Understanding The Deltawing

• Thread starter diptob79
  • 214 comments
911's issue is polar moment of inertia, not weight distribution, and that is mainly the issue due to the RR layout. DW's whole philosophy is more rear W/D, more rear tire, and balance the downforce to where the weight is at the back. The layout should be MORE stable than traditional design, not less.

Have to say I've just bought one and have done a few laps around Monza with it and really enjoy driving it, it feels really planted and like others have been saying you can get on the power so early compared to the LMP and similar cars.

Edit; Using a DS3, stock set up with no TC and ABS1

I'll give it another shot. I'd hate to have it sit in the garage idle til Feb.

That was one of my other problems with the DeltaWing is how Nissan has tried to steal it in marketing and most people think its theirs. Fun fact, do you know how much of that car was ever Nissan's? Nothing but the little badge they popped on the engine. The car is built by Dan Gurney's All-American Racers (AAR) on a tub from the failed Aston Martin AMR-One LMP1 car. As for the engine, it is actually a rebadged Cheverolet WTCC engine that Nissan purchased from the UK engineering group RML. Most DeltaWing fans like to contest that last one, pointing to Nissan's marketing of the Juke engine, but although it share the same layout the Juke engine isn't tested or developed for endurance racing and was not used in the car. So yeah, fun fact, none of it is actually Nissan. That's why I loved how the car was called the Nissan DeltaWing '12 and then with Don Panoz's lawsuit it came back with the name DeltaWing sponsored by Nissan at Le Mans in 2012, lol.

Cheers for that! 👍

Tried it again with a DS3 set at 2.0. Gotta be really careful about turning and really careful about accelerating with a wheel off the pavement. Turning is like pulling over an anvil 5-10 degrees at a time. Accelerate off the pavement and you will spin. Ran La Sarthe at night and it looks sweet with the light like a plane. It also needs a 6th gear. It wants to go faster but is limited by only 5 gears. I will be racing it alot.

I don't know why people would do that. It makes no sense!

Have to say I love driving it, just a shame I get kicked from every online 'just for fun' free session for using it :(

I know! People in online rooms are ridiculous. The one room I was in 2 nights ago was 505pp and didn't say the car. I picked an X-Bow Street, saw that 2 other guys were running it. Another guy in the room had the 15th Anniversary Audi Quattro. Guy gets all pissed at us for running Street X-Bows and the Quattro, yet he was apparently totally okay with the Suzuki GSX which is a concept and could be highly debated about being aloud in a street room, and t finished ahead of all of us! I can't believe they would ban from a free session though, that is absurd.

I know! People in online rooms are ridiculous. The one room I was in 2 nights ago was 505pp and didn't say the car. I picked an X-Bow Street, saw that 2 other guys were running it. Another guy in the room had the 15th Anniversary Audi Quattro. Guy gets all pissed at us for running Street X-Bows and the Quattro, yet he was apparently totally okay with the Suzuki GSX which is a concept and could be highly debated about being aloud in a street room, and t finished ahead of all of us! I can't believe they would ban from a free session though, that is absurd.

Guys are setting the PP to accomodate THEIR cars (505) Why not just make it 500? I had a guy set it at 541. Why not just 550? Because they have a car already set up for that with max power.

Tried it again with a DS3 set at 2.0. Gotta be really careful about turning and really careful about accelerating with a wheel off the pavement. Turning is like pulling over an anvil 5-10 degrees at a time. Accelerate off the pavement and you will spin.

That's most cars with alot of power though... I found that once you slowed down to the right speed you can half throttle on the corner entry and by the time you've hit the apex of most corners you can floor it and you'll just fly round bends...

I did another few laps around Spa and it really is a joy to race around a track in it, shame I get kicked from free rooms online ;_; time trials on your own gets so lonely haha

ohh and I was joining rooms with no pp limit some were even using LMP cars lol

Here's a GT6 video of the Deltawing and it is fast. I'm wondering how fast it is compared to the other LMP's in this game?

EDIT: I just clocked that guy's time at approximately 3 minutes, 28 seconds. That makes it about as fast as the Mazda 787B and the Jaguar XJR-9 Group-C cars, as well as faster then the LMP1 Peugeot 908 HDI on my leaderboard in the 2009 track in GT5.

Makes one wonder if the Deltawing is either too fast in-game or the 2013 track was made slightly shorter.
I know that in the 2012 24 Hours of Le Mans, the real Deltawing was about as fast as the LMP2 cars and much slower than the R18. I'll need to do more research.

EDIT 2: Thanks for clarifying, LancerEvo7.

Last edited:
Watch the video from the Road America Race with the DeltaWing racing. It gets squirmy for the pro drivers so not surprised its a bit of a handful to drive.

Will add in Video from Youtube.
Added

Watch the video from the Road America Race with the DeltaWing racing. It gets squirmy for the pro drivers so not surprised its a bit of a handful to drive.
Will add in Video from Youtube. Added

Thanks for the video! Definitely wil listen to the audio soonest!

What are the horsepower and weight specs for both Deltawing cars?

300HP for Nissan, and 345 HP for the Mazda. The Nissan Engine was a Juke engine that was detuned for the 300HP. The Mazda engine was a custom built that well did not have good reliability due to engine issues and electric gremlins.

There's nothing wrong with the car - you just have to follow two rules that it basically shouts at you

1) Don't lift through corners

2) Don't even think about trail braking

3) Stay far away from the rumble strips or dirt

Do that and you have a dead neutral car that is super fast
Lots of people say that some cars are undriveable including the deltawing, but really, they are not driving it properly.

Nice set up Jav. Can I ask what LSD settings you are using?
I really haven't gone that far into setups, the mid engined cars are the only ones I've tweaked because they are horible and everything else is pretty good stock.

If anyone here is going to or wants to set up a Delta race or event please add me on PSN I'm getting really really tired of being kicked out of every practice lobby I join for using it...

If anyone here is going to or wants to set up a Delta race or event please add me on PSN I'm getting really really tired of being kicked out of every practice lobby I join for using it...
I will but it wont be til sjn or mon before I race it again. Work weekend

911's issue is polar moment of inertia, not weight distribution, and that is mainly the issue due to the RR layout. DW's whole philosophy is more rear W/D, more rear tire, and balance the downforce to where the weight is at the back. The layout should be MORE stable than traditional design, not less.

But moment of inertia is related to weight distribution. The whole reason why a 911 is so unsuited to trail braking is that most of the mass is situated behind the car's rotational axis. This applies even more to the DeltaWing because the imbalance of weight between the front and rear is even more severe. In this case it doesn't matter if the weight is located at or behind the rear axle -- all a rear-engined layout does is push more of the weight rearwards, creating a more rear-biased weight distribution. For all the balance in weight distribution, tyre width and downforce, the DeltaWing is still a ginormous pendulum waiting for somebody without the right knowledge to do something stupid to it.

Where that balance and stability actually shows is through the corners and straight-line braking. In fact when people did actually brake in a straight line they found that the car tracked incredibly straight and true.

Last edited:
Back