Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
I enjoyed the new season so far. Both episode were funny and the chemistry is definitely working for me. Plus I think Harris and LeBlanc are getting along well. Definitely enjoying this more than the new TGT with the trio getting too old and trying too much imo.

Seems like TG is sponsored by McLaren this season :lol: I love their cars but man, they are really spamming the last 2 episodes. Amazing how close the 720S is to the P1 though. And if you look at TGT power board the Huracan Performante is even faster. No wonder it beat the 'Ring laptime (cheating or not).

Extra Gear is also pretty good this week. I love hearing Franchitti's explanation on the driving dynamics of each of the hybrid hypers. I've only experienced them in Assetto but his descriptions are bang on 👍

I'm not even sure which episode it was in but did anyone else find the "reversing camera in small hatchbacks" section a bit weird? It was over in a few minutes and really didn't fit in with the rest of the show.

I'm not even sure which episode it was in but did anyone else find the "reversing camera in small hatchbacks" section a bit weird? It was over in a few minutes and really didn't fit in with the rest of the show.
I agree. I really hate how Rory Reid has been put on the back burner. Harris and Leblanc are supposed to have a bromance according to the interview with Chris Harris on Jalopnik.

This Sunday's episode sounds pretty good, they are in Japan and Matt and Chris buy two second hand sports cars at a car auction and take them on a road trip around the country, Rory explores Japanese car culture.

This Sunday's episode sounds pretty good, they are in Japan and Matt and Chris buy two second hand sports cars at a car auction and take them on a road trip around the country, Rory explores Japanese car culture.

Hope theres a bit of bosozoku action in. There tonight. 2nd hand sports cars. Whatever they are would make me blow my load.

Hope theres a bit of bosozoku action in. There tonight. 2nd hand sports cars. Whatever they are would make me blow my load.
I’m not gonna say there WILL be some bosozoku rides, but it’s VERY likely they will make an appearance, Also the 2 cars they get are lust worthy or at the very least look lust worthy for any JDM fan.;)

My sources? some previews of tonight’s episode are out and about on the web. :D

What they did to that pristine RX-7 was criminal.

Was a good episode... finally. I am surprised at what is considered street legal in Japan. How can they drive around with those modifications and lights and have it be totally fine?

Oh, and the Porsche :drool:

Extra gear i found it better watch this week than the mclaren love in last week. Also werent impressed with the gran turismo part proper cringeworthy. Liked the 240/nissan part .not sure why jann mardenborough is fully going for the lewis hamilton. Unless he has already for a while. I dont know.

Liked top gear this week. Thought the keisuke rx7 was cool. Wasnt bothered about the skyline (funny thought it wasnt a r34)rory bit i liked, bosozoku, disco lambos and le mans porsche. Bromance was good this week.

Last edited:
@Crazybutt198 That IS an R34, just not a BNR34 (GT-R), rather an ER34 (25GT-T)

This episode was amazing, considering how much I've followed Japanese car culture, and compared to the CHM days, hasn't focused on car culture. I feel like Top Gear Magazine been brought to the telly!

• Feels good to see the GT-T as the star, rather than the GT-R
  • The biggest highlights were the bosozoku and Morohoshi's Lambo!
  • Hearing the words "Hakone Turnpike", "Gunsai Too-gay", "Ebisu" and "bosozoku" on Top Gear was...refreshing
  • I also liked the Ichiban Lipstick reference in the end :lol:

A fresh of breath air, this was.

@Crazybutt198 That IS an R34, just not a BNR34 (GT-R), rather an ER34 (25GT-T)

This episode was amazing, considering how much I've followed Japanese car culture, and compared to the CHM days, hasn't focused on car culture. I feel like Top Gear Magazine been brought to the telly!

• Feels good to see the GT-T as the star, rather than the GT-R
  • The biggest highlights were the bosozoku and Morohoshi's Lambo!
  • Hearing the words "Hakone Turnpike", "Gunsai Too-gay", "Ebisu" and "bosozoku" on Top Gear was...refreshing
  • I also liked the Ichiban Lipstick reference in the end :lol:

A fresh of breath air, this was.

fair point about the r34. I just wish they put another hero car on instead. Didnt like all the manga style/retro gaming on power test (too much, too stereotypical, did like the cars).

The Japanese accent impersonation on Honda Civic VS Lexus LS500 was just cringeworthy.

