UEFA Euro 2016 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,384 comments
Butland is injured but I'm surprised Defoe hasn't made the cut but no Antonio who has scored 9 goals from RB.

Forgot about that! Still think the other two omissions and Antonio are a bit of a surprise. Well, not a surprise, we all knew it would happen but still...

Rooney is England's captain, and I don't think he's an undeserved choice, even if he has underperformed this season and shouldn't really start any of the matches.
The goalkeeper situation was a given. Really it's a case of whether Forster can oust Hart for a match or two.
Antonio may have played really well, but I still think Walker and Clyne were always going to be prioritised, reasonably so as well. The defense choice is pretty much the best on offer.
Delph shouldn't be there, Sterling probably doesn't deserve to be there after a bad season and Barkley has been Martinez'ed recently and has struggled. Townsend has deserved his call up, Wilshere and Henderson will need to show they're fit to be included, but both are solid players who Roy trusts and needs.
Kane, Vardy and Rooney were always going to be there. Sturridge needs to pick it up a bit if he wants a chance, while Rashford is a silly choice. Defoe has pretty much kept Sunderland in the Premiership this season, whereas Rashford scored a few goals in a few matches.

Delph and Sterling are wide midfielders/wingers. Antonio is a wide midfielder/winger and has been far, far, far better than the two of them. It's only since joining West Ham that he has also been playing at right-back. He'd be a much better choice. Albrighton would be great out wide too.

Even if Rooney is the captain, he's been terrible this season and he's famously terrible for England in big games too. If it is anything other than Vardy/Kane up top, then the big name conspiracy marches on.

Not that it matters. I am hoping England do underperform. The danger is that they do have a great team in that 26 who could get to the final but will Roy have the bottle to play it?

england-xi-5c0cb8d872c7dbbb3b25b484e2d92665.jpg

Try it yourself at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36163625

Swap Clyne for Walker and that's mine as well.

Really dissapointed for Defoe though, I think I remember him saying part of the reason he went to Sunderland was to try and land himself a spot in the England team. And he did everything he needed to, but Roy was blind to it sadly. Probably won't see him in an England shirt again.

Congrats to Rashford, he will most likely be one of the three to get the chop but it will be a great experience for him, not sure why Delph is there....

4URuqC0.jpg

Made this yesterday, but I would switch out Clyne for Walker and depending on the opponent, Townsend for Drinkwater... although I see him more as an impact sub. The rather obvious problem when I went through that team was the defence, no real options in there at all.

No Torres, Costa, Mata, Cazorla or Bellerin in the Spain squad, some big names left out there.

Germany squad is interesting, only one out-and-out Striker in Mario Gomez although Muller and Gotze can play up front but of course they are classed as midfielders, didn't they do something similar at the World Cup but with Klose the only Striker?, anyway PL players Emre Can and Ozil are in, as is Schwienstiger who is recovering from knee ligament injury.

Ireland have named a fairly extensive squad of 35 players, none of which play their club football in Ireland.
Northern Ireland have only named 28, still none of them playing in either Northern or the Republic of Ireland.

Ireland have named a fairly extensive squad of 35 players, none of which play their club football in Ireland.
Northern Ireland have only named 28, still none of them playing in either Northern or the Republic of Ireland.

Only time I'll say this: Thank god for Swansea City. We keep that quota to two.

England play Turkey in their first warm-up game at the Etihad on Sunday, no Man United or Liverpool players involved as they had/will have cup exploits to recover from, so about six players missing.....I think!

Ireland - the Netherlands 1-0 after 45 minutes. Not a single shot on target by the Netherlands.

Edit.

1-1.

That's another 90 minutes well spent. :irked:

Last edited:
Great performance from Rashford last night on his England debut, he has to be on the plane if Sturridge is injured.

The England squad for the Euro 2016 Finals has just been announced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36413882

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

My starting XI:

england-xi-a65659072946f735e5ff8be92f93808e.jpg

Last edited:
Wheelchair, Sturdling and Henderson in and Drinkwater out.

It's all falling into place.
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Edit: Speaking of which;

Goalkeepers (3): Wayne Hennessey, Danny Ward, Owain Fon Williams.

Defenders (7): Chris Gunter, James Chester, Ashley Williams, Ben Davies, Neil Taylor, James Collins, Jazz Richards.

Midfielders (8): Joe Allen, Joe Ledley, Aaron Ramsey, Andy King, David Edwards, Jonny Williams, David Vaughan, George Williams.

Forwards (5): Gareth Bale, Hal Robson-Kanu, Sam Vokes, Simon Church, David Cotterill.

