Turn 10 Reveals New Details on Forza Motorsport 8

So you're asking to keep going with an extremely similar idea of locking cars behind events and being rewarded for playing the game? People literally cry to the gods constantly in asinine ways about this aspect. @HyperSpeeder would probably have his 69th heart attack.
It's about making people play the game you worked hard on but making collecting as dumb as possible so ANYONE can do it.

At the start you'd have a couple of LMP cars, a couple of GTE cars, a couple of GT3 cars, a couple of rallycars, a couple of touring cars, a bunch of D-class/C-class/B-class/etc. Enough to enjoy the full game but, you know, not everything is there. You don't need to win everything to unlock it all, just participate, do laps, add miles to the odometer, PLAY THE GODDAMN GAME (of course wins would shorten the amount of hours needed, DUH).

It's about making people play the game you worked hard on but making collecting as dumb as possible so ANYONE can do it.
I wasn't exactly disagreeing with you, I was just poking fun at something that someone flips out about constantly. I for one like progression based rewards and don't mind having to play a game, that I'm already playing, to unlock vehicles.

"A new atmospheric pressure system will accurately see air density affecting a vehicle’s aerodynamics, power, and tire pressure."

Do Forza players really care about this?

Next gen we will get another Forza 5 style game, light on content as its a new gen launch title - but it will have some flashy gimmicks like the above, and "tyre beading into the surface".

"A new atmospheric pressure system will accurately see air density affecting a vehicle’s aerodynamics, power, and tire pressure." and "tyre beading into the surface".

Exactly!

All sounds fantastic, but totally unnecessary!

Next gen we will get another Forza 5 style game, light on content as its a new gen launch title
Doesn't need to be, I think the car models are already good enough, Especially since the Forza Vista models are already higher quality then the gameplay models (unless you set car detail to Extreme on PC). As far as graphical improvements for a next gen Forza, Lighting, Materials, and effects are the things I think would benefit the most. Maybe some improved parallax mapping and/or tessellation for track details. And some real time ray tracing as well, especially for Photomode.

"A new atmospheric pressure system will accurately see air density affecting a vehicle’s aerodynamics, power, and tire pressure."

Um, no. Better AI behavior, ability to restart a race exactly in the same grid position, things like that are what I care about.

Sounds promising

What I would like in no specific order.

1. Better Menu music. The current music makes me want to sleep.
2. Better AI. AI that really fights and makes mistakes etc.
3. Full Day and night cycle with dynamic weather with an option how fast time is progressing.
4. Lots of new Tracks. You can have all the new features but not having many new tracks and it will still feel like been there done that.
5. lots of freedom in creating custom races/championships. Recreate WEC races with multiple classes.
Choose specific cars like creating A 911 cup. Select multiple cars and just have them race each other in stock form so you can really see the difference in performance.
6. Make the tracks look more alive.
7. Good wheel support from the start.
8. A more realistic Graphics direction/Filter. It feels too much like a cartoon now.
9. They need to delete that Homologation. It really felt like a limiting factor during the whole game.
10. More freedom in Customization as in Need for Speed Heat.
11. 60FPS replays with much trackside cameras. The way Gran Turismo does it. Replays have been a weak part of FM since the beginning.

