Turn 10 Reveals New Details on Forza Motorsport 8

I'm interested in hearing more on what they mean by "built not bought". I've long-maintained that I'd love to see a racing game that made your car collection more personal to you somehow, versus a Pokemon-style "gotta catch em all" thing where you just try to own all of them, and 90% of them you either never touch at all, or dabble with for five minutes.

I'd also be curious to see what progression looks like in a game where getting credits to buy cars is no longer the core loop.

Earning money to buy upgrades? (I remember a NFS working like that, with you upgrading your car over time.) I also wonder if they're gonna reduce the car list BUT make them all customable with lots of options.

Earning money to buy upgrades? (I remember a NFS working like that, with you upgrading your car over time.) I also wonder if they're gonna reduce the car list BUT make them all customable with lots of options.

I'm not so sure about the latter. The large car selection has sort-of become Forza's defining calling card since Gran Turismo dropped that particular ball. They'd be shedding a big part of the "Forza" identity if they did that.

Having a massive number of really granular upgrades could make for a cool progression system - where you can really get into the nitty gritty of your car, and maybe even add branded parts to the game. This would require the sound in the game to be really on point though, so you can actually hear the difference, since it's not like you're going to SEE most of this stuff.

But frankly, I still expect buying cars to be a thing in the game, regardless of what they say now. Right now the community is just going to over-analyze and over-emphasize every syllable of every word, as being concrete evidence of a massive change, and not the PR fluff it (probably) is.

I'm not so sure about the latter. The large car selection has sort-of become Forza's defining calling card since Gran Turismo dropped that particular ball. They'd be shedding a big part of the "Forza" identity if they did that.

They have hinted about coming up with a way to build cars (and tracks) more easily so they can add DLC over time, which worked for GTS.
Not saying this would be my choice, just a hunch I have.

Having a massive number of really granular upgrades could make for a cool progression system - where you can really get into the nitty gritty of your car, and maybe even add branded parts to the game. This would require the sound in the game to be really on point though, so you can actually hear the difference, since it's not like you're going to SEE most of this stuff.

I really think they're gonna try and go that deep with it. It's the one thing they have over the GT series.

I really think they're gonna try and go that deep with it. It's the one thing they have over the GT series.

Sure, and if they do I hope they go really in-depth. Instead of "Stock", "Street" and "Race" flywheels, maybe have actual real-world branded flywheel models that all have different characteristics. Instead of "Race" tires", have a bunch of different tire brands, models, and compounds. And so on.

All want from Forza 8 is not try and copy GTS. For me, I love to collect cars now, and reducing the car list just because some people want a GTS clone will be a stupid idea, if not awful. Not everything should revolve around esports or anything similar please.

This "Built not Bought" sounds interesting but I don't quite understand it, so T10 needs to explain more on that one. Locking cars behind "progression" isn't what I call "progession" anymore imo (if you don't know what I mean, take a look at FH4 for examples).

All cars should be unlocked especially for Freeplay Mode (the best mode in FM7), but in career mode you should work towards earning all of them, or build upon the ones you already have for tough events, etc.

What T10 should do, is make a vastly different Forza game but still keep the spirit of Forza in it (feature and content wise). Try mimicking the old Forzas. Because as far as I can tell, people just want a FM4 remake. This is where features and content comes in; gather everything that made Forza famous and built upon it - like Clubs and the Race Regulation, while adding new stuff above all of that.

A GTS 2.0 is not going to cut it. You will just be driving away all of your fanbase for hardcores who will just complain if there isn't any thing they want. Many already has a hard on Forza after FM7, so going that route wouldn't be a smart move. People seriously need to drop that mindset, really.

Being another car collecting game is exactly why this game hasn't gone anywhere on this generation of consoles. Horizon is already a car collecting game so why do they need both to do this? They don't. It's about time they did something interesting with the motorsport series, the past few iterations of this game made me question why they even have motorsport in the title.

The FM community is already small as is and has been dwindling since the fm4 days. Tbh I woudn't be surprised if they stopped making this series in favor of Horizon anyway.

Last edited:
Being another car collecting game is exactly why this game hasn't gone anywhere on this generation of consoles. Horizon is already a car collecting game so why do they need both to do this?
Because FM1 was the one that started that first place and NOT Horizon. If you think turning this game into something like GTS is going to make this franchise any better, think again....

