UEFA Euro 2012

• Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 1,751 comments
I find it interesting that a few of you are wandering why crouch didn't get a call up. Here's your answer, he may have a good scoring record but most of his goals have come against minnows, he like many other players seem to not be able to hold it together against the bigger teams :ouch:

As for my vote on who's going to win the tournament, how about Greece or Denmark again :dopey::sly:

On a more serious note I would have to go with Germany, Spain was going to be my first choice but I have a feeling they are not going to be as great without David Villa. We shall see though :)

Come on England :scared:

I find it funny that Portugal is smack talking Germany.

They really aren't. They are just doing what they normally do, talking down the 'Portugal are going to get smashed' talk and install confidence into the squad. I have little faith my Portugal will advance out the group stage but the results of Germany, Holland and Denmark losing their friendlies were positive for sure. Portugal tied to Macedonia who parked the bus almost the entire game, and Paulo Bento (coach) was trying some new things out as well. I'll let you know how bad Portugal will go into the tourney pending Saturday's friendly to Turkey.
lol

Holland's defense doesn't scare me, but their mid and attack does. Germany can very well steam roll over Portugal, but at the same time Portugal can surprise everyone and wake up wanting to advance. Denmark, as I've told many of my friends, is no pushover. We struggled with them in the qualifiers as they seem to know how to play against us.

England's final 23 players and squad numbers for Euro 2012 confirmed (including two changes from the original named squad from two weeks ago) :

1 Joe Hart
2 Glen Johnson
3 Ashley Cole
4 Steven Gerrard
5 Gary Cahill
6 John Terry
7 Theo Walcott
8 Frank Lampard
9 Andy Carroll
10 Wayne Rooney
11 Ashley Young
12 Leighton Baines
13 Robert Green
14 Phil Jones
15 Joleon Lescott
16 James Milner
17 Scott Parker
18 Phil Jagielka
19 Stewart Downing
20 Alex Oxlade Chamberlain
21 Jermain Defoe
22 Danny Welbeck
23 Jack Butland

and the full Ireland Squad:

Shay Given (Aston Villa)
Keiren Westwood (Sunderland)
David Forde (Millwall)
John O'Shea (Sunderland)
Richard Dunne (Aston Villa)
Sean St Ledger (Leicester City)
Stephen Ward (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Paul McShane (Hull City)
Stephen Kelly (Fulham)
Darren O'Dea (Celtic)
Keith Andrews (West Bromwich Albion)
Glenn Whelan (Stoke City)
Darron Gibson (Everton)
Damien Duff (Fulham)
Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow)
Stephen Hunt (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Paul Green (Derby County)
James McClean (Sunderland)
Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy)
Kevin Doyle (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Simon Cox (West Bromwich Albion)
Jonathan Walters (Stoke City)
Shane Long (West Bromwich Albion)

What is interesting about the squads you posted is that England are the only country with 23 players who play in its domestic leagues, while Ireland are the only one without any players from their domestic leagues.

What is interesting about the squads you posted is that England are the only country with 23 players who play in its domestic leagues, while Ireland are the only one without any players from their domestic leagues.
And not for the first time either...

Ireland's entire 2002 World Cup squad were all based in England as well, and England had just one player not based in England (Owen Hargreaves was at Bayern Munich).

And not for the first time either...

Ireland's entire 2002 World Cup squad were all based in England as well, and England had just one player not based in England (Owen Hargreaves was visiting a German physio).

Fixed.

so lampard is out of the euros then with his groin injury ruling him out..henderson's been called up from the stand-by list..

does this mean the end of lampards england career?..could be..

Bad news for England now, but potentially an opportunity to blood younger players that need the experience. At 33 he can just about hang about for the first couple of qualifying games, but if Hodgson decides the 'Golden Generations' time is over, and things need changing, Lampard could be chopped. All depends if he still turns out for Chelsea every week, and if anyone can replace him.

There's gotta be a better replacement than Henderson. Roy still got his Liverpool glasses on, 5 players from them now in the England squad.

I'd only have 1 of them.

Carroll - Deserves a place, what other strikers do England have that are better ?
Downing - Awful season, the place should've gone to Joe Cole
Gerrard - Deserves a place
Glen Johnson - Definitely should've gone to Kyle Walker
Henderson - Drafted in at last minute, again England don't really have anyone better.

I don't see how Carroll deserves a place. He scored a few goals at the end of a poor season. Sturridge/Crouch, both had better seasons than Carroll.

Agreed on Downing and Stevie.

Kyle Walker is injured apparently. Micah Richards should be there instead of Johnson, I just don't understand it.

Adam Johnson? He's definitely worth a mention, no idea how he isn't in the squad.

Ah yes, the Netherlands are showing North Ireland how to play proper football. 5-0 in the 50th minute. It's a good thing to have Afellay back.

England were pretty standard. Belgium wasted waaay too many chances but they looked much more comfortable attacking. Rooney wasted the ball a lot, Chamberlain was "ambitious".

Dennisch
I foresee a bright future for the current Belgium squad.

Same. Gillet looked good for Belgium tonight, as did Fellaini. Hazard had a few flashes but was wasteful at times.

Portugal - Turkey 1-3 :lol:

Yes Sir! What I love about the Turkish players is how persistent they are, real fighters these guys, major respect. 👍

Most other soccer teams (Germany included) give up like little sissies when they are behind, but for the Turkish it's major motivation, just like it's supposed to be!

Yes Sir! What I love about the Turkish players is how persistent they are, real fighters these guys, major respect. 👍

Most other soccer teams (Germany included) give up like little sissies when they are behind, but for the Turkish it's major motivation, just like it's supposed to be!
I guess you are joking, Germany aka Die Mannschaft is known for not giving up actually. They used to score many times in the late minutes of a game...90+ especially. ;)

Netherlands vs North-Ireland 6 - 0.... :D

I think Alex p. meant the current german team. Historically of course they are renowned for fighting till the end.

I think Alex p. meant the current german team. Historically of course they are renowned for fighting till the end.

Kinda. I don't really know about the current team, but in the last ten years or so they were giving up too fast for my taste. Although it could be that they tend to give up not as fast as most of the other teams, possible.

I foresee a bright future for the current Belgium squad.
Not if they keep this coach. There's plenty of talent in the squad but the people in charge of it all are in desperate need of a change.

They need a Dutch coach. Simple.
Well, they had Advocaat but he just took off to Russia without the head of the Belgian football even knowing :lol:.
That's what I was saying, they're wimps.

Russia gave him a bigger bag of money. :lol:

But back ot. England is doing very well with their players, how many are injured now? 6? :lol:

Gary Cahill's now out of the Euro's too, with a fractured jaw. Martin Kelly replaces him. Turning into the Liverpool England team it seems :lol:

More to the point, what are Hodgson's reason for keeping Ferdinand out of the squad now. Football reasons only stretch so far ...

Back