Turn 10 Reveals New Details on Forza Motorsport 8

Dumbest thing I’ve read today.
He is not entirely Wrong though, and I personally agree with it as the early Forza Motorsports where made to compete with Gran Turismo. And the one thing that Forza and Gran Turismo had that made them stand out from all the other racing games out there was the massive car list with some weird and wonderful cars that no other games would think to consider adding. Racing those cars in ways they where never meant to be driven is some of the best fun to be had in Forza.

I did some of the Casual Racing Mondays meetups a while back and in one session we where racing the Modern Offroad division on one of the smaller layouts of Rio. It was not a Clean Race, It was Not a serious race, But it was fun and we where all laughing our butts off because it was fun. I don't want to lose the opportunity to find that kind of fun.

I like to do some serious racing in Forza, but there are times I want to do something silly for the sake of Fun.

Here's the problem: Forza is intrinsically linked with large car lists and a smorgasbord of content out of the box by this point. Indeed, in a sea of track based racing games, sims included, it is what makes it unique, and viable in an increasingly competitive marketplace. If we surmise that T10 decides that the need to cull the car list to a reasonable amount (say, to a GT Sport or especially FM5 size) is that large, then you're going to have people raging on the message boards, here included. I guarantee it. Especially once it's made obvious that the post launch content is going to be desperately adding that back in, and then you're pissing off people even more when the car pass is mostly going to be stuff from the previous games.

Plus, as Shawn mentioned, another aspect of which Forza succeeds in is allowing for oddball combos of tracks and cars/divisions. Some are serious, most aren't. But its good fun. You lose that when you decide to cull the car list from the 'undesirable' categories in order to make it a more 'focused' track racer, and thus you lose what actually makes Forza viable.

Moreover:

There is such a thing as having too much content, especially for a racing game that is in desperate need of a solid direction.

How many times have we come together, as this small community, and tried to think of ideas, and haven't come to a clear consensus on what needs to be done in order to get this 'solid direction', when most of the ideas is to just make Forza yet another hard(er)-core track racer, which is antithetical to what Forza has, and always been? This is the vicious Catch 22 T10 finds themselves in, and while I have good hope that they can think of something where we haven't, but it's obvious by this point that T10 knows what Forza Motorsport is, and that no matter what they do, one side of the community is going to rage.

He is not entirely Wrong though, and I personally agree with it as the early Forza Motorsports where made to compete with Gran Turismo. And the one thing that Forza and Gran Turismo had that made them stand out from all the other racing games out there was the massive car list with some weird and wonderful cars that no other games would think to consider adding. Racing those cars in ways they where never meant to be driven is some of the best fun to be had in Forza.

I did some of the Casual Racing Mondays meetups a while back and in one session we where racing the Modern Offroad division on one of the smaller layouts of Rio. It was not a Clean Race, It was Not a serious race, But it was fun and we where all laughing our butts off because it was fun. I don't want to lose the opportunity to find that kind of fun.

I like to do some serious racing in Forza, but there are times I want to do something silly for the sake of Fun.
He’s extremely wrong actually. That someone doesn’t subscribe to his opinion means that they aren’t Forza fans? No, that’s just stupid.

I don't even play Forza anymore, my main focus is Gran Turismo. However, i'm actually excited to see what the new Forza Motorsport is going to be like. Actually really enjoyed all the Forza games apart from FM7. Always been something special about the series which no other racing game has.

I'd rather be expecting 1,000+ cars for Motorsport 8 rather than the car list being cut down. All these new cars, restored cars and leaked ones would be useless if the car list would be brought down.
I love that Forza (both Motorsport and Horizon) have grown to their own massive car lists and as much as I would love to see over 1,000 cars right off the bat for a new console game. I would prefer Turn 10 to take time to balance their current lists and work on some of their existing models first.

And actually, it's not impossible, given there are 785 unique cars in Motorsport 7 (not including Forza editions), and assuming every car from the Xbox One era returns, this could well be it.
It's not impossible, but it's unrealistic to expect that anyway. Due to a few issues such as licensing that will always plague each new title. You can't expect every car to make it into a new game because of this. Car makes are always doing something funny that prevents licensing from being a thing sometimes (Toyota, VW, and Porsche all being evidence of this).

Anyone wishing for a smaller car list for the next game, or those who say that certain cars should just be left in Horizon are not real Forza fans.
and that's just being ridiculous, gate-keeping just because some people don't share the same line of thought as you.

---
In my honest opinion, I would love to get to 1000+ unique cars someday. However, I would to see some balancing on Turn 10's licensing and picking what cars they add first. The cars they selected to license and add in FM7's dlc were just unfocused. I loved the historic race cars they were adding plus the oddballs, but I found it rather sad that they for some reason forgot about adding newer race cars. It was a major contrast to their dlc additions in FM6, which were much better imo.

As I said before, another reason that I'm okay with downsizing the car list a bit is because there are quite a few cars in their line-up that need an overhaul in my opinion. This is a great opportunity for Turn 10 to fix that problem so that all of the cars are more consistent in quality.