Last edited:
With those players I'd go with a 4-0-6 formation and hope to outscore the opposition because that team would let in 3-4 goals per game.
England have a leaky defence whatever they do, they just need Kane, Vardy and Rooney to score a load up the other end and hope it balances out.

Unlucky for Drinkwater, been in great form all season, Delph was injured anyway, Townsend the big surprise for me as I thought Roy liked him and they now have now natural wingers, Rashford only made his United debut 96 days ago, what a rise he has had!

Predictable Wales squad but I'm not complaining!, good to see Joe Ledley make it after suffering from a fractured leg only a few weeks ago. 👍

Only omission from the Wales team is Emyr Huws. He's had a great season and deserves to be there on merit. Shame he misses out but the rest of the team is as expected.

He should be picked on account of having the most Welsh name ever.

Growing up, I always thought Emlyn Hughes was Welsh; his family actually are.

Out of the current crop of players Owain Fôn Williams runs Huws close for the most Welsh name. Fôn is pronounced Vaughan.

So the deadline form cutting the squads down to 23 was midnight last night, here are some of the final squads.

Belgium

Courtios, Mignolet, Gillet.

Alderweireld, Ciman, Denayer, Kabasele, Jordan Lukaku, Meunier, Vermaelen, Vertonghen.

Dembele, Fellaini, Nainggolan, Witsel.

Batsuayi, Benteke, Carrasco, De Bruyne, Hazard, Romelu Lukaku, Mertens, Origi.

Croatia

Subasic, Kalinic, Vargic.

Corluka, Srna, Vida, Vrsaljko, Schildenfeld, Strinic, Jedvaj.

Modric, Rakitic, Kovacic, Brozevic, Perisic, Badelj, Rog, Coric.

Mandzukic, Kalinic, Pjaca, Cop, Kramaric.

France

Costil, Lloris, Mandanda.

Digne, Evra, Jallet, Koscielny, Mangala, Umtiti, Sagna, Rami.

Cabaye, Schneiderlin, Kante, Matuidi Pogba, Sissoko.

Coman, Gignac, Giroud, Greizemann, Martial, Payet.

Germany

Neuer, Leno, Ter-Stegen.

Boateng, Can, Hector, Howedes, Hummels, Mustafi, Ruediger.

Draxler, Khedira, Kimmich, Kroos, Muller, Ozil, Podolski, Schurrle, Schweinstiger, Weigl.

Gomez, Gotze, Sane.

Italy

Buffon, Marchetti, Sirigu.

Barzagli, Darmian, Bonucci, Chiellini, Ogbonna, De Sciglio.

Bernardesci, Candreva, De Rossi, El Shaarawy, Florenzi, Giaccherini, Motta, Parolo, Sturaro.

Eder, Immobile, Insigne, Pelle, Zaza.

Northern Ireland

Mannus, McGovern, Carrol.

Cathcart, Evans, McAuley, McCullough, McLaughlin, Hodson, Hughes, McNair, Baird.

Davies, Norwood, Evans, Ferguson, Dallas, McGinn, Ward.

Lafferty, Washington, Magennis, Grigg.

Portugal

Rui Patricio, Lopes, Eduardo.

Vieirinha, Cedric, Pepe, Carvalho, Alves, Fonte, Eliseu, Guerrero.

William Carvalho, Pereira, Moutinho, Sanches, Silva, Gomes, Mario.

Rafe Silva, Quaresma, Nani, Ronaldo, Eder.

Republic Of Ireland

Randolph, Given, Westwood.

Christie, Coleman, Clark, Keogh, Duffy, O'Shea, Ward.

McClean, Whelan, McCarthy, Hendrick, Quinn, Hoolahan, Meyer, Brady McGeady.

Walter, Long, Keane, Murphy.

Spain

Casillas, De Gea, Rico.

Bartra, Alba, Pique, Azpilicueta, Bellerin, Ramos, Juanfran.

Busquets, San Jose, Fabregas, Thiago, Soriano, Iniesta, Koke.

Pedro, Silva, Morata, Adruiz, Vazquez, Nolito.

Got the squads from the BBC Sport website, they have all the squads up there.

Not quite Euro 16 but... BREAKING: Netherlands win a game!

They beat Poland 2-1. No real surprises in any of tonight's other international friendlies.

Not quite Euro 16 but... BREAKING: Netherlands win a game!

They beat Poland 2-1. No real surprises in any of tonight's other international friendlies.
Well apart from Belgium stalling as they seem to always do. 1-0 down to Finland till the 88third minute. Yet they are seen as a dark horse.

Back