Ugly But Appealing Vehicles

• Thread starter Vince
  • 1,202 comments
This car is pretty ugly too but I find it very unique and it has a 'Sub-Zero' level of cool to it.
panoz-esperante-gtr-1.jpg

I think I found my new favorite paint of the month.

This car is pretty ugly too but I find it very unique and it has a 'Sub-Zero' level of cool to it.
panoz-esperante-gtr-1.jpg

Isn't that also the only GTR-1 road car ever made? I read that only one was made to comply with homologation rules. Unless the car in the picture was converted from one of the race cars. Or otherwise made as a replica.

Isn't that also the only GTR-1 road car ever made? I read that only one was made to comply with homologation rules. Unless the car in the picture was converted from one of the race cars. Or otherwise made as a replica.
Yes, but Panoz will actually build you a new one for $890k not sure if this offer is still up though.

Wiki states that Panoz made two of them. It also states that they only made one of them...

Comparing the green and the purple ones together there are a few differences with badge placement and interior colour, but the main difference is the front splitter treatment.

Apparently this is a thing. A Dutch tuning company offered a Z1 front-end on the E30 3-Series. It looks strange, but I want one.

6CEE9906-AC35-46A8-8264-9813D03CE766.jpeg

8F1CD01B-1394-4553-99C0-2369FB0269D8.jpeg

That certainly fits in with the 'ugly' part of the threads name. Not finding much appealing about it though :yuck:

One of my earliest Matchbox models and a personal favourite even with its garish marine rescue theme.

matra rancho matchbox 1982.jpg
matra-rancho-matchbox-02.jpg

Had to wait 24 years to finally see one in the metal fiberglass.

IMG_20181111_154020.jpg

Last edited:
Back when i was about 12 years old, my dad got this utilitarian car... he went to the salvage yard, got a rear bench seat, put it it in the back and Voila... he made a windowless tiny van for our family to cheaply go about in Paris France.

My sister and i, we didn't know any better, but we were greatly amused by it...

maxresdefault.jpg

later when we got to america, and he had to provide a car for each of us on a low income, so he got himself this car:
1973-amc-hornet

and gave my sister and i this car when we got into college:
Toyota_Cressida-US-car-sales-statistics.jpg

I never liked these cars, the ingrateful son that i am, but now looking back, i love them, but i love my dad even more for sacrificing himself and giving us the opportunities to be who we are today !

These are only some of the eclectic cars in our family history... i have a few more... but enough nostalgia for today....

I just thought of something, the current Lexus GX. One of the worst uses of Lexus' modern predator grill, but I actually like these for what they are. It's a SUV that you can use as a hauler and possibly will last you for a long time. Plus, it doesn't have a lot of the modern nonsense that other SUVs have.
2020-lexus-gx460-101-1586193666.jpg

SavageGeese made a video giving his own take on it and he had good things to say about it:

I just thought of something, the current Lexus GX. One of the worst uses of Lexus' modern predator grill, but I actually like these for what they are. It's a SUV that you can use as a hauler and possibly will last you for a long time. Plus, it doesn't have a lot of the modern nonsense that other SUVs have.
2020-lexus-gx460-101-1586193666.jpg

SavageGeese made a video giving his own take on it and he had good things to say about it:

:crazy:

The GX460 is essentially a Land Cruiser Prado with a Lexus badge and 4.6 V8 instead of a V6 or inline 4. I would have agreed with you a little bit more if it was the Lexus LX but then again, i'm not the biggest fan of the 200 and 150 series cruisers but i still like them a bit.

Any JDM from the 80's.

Don't have a pic on my computer/phone, but my Mitsubishi isn't the best looking SUV from the era (compared to my neighbors who have a mid 90's Disco and a similarly ugly, but appealing G-Wagen), but it's nice late 90's-early 00's Japanese gold.

1121925061.jpg

Any JDM from the 80's.

Don't have a pic on my computer/phone, but my Mitsubishi isn't the best looking SUV from the era (compared to my neighbors who have a mid 90's Disco and a similarly ugly, but appealing G-Wagen), but it's nice late 90's-early 00's Japanese gold.

1121925061.jpg
I've always thought of the Montero as the Japanese Chevy S-10 Blazer.

I've always thought of the Montero as the Japanese Chevy S-10 Blazer.

Yeah. Maybe a bit better build quality though.

It’s not appealing to me, but I know Porsche sold bundles of them, but the first gen Boxster nails the front end, but it seems like they gave up about 3/4 of the way to the back.

upload_2020-8-22_13-8-41.jpeg

Yeah. Maybe a bit better build quality though.

It’s not appealing to me, but I know Porsche sold bundles of them, but the first gen Boxster nails the front end, but it seems like they gave up about 3/4 of the way to the back.

View attachment 951277
I think that was done to keep the Boxster as similar looking to the (then just as new) 996 as possible.

I think that was done to keep the Boxster as similar looking to the (then just as new) 996 as possible.

But they could’ve done so much more with that rear. Though, for a 90s German car, it was probably groundbreaking. A bit like the Europa above. Came out maybe a few year earlier than people and car design was ready for.

Lotus Europa

f72e6897b53825a8f6d5f526471e3564.jpg

Not bad from the front though.

In it's defense, it was one of the earliest mid-engine road cars and i don't think anyone had really discovered the best way to package that configuration up to that point.

I actually think the earlier S1 version, which was more bread-van like in its styling is more appealing than the later TwinCam version posted.

Lotus Europa S2 1970 rear.jpg

Any JDM from the 80's.

1121925061.jpg
It has a sibling called the pajero which i think looks a lot better but this aint too bad

View attachment 951277

i think the first gen Boxster actually worked really well, considering Porsche usually take a generation to warm up when they enter a new segment. it's the first gen Caymans don't quite work in my eyes. It's as if they don't want it to look too 911ish, as that would render the 911 pointlessly expensive, but can't think of a decent way of making it look different enough. That exaggerated hofmeister kink style rear side window treatment didn't quite work so well with the rest of the rear end IMO.

Also, to slightly clarify the record, the 986 actually came first, and the similarity was a cost-saving move more than anything - they are essentially the same car ahead of the a-pillar. The concept for the Box' with it's trademark "fried egg" headlights was first shown in 1992. Pilot production began in 1995

800px-Porsche_Boxster_Concept_IMG_0832.jpg

Last edited:
Back