The same 4Chan leak that was posted to reddit the other day. Sounds great but the "aiming for 4K 120FPS with ray tracing" throws it off. I have no doubt FM8 will have 4K, 120FPS, and Raytracing, just not all at the same time. GT7 is pushing 4K 60 with raytracing, and I expect FM8 will do the same, while 120FPS mode would disable real time raytracing and possibly run with dynamic resolution scaling to keep up the performance.

I assume FM8 will be on PC as well like FM7 and FH4 have been. 4K/120fps/raytraced on PC seems difficult but achievable if you throw in an RTX 3080 or whatever the next gen hardware will be. On console yes, presumably they'd have to make concessions, but it wouldn't be unheard of for MS to use top-spec PC footage and performance to sell the game. It's basically photomode bullshots taken to the extreme.

I definitely know that not all cars from the previous games will appear in the next game, as licensing issues will always be present. But I definitely don't think Turn 10 will sacrifice the fun oddball cars.

People will be outraged, but I'm fine with them cutting back on cars if it means taking them to the next level. Even a "mere" 200-300 would be fine for me, especially if the game gets as much post-launch support as Horizon 4 did.
True enough, people were outraged with Gt Sport in the beginning, but that changed as it got larger. Likewise FM5 was released in a time before such dedicated post-launch support was the norm, otherwise I presume that people would have also changed their tune with that just the same.

Ultimately, what's most important to me (content wise) is the track count. In spite of its 750+ cars I often find myself bored with FM7 due to the lack of places to race them. Especially with more than half the tracks being tracks I've driven a thousand times over in other games. T10 said its easier than ever to make new tracks, so I'm anticipating a much needed increase in that department.

I'm fine with them cutting back on cars if it means taking them to the next level. Even a "mere" 200-300 would be fine for me, especially if the game gets as much post-launch support as Horizon 4 did.

This. I don't think it would be such a bad thing to start with a smaller car list (maybe not as small as 200-300 but closer to 500-ish) if it means more content in other areas. As much as I enjoy and praise Forza for its car selection, the lack of fresh content in other areas really bogs the experience down a bit. If sacrificing some of the cars at launch is how we get more tracks, features, etc., then so be it. As others have said, I'd love if there were over 1000 cars at launch. However, if it means that there won't be any improvements to the gameplay and other content, then it's not worth the extra cars.

Forza Horizon 4 did this to an extent, did it not? We started with about 450 (which was less than Forza Horizon 3 had by the end of its post-release content support) and now we're up to about 700. Even though the game cut out some key cars at launch (the Civic Type R, 812 Superfast, etc.), most were eventually added back. Not all of them are back (RIP Volvo, fingers crossed for an update), but a lot of them are.

There has to be balance. I feel like T10/PG focus too much on adding more cars rather than fixing issues such as modeling errors, mediocre sound design, and, in the case of Motorsport, new tracks and other features. On the other hand, I praise them for the support FH4 is still receiving. That in itself is a step in the right direction, and I hope that the next Motorsport game will continue in that direction.

I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospect of losing cars, but if that's what is required for T10 to get the series pointed in the right direction I'm fine with it.

I just hope if they go the FH4 route and add a bunch of cars post-launch they do it in a more user-friendly way.

How many times have we come together, as this small community, and tried to think of ideas, and haven't come to a clear consensus on what needs to be done in order to get this 'solid direction', when most of the ideas is to just make Forza yet another hard(er)-core track racer, which is antithetical to what Forza has, and always been? This is the vicious Catch 22 T10 finds themselves in, and while I have good hope that they can think of something where we haven't, but it's obvious by this point that T10 knows what Forza Motorsport is, and that no matter what they do, one side of the community is going to rage.

It's true fans want different things from the series, for some it's just a stop gap between the next Horizon game, some just want the latest GT and Supercars and a more 'sim' like approach and others just want more of the same with better graphics.

But I think we can all agree the presentation in FM7 was woeful, one song and some narration throughout the whole game?
The intros at the start of FM7 and some of the narration for special events weren't bad but surely they need to carry this stuff across
the whole game for next gen. So the events and their presentation become just as important as the cars themselves.

So for example if you're gonna have vintage race cars, have some historic tracks / layouts and a brief history on the cars or the events with special narration or film clips. I don't think no game in the genre has done this to it's full potential. Gran Turismo's relaxed car museum style helps sell their game but I don't think it's the only way to celebrate motorsport.

Last edited:
Ultimately, what's most important to me (content wise) is the track count. In spite of its 750+ cars I often find myself bored with FM7 due to the lack of places to race them. Especially with more than half the tracks being tracks I've driven a thousand times over in other games. T10 said its easier than ever to make new tracks, so I'm anticipating a much needed increase in that department.

Same, but unfortunately they aren't very creative with track choices. I'd love to see them add some tracks we really haven't driven much in games before so we actually have someplace new to learn, but I think they will just go for tracks with the most name recognition.

There are still some well known tracks they could add though, with Mid-Ohio and Mosport being obvious ones from the IMSA schedule, but they are the kind of studio I could totally see adding someplace like Paul Ricard just because it's well known... even though barely anyone has anything positive to say about the racing it provides.

