UEFA Euro 2012

• Thread starter AlexGTV
  • 1,751 comments
Emptyone
Gary Cahill's now out of the Euro's too, with a fractured jaw. Martin Kelly replaces him. Turning into the Liverpool England team it seems :lol:

Kelly !! What the hell Hodgson ? It wad a total dick move on Cahill in the first place. Funny but unnecessary, especially for a friendly.

TyrrellRacing
Kelly !! What the hell Hodgson ? It wad a total dick move on Cahill in the first place. Funny but unnecessary, especially for a friendly.

It was definitely deserving of a yellow, stupid by Mertens(?) but putting a player out by doing it is ridiculous. Surely we have better defenders than Kelly excluding Ferdinand?

Emptyone
It was definitely deserving of a yellow, stupid by Mertens(?) but putting a player out by doing it is ridiculous. Surely we have better defenders than Kelly excluding Ferdinand?

I thought it was a straight red. The intent was completely obvious and he fractured the guys jaw! He made no attempt to get the ball, instead he pushed him as hard as he could into hart when he knew he was beaten. Yet all he was given was a yellow.

Portugal all the way :D. If any team of our group underestimate us, it will be your "death" :sly:. Carefull, carefull ;)!

Portugal all the way :D. If any team of our group underestimate us, it will be your "death" :sly:. Carefull, carefull ;)!

Oh my, I really hope Portugal ends last, with a red card for Ronaldo. Against Denmark. Which they lose with 3 goals difference. :lol:

Pagey279
I thought it was a straight red. The intent was completely obvious and he fractured the guys jaw! He made no attempt to get the ball, instead he pushed him as hard as he could into hart when he knew he was beaten. Yet all he was given was a yellow.

Having just seen it again, I'll re-evaluate my assessment, it was a red. Completely intentional ploy, with no chance of it succeeding. Should be looked at again.

Emptyone
Having just seen it again, I'll re-evaluate my assessment, it was a red. Completely intentional ploy, with no chance of it succeeding. Should be looked at again.

Yeah every time I watch it it looks worse. Referees don't have replays, but even so it was a poor poor decision from them.

I was away this weekend and missed the Portugal x Turkey friendly. Terrible... 3-1 loss at home to an almost sold out Stadium of Light (Benfica's stadium in Lisbon). I still have faith but watching the highlights later that day... our D is in shambles!!!

I fear Germany the most and that's this Saturday's game!! Holland's D doesn't worry me one bit but their stacked midfield and attack certainly does. Denmark I expect us to have troubles with, as we did during qualifiers... this might not be good for Portugal but at the same time they could click against Germany and come out on top in the group.

#BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was away this weekend and missed the Portugal x Turkey friendly. Terrible... 3-1 loss at home to an almost sold out Stadium of Light (Benfica's stadium in Lisbon). I still have faith but watching the highlights later that day... our D is in shambles!!!

I fear Germany the most and that's this Saturday's game!! Holland's D doesn't worry me one bit but their stacked midfield and attack certainly does. Denmark I expect us to have troubles with, as we did during qualifiers... this might not be good for Portugal but at the same time they could click against Germany and come out on top in the group.

#BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To be honest with you, I don't think we Dutch people should be worried about the Portuguese defence either. It was pure comedy capers against Turkey. First goal from Turkey was just very stupid marking, 2nd goal a pass through the middle (which is forbidden actually) and the last goal was just comedy capers.
But I agree, the Dutch defence isn't the best... And against Bulgaria we dominated the whole game actually, but they forced it to try to get the 2nd goal, and by some stupid diagonal cross pass of Heitinga we lost the match, actually the only big mistake in the entire game.

Also about an earlier post from you, you shouldn't take Germany's friendly match against Switzerland that serious, since they missed half their squad (no Bayern players) and played with their B line-up actually. To be honest friendly matches shouldn't be taken seriously anyway, only good for the players confidence if the outcome is nice/good.

To be honest with you, I don't think we Dutch people should be worried about the Portuguese defence either. It was pure comedy capers against Turkey. First goal from Turkey was just very stupid marking, 2nd goal a pass through the middle (which is forbidden actually) and the last goal was just comedy capers.
But I agree, the Dutch defence isn't the best... And against Bulgaria we dominated the whole game actually, but they forced it to try to get the 2nd goal, and by some stupid diagonal cross pass of Heitinga we lost the match, actually the only big mistake in the entire game.

Also about an earlier post from you, you shouldn't take Germany's friendly match against Switzerland that serious, since they missed half their squad (no Bayern players) and played with their B line-up actually. To be honest friendly matches shouldn't be taken seriously anyway, only good for the players confidence if the outcome is nice/good.

I fully expect an epic showdown between the 2 national teams. It seems Portugal and Holland always have some crazy matches. Add in the big possibility that being the final game, could result in either team from making it or placing higher... it should be a massive battle.

I don't take friendly's all that crazy serious except for the ones leading up to a tourney. Germany shouldn't be losing to Switzerland, they should be dominating in pure top form.
We shall see come Saturday but I've already admitted that my Portugal is facing some serious trouble after these past 2 friendly matches showing quite clearly they aren't ready yet. Still... I believe!!

