Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
On August 26 they added season 22 to Netflix Canada.... It's now gone less than a month later. :|

Wonder why they did that? It's still available here in the US.

Apparently Paul Hollywood was offered Top Gear but that fell apart when he went to Channel 4 with Bake Off.

Would he have really been right for TG away? :rolleyes:

clarkson is top gear to me, even in the early 90s when i used to watch it, his bits were the best..:) had big hair aswell..

Top Gear 1991 Eps 14 big hair clarky.avi_snapshot_18.02_[2016.09.22_19.18.11].jpg

What a novel and 100% new, never been done before idea, get old cars and drag race them without steering input, how didn't anyone thing of that before.

Well technically it has been done before by the TGUSA guys in one of the season 6 episodes titled, "America Vs Europe". ;)

...Saw that last week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, by trimming the unnecessary fat the TG crew can focus on making a more tolerable show from now on. Besides, these three guys were the "finds" of the disaster that was season 23.

If they (the Beebs) are planning to go down the "three men argue a lot and then fall over" routine, I'm all for it. TG USA worked the best (in my opinion) when it was Wood, Ferrera, and Faust arguing with each other.

I can just see it now - Harris as the angry, perpetually excitable little guy with a short fuse, Le Blanc as the laid back, slightly ill informed Yankee/redneck and Reid as the everyday straight guy in the middle, bemusedly wading through all the chaos going on around him.

I'm not exactly hyped to watch this, and I think the reason why is that they are (totally understandably) using the Top Gear name.

There really aren't enough cool shows about cars, so if I had seen this out of context I might've been excited to give it a shot. By slapping the TG name on it, it makes it feel a little bit like a cynical cash in on what the previous hosts had built. I'm sure its just my own biases, TG was around well before Clarkson, Hammond, and May, and this wont be its first (or last) reboot.

Also, I feel like I had heard the cast would be better. I only recognize LeBlanc from that group, and I'm not crazy about him. I remember hearing rumors about Jensen Button, who would've given the show a ton of credibility.

I'll still give it a try, maybe my lowered expectations will prove to be a good thing. My heightened expectations for The Grand Tour definitely left me wanting more.

I have to say, was not expecting to be somewhat interested in this season but I am. Totally fine with the choices as Harris is pretty much what they should've had in the first place, retaining Le Blanc was a good move as he was far better host that I feel kinda gets it, and I actually do like Reid after seeing him for the first time in anything. As long as the BBC don't force them to try and act like the previous trio (which is what actually made American Top Gear Watchable), they are good in my eyes. Its why I hated Chris Evans on there so much because not only was he unnecessarily loud, but its like he tried way too damn hard to be Jeremy Clarkson and just came off as massively forced.

Last season was a wait and see for me, now its something I actually do need to watch this time around. And the best part, no shouting in the studio. Now I'm just hoping they scrap that disaster that was the SIARPC from last season and take it back to its simpler setup.

I like Reid and Harris, undecided on Le Blanc but it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully they let them be their own person (no reusing the personalities of the original trio) and develop their own chemistry otherwise they've learnt absolutely nothing from the disastrous last season.

IMO, they should stop trying so hard to copy the old trio and just let their own personalities and chemistry shine through. With Evans gone, if they can do that it should at least make the show watchable. No, it won't be as good as TG in its heyday, but even GT isn't so nothing else will.

The bonus of having Le Blanc is that he can actually act, so even when he is going off script it's far more natural than the others, or the original trio.
That is a strong suit that is fairly important given how scripted things are becoming (and it's not just Top Gear and The Grand Tour that suffer from this).

Back