1. Better Menu music. The current music makes me want to sleep.
Agreed, FM7's music sound like an amateur dad rock garage band. For my FM7 videos on my Youtube channel I muted the in-game music then added FM6's soundtrack in during editing.
3. Full Day and night cycle with dynamic weather with an option how fast time is progressing.
Agreed, the half-arsed dynamic-ish time and weather in FM7 is kind of a disappointment, especially since GT5 did a vastly better job of it on the PS3.
5. lots of freedom in creating custom races/championships. Recreate WEC races with multiple classes.
That is already possible in FM7 freeplay, I do it all the time. though you can't actually make championships I sometime keep track of score manually.
8. A more realistic Graphics direction/Filter. It feels too much like a cartoon now.
I think the art direction is fine in FM7, I am fine with the slightly exaggerated color saturation, not "cartoony" at all in my opinion.
9. They need to delete that Homologation. It really felt like a limiting factor during the whole game.
I Disagree.
I know some people are very vocal about the Homologation system in FM7, Personally I want it to stay, but with a few tweaks to improve the overall experience.
1. DO NOT Auto-upgrade every car to homologation spec when acquiring them. This alone lead to a lot of confusion from people thinking they can't upgrade cars at all for Career mode, sense the cars where already pre-upgraded to the PI limit of their division homologation restrictions. Plus you can often get a far better setup reverting it to stock and upgrading for homologation yourself (to the point that "Unbeatable" AI is too easy for me on some tracks).
2. Open up cars to qualify for multiple divisions. Some cars in FM7 I would have put in a different division, or I think could work in more then one. This would open up the possibility for someone to take a car they love into more Championships in Career mode.
3. Maybe multiple tiers to some divisions, like Street Spec, Sport Spec, and Race Spec, with each tier allowing for grippier tire compound, more HP and higher PI limits. Though this would add a ton of extra leaderboards for every sub-division.
4. Just let us have a few open class championships in Career mode, along with some multi-bucket championships. One of my favorite things to do in FM7 freeplay is set up multi-bucket races pitting divisions of similar PI limits against each other to see how they fair across a variety of tracks.
10. More freedom in Customization as in Need for Speed Heat.
Forza will never be on the same level as NFS as long as it has such a huge car roster, and I personally do not want to sacrafice the large roster of cars as Forza offers some weird and wonderful cars that no other racing series (besides the older Gran Turismo games) can offer.
11. 60FPS replays with much trackside cameras. The way Gran Turismo does it. Replays have been a weak part of FM since the beginning
I can already get unlock framerate for replays on PC in FM7, so that isn't an issue for me. But it would be good for people playing on console. I do like the idea of more realistic trackside cameras though. Gran Turismo's replays always looked amazing with realistic cameras angles.

Forza will never be on the same level as NFS as long as it has such a huge car roster, and I personally do not want to sacrafice the large roster of cars as Forza offers some weird and wonderful cars that no other racing series (besides the older Gran Turismo games) can offer.

Like I've mentioned elsewhere, they need to hire on people solely to add customization parts over time AND keep the large roster of cars. They don't have to release them all with the game, but they can release new stuff monthly to help keep that part of the game fresh. And this includes wheels, there are so many different styles of wheels that aren't included yet, and they are easy to model.

Next gen we will get another Forza 5 style game, light on content as its a new gen launch title - but it will have some flashy gimmicks like the above, and "tyre beading into the surface".
Do people care about real world physics? Yes, actually. It's a thing that actually a lot of people seem to want updated.

If done right, it would make the game all more immersive and realistic as a result — so I absolutely care about it.

I believe R3E does it, and AC Competizione does it as of this week's update. Whether or not an idea is something you care about, or isn't the first thing to come to mind isn't a reason to stifle innovation whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Visually, the things I want most from Forza 8 aside from general fidelity improvements you'd expect from having better hardware, are simply

- Better materials work - head/tail lights, cockpit leather, wood, steel etc.
- Better lighting and physically-based rendering. FM7's lighting model is very flat and uninspired - I wouldn't call it "bad", but I would absolutely say GT Sport's lighting is better, and makes the cars "pop" more. They could actually take some lessons from their siblings at Playground Games on this one, as Forza Horizon does it much better.

I had a good debate last night while running some open Lobbies on the Race Regulations, and whether it would be good for Forza to implement them across the board in 8 or not. Granted the one person likes to run over powered cars and drift around corners and often times struggles to get a clean lap. There were a few of us though, that all agreed that Race Regulations is exactly the direction Forza needs to go to clean up their image.

Allow majority of cars that make it in Horizon also available for motorsport. Additional content available for both. Or here is a wild ideal just include both on the same disc.

I am a car collector type of person. With that being said the majority of the mid to low end powered production cars never touch more then maybe once. I would accept a game that focuses mainly on race cars and with healthy dose of the exotic sports cars, especially the historical ones.

One of the worst parts of GTS are the very high price tags for the top of the line models along with the very stupid daily car wheel. The high price tag would not be so bad if more obtainable without grinding.

It will be interesting to see which way FM8 and GT7 go. FM8 would most likely be out by this time in 2020, however do not see likely for GT7 until fall 2021. Also next installment for project cars. I would probably be leaning for PC instead of console which means after 20 plus years leaving the GT series. I never really jumped ship. Except at one time baught xbox and FM4 as the liveries that kept seeing kept peaking my interest.

