a rear wing, high lsd initial to keep the oversteer away, and find the sweetspot on lsd accel to makesure that when your exiting corners you arnt heating up your drivewheel too much

Hey guys you all know me. I have spent about 10hrs tuning and here is what I have figured out. general tune to get your car around the track ONLINE with out spinning out. First the springs rates work different in GT6 than GT5.. A softer front and stiffer rear will make it oversteer.. A stiffer front spring than rear will tighten the car up. Adding camber to either the front or rear will loosen or tighten it up. For max grip I have been running no camber in front or rear. But testing if I add camber in the front it pushes. If I add camber in the rear it loosens the car up. I have been using both roll bars on 7 believe it or not. But they work like springs smaller bar in the front than rear oversteer. Smaller bar in the rear than front understeer. But a difference of 1 or two clicks in front or rear makes the car do funky things. front toe I havent played with much yet and anything under 80 for ride height front and rear my cars dont like. But I do have +2 bigger wheels than stock and they could be hitting the inside of the finder. I have been tuning with a CSL so its a easy car to get an idea of what each thing does. Dampers I havent got play with either. I wanted to make sure before I spoke that what I was saying was what is going on in the game. So here is the tune or close to general idea I start out with every car to get it to go around the track decent. This has been all online as offline seems different like it did at first in GT5.

springs= 11.5/7.5
Ride height= 80/80
dampers comp 4/4
dampers ext 4/4
roll bars 7/7
camber= 0.0/0.0
LSD= 10/15/10

Set just about any car up like this or with this idea in mind and you should be close enough to fine tune from there. Every persons spring rate and and ride height and roll bars will change a little but just TRY setting roll bars at max stiff set you front springs about 3 numbers more than your rear springs and so on and go drive the car online and see if its not at least driving ok... So CSLACR if you want your car to rotate more without using rear toe get the rear spring same as or more than the front. ADD rear camber try 4.0 the car will almost spin out going straight lol.. Or use a little bigger rear roll bar than the front and keep font camber at 0.0.. This has been done all online and its just to get you close. Im sure it can be tweeked and worked and with all the updates to come will change. But with these general settings you should be able to do more than a lap with out spinning out and enjoy the cars some.. Let me know what you experts find out..... Ohh this has been done with STREET cars only no aero.. Cant go online now as Playstation network is down but give it a try. it was done with all aids turned off except ABS..
very similar to what i am doing except i start with lower spring rate and lower antiroll because its hard to tune the lsd with out being able to feel the tendancies of the car, also i leave stock ride height in the beggining. very good advice though, tried your setup and it seemed to be a great starting point!

Cool thats all it is is a starting point. Some guys cant make it a lap without spinning out with the new stuff so I just wanted to post something that would get you started. Little less roll bars and stock ride height is good. 80 is the lowest im using on ride height some cars higher... Those springs im using are on RS tires.. I forgot to mention im tuning on RS for now..

Cool thats all it is is a starting point. Some guys cant make it a lap without spinning out with the new stuff so I just wanted to post something that would get you started. Little less roll bars and stock ride height is good. 80 is the lowest im using on ride height some cars higher... Those springs im using are on RS tires.. I forgot to mention im tuning on RS for now..
thats all im trying to do, im not a great tuner, im just trying to help people out, i would kill to learn from hami or praiano, compared to them i know nothing i just have more hours in sofar

variable temperature circuits are an issue because a colder circuit give less tyre heat, i havent looked into this yet so my only suggestion will be play around witht the lsd settings specifically accel and initial and see if it helps

I doubt that LSD settings will help much. The LSD only really helps during acceleration out of the corner or during braking coming into the corner. And adjustments will simply add understeer or oversteer. Temperature only comes into play with regard to tire compound. A softer tire is going to generate more heat. A harder tire will resist heat longer.

I doubt that LSD settings will help much. The LSD only really helps during acceleration out of the corner or during braking coming into the corner. And adjustments will simply add understeer or oversteer. Temperature only comes into play with regard to tire compound. A softer tire is going to generate more heat. A harder tire will resist heat longer.
yes, but on a cold track a slight adjustment to lsd initial might be enough to heat the tires, i agree it would destabalize the car but cold tires destabalize it too

Back