Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Chris gave it his best shot against a rabid group of people who were always going to hate Jezza's successors (amongst those who genuinely didn't feel he was a fit for the show). Whomever (if anyone) comes in to replace him will have the infinitely easier job as the call will be 'At least he's not as bad as Evans...' and not consistently at every corner compared to the show's older hosts.

Given how many hosts they have - it may be a better choice to just bump Harris or Rory into the main hosting.

Chris gave it his best shot against a rabid group of people who were always going to hate Jezza's successors (amongst those who genuinely didn't feel he was a fit for the show). Whomever (if anyone) comes in to replace him will have the infinitely easier job as the call will be 'At least he's not as bad as Evans...' and not consistently at every corner compared to the show's older hosts.

Given how many hosts they have - it may be a better choice to just bump Harris or Rory into the main hosting.
This is wrong I believe, it's not the viewer that pit Evans against Clarkson, it's BBC themselves that put Evans in Clarkson shoes by making him present like JC and trying to act like him when they are obviously 2 totally different people. It's normal that you compares people that are in the same spot doing the same things.

Like the successor of Cameron will be compared to him because they are doing the same things, it's the same here.

Instead of changing the format and giving us a fresh new show, they tried to bend it to fit the new crew which let's be honest wasnt really a good idea. And with Evans at the head of the show it's normal that he got the most critics. And he was the one that felt the most forced, probably because he was the one designed to be the new Clarkson by the BBC themselves.

If you check the other members of the crew they arent taking May or Hammond place and are not acting like them while Evans is indeed trying to emulate what Clarkson did, being scripted or coming from him, I dont really care it doesnt work in my opinion.

This is wrong I believe, it's not the viewer that pit Evans against Clarkson, it's BBC themselves that put Evans in Clarkson shoes by making him present like JC and trying to act like him when they are obviously 2 totally different people. It's normal that you compares people that are in the same spot doing the same things.

Like the successor of Cameron will be compared to him because they are doing the same things, it's the same here.

Instead of changing the format and giving us a fresh new show, they tried to bend it to fit the new crew which let's be honest wasnt really a good idea. And with Evans at the head of the show it's normal that he got the most critics. And he was the one that felt the most forced, probably because he was the one designed to be the new Clarkson by the BBC themselves.

If you check the other members of the crew they arent taking May or Hammond place and are not acting like them while Evans is indeed trying to emulate what Clarkson did, being scripted or coming from him, I dont really care it doesnt work in my opinion.

I agree with some of your points, but the ones in bold I totally disagree with, Evans on TG was far closer to Evans on TFI Friday, Big Breakfast or Don't forget your toothbrush... than he was to JC on TG. I just don't see it. There may be similarities, but it's wrong to simply accuse Evans of copying. As I've said before, his TV presenting style dates back to about the time TG was launched in '92, I've never liked it, but it's not a Clarkson rip-off.

Apparently Ellie Goulding wants to do Top Gear, would be a good idea if anything for the eye candy! And shes the kinda person that would be up for a laugh.

The BBC didn't help matters with their approach, but let's not pretend as soon as Evans got the job he wasn't targeted as 'Jeremy's successor'.

I agree with some of your points, but the ones in bold I totally disagree with, Evans on TG was far closer to Evans on TFI Friday, Big Breakfast or Don't forget your toothbrush... than he was to JC on TG. I just don't see it. There may be similarities, but it's wrong to simply accuse Evans of copying. As I've said before, his TV presenting style dates back to about the time TG was launched in '92, I've never liked it, but it's not a Clarkson rip-off.

The only time I thought he was trying to copy Clarkson was the first episode introductions, "Tonight....". Then by the second episode he'd toned it down/changed the delivery.

Well I dont know any other of his show and I might be wrong, but it felt that they forced him to act like Jeremy in the first few episode, he's screaming like Jeremy, driving like him, and he's the main face of the show so yeah, that's why I thought he acted like Clarkson. I might be wrong but it felt that way to me. His review were like POWERRRRR and all so yeah. I didnt accuse him of copying if you read my post ^.^

The only time I thought he was trying to copy Clarkson was the first episode introductions, "Tonight....". Then by the second episode he'd toned it down/changed the delivery.
Which I believe was done to be ironic along with the attempted 'and on that bombshell ending', I definitely didn't see a Clarkson-lite in Evans - Just someone not really suited to the job.

The BBC didn't help matters with their approach, but let's not pretend as soon as Evans got the job he wasn't targeted as 'Jeremy's successor'.

But off course, it's normal that he was targeted, like I said, they kept the format and only change a few minor things. Also it's series 23, not serie 1 like the old new TG was. So off course he was gonna be targeted as Clarkson successor as he's the main host of the show.

But off course, it's normal that he was targeted, like I said, they kept the format and only change a few minor things. Also it's series 23, not serie 1 like the old new TG was. So off course he was gonna be targeted as Clarkson successor as he's the main host of the show.
Yep, I do agree with you in how the BBC handled it, but I personally believe it wouldn't have made a dime of difference if it was renamed 'series 1' - a lot of people made up their mind before it had begun.

Apparently Ellie Goulding wants to do Top Gear, would be a good idea if anything for the eye candy! And shes the kinda person that would be up for a laugh.
No, thanks. Flipping the bird as her response to nay sayers says enough she can't handle it.

As a guest or host ? Is she a car girl ?

As a host. I don't think she knows the first thing about cars but hey neither did Hammond really :lol: Not a big fan of her but compared to Evans... I'l take my chances :sly: I think everyone under the sun will be rumoured to be hosting until the next season!

Politics, Theresa May, Philip Hammond and Jeremy Corbyn. :P

Funny how the old Trio sometimes talked about what they would do if they were in power and now we have May, Hammond and JC in power.

Just not the May, Hammond and JC we know and love. :lol:

Lethal Bizzle is a really funny guy and is great on comedy panel shows. Great personality and would be perfect for Top Gear.

Meanwhile here is his MOBO performance where he totally KILLED it, especially with that sweet entrance :drool:

Last edited:
...I was watching James May's Cars of the People earlier today and it got me thinking.

Not sure whether it's been clarified or not, but how will BBC handle the old "New" Top Gear back episodes featuring the trio?

Wouldn't Clarkson, May and Hammond appearing on a competing - so to speak - channel create some sort of complications, viewer perception-wise?

Also, not 100% sure of where I heard about this, but wasn't Clarkson on board as a producer of the series? Doesn't it mean whenever the old episodes are sold somewhere in the world, he gets a small slice of the pie?
How does that even work?

....Hmm.

Oh and Cars is a great show. May's perfect in it.
Interesting that, for the second season, there are no association with the Top Gear brand.

Back