Un-official GTPlanet BBC Topgear UK ThreadTV 

• Thread starter ExigeEvan
  • 10,125 comments
Does anyone know what's the track that Chris Harris tests the SF90 on? Usually I can notice circuits pretty quickly but this one escapes me.

First show was great! There was something in the preview I couldn't help but notice:
View attachment 963076

I know cars like these were probably snatched by the show before being scrapped (like the White Mitsubishi Evo some years ago with the British Army), but it hurts seeing a MK1 Focus RS getting clattered! :nervous:
It was an insurance write-off apparently, if it makes you feel any better:

upload_2020-10-10_21-50-40.png

Last edited:
It was an insurance write-off apparently, if it makes you feel any better:

I figured this would be the case, but thanks for the reassurance! :D

Better for them to be on TV for entertainment than being sent straight to the crusher. ;)

Last edited:
Some people already know what's on tonight's episode but I'll put a reminder anyway.

The lads buy three insurance write offs and put them through some challenges including the wall of death, and they take three iconic 200mph supercars on a trip, the Ferrari F40, Lamborghini Diablo and the Jaguar XJ220. Paddy now famously crashes the Diablo and Fred takes the Jag to 200mph.

No guest tonight again as far as I know.

People are not going to want to lend them cars anymore if they keep crashing them.

That bonnet lifting on the XJ220, the panel gap tripled. :nervous:

200 on the clock is still about 190.
200 in a speed trap, thats a true double ton.

Write off budgets are way out, come clean, dont flannel on the figures.

Was that Guy Martins wall of death too?

Still enjoying it through the moaning though.

Last edited:
Was that Guy Martins wall of death too?
I haven't watched the Top Gear episode yet but I saw Guy Martin on tv the other day & part of his wall of death was shown to be now part of the decor in his house. I think he also said the warehouse where it was built was on a site that is now a housing estate.

View attachment 963067View attachment 963066

Thought it was good as usual, did anyone notice the volvo was fixed or replaced in the multi storey car park bit....

Probably because they'd have used a different car to film some of the footage for the challenges and the driving inbetween. It's not all filmed in one go or you'd have seen the cameras on each corner in the other shots. Either that or they filmed it before the crash. The magic of television!

Last edited:
Enjoying this series so far, glad the pointless star segment has finally gone. Do have to wonder though, what exactly is the point of the outdoor "studio"?. Why are people going along just to stand and watch the prefilmed segments on a big screen with 5 minutes of the hosts talking?

Enjoying this series so far, glad the pointless star segment has finally gone. Do have to wonder though, what exactly is the point of the outdoor "studio"?. Why are people going along just to stand and watch the prefilmed segments on a big screen with 5 minutes of the hosts talking?

They have done that for basically the last 18 years, they did have the SIARPC and the News to watch though. I'm sure once restrictions are over if they do keep this format (which they apparently want to) there will be more engagement with the audience.

They have done that for basically the last 18 years, they did have the SIARPC and the News to watch though. I'm sure once restrictions are over if they do keep this format (which they apparently want to) there will be more engagement with the audience.

Yeah that's what I was getting at, in the past they did at least do a bit of stuff in the studio, had the guests and all that. Now with the restrictions, from the point of view of the audience member, why bother going? Unless there are other activities/entertainment we're not seeing. Maybe they get to drive their cars round the track in the daytime.

Yeah that's what I was getting at, in the past they did at least do a bit of stuff in the studio, had the guests and all that. Now with the restrictions, from the point of view of the audience member, why bother going? Unless there are other activities/entertainment we're not seeing. Maybe they get to drive their cars round the track in the daytime.

I think the fact that everyone brings their cars makes it kind of like a small auto gathering / motorshow where they can all have a look around and a natter. They probably are doing a few things off camera that we aren't seeing.

The wall of death stuff is properly scary. I'd take crashing the Diablo anytime over having an accident while being vertical :scared:

Their stunts just gets crazier and crazier each season. I do wonder if one day they'll attempt the "F1 cars driving upside down" stunt.

