Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
They should have got someone like Tim Shaw, Jodie Kidd etc or the various alumni from old TG, 5th Gear, Pulling Power or Driven...

So many choices and they went with this!

FT-1
Paddy should be good with new car reviews, he is used to taking models for a ride.

If Christine was presenting I'd be watching... :sly:

Sad. Rory was great, Chris was getting the hang of presenting and started to show some character. I always thought that Matt was the most replaceble of the trio.

Umm...

AjarCelebratedFlicker-size_restricted.gif

A good decision in my eyes. The current presenters are crap, including Harris. He needs to go too.

Flintoff and McGuinness should bounce off each other well and the banter will be nowhere near as forced as it is now. It still needs a good petrol head front man though.

Agreed. Despite his Take Me Out lows Paddy MacGuiness is a comedian at the end of the day so should provide some light hearted entertainment.

Flintoff has always been great at whatever he does from inspiring England to relinquish Australia’s then iron grip on the Ashes to being an amusing panel member on a League of Their Own which did have actually a few trips around the world ala Top Gear.. His stories on Radio 5 Live are normally amusing eye openers as well.

Looking forward to it a damn sight more than TGT to be honest.

If you ever wondered if the BBC saw Top Gear as a car show, or an entertainment show, there's your answer.

If you ever wondered if the BBC saw Top Gear as a car show, or an entertainment show, there's your answer.

It's been an entertainment show for at least a decade now. Arguably since they got rid of Jason Dawes and his 'nerdy' section on the current car market.

We're lucky these days that we have a plethora of lets say proper car content on the internet. There's plenty of YouTube channels to feed the appetite of a hardened car nut.

International audiences are not going to have a clue what either of them are saying. Good job the show isn't a massive money spinner for BBC Worldwide in foreign markets or anything.

And all so that they can capture the lad banter crap McGuinness shovels out (and Flintoff embodies). Dreadful, inexplicable decisions.

I don't understand... Matt said he's leave at the end of the next series, so will it be Joey, the cricketer, Newcastle and baldy presenting the next series or has LeBlanc left the show completely and won't appear next series?

I actually quite like the new Top Gear. I'm not really sure what to expect of the next series but I'll give it a go anyway.

Probably not going to continue watching Top Gear with these two additions. A shame really as I was a fan of LeBlanc, Harris and Reid, sure they had a shaky start (not helped by a year of Evans either...) but this last season was really enjoyable to watch and you could feel a genuine bond forming between the three. It was far more relaxed than the first season they did as a trio, Matt was less wooden, and Chris and Rory had more to do. I kinda wish they didn't paint Chris as this angry, bad guy as it's a bit of a rubbish act and they could really use a strong, likeable character with him seeing as he's the only one continuing in the main show.

I honestly don't know what to make of this news.

I really like Flintoff, as someone who's mildly interested in Cricket and hasn't missed an episode of A League Of Their Own since it started and listens to the podcast he does with Savage and Syed, I think he will be a good addition to the show, he actually presented a show on Sky One that was loosely based on cars called Carnage a few months ago.

I also like McGuinness....but I think this is the most weird, random bit of news I'm going to see or hear for some time!

....What the hell? Flintoff?

You kidding me. Don't know who the other lanky fella is, and for some reason, I'm not that keen to find out.

Okay, I will give the new trio some benefit of doubt. Who knows, the new boys might gel brilliantly from the get-go.

Puzzled about Rory, though. Why the demotion, I wonder?

....What the hell? Flintoff?

You kidding me. Don't know who the other lanky fella is, and for some reason, I'm not that keen to find out.

Okay, I will give the new trio some benefit of doubt. Who knows, the new boys might gel brilliantly from the get-go.

Puzzled about Rory, though. Why the demotion, I wonder?
Probably for the same reason he barely featured in the big films in the past series... I don't know but there's got to be a reason.

I guess a lot of people want this show to go back to the fusty rep-mobile car reviews they used to do 30 years ago. Maybe get Angela Rippon or William Woollard to front it again so they can tell us how good (or bad) the new Vauxhall Insignia is.

The thing is, nobody knows how well they'll get along until Series 27 which is over a year away. We've still got Matt's last series (which I guess was delayed from this year to early next year). It could be terrible, but at the same time it could be better than Jeremy, Richard and James. We don't know yet.

Also, will Rory Reid present Series 26 or has he already gone?

I guess a lot of people want this show to go back to the fusty rep-mobile car reviews they used to do 30 years ago. Maybe get Angela Rippon or William Woollard to front it again so they can tell us how good (or bad) the new Vauxhall Insignia is.

Where do I sign up! Was watching May review the Murano the other day, how I long for this type of TG to return, where it was a balance between the informative and the silly.

There is a Best of Top Gear on BBC 2 at 6pm tonight, and one on same time next Sunday.

New, haven't seen it but according to the TV guide it contained MLB in the Ariel Nomad.

New, haven't seen it but according to the TV guide it contained MLB in the Ariel Nomad.
Yep, watched it on iPlayer. It had the DB11 review and car chase, the Ariel Nomad review and the reliability test in Kazakhstan. I'd say a good selection.

Yep, watched it on iPlayer. It had the DB11 review and car chase, the Ariel Nomad review and the reliability test in Kazakhstan. I'd say a good selection.

I think the DB11 segment (vs the Mercedes) was one of the best examples of new new TG working pretty well.

Back