Last edited:
Apparently the England team have arrived in Poland, only to discover that their hotel is within earshot of a local tradition where a man plays a trumpet into the surrounding area, on the hour, every hour. :ouch:

Touring Mars
Apparently the England team have arrived in Poland, only to discover that their hotel is within earshot of a local tradition where a man plays a trumpet into the surrounding area, on the hour, every hour. :ouch:

Cool another excuse for when England fail.

So then atm we're on :

1. Trumpet
2. Intensity of the Prem
3. No winter break
4. Stephen Kelly
5. Injuries
6. Not strict enough / too strict on free time
7. Too many foreigners in the Prem
8. Too much pressure on the players
9. Wrong formation / tactics
10. Redknapp should be coach, not Roy
11. Rooney didn't play good enough and is crap wasn't in his preferred position / didn't have suitable tactics
12. Squad morale was low after the Terry affair
13. Games were too far apart distance wise
14. Racist chants disturbed the players
15. Roy was appointed too late
16. Squad don't have enough time to bond
17. Hotel wasn't up to standard
18. Players missed their wives
19. Clubs don't give young players a chance
20. Big clubs rob youth players of play time
21. Rooney should be captain
22. FA are useless
23. Pitch was poor
24. Games were too close to each other time wise.
25. Should be goal lone technology
26. England deserved X amount of penalties.
27. Rooney's sending off was too harsh
28. Other team used negative tactics
29. Temperature was too high/low
30. Opposition was underestimated

Right there's 30. At least 25 of these will be used in the Sun by next month, you watch.

Hey everyone.

I have created a Fantasy League at the official UEFA Site for the Euro Cup. The code to join the league is 35187-76773. If you don't know where to go to register, CLICK HERE. I would love for as many people from this community to join. I will close the league to entries 1 hour before the first match on Friday.

Cheers.

Hey everyone.

I have created a Fantasy League at the official UEFA Site for the Euro Cup. The code to join the league is 35187-76773. If you don't know where to go to register, CLICK HERE. I would love for as many people from this community to join. I will close the league to entries 1 hour before the first match on Friday.

Cheers.

Cool another excuse for when England fail.

So then atm we're on :

1. Trumpet
2. Intensity of the Prem
3. No winter break
4. Stephen Kelly
5. Injuries
6. Not strict enough / too strict on free time
7. Too many foreigners in the Prem
8. Too much pressure on the players
9. Wrong formation / tactics
10. Redknapp should be coach, not Roy
11. Rooney didn't play good enough and is crap wasn't in his preferred position / didn't have suitable tactics
12. Squad morale was low after the Terry affair
13. Games were too far apart distance wise
14. Racist chants disturbed the players
15. Roy was appointed too late
16. Squad don't have enough time to bond
17. Hotel wasn't up to standard
18. Players missed their wives
19. Clubs don't give young players a chance
20. Big clubs rob youth players of play time
21. Rooney should be captain
22. FA are useless
23. Pitch was poor
24. Games were too close to each other time wise.
25. Should be goal lone technology
26. England deserved X amount of penalties.
27. Rooney's sending off was too harsh
28. Other team used negative tactics
29. Temperature was too high/low
30. Opposition was underestimated

Right there's 30. At least 25 of these will be used in the Sun by next month, you watch.

That's a mighty fine list there Tyrrell but the excuses will boil down to

1.Blame Referee
2.Complain about no goal line technology

I think I'm gonna invest some time into watching this, along with USA's first set of World Cup qualifiers.

CAM
I think I'm gonna invest some time into watching this, along with USA's first set of World Cup qualifiers.

you should watch some of it pal, its gonna be a great tournament!..i cant wait! 👍

That's a mighty fine list there Tyrrell but the excuses will boil down to

1.Blame Referee
2.Complain about no goal line technology

I bet my house that there will be cries for a winter break. There always is.

Looking forward to Germany v Holland. It's a good job the tournament doesn't take place during my last weeks of exams ...

Polish supporters show their good side by making jungle sounds and racist comments at a public training from the Dutch team.

Idiots.

It shouldnt be even held in poland/ukraine if u ask me, if they knew that the fans being racist or facist during the tournament....its only being held there because the countries FA's gave uefa a big wad of cash and fluttered there eyelashes at them!!

Some British-based Poles had the audacity to accuse the BBC of broadcasting 'lies' about the racism that is rife within Polish football stadiums (Panorama, last week). I'm sorry, but it was pretty clear cut to me. The situation in Ukraine looks to be even worse, but accusing the BBC of 'lying' about the state of racism when it was so blatantly obvious is quite ridiculous.

I hope UEFA follow through on their intentions to stop games if racist chanting happens, but somehow I doubt it. Hopefully the number of racist thugs that actually make it into the stadiums at Euro 2012 will be so insignificant as to not cause a problem, but time will tell.

Poland are looking pretty decent in the first 20 minutes, 1-0 up against the greeks. Greece seem to have left their famous feature of defensive organisation at home, shocking defence by the goalie for the first goal. Looking forward to the tournament after a buzzing opening :)

Damn, I go and update a race event and I miss the first goal of the tournament.

Anyway, I'll be backing Poland in this match as well as Group A, mainly because of family ties. Nice to see them in a leading position right now.

EDIT: Papastathopoulos sent off, although it looked it seemed like a harsh move after he made a pretty soft challenge.

Last edited:
Back