UEFA Euro 2016 Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,384 comments
Wales oversubscribed on tickets

The FAW has received more than three times as many applications for Euro 2016 group matches than it has tickets. Wales have an allocation of 17,000 for their three group games but fans have applied for 52,160 tickets.

The article goes on:

42,000 seater stadium: 7,000 tickets meaning 28,000 other seats assuming Slovakia have an equal allocation.
38,000 seater stadium: 5,000 tickets meaning 28,000 other seats assuming England have an equal allocation.
33,000 seater stadium: 5,000 tickets meaning 23,000 other seats assuming Russia have an equal allocation.

That's 17,000 tickets versus 79,000 other seats and that's including the opposition's tickets. However I doubt that England or Russia will have an equal allocation for those games.

What a jip! An allocation of 17,000 tickets is pathetic. That's less than half the capacity of the opening stadium and that's to sustain us for the entire group stage. Stick a few thousand for charities, sure, but I don't give a damn about commercial tickets and sponsorship tickets. They seem to be taking up an incredible majority of the allocated tickets. Up yours, UEFA.
1st world problems.

At least you're there.

So its International break this week with many teams preparing for Euro 2016 by playing friendlies, sadly and tragically however this break has coincided with another terrorist attack in Europe, just like the last International break in November, I just want to say like everyone that I want the tournament to take place peacefully and as normal, all the friendlies on Saturday are going ahead as scheduled.

Thought and prayers with everyone caught up in the atrocities today.

What a game... Germany 2:3 England, Kane's goal was sumptuous but Vardy's was just outrageous! If I've learned anything from that, it's that I no longer have any doubts that Rooney shouldn't be in that team, he'd just slow everything down... his time has passed. It's been awhile since I've felt this optimistic about our chances! :)

Approximate Twitter timeline of last night from England fans:
1945 - It's only a friendly and everyone knows England don't really have a realistic chance in the Euros.
2015 - This is boring. Roy Hodgson is boring.
2028 - Oh that was unlucky. I feel sorry for Jack Butland.
2057 - Well that's the game over. England are rubbish. We've got no chance.
2101 - Back in it, what a great goal from the best English striker since ever.
2114 - BEST GOAL EVER FROM THE OTHER BEST ENGLISH STRIKER SINCE EVER.
2131 - OH MY GOD THAT WAS AWESOME BEST ENGLAND TEAM EVER WE'RE GOING TO WIN EVERYTHING SCREW WAYNE ROONEY

Approximate Twitter timeline of last night from Germany fans:
2131 - It's only a friendly.

England should be locked away on a desert island immune from all forms of media prior to tournaments.

Really hate the media when it comes to internationals, they slate, till about a month prior then it switches on to the "were gonna win it"

it was pretty impressive by England but Germany stopped playing once they scored their second, and Ireland got 4 points from them in the qualifiers, but the goals from Kane and Vardy were superb, encouraging night for them overall.

Their problem in the last 10 or so years at least is picking name not form. Vardy should be starting alongside Harry Kane, best two strikers we have. We don't need Rooney or Welbeck up front.

It was a very good second half performance from England but Germany weren't playing anywhere near to their full potential (partly because they had Can in the defence). I do however think Rooney should be dropped from the starting XI and Kane and Vardy played upfront in a 4-4-2. Presuming England have all injured players back and available for selection, I think this is the best starting XI:

Hart
Rose, Smalling, Stones, Shaw
Barkley, Carrick, Shelvey, Drinkwater
Vardy, Kane

Hart
Vardy, Kane
That team would have lost to Germany. England are trying to play a pressing game a la Spurs and Liverpool and Carrick, Shelvey and Drinkwater don't run, they just pass. Henderson, Welbeck and Lallana had pretty average games, but their running helped the side pressure Germany into mistakes.

Also Dier has to play CDM.

I'd go:
Hart
Walker-Smalling-Stones-Rose
Dier-Drinkwater
Barkley-Alli
Kane-Vardy

If Liverpool pick up form in the league, as well as Spurs and Leicester maintaining their form, England will be really hard to cope with.

It was a very good second half performance from England but Germany weren't playing anywhere near to their full potential (partly because they had Can in the defence). I do however think Rooney should be dropped from the starting XI and Kane and Vardy played upfront in a 4-4-2. Presuming England have all injured players back and available for selection, I think this is the best starting XI:

Hart
Vardy, Kane

I don't know about Shaw, he was playing the best he had prior to injury but after 6/7/8 months on the injury list I think he'll not be up to scratch for the Euro and if he was taken it'd be a sympathy pick.

Wales likely to make changes for the Ukraine game tonight, Hodgeson will probably do the same tomorrow

That team would have lost to Germany. England are trying to play a pressing game a la Spurs and Liverpool and Carrick, Shelvey and Drinkwater don't run, they just pass. Henderson, Welbeck and Lallana had pretty average games, but their running helped the side pressure Germany into mistakes.

Also Dier has to play CDM.

