Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
That could be a good guess, but is he still expensive? I assume he will have been when he was on Late Night.

...That had been a good few years ago, so I'm guessing his price tag's a lot lower these days. I mean, his only TV show on air is Jay Leno's Garage spinoff on... can't remember what channel it was on.

I was just throwing around the first name that popped up in my head, though.

I wouldn't mind them asking Guy Martin again but while I think he'd be great at the job, he's too much in love with his lorries to leave them behind.

My dream team (minus Guy Martin...and Jimmy Broadbent:D) for the show would be ex F1 drivers. Irvine, Button and maybe Webber. Bring some proper unforced banter back to the show.

This last season felt like it was Chris and Matt, then Rory separately, only half the episodes had the three of them all doing something together.

I couldn't help notice that too. I wish the directors involved Rory in more of the trips or tests of some of the faster cars, it seemed like Rory got whatever was leftover but I'm sure there's some boring reason like insurance costs to explain it.

As for the a new presenter I don't think Jay Leno or Guy Martin would be the right pick. I'd like to see Jodie Kidd have a go for a few episodes.

The new frontman should be:

Famous
Someone who fawns over celebrities in order to get guests
Known already for a motoring show

and, most importantly:

Someone nobody will mind going down with the ship because the show is dead and they'll be remembered as the person that killed it.

I nominate James Corden.

...With Corden in the hot seat, will we get a segment of Stars in a Reasonably Priced Carpool Karaoke, then?

It died with Clarkson's sacking. The trio, along with the Stig were the reason the show was so successful. It's been a very poor imitation since they left.

I've read that Amazon haven't renewed Grand Tour yet so the trio could be out of work soon. A small U-turn by the BBC and the trio taking a pay cut of millions might make the world happy again. If only...

...I like the nomination of Ramsay. I think it might be fun to have a so-called non-car person to fill up the vacancy. And have Harris and Reid try to educate the new member in exasperation, only to fail spectacularly every week.

Sure, such comedy routine might grow old quickly, so the Beebs will need to hire smart writers to make sure that happens as late as possible.

I reckon the show needs a technical aspect to it. Say someone like Ed China having the car up on a ramp showing how the mechanical side works, under the bonnet/hood stuff. Harris needs to stay along with Rory. Guy Martin or Jodie Kidd would work well too.

The new frontman should be:

Famous
Someone who fawns over celebrities in order to get guests
Known already for a motoring show

and, most importantly:

Someone nobody will mind going down with the ship because the show is dead and they'll be remembered as the person that killed it.

I nominate James Corden.
Why not just throw in Gina Yashere and 🤬 for good measure?

Last edited:
Welp, just as the trio was starting to gel last season. Now they've replaced them with 2 nobodies. Chris should just leave the sinking ship and go back to Chris Harris on Cars. At least then his fans can watch him do stuff without having to deal with the other 2.

I guess this means TGT is gonna be the de factor No. 1 car show *in the world*.

Wow just wow, bottom of the barrel.

A bloke that fell off a pedelo in the Caribbean and who's been selling online men's clothing ever since and another bloke who presents possibly the tackiest "dating" show on TV. Plus no one outside of the UK will understand a word they are saying.

A good decision in my eyes. The current presenters are crap, including Harris. He needs to go too.

Flintoff and McGuinness should bounce off each other well and the banter will be nowhere near as forced as it is now. It still needs a good petrol head front man though.

Latest Posts

Back