The FM community is already small as is, tbh I woudn't be surprised if they stopped making this series in favor of Horizon anyway.
Oh stop it. Turn 10 aren't stupid enough to end Motorsport for Horizon. It's just that the fanbase is so diverse there's no set point anymore.

Because FM1 was the one that started that first place and NOT Horizon. If you think turning this game into something like GTS is going to make this franchise any better, think again....

Oh stop it. Turn 10 aren't stupid enough to end Motorsport for Horizon. It's just that the fanbase is so diverse there's no set point anymore.

FM is in the same state as GT5/GT6 was, scatterbrained. More focus on online racing made GTS better than the old ones in that regard. TBH, no other game is better than GTS when it comes to online racing on consoles. So yeah, maybe it would make the franchise better instead of the same old stagnant **** every 2 years.

FM is in the same state as GT5/GT6 was, scatterbrained. More focus on online racing made GTS better than the old ones in that regard. TBH, no other game is better than GTS when it comes to online racing on consoles. So yeah, maybe it would make the franchise better instead of the same old stagnant **** every 2 years.
Lol. So, technically what you're saying is: Focus more online racing and nothing else. Yeah no, that's NOT what will make the ENTIRE franchise better. The online side yes, but everything no...

All I've been saying is they need to make the motorsport series more focused on MOTORSPORT instead of being another car collecting game, they already have Horizon for that.

Last edited:
All I've been saying is they need to make the motorsport series more focused on MOTORSPORT instead of being a car collecting game, they already have Horizon for that.
But they are though. :confused: There's racecars from different eras of motorsport.

Look, I'm not disagreeing T10 needs to improve their online mode (which they heartily do because it's a mess). I'm just saying they shouldn't give up making "a game" like GT did with GTS.

All I've been saying is they need to make the motorsport series more focused on MOTORSPORT instead of being a car collecting game, they already have Horizon for that.
I do like the car collection aspect of Forza (I had over 1200 cars in my GT5 Garage), but I do agree a heavier focus on actual Motorsports is needed. simply having a bunch of racecars in the game isn't enough.
I'd like to see the race regulation system tested in FM7 made standard in FM8 multiplayer, and as an option in single player (since I do most of my racing in single player). I'd also love Multi-bucket Le-mans/WEC style racing, and one make spec racing championships (outside of those one-off Homologation divisions FM7 had) in Career mode.

I think going by what we know right now they seem to be going in a more serious motorsport direction.

First let's look at FM7's post-launch changes.
- A majority of the cars they added post-season pass in FM7 were race cars.
- They added Experimental Drag Racing to FM7, which would seem to hint at a further emphasis on that discipline of racing in the future.
- They also overhauled the drifting aspect of the game, granted this certainly benefited both titles. The fact they added it to FM7 though could also hint at an increased emphasis on this discipline as well.
- Partial(?) implementation of race regulations.

Now, we don't really know much about FM8 apart from the fact it's been given a broader development window, but the fact they are working on dynamic track conditions would seemingly further indicate that it will be more serious than FM7 was.

I just hope if they add off-road race cars/trucks they actually add some tracks for them this time. :banghead:

Why are people complaining about having all cars at the start? Don't people complain about progression and grind like on GT games?

Dunno if they will have all cars available at free/multiplayer, which is what's desired.

All want from Forza 8 is not try and copy GTS. For me, I love to collect cars now, and reducing the car list just because some people want a GTS clone will be a stupid idea, if not awful. Not everything should revolve around esports or anything similar please.

This "Built not Bought" sounds interesting but I don't quite understand it, so T10 needs to explain more on that one. Locking cars behind "progression" isn't what I call "progession" anymore imo (if you don't know what I mean, take a look at FH4 for examples).

All cars should be unlocked especially for Freeplay Mode (the best mode in FM7), but in career mode you should work towards earning all of them, or build upon the ones you already have for tough events, etc.

What T10 should do, is make a vastly different Forza game but still keep the spirit of Forza in it (feature and content wise). Try mimicking the old Forzas. Because as far as I can tell, people just want a FM4 remake. This is where features and content comes in; gather everything that made Forza famous and built upon it - like Clubs and the Race Regulation, while adding new stuff above all of that.

A GTS 2.0 is not going to cut it. You will just be driving away all of your fanbase for hardcores who will just complain if there isn't any thing they want. Many already has a hard on Forza after FM7, so going that route wouldn't be a smart move. People seriously need to drop that mindset, really.
I don't know why people want GTS clone, it's not that big anyways in racing community (Forza is still a benchmark to measure racing games like "still can't beat Forza"/"wow it's better than Forza").