Tonight, Chris and Paddy battle to find the ultimate family car, Chris in the Audi RS6 Estate and Paddy in the Lamborghini Urus. And the lads have a rental car challenge in Cyprus

Another pretty enjoyable episode although it feels like they're slowly inching towards the contrived, badly scripted stuff of the old days. Of course every episode is actually scripted, but most of the new trio stuff has felt mostly natural and real so far, whereas this episode with them crashing the cars and the super totally real car hire guy at the end just gave feelings of the old trio and obviously set up stuff.

Hopefully just a blip, and we're still a long way from guff like The Sweeney episode .

Last edited:
I like Chris and Freddie, but Paddy can be quite irritating to watch at times. Especially in the rental car segment of the latest episode.

The weaker of the three episodes so far IMO.

The whole rental car challenge seemed pointless especially went they went on the slopes, there were some funny moments though, funniest line for me was when Freddie called Chris's yellow Picanto 'a Poundland Transformer' :lol:

The Urus' laptime is unreal. The RS6 is too softly sprung for track work I think. I'd still take it over the Lambo though.

Also I just realised we only have 5 episodes this season. I know budget is tight everywhere with the way the world is right now, but it seems like the show is getting shorter every season.

Remember Clarkson trying to drive upside down in a Renault Twingo? :lol:

Yeah I remember that. He barely stayed upside down for more than half a second :lol:

This is much more impressive IMO:

Tonight's episode then, the lads take the finest grand-tourers Britain has to offer from Bentley, Aston Martin and McLaren on a road-trip in Wales, they then have a battle against their German counterparts and one of the drivers in those cars is retired F1 driver Heinz-Harold Frentzen, could one of the other drivers be Sabine?

Also Chris Harris pays tribute to the late Sir Stirling Moss.

Its the penultimate episode tonight so it is a shorter series.

Just got around to watching it, bit meh. The main challenge film with the GT cars was OK. I know he's German but I don't think HHF Could've looked or acted any less interested in what he was doing, just there for the pay check. Took the fun out of the challenges, and obviously the balance of 3v1 didn't help, although I assume that is COVID related.

The Moss tribute was also OK but just covered the same ground most others did, that if you're a fan of F1 surely know about by now. It didn't really get personal.

In the final episode of the series tonight, Paddy creates his own electric ice cream van and the lads race around Alton Towers in three electric hatchbacks.

I haven't enjoyed this series as much as the last one, and that ice cream van thing tonight honestly sounds terrible IMO.

In the final episode of the series tonight, Paddy creates his own electric ice cream van and the lads race around Alton Towers in three electric hatchbacks.

I haven't enjoyed this series as much as the last one, and that ice cream van thing tonight honestly sounds terrible IMO.

Agreed, the 'laddish banter' was enjoyable at first but its wearing thin now, back to youtube for a motoring fix. :confused:

Edit:- I already viewed the Honda E review on u tube and the ice cream van debacle was a prime example of the BBC wasting tax payers money-where's that licence cancellation form?

Last edited:
Edit:- I already viewed the Honda E review on u tube and the ice cream van debacle was a prime example of the BBC wasting tax payers money-where's that licence cancellation form?
I think Top Gear makes the BBC a profit. It either used to be BBC Worldwide's biggest earner or close to it. I don't know if it still is.

I think Top Gear makes the BBC a profit. It either used to be BBC Worldwide's biggest earner or close to it. I don't know if it still is.

Yeah, Top gear is definitely a profit plus product orchestrated by lowest common denominator clowns.(producers).
Nothing new then though.

Last edited:
With the two presenters they brought on they seem to be trying to appeal more and more to non car people. It seems to work if my parents are anything to go by, who had previously never seen an episode of TG in their life, but now watch every week.

They like the league of their own style hijinks and banter but have zero interest in car reviews.

Back