Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Although it was quite a big jump I wouldn't expect the engine on a reasonably expensive Volvo SUV to 'fall out' :lol:

I think it partially a safety thing. During a front end collision, the engine mounts break and angle the engine downwards instead of coming through the firewall. At least that's what people are saying in various Volvo Facebook groups I'm apart of. No idea if that's true or not though.

I am a bit confused as to where a clip from the Ep1 montage disappeared too - it showed Harris in a racing suit being unintentionally pushing through a flimsy wall laughing his arse off.....dont recall that being anywhere in the series :confused:

I am a bit confused as to where a clip from the Ep1 montage disappeared too - it showed Harris in a racing suit being unintentionally pushing through a flimsy wall laughing his arse off.....dont recall that being anywhere in the series :confused:
They did a race at Silverstone in October, which I was marshalling at. They must have decided that the film wasn't good enough, or they're saving it for next series.

They did a race at Silverstone in October, which I was marshalling at. They must have decided that the film wasn't good enough, or they're saving it for next series.
Yea. I remember watching a YouTube video of the race (probably on his channel) and that clip was there so I was familiar with it before seeing it on Top Gear.

Okay so I know this thread isnt exactly about the old show anymore but I dont know where else to ask...

Is there literally any place that you can now find the old series, easily, all in one place, unedited? I cant even find dvds of them on the internet...

....Probably the Beeb's archives. Whether they want those tapes to surface or not is another question entirely...

My bad, for not actually being helpful. Finding the unedited old-New TG outside of BBC's storage would be harder than finding a needle in the proverbial.

I would love to see what you would call old old Top Gear episodes again.

There are many clips and segments on YouTube but rarely any full episodes around. I guess most would find it quite dull!

There was a period when all the old top gear episodes were getting uploaded to YouTube, before prompt removals due to copyright violations but it was great fun watching them. The episodes like £1000 italian supercars and trying to make it to the strip club. That was my favourite period of Top Gear. Used to spend so much of my teen years watching Dave. :lol:

So Matt is leaving after the next series, apparently, and it's going to be "guess the presenter" all over again. Personally I would love to see Harry Metcalfe, but I'm not sure he can ape it up enough for comic effect, he's too genuine and down to earth.

Although Rory and Chris are great together, they don't really get along. Maybe the BBC should just get an entirely new cast of two or three people who get along in the real world who will automatically have good chemistry.

I haven’t watched Top Gear since Clarkson and company left but I’d heard positive things on the recent seasons.

Never a Friends fan either, but the first time I ever really noticed Matt Le Blanc was his Reasonably Priced Car appearance some time back and thought he’d be the perfect guy to host a car show, he came across so well in those pre-facas appearances on the show.

Unfortunate to see he wasn’t able to continue this long term, I would’ve definitely been more interested in watching Top Gear again, but can’t fault the guy for his reasons to leave.

I think all 3 of the current presenters are hopeless. No chemistry whatsoever but hardly surprising. They've had some tough shoes to fill.

Jimmy Broadbent needs to send his CV in.👍

As much as I like Chris Harris, I don’t see him as a presenter, seems like a really nice guy and knows his cars, but the charisma just isn’t there.

I do not like Matt Le Blanc hosting the show whatsoever, so wooden in front of the camera, feels like every line is being read from a script. Glad he’s leaving tbh.

As for Rory, he’s the most charismatic of the three, the most natural presenter but at the same time I think he’s a bit of a douche.

This last season felt like it was Chris and Matt, then Rory separately, only half the episodes had the three of them all doing something together.

Honestly I think they should call time on top gear unless they can really pull a great host out of the bag. Hell I’d even take Tiff at this point.

As much as I like Chris Harris, I don’t see him as a presenter, seems like a really nice guy and knows his cars, but the charisma just isn’t there.

I do not like Matt Le Blanc hosting the show whatsoever, so wooden in front of the camera, feels like every line is being read from a script. Glad he’s leaving tbh.

As for Rory, he’s the most charismatic of the three, the most natural presenter but at the same time I think he’s a bit of a douche.

This last season felt like it was Chris and Matt, then Rory separately, only half the episodes had the three of them all doing something together.

Honestly I think they should call time on top gear unless they can really pull a great host out of the bag. Hell I’d even take Tiff at this point.
I didn't see the most recent series but based on the one before that I agree with your reviews of the presenters. I didn't understand why so many people posting here thought Matt Le Blanc's acting was good.
Having said that, I'm not sure the show should be cancelled. The BBC doesn't have anything else similar and TV in general is rarely of such a high quality that Top Gear stands out as "bad" at all.

Bring back Jeremey Clarkson. Top gear is dead, not watching until the trio come back. Who's with me?

Sorry had to do that. It didn't feel right not seeing this place be the only place without that type of comment.

Bring back Jeremey Clarkson. Top gear is dead, not watching until the trio come back. Who's with me?

Sorry had to do that. It didn't feel right not seeing this place be the only place without that type of comment.
I'd be amazed if either the BBC or any of the Clarkson-era trio were interested in that.

...If the suits at the Beebs are planning to keep Harris and Reid, then I'm betting a couple of cents I found under the couch that they will look for another American to replace LeBlanc. "International appeal" and all that. The inevitable questions are: 1 - who's out of work, 2 - who also happens to be quite popular, somewhat, and 3 - seen as a sort of a petrolhead/gearhead?

Jay Leno, anyone? No?

Back