Time will tell. GT series never really evolves to much. At the core it is buy or tune a car that is more powerful or just better then the A.I.
Real racing in offline mode is far and few between. It's hard to beat the top notch graphics and menu system. I like how everything is layed out, it flows and works great. The scapes for photos are very nice.
I would imagine that for GT7 that especially for fictional tracks the graphics will look more like driving in a scape scene currently.

One thing that rarely gets mentioned are the Home screen/GUI/dealerships/etc. How would you like to see this on the next-gen Forza?

Honestly, I've never liked Forza's "list view". I understand they did this for quick access and quick purchase. However, as we've all experienced with Forza 7, the car list was laggy and janky as heck. I actually hope they do something similar to GT's way of going to dealerships and seeing each car beautifully on the screen. They under-utilize Forzavista alot. I know they're not going to go back and have voiceovers for every car/manufacturer, but they should still put more effort into the overall "look".

Forza is always the "tech showcase" for Xbox, so with next-gen hardware, they should show off a bit on our Home screens (which should have more than 1 option and we should be able to park more than 1 car like garages in PGR).

I actually hope they do something similar to GT's way of going to dealerships and seeing each car beautifully on the screen. They under-utilize Forzavista alot.

There is a huge problem with that: not all cars have the same level of Forzavista detail. Most notably, many "legacy" models don't feature an engine bay. And Microsoft doesn't seem to be big on throwing the existence of two different standards of cars in the face of players, doing their best to keep it a secret, no matter how open - as opposed to PDI, which clearly separated the "Standards" of GT5 and GT6 from the "Premiums" (although in the case of Forza we may be looking at a difference more along the lines of Premiums and Premium+s).

Also, aren't GT's beauty scenes pre-rendered? That seems to be another no-no for Microsoft.

All the talk from Phil Spencer about more firepower (and especially more RAM and VRAM) and faster load times, combined with T10's promise of a "built, not bought" mentality being pervasive in FM8, is making me hope the game may ship with a glossier presentation, something along the lines you draw in your post. However, I will not get my hopes up until we'll get confirmation the game will be Series X and PC only - and even then, only ever so slightly.

Honestly, I've never liked Forza's "list view". I understand they did this for quick access and quick purchase. However, as we've all experienced with Forza 7, the car list was laggy and janky as heck. I actually hope they do something similar to GT's way of going to dealerships and seeing each car beautifully on the screen. They under-utilize Forzavista alot. I know they're not going to go back and have voiceovers for every car/manufacturer, but they should still put more effort into the overall "look".
The Forzavista models is exactly why the list was janky and laggy, I believe. I don't think we'd want to go back to that.

Assuming that FM8 will be releasing on the next system, lagging shouldn't be an issue. They really just need to use the system they have now, but eliminate the going back-and-forth between the static "cards" and the 3D mode where you can pan and select colors, and just have the 3D mode when you flip between cars. They could have a quick transition between cars that fades out the current one and fades in the next selection. However, with this comes the idea of lagging again, since you have to wait for the transition each time. This could be solved by simply displaying the current "selection" and delaying the transition until you've stopped on the next car for, say, 2 seconds. In essence, you could scroll through 10 cars in a second and once you land on the one you want, after 2 seconds it would transition to that 3d model, rather than transitioning through all 10 3d models as you scroll.

Here's what I would personally like to see in the next installment. Disclaimer; this IS just my opinion, but here we go:

1) Get rid of the numerous hardcore offroad vehicles. If you aren't going to have proper offroad stadium racing in your game, then get rid of them. Don't attempt to pad out the car list with them, because it resulted in quite a large backlash. I don't mind the GRC cars, and I don't even mind the regular trucks and SUVs.

2) Pit Strategies. C'mon, Gran Turismo has been doing this since 2005. On the PS2. Two tires, four tires, full tank, splash n' go, etc.

3) Incorporate EVERYTHING customization-wise from FH4. Track widths and painting multiple portions of the rims/body especially.

4) Add a random option for the rain on tracks that support them. A sudden rainstorm or a bad case of spontaneous fog could always keep us on our toes.

