Understanding The Deltawing

• Thread starter diptob79
  • 214 comments
You could have cars with same weight distribution but different polar moment....If you add a bunch of weight to a 911's nose, you can make it a 50:50 car, but it won't behave like a M3 at 50:50. Pendulum-ing happens when that mass is further away from the yaw axis of the vehicle, and it creates a difficulty to affect direction change(hence inertia), once it starts going its harder to stop(and harder to get it going). You can have rear bias, but with the mass centrally located close to yaw axis and the car will still change direction easily.

Starting to understand this car more. It was a peculiar novelty that looked space age (the draw). Now I see it sort of as an "Eco" vechicle. Using less of everything to be competitive with the big boys. More so I see it as a glider, having less than half the horses as a standard LMP and relying more on aerodynamics to compete. Its really still going through testing. You can tell in that video that at least on driver has it down and is confident with it. The rest are tentative, one guy drives scared. I think when its all said and done its going to be a highly competitive vehicle at tracks with a lot of room to run. At tracks with a lot of turns I think will be its weakness because of its need to glide (aero). I don't think they'll ever "truly" compensate for its twitchyness under other than ideal conditions. If you put a tire on the grass and make a small mistake I think it'll be bad for the car. With an LMP I think you'd be able to compensate more for those types of mistakes. We will see how it plays out.

Probably the hardest thing for me to remember with this car is to keep the accelerator pegged to full power when the back steps out. The instant you lift, you will spin. Pegging the throttle is the only way I've found to recover this car, which seems backward. :lol:

Yeah I've been watching some more videos of it and driving it a lot and getting a handle on the throttle once you get it... It's so rewarding to drive, you can really feel the car... The only thing I still struggle a little with and I think is it's major weakness is getting around traffic... As other lmp2 cars are so much more stable under breaking you can weave around them a lot more at breaking points were as in the Delta your always at full clench haha

Though I would love to see a single seater version!

Done over a thousand miles in mine since getting it on Wednesday night. I've adjusted the rear downforce slightly and changed the LSD a bit and it's driveable whatever track I'm on. I had a test with my brother in his 908 and after 8 laps of Silverstone I'd used an eight of a tank and he'd used a quarter. Had it on racing softs to push it to the limit and they'd only dropped down to 9/10 all around. It's worth putting time in to get a very rewarding car.

As a driver that adapts to almost every car within 5 minutes i can clearly tell that this car is broken in terms of physics, it's possible to drive it without sliding in circles however in order to do that you will have to drive slowly after every turn.

As a driver that adapts to almost every car within 5 minutes i can clearly tell that this car is broken in terms of physics, it's possible to drive it without sliding in circles however in order to do that you will have to drive slowly after every turn.

Can you explain that in English please? You need to ease on the power carefully like with any other fast car. Maybe it's just not the car for you?

I don't know what your talking about, I'm able to do lap times that are more than competitive with LMP1 cars times IRL... Car is totaly fine

An excerpt from an interview by TopGear.com about the car prior to the Road America ALMS in 2012 with one of the drivers.

"...Technique is important. You drive the car quite conservatively: brake in a straight line, turn in fast, then immediately get back on the power. It's the rear that's doing all the work here, so you need to use it. Use the traction, maximise the tyre grip. That's why the guys that race it have found that it's fast in different places to other cars. It behaves differently."

"...cars with heavier active downforce can brake later, right up to the apex, a technique called trail braking. The DeltaWing is slower into corners, but quicker out of them. And down the straights it's much faster. Cars with big wings generate more and more downforce the quicker they go, which really harms acceleration. The DeltaWing just keeps on pulling. It has a smaller frontal area and it's shape means it pushes the air out of the way more gradually.

Even with a mere 300bhp from a 1.6-litre turbo (an engine distantly related to that of the Nissan Juke), it was clocked at Le Mans at over 192mph. I've got no idea what speed I was doing down Road Atlanta's back straight as I haven't had a chance to look at the telemetry yet, but the DeltaWing was so planted and stable that big speeds are less scary here than in any other racing car I've driven. It doesn't hunt or follow cambers or dart or weave. It's remarkably vice-free..."

"...It just drives cleanly and naturally. It's actually a ridiculous amount of fun to drive, not least because of the way the acceleration never lets up as it hurls its way between corners - no appreciable turbo lag, just this intoxicating eagerness to get to the next corner as soon as possible. And when you get there, the speed washes off so easily, and then the front tracks so lightly and accurately in, it's as if it has no inertia. Which, compared to other racing cars, it doesn't. The steering's lovely, too. You know exactly where you are with it because the narrow front tyres are easy enough to turn that power steering was deemed unnecessary..."

I'm going to say the Deltawing is spot on. Someone who has one ~cough~ @LancerEvo7 ~cough~ was hammering his around Le Mans and getting realistic lap times. Also the car hits 191mph - look at the interview above - states 192. It is a different handling car with differing characteristics. That is why people are complaining about it, they don't seem to realise that they have o approach this car with a totally different driving style.

Can you explain that in English please? You need to ease on the power carefully like with any other fast car. Maybe it's just not the car for you?
Try driving the Monster Sport cars, no ease required, Deltawing has 40 more PP yet it would get destroyed by the Monster Sport cars, they never spin.

Try driving the Monster Sport cars, no ease required, Deltawing has 40 more PP yet it would get destroyed by the Monster Sport cars, they never spin.
So because the Delta requires you to drive it diffrently than a traditional car (shocking I know), it's broken and undriveable?

To set up mine, I tuned it to understeer. The exact setting however, is a secret.

But you do need to brake in a straight line as much as possible to keep the rear in check.