But I think we can all agree the presentation in FM7 was woeful, one song and some narration throughout the whole game?
The intros at the start of FM7 and some of the narration for special events weren't bad but surely they need to carry this stuff across
the whole game for next gen. So the events and their presentation become just as important as the cars themselves.

So for example if you're gonna have vintage race cars, have some historic tracks / layouts and a brief history on the cars or the events with special narration or film clips. I don't think no game in the genre has done this to it's full potential. Gran Turismo's relaxed car museum style helps sell their game but I don't think it's the only way to celebrate motorsport.

I agree the presentation wasn't much, but honestly having some voice read to me stuff from a Wiki article doesn't make me want to play the game more, and it feels like time wasted they could spend on other areas that need work. That kinda stuff might be neat at first, but how many people are going to watch it more than once? How many people are just going to skip it because "ugh what is all this crap I just want to race dammit"?

Stuff like this and the cinematic career suggestions don't really add anything to the game in terms of longevity or depth, it's just some shiny gimmick that looks cool to parents deciding which game to buy for their kid.

Fully agree they need some vintage tracks though.

Personally and this is coming from someone who's loved the Forza franchise since FM2 despite its faults-technical stuff like tire pressures, dynamic track temps may sound nice but they don't add much to the enjoyment of the game for me. I'd much rather that time and energy be spent on other more important impacts on the overall game experience. Such as car/track list. Upgrade systems. Career mode.

Even the who 'sand on the racetrack' feature seen at Dubai in FM7 was just a unecessary gimmick. It didn't add any enjoyment to the game for me. Same with Dubai but I digress lol.

Wouldn't mind a cinematic storyline in career mode. If it helps mix things up and adds a new angle to it then why not.

Upgrades really need a refresh especially the visual stuff. If NFS can do it then Turn Ten is capable of it also.

Tracks-not bad but lets have some more fantasy tracks. Loved Sunset Infield and Fujimi Kaido. How Kaido hasn't reappeared is beyond me given its overwhelming popularity.

Carlist-I'd go for quality over quantity. Get rid of the divisions that only have or two cars except for stuff like Miata Cup and build up the remaining divisions. This leads me to my next point.

Put the Motorsport back into Forza Motorsport. If there's no offroad tracks in FM8 then all the stuff like dirt buggies, trophy trucks shouldn't be part of the game-thats what Forza Horizon is for (love that game I even brought FH2 the other day just because of the highway). Update the carlist so that popular divisions like Prototype and GT actually have a decent lineup of the latest cars. You look at those divisions and bar some DLC its like the division is stuck in time from five years ago.

The technical stuff might look good in a presser but in reality it doesn't add much to the enjoyment of the game.

"ugh what is all this crap I just want to race dammit"?

Well people loved FM4's intro. And if I had my way they'd be brief, skippable clips.

Another thing I'd love to see is a extensive damage model. Would be frustrating in multiplayer at times, but in conjunction with a ranking system could promote clean driving.

Just want something fresh, not just better graphics. GT 7 looks so stale to me, judging by the trailer.

Last edited:
Some cars in Forza look average. Not bad like "standard cars" in Gran Turismo but the modeling seems off. Sometimes it's a matter of shaders or 3D model. Maybe it's just the lighting engine.

In GTSport, when I look at the Integra DC2 in the dealership. The car looks real, everything is perfectly modeled. In Forza, I love the Forzavista mode. Unfortunately, it looks like a game and sometimes bad like the ae86.

I still think that Forza Horizon 4 is the most beautiful racing game this gen. Though I'd love to see a new lighting engine. I can live with 500 cars at launch and release later the other reworked cars with DLCs.

Some cars in Forza look average. Not bad like "standard cars" in Gran Turismo but the modeling seems off. Sometimes it's a matter of shaders or 3D model. Maybe it's just the lighting engine.

In GTSport, when I look at the Integra DC2 in the dealership. The car looks real, everything is perfectly modeled. In Forza, I love the Forzavista mode. Unfortunately, it looks like a game and sometimes bad like the ae86.

I still think that Forza Horizon 4 is the most beautiful racing game this gen. Though I'd love to see a new lighting engine. I can live with 500 cars at launch and release later the other reworked cars with DLCs.

Cars from Forza 5 and on are much more accurate than those from before. T10 have implied that all cars in the game are laser scanned, but it’s clear that models that existed from the previous games have just been updated to higher textures, as they’ll feature the same bugs in the livery editor and other inaccuracies from the X360 days

I like that they don't have an 8 in the name.
That’s just a placeholder because it’s still “early in development”. Eventually they’ll put the “8” later on.

Definitely hoping this ships with over 900 to 1,000+ cars, and up to 40+ tracks.

The closing screen also adds fuel to the rumor fire that it won't happen this year.
Xbox Games Showcase [ENGLISH] 46-22 screenshot.png

No standard Xbox One mentioned.

That teaser was a bit disapointing to ne honest the one make serie with the Apollo with racing liveries looked so wrong in my opinion.

Back