5) Semi-remove the homologation system. Look, I don't hate the system, but on road cars, I would rather just be able to freely build my road cars for the top of the class that their respective division is in. However, with race cars, I don't mind the current system.

Here's what I would personally like to see in the next installment. Disclaimer; this IS just my opinion, but here we go:

1) Get rid of the numerous hardcore offroad vehicles. If you aren't going to have proper offroad stadium racing in your game, then get rid of them. Don't attempt to pad out the car list with them, because it resulted in quite a large backlash. I don't mind the GRC cars, and I don't even mind the regular trucks and SUVs.
Personally I am against getting rid of any cars just because they are considered "useless" by a portion of the playerbase. I love doing wierd stuff and racing things in ways that they would not normally be considered for.

2) Pit Strategies. C'mon, Gran Turismo has been doing this since 2005. On the PS2. Two tires, four tires, full tank, splash n' go, etc.
Agreed

3) Incorporate EVERYTHING customization-wise from FH4. Track widths and painting multiple portions of the rims/body especially.
I'd be very surprised if these things are not in the next Motorsport. However I kind of hoped that DLC cars released after this feature was added where built in a way to better take advantage of this system. The Yellow Roll cage in the FE Clio in FH4 makes me wish for paintable roll cages.

4) Add a random option for the rain on tracks that support them. A sudden rainstorm or a bad case of spontaneous fog could always keep us on our toes.
Very much want a random option for weather when creating a custom race. The thought of not knowing what possible weather conditions might happen would make the race more interesting.

5) Semi-remove the homologation system. Look, I don't hate the system, but on road cars, I would rather just be able to freely build my road cars for the top of the class that their respective division is in. However, with race cars, I don't mind the current system.
Homologation definitely could use some refinements. Maybe open up cars to possibly qualify more multiple divisions, Multi-division races in Career mode (one of my favorite things to do in freeplay is to set up multi-bucket races of different divisions with similar PI ratings) as well as proper Multi-class LeMans/IMSA style races.

With this kind of update, T10 should make this game a hardcore simulation game. Why would any arcade player care about tire temperature.......................

With this kind of update, T10 should make this game a hardcore simulation game. Why would any arcade player care about tire temperature.......................

Forza Motorsports has always tried to ride a fine line of being accessible to novice level players while still offering enough detail to the physics model for hardcore players. and for anyone that is new to racing and wants to get into more serious Track based racing game I would still recommend Forza as a great place to start. I personally think FM7 does offer an excellent balance of realism, accessibility, and fun to it's physics. And I personally find the core driving experience to be some of the most enjoyable track racing since FM4.

I am very interested to see what Turn 10 can do on next gen hardware. Lighting, particle effects, and material quality are the only things I could really ask for in terms of improvements to the graphics for the next Forza, and Ray Tracing could make a huge difference.

What are the odds of Turn 10 showcasing FM8 next month? It can't be anymore later than that? For info, for sure, but showing off ray tracing and other capabilities, definitely. Guess it depends on GDC.

Can't wait to see what T10 has cooking up. 👍

Edit: I agree about the graphics and lighting improvements for the next game. FH4 looks dang gorgeous! FM8 needs that too!

Off topic, but I noticed comments are disabled on the latest Forza Monthly YT video, after the female presenter was getting bashed.
Quite embarrassing for the fan base imo.

Back to the topic, they need to improve the AI as well as the graphics, pretty shocking how they can't even get around some track layouts in FM7!

Off topic, but I noticed comments are disabled on the latest Forza Monthly YT video, after the female presenter was getting bashed.
Quite embarrassing for the fan base imo.
I would too. Goes to show how toxic the community can be at times to the point of even bashing presenters. That's what they get.

If all cars will be available, I'd like to see a little better customization of the cars. Having the ability to have various mods available would be great on all cars. Some cars don't have certain mods available and it kinda sucks. Things like:
Wide-Body
Racing
Drift Racing
Aerodynamics options, such as spoilers, ground effects

With new physics, these would be great if they account for each.

As a start of a new generation, I would much prefer a smaller, curated car list, but with actual Street, Sport and race body kits for the cars. Where licensed kits exist, have those too of course.

Just freshen up a stale part of Forza at the perfect time.

Back