I think mimicking old Forza and vastly different Forza sounds quite contradictory. Also aren't those wanting FM4 remake may just be dwindling in their nostalgia filter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I'm going to buy an Xbox next gen, and Forza was a deciding factor that is irrelevant now.

When will they understand that people care about the disciplines of racing instead of just giving the player a shiny car skin to drive?

Also, they need to get rid of that BS superhero race car driver crap.

I like the idea of all cars being available from the start being a car collector. Maybe drive a specific class enough times to unlock the next class for racing. My main peeve in previous games was the unicorn cars.

I am not sure how many cars are in GTS but they are adding to the number every month.

I think a few others have already said it, but I’m ok with the whole roster being available as long as they still require money to buy. Hell, I’m fine if it means upping the price of the cars drastically to include a bit more time needed to own them; the game throws money at you pretty religiously after a while, esp. if you bought into VIP.

Here are my thoughts on how they should proceed:

1) Make all cars available to purchase from a dealership eventually*, with a few different types of dealerships: Basic for cars less than 10 years old, Classic for cars 10-60 years old, and Vintage for cars older than 60 years. Each dealership would have its own style and layout, and maybe have something similar to GT4 in the Classic and Vintage dealerships where the selection will be on a rotational basis (every 24 hours?) so you may be surprised at what shows up, but you will be able to purchase all the vehicles at some point (if you choose).

*Some cars could be locked behind offline race series' or events, but once unlocked, would be easily available for repurchase if you would like a duplicate.

1A) The only cars that T10 should lock behind online events are specialty versions of the cars already found in game (i.e. Forza Edition cars). I would make an exception if they introduced new vehicles to the series in online events, to allow those who want them early to try to get them, and then released them to the dealership for everyone else maybe a few weeks later.

2) Make more race series that cater to the "odd", off-road, and non-racecar vehicles. People complain when T10 adds strange or "unnecessary" vehicles to the game, so they should make events that cater to them specifically. They need to make rally races, off-road courses, "LeMons" style events, and heck some destruction style races where the damage is always on and the goal is to allow bumping and try to make it to the finish line. I know that some of this is stuff you can already do in the Horizon series, but these would have pre-defined tracks and would allow for some more variety in free-mode tracks.

3) They really need people dedicated to making new wheels, bodykits, "trim level-specific" body parts, off-road accessories, "Pep-Boys" style accessories, and some more wacky accessories for vehicles that allows for much more uniqueness. They could really open up the world when you could make, say, 5-10 different vehicles out of one "base" car, without even touching the paint shop. I also think it would be cool if they added different tire "designs" for each tire type.

3) They really need people dedicated to making new wheels, bodykits, "trim level-specific" body parts, off-road accessories, "Pep-Boys" style accessories, and some more wacky accessories for vehicles that allows for much more uniqueness. They could really open up the world when you could make, say, 5-10 different vehicles out of one "base" car, without even touching the paint shop. I also think it would be cool if they added different tire "designs" for each tire type.
I'd Gladly join that team. I make Fallout 4 mods that are all about adding extra customization options to Clothing and weapons, I Could maybe apply those skills to Forza.

Everyone got their pitchforks ready? Good.

Unlock cars and tracks through progression.
This includes career and multiplayer. Once unlocked you can use in free play.

Bury them all behind a paywall for the impatient ones.
Whatever happend to feeling rewarded by earning something?

Everyone got their pitchforks ready? Good.

Unlock cars and tracks through progression.
This includes career and multiplayer. Once unlocked you can use in free play.

Bury them all behind a paywall for the impatient ones.
Whatever happend to feeling rewarded by earning something?

Adulthood happens and you get your feelings of being rewarded from more meaningful accomplisments. The day stresses you out and at night you just want to relax, disconnect from the real world in which everything is behind some form of 'unlock barrier'.

Also, why do you want to ruin the fun for those who don't like your preffered way of play? Can't you just stay away from Free-Play and play in the mode that suits your style? This way, everyone gets what they want out of the game.

I can see both sides.

Some want a good challenge others want to sit on a couch with a controller.
That’s why I loved Assetto Corsa challenges it reminded me of the old Gran Tursimo days when license tests were difficult.
Adulthood happend to me 25 years ago but still seek out the challenging games.

I can see both sides.