Also watch out, if you hit a curb hard with the front, it will rise. Do the same with the rear, and you will damn nearly tip it over. I have pics that can prove that.

To set up mine, I tuned it to understeer. The exact setting however, is a secret.

But you do need to brake in a straight line as much as possible to keep the rear in check.

Also watch out, if you hit a curb hard with the front, it will rise. Do the same with the rear, and you will damn nearly tip it over. I have pics that can prove that.
How hard did you hit the curb!? Lol

@baldgye Race speed, you can get the front to go up even at the chicane at the Nurburgring GP course.

@baldgye Race speed, you can get the front to go up even at the chicane at the Nurburgring GP course.
Ah yeah, that'd do it I guess lol... I managed to get an x1 to fly via the curbs there :P

What sort of lap times do you get from the Nerberg GP track, I'm curious about your secret tune lol

So because the Delta requires you to drive it diffrently than a traditional car (shocking I know), it's broken and undriveable?
You really should stop defending it, Le mans cars don't slide when you turn the car too much to the left or right, unless you set the car up with your own settings and it works for you, the default settings are unrealistic for a Le Mans car.

You really should stop defending it, Le mans cars don't slide when you turn the car too much to the left or right, unless you set the car up with your own settings and it works for you, the default settings are unrealistic for a Le Mans car.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the Delta wing isn't the same as most LMP cars, for starters (and again I hate to break it to you) it's a diffrent shape, so all the breaking and all the power is done from the rear, this also means all the weight is at the back...

You can't drive it or compare how it drives to a regular rectangular shaped LMP car... Because it isn't.

Before you bitch, moan and blame everything but yourself should actually read through this thread if you have any interest in driving the Delta Wing rather than just crying about how hard it is

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the Delta wing isn't the same as most LMP cars, for starters (and again I hate to break it to you) it's a diffrent shape, so all the breaking and all the power is done from the rear, this also means all the weight is at the back...

You can't drive it or compare how it drives to a regular rectangular shaped LMP car... Because it isn't.
I tried driving it in all sorts of ways, only solution was to tap the accelaration (Using DS3 at the moment) after each turn so it wouldn't do circles, if you found a different way to drive it then i would like to hear some advice, it's either a very tricky car or it's broken.

Before you bitch, moan and blame everything but yourself should actually read through this thread if you have any interest in driving the Delta Wing rather than just crying about how hard it is
Considering that it's a 740PP Car, we could run a few laps on GT6 if you want? your Deltawing against my Monster Sport car? see if the Deltawing is really on the level you're assuming it is.

I tried driving it in all sorts of ways, only solution was to tap the accelaration (Using DS3 at the moment) after each turn so it wouldn't do circles, if you found a different way to drive it then i would like to hear some advice, it's either a very tricky car or it's broken.

Considering that it's a 740PP Car, we could run a few laps on GT6 if you want? your Deltawing against my Monster Sport car? see if the Deltawing is really on the level you're assuming it is.
I'm at work at the moment so I can't but if you'd like too then sure, long as it's a GP track (only ones I know).

And if your using a DS3 (as I am) set R2 and L2 for throttle and breaks... You stand no chance otherwise.

I don't claim to be even good at GT6 or at using the DWing, indeed I still spin fairly often... But that's my fault and not the fault of the game or car, the only lap time I have off the top of my head is a 2:4.443 I did round Spa in my stock 2013 DWing (for reference) and the pole lap for the WEC race there this year was a 2:1.something

I'm at work at the moment so I can't but if you'd like too then sure, long as it's a GP track (only ones I know).

And if your using a DS3 (as I am) set R2 and L2 for throttle and breaks... You stand no chance otherwise.
I'm pretty bored so i could use some competitve races, get your mates too if you want, pressing the R2 and L2 usually damages those buttons for me so i just use the old school GT controls.

I updated my post :P and yeah I've gone through 5 DS3's with broken triggers but that's the only way to even properly drive the proper race cars, u do have TC off right? And using the face buttons lol

I updated my post :P and yeah I've gone through 5 DS3's with broken triggers but that's the only way to even properly drive the proper race cars, u do have TC off right? And using the face buttons lol
The Monster Cars are truly beasts, you should try driving those, best handling after the X1 and F1 cars (in my opinion).

I'm not sure if it's because I haven't tried it with tyre wear yet, but I haven't had a problem trail braking the Deltawing 2013, at least after a shaky start. No parts purchased although I changed the settings of the stock parts, no oil change and got 6:15 to 6:20 [edit: maybe I mean 5? I know I wasn't very slow](unsure about exact time, sorry. I doubt it's a worthwhile target anyway) at the Nordschleife, trail braking all the way, which is similar to what I ran in the R10 Stealth under the same conditions. If it's broken, it's because it's too stable.

You could have cars with same weight distribution but different polar moment....If you add a bunch of weight to a 911's nose, you can make it a 50:50 car, but it won't behave like a M3 at 50:50. Pendulum-ing happens when that mass is further away from the yaw axis of the vehicle, and it creates a difficulty to affect direction change(hence inertia), once it starts going its harder to stop(and harder to get it going). You can have rear bias, but with the mass centrally located close to yaw axis and the car will still change direction easily.

Yes, putting a bunch of weight onto the front of a 911 isn't going to make it behave exactly like an M3, but it's still going to make it corner much more stably. The cornering characteristics are still going to be considerably different.

Yes, the DeltaWing's mass is centred significantly closer to the yaw axis compared to a 911. That doesn't change the fact that about 70-80% of that mass is still at the rear, which is considerably more than even the most rear-heavy 911. It doesn't matter how long the cord of a pendulum is, a pendulum is still a pendulum, and it will behave as such.

Back