Seeing the treatment for RX7 like that is maddening.

But Rory Reid simply stole the show. Japan Car Culture presented interestingly.

And theres the road legal Porsche 962. Like WTF. Im really shocked when I see that actually exists. And the sound, ouh god.

And when RX7 and Skyline tied together, spot the corner where Daigo Saito done Jump Drift. Its not remotely hard.

Last edited:
...Caught the first two episodes. It's... not bad, I suppose. Although, I noticed that Rory Reid is like he's not even there. He's only there to do his thing on Extra Gear. Poor fella. The rapport between LeBlanc and Harris is amazing. Not sure how much of it is staged, but they do look really comfortable around each other.

And oh boy, that F650. That thing is nonsensically huge. Why on earth anyone would find such a vehicle remotely necessary boggles my mind. But I do want one, though.

I've just wasted an hour watching this 'tat' out of a mis-guided sense of loyalty to Top Gear and my love of car shows.

Scrap the whole thing and stop trying to make money out of the franchise BBC.

Even Harris and Joey are starting to annoy me.

Tremendous episode, but seeing that R34 and especially that RX-7 being ruined broke my heart.

I know right. I cringed so much and expected more from the supposedly car lover Harris. Very poor treatment of such a pristine classic. At least it's not an NSX or I would've had a heart attack.

The other parts of the episode was pretty good but I was already aware of the various weirdness of Japan's car culture that it doesn't exactly come as a surprise anymore. Also it's pronounced "toe-geh", not "too-gay" Harris.

Seeing Jann on Extra Gear and shout out to GT was pretty cool. Surprised that he said GT500 cars make about 600-750 horsepower though. I thought they were always limited to 500? :odd:

For those with more appetite for bozo Lambos and road legal Le Mans machinery:

More crazy stuff at Hakone Turnpike - Japan's own Nurburgring (the road where Rory drove the 962C):

Enjoy 👍

I also really enjoyed that episode - no SIARPC segment and a genuinely interesting look at different examples of car culture in Japan. Even the phony, scripted bits were forgivable.

This was definitely one of the best episodes with this set of presenters. I wish Rory Reid has a bigger part. Having him drive a Supra or something would have been great.

I know right. I cringed so much and expected more from the supposedly car lover Harris. Very poor treatment of such a pristine classic. At least it's not an NSX or I would've had a heart attack.

I was wincing throughout the entire section with the drift setup. :( However Harris has since said on Twitter that he wants to buy his RX7:

I also really enjoyed that episode - no SIARPC segment and a genuinely interesting look at different examples of car culture in Japan. Even the phony, scripted bits were forgivable.

I honestly didn't even notice the SIARPC segment was missing until you said...

When TGT is on, it's the best.
When TG is on, it's the best.
That's my take on it now

There seems to be a real disparity between the quality of the in studio segments compared to the rest of the programme. It's like they can act only when its out and about! For example this week, excellent on location stuff with appallingly cringe studio and SIARPC segments.

Pretty average episode for me, nothing bad really but nothing special, just a bit meh.

It's becoming apparent that Matt and Chris have a rapport and Rory is just kind of there. But even with what Rory was doing he wasn't that interesting. He barely said anything journalistic while in the Hyundai and in the end it sounded like they bashed South Korea more than praised it just to try and show how much the praise is worth (because they were sooooo bad before). It's like a backhanded insult/compliment.

Oh, and did you remember Sabine? They mentioned she'll be in the next episode. She's still on the show. She really needs to do more because she's hysterical. Germans going wild is one of the best kinds of wild.

It's becoming apparent that Matt and Chris have a rapport and Rory is just kind of there. But even with what Rory was doing he wasn't that interesting. He barely said anything journalistic while in the Hyundai and in the end it sounded like they bashed South Korea more than praised it just to try and show how much the praise is worth (because they were sooooo bad before). It's like a backhanded insult/compliment.

I agree, Rory's way of doing things is rather odd. He uses too many analogies and buzz words without much on the journalistic side.

All I got from that segment was a dig at South Korea, "well done for slightly improving on utterly appalling cars" :lol:

Basically. And not even buzz words so much as scream yeaaaa and awesome! trying to make it more exciting I guess.

Chris and Matt really make me laugh and I enjoy it when they’re on screen. Rory still doesn’t cut it for me I’m afraid.

Back