Some want a good challenge others want to sit on a couch with a controller.
That’s why I loved Assetto Corsa challenges it reminded me of the old Gran Tursimo days when license tests were difficult.
Adulthood happend to me 25 years ago but still seek out the challenging games.

I too see both sides. That's why I disagree with anyone trying to sacrifice any one game mode for the other.

I find challenge in the racing itself. I don't need to have something extra dangling in front of me to motivate to boot up the game and race, but that's just me, personally.

Sometimes you do get free-time, even in adulthood, but you also want do diversify your hobbies, which reduces the time available for each one. When I was young, I was a completionist, I never stopped until I completed and unlocked everything, just because it was there to unlock and I didn't have it yet. This, however, has led me to have many hours of play that weren't really play, but rather more like a chore to get to the fun part. I ended the session more tired than satisfied. I've given up on that and now I focus just on what I like most in the game. It makes my experience with each game much more enjoyable.

I guess, after that dabble, what I want to say is we end up wanting different things in our games and, as long as it's not forced on you, more features are always welcome, to give players the ability to shape their experience. Those, to me, are the best games.

Sucks to be T10, people losing their mind over some content in another game, that they delivered on day 1?
This is why I won't blame them for shipping the next game with less content on release.

· Only a few cars of each class are unlocked at the beginning. Wins progressively unlock more and more stuff. You can race "any class" but you still have to work to get the best vehicles.

· Most cars are unlocked at the beginning but they're used/old/damaged. The paint looks a bit bad and the performance is not up to the car's potential. The more you win, the more cars get restored and you also unlock the ones that were locked at first.
So you're asking to keep going with an extremely similar idea of locking cars behind events and being rewarded for playing the game? People literally cry to the gods constantly in asinine ways about this aspect. @HyperSpeeder would probably have his 69th heart attack.

Well that screenshot suggests turbofans are a customisable option. That alone is a worth the price of admission.
It's been a customization option for many Forza games already.

All I've been saying is they need to make the motorsport series more focused on MOTORSPORT instead of being another car collecting game, they already have Horizon for that.
What's the reasoning that doesn't let you think they could both exist in the same game?

What's the reasoning that doesn't let you think they could both exist in the same game?

Forgetting that half the reason that Forza has had success since the move onto PC is because it offers a massive car list to use and to build to your own preference - and because in some regards, it filled the holes that GT left behind when it went chasing after iRacing. To remove it in order to go after some ideal 'motorsport' aspect when the 'true sim racers' that would be interested in such a move wouldn't even touch Forza to begin with, and would go back to Assetto Corsa/PCARS/whatever else they play, seems incredibly pointless, and would be handicapping Forza as a series even more.

I really don't envy T10 - it's obvious something needs to be changed with Forza 8, but what it is, is ever shifting. Some want just yet another PC style sim racer (forgetting that you'd be killing any and all of what makes Forza interesting and viable in this day and age) and some want to add Forza style elements to make things interesting...but then you'd be pissing off people when they're pointed out as one trick ponies that sound better on paper then they do in actual execution. And as mentioned, people already give (rightfully, in some regards) guff to Playground for the locked cars aspect in Horizon 4, and some want cars to be locked behind asinine ideas like having half or more of the vehicles in a certain class locked from the start, or something dumb that would make things even more of a chore then they already are?

I prefer it has a hard core simulation options and keep all the arcade options it already has for rookies.

Last edited:
I agree when TokoTurismo says that it would be a mistake if forza becomes a GT clon, though I said in previous message that Forza should be improve the interface to be more elegant like GT. Its hard to me to explain, but I don't know why, when I playing GT6 or when I seeing Gran turismo Sport videos I can appreciate a more elegant atmosphere, minimalist, with more "love and care" behind it.

Collecting cars is a good way to encourage to people to still playing the game, i wouldn't don't make all available at start except in the free mode. The best mode of Forza in my opinión. In otherwise, I prefer new cars than forza edition cars, specially when these looks identical, all with width body kits imitating RWB style…..If turn10 want to put tuned cars, put real models, for example from HKS, top secret, mines or Spoon preparers.

Anyway, for the next Forza is imperative to put an animated boxes, with mechanics changing wheels and putting gasoline, etc. And of course Qualification and warm lap before to start a race.

I prefer it has a hard core simulation options and keep all the arcade options it already has for rookies.
That's not how it works. You're talking about assists, not physics simulation. The physics simulation isn't changing because you choose a different assist than someone else, it's all the same thing just with different handicaps.

Latest Posts

Back