I'd go:
Hart
Walker-Smalling-Stones-Rose
Dier-Drinkwater
Barkley-Alli
Kane-Vardy

If Liverpool pick up form in the league, as well as Spurs and Leicester maintaining their form, England will be really hard to cope with.

Don't you think you need some experience in the team though (Hence putting in Carrick and Shelvey)? They would certainly control that midfield and calm it down when things got rough. I don't really rate Henderson too highly but yeah if Lallana and Welbeck were on form, they would probably make the team ahead of Drinkwater and Shelvey. I overlooked Dier when I posted that but with hindsight, yes, he would be crucial in the defensive midfield area.

I don't know about Shaw, he was playing the best he had prior to injury but after 6/7/8 months on the injury list I think he'll not be up to scratch for the Euro and if he was taken it'd be a sympathy pick.

Good point but he's been back training with United for a few months now and he's expected back before the end of the season so if he can get a few games in before the end of the season, I think he has to at least travel with the squad (even if he isn't first choice, he'd still be a great backup to have).

Experience would be good if any of them actually experienced England playing at a high level and quite frankly, the team playing on Friday night probably had a bigger win than Hart, Carrick and Rooney have ever had for England.

I'd have Carrick and Rooney in the squad, not starting 11.

I wouldn't have Shelvey anywhere near.

Shaw I would bring if he got back into the United team now and showed himself to be clearly better than Rose and Bertrand, but I think he needs the summer break to build fitness and start back in August. Sadly, that sounds similar to last year.

England just lost 1-2 at Home to the Dutch, Vardy with England's goal and Janssen and Narsingh with Hollands goals, now means that England have beaten the World Champions and then lost to a team that wont even be at the Euros in the psace of three days...

England just lost 1-2 at Home to the Dutch, Vardy with England's goal and Janssen and Narsingh with Hollands goals, now means that England have beaten the World Champions and then lost to a team that wont even be at the Euros in the psace of three days...
Now who else do I, and yourself @MUSC4EVER watch who beat the best then lose to someone naff.......

It actually took me a few seconds to get that then, but yeah I think I know what you mean! :lol:

So some of the squads get announced this week, Hodgson names his England squad on Thursday, Chris Coleman has named a thirty man training squad for Wales, no Bale as he is still nursing an injury.

Eidur Gudjohnsson named in the Iceland squad.

Hup Holland Hup

Laat de leeuw niet in zn hempie staan!

Oh, that's right.

Only reading this makes me sad. I still think it's a shame, that we do not partipate at the Euro Finals and country's like Albania do.

But hey there still is Hungary, which i am going to support. Not that they are going to win any game..

Roy Hodgson delays naming the England squad until Monday, the day after the final day of the league season.

Wales midfielder Joe Ledley suffered a broken leg in training for Palace but could still play some part in the Euros.

Blow for England today as well with Welbeck out for 9 months, is favourite of Roy's and has a good goal scoring record for his country and would have probably started, opportunity for someone else now though.

England's provisional 26-man squad
CikeAhbXIAAkYnM.jpg

Henderson - Injured
Wilshire - Injured
Sterling - Crap
Rooney - Crap

Typical England squad. Big names who have been injured most of the season or out of form getting in. No Defore, Butland or Albrighton?

Bring on June 16th.

---

This is Wales' provisional 29 man squad.

Goalkeepers

Wayne Hennessy Crystal Palace
Owain Fôn Williams Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Danny Ward Liverpool

Defenders

Ashley Williams Swansea City
Ben Davies Tottenham Hotspur
James Collins West Ham United
James Chester West Bromwich Albion
Neil Taylor Swansea City
Chris Gunter Reading
Jazz Richards Fulham
Paul Dummett Newcastle United
Adam Matthews Sunderland
Adam Henley Blackburn Rovers

Midfielders

Aaron Ramsey Arsenal
Joe Ledley Crystal Palace
Joe Allen Liverpool
Jon Williams Crystal Palace
David Edwards Wolverhampton Wanderers
Andy King Leicester City
David Vaughan Nottingham Forest
Emyr Huws Wigan Athletic
Tom Lawrence Leicester City

Forwards

George Williams Fulham
Hal Robson Kanu Reading
Sam Vokes Burnley
Simon Church Milton Keynes Dons
David Cotterill Birmingham City
Tom Bradshaw Walsall
Wes Burns Bristol City

Gareth Bale is not included in this because he is on CL duty with Madrid. Expect him to be in the final team and seven above names to be axed.

Last edited:
Henderson - Injured
Wilshire - Injured
Sterling - Crap
Rooney - Crap

Typical England squad. Big names who have been injured most of the season or out of form getting in. No Defore, Butland or Albrighton?

Bring on June 16th.
Butland is injured but I'm surprised Defoe hasn't made the cut but no Antonio who has scored 9 goals from RB.

Would have been nice to see Antonio in, he's had a good season and offers something different. Another tournament for Rooney to do naff all in!

Back