Ugly But Appealing Vehicles

• Thread starter Vince
  • 1,202 comments
Cadillac EL-R

The prime example of "ugly but appealing" at the same time; from some angles it looks like a blobby mess, but from others, it's rather nice looking. Cliche, I know, but it would undoubtedly look better with RWD proportions instead of FWD. What's the appeal of this car? Uber-rare, ahead-of-it's-time styling, and being the most expensive FWD vehicle ever made. It started at $66,000, but could be optioned well over $70,000.

VXR
I think that's probably the best version of the Arts & Sciences design language.
I'm inclined to agree, and I find it quite attractive. I saw one in red in person some time back and it actually stopped me in my tracks.

ELR_Hero.jpg

While I don't care for the grills on those cars, I think it's best executed on this model.

glamorous-cadillac-grill-of-2014-elr-graphite-gray-43.jpg

I'm inclined to agree, and I find it quite attractive. I saw one in red in person some time back and it actually stopped me in my tracks.

ELR_Hero.jpg

While I don't care for the grills on those cars, I think it's best executed on this model.

glamorous-cadillac-grill-of-2014-elr-graphite-gray-43.jpg
This vehicle reminds me of the 2006 Eclipse...

Counterpoint: Then it would just be the CTS Coupe, which is awful.
I can see where you're coming from; it probably would look like an evolved version of the CTS Coupe, though six inches shorter. Personally, I see the CTS coupe as neither ugly or beautiful, rather somewhere in the middle. Though the ELR would still look better proportioned as RWD.

Ferrari 612 Scaglietti

[URL='https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiNz9a35qDkAhVFuVkKHZdSDJcQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fresponse.jp%2Farticle%2F2004%2F03%2F26%2F58963.html&psig=AOvVaw0Ytsm6mdnezTVEFJoeV7sF&ust=1566917926121637']

[URL='https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwitqcrE5qDkAhUGjlkKHcC-A2gQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ogumalist.com%2FvcsMember%2FstockList%2FphotoList.html%3FshopNo%3D806-1%26carNo%3D194&psig=AOvVaw0Ytsm6mdnezTVEFJoeV7sF&ust=1566917926121637']
[/URL][/URL]

There is little doubt that the 612 Scaglietti certainly isn't a well-proportioned car and one of Ferrari's most forgotten products ever. But the fact that it's little-known and cared about is part of it's appeal. It never gets compared with other grand-tourers or softer supercars, so it's kind of in a class of it's own. And although it might not be a looker, the styling is very tame for a Ferrari and it isn't fussy or overly angular like it's successors.

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R
fff_6499-54ca5741df7eb.jpg

A car that I don't consider beautiful, but there is just this very cool, badass and nostalgic look to it. One of the best designs ever created, imo.

VXR
I think that's probably the best version of the Arts & Sciences design language.

Tell me more about this "Arts & Sciences design language" - I've never heard of it until now, and you have my curiosity.

Tell me more about this "Arts & Sciences design language" - I've never heard of it until now, and you have my curiosity.

It was/is the styling direction the company took in the early 2000s, starting with the CTS, SRX and most notably the Cien concept car.

VXR
It was/is the styling direction the company took in the early 2000s, starting with the CTS, SRX and most notably the Cien concept car.
Don't forget the Evoq.

@MIE1992 it was the design language incorporating hard-edge, almost machined angular surfaces, columnar headlights flanking geometric grills and hindquarters reminiscent of fins.

It marked Cadillac's transition from conservatively-styled FWD cars to more modern, RWD cars that were less rounded and more jagged. This dramatic shift in design language was the result of Cadillac being on the brink of death in the early '00s- GM had poured nearly $5,000,000,000 into this project, so if it failed, Cadillac would be on the chopping block. In essence, it was an attempt to rid Cadillac of its image of staid, and rather depressing cars for old folks; the "Arts and Sciences" cars like the CTS, STS, and XLR would directly compete with German and Japanese luxury marques. Cadillac had realized that it couldn't stay in business by simply rebadging other GM cars and making them more "premium" as it used to, and I think the Catera disaster was the wake-up call.

I always thought people weren't really fans of the 7th Gen Toyota Celica, Sure it might not be the prettiest car out there but I was always a fan of how they looked especially with a subtle bodykit on to emphasise its lines better.
36049toy.jpg

Back