Ugly But Appealing Vehicles

• Thread starter Vince
  • 1,202 comments
I'm really not a fan of the front end of the Peugeot 208.
peugeot-208-r5-rally_glo.jpg

But I do have to admit, those classic Peugeot racing colours make it look a little better..

I wouldn't be surprised if many of you think it's ugly, but I quite like it. What makes the ZDX special is its daring exterior. This car stands out, while most crossovers blend in. I must say, the ZDX actually looks good from this angle.
Liked it enough to buy one. :sly:
I can't think of many cars from the 70's that had 30's styling cues...
excalibur_series-v_emblem_88.jpg

Last edited:
Continental Mark IV, Continental Mark V, Continental Mark III, Stutz Blackhawk, Chrysler Cordoba. 1971 Buick Riviera and the awful restyle of it in 1974. Those are just the more obvious ones, but you can expand that to anything that was trying to copy anything from them (which by the end of the decade at one point or another were most of the cars on the American market).

Last edited:
Continental Mark IV, Continental Mark V, Continental Mark III, Stutz Blackhawk, Chrysler Cordoba. 1971 Buick Riviera and the awful restyle of it in 1974. Those are just the more obvious ones, but you can expand that to anything that was trying to copy anything from them (which by the end of the decade at one point or another were most of the cars on the American market).

Okay, I see now. I just didn't think of those cars at the time of my post...

I wouldn't be surprised if many of you think it's ugly, but I quite like it. What makes the ZDX special is its daring exterior. This car stands out, while most crossovers blend in. I must say, the ZDX actually looks good from this angle.

BLEAH, I hate those things, and the Accord CrossTour (or whatever it's called). Mainly because I hate that entire marketing-sub-niche-driven type of car: "Am I a sedan? Am I a coupe? Am I a hatchback? Am I an SUV? No! I'm the worst parts of all those things slammed together into one big mess! I can't miss!" I hate the BMW X6, too, for that very reason.

While I still think the Juke is not really a handsome car by any means, the car aside from that has grown on me and I like the Nismo versions quite a bit.
2014-nissan-juke-nismo-rs-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-632061-s-450x274.jpg

I can understand people saying the Toyota Alphard/Vellfire twins would be ugly. But...I'm absolutely in love with them.
s19-1469596009-8939.jpg

__6498231_orig.png
Heck yeah. I follow the Stylewagon FB page. I guess these also, are my guilty pleasure.

Last edited:
Heck yeah. I follow the Stylewagon FB page. I guess these also, are my guilty pleasure.

I wasn't sure which thread to post it in. :lol:

SVX
Vellfires and Elgrands are the sort of cars I'd buy even if I didn't have kids. Hell, even if I was single.

Same! There's just something about them that seems so cool. Everyone in the US wants to import a Skyline or Supra. I....want an Alphard. :lol:

On the topic of EU Fords... the late '90s Ford Scorpio comes to mind. Although the styling is rather controversial on some angles, something (though I can't fully put my finger on it) appeals to me about a big sedan sold in a market full of superminis, that is RWD, V6-powered, and can be had with a 5-speed manual. It's one of the last cars of it's kind, especially across the pond in Europe.

Last edited:
On the topic of EU Fords... the late '90s Ford Scorpio comes to mind. Although the styling is rather controversial on some angles, something (though I can't fully put my finger on it) appeals to me about a big sedan sold in a market full of superminis, that is RWD, V6-powered, and can be had with a 5-speed manual. It's one of the last cars of it's kind, especially across the pond in Europe.

For the time, I can see why the styling could be controversial, but to me it looks a bit like a Toyota Soarer at the rear, with a little bit of Toyota Corolla in the front. I kind of like it...?

Back