Understeer Rattle Effect (Poll-Only for Wheel Users)

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 247 comments

What do you think about the understeer rattle effect ?

• Total voters
GT Sport: Update Details (1.53)

- A [Vibration Strength] setting has been added under the [Controller] > [Vibration Function] menu. This setting is supported on peripherals compatible with the vibration function, such as the DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller, and the Thrustmaster® T-GT.
The setting only effects the transducer on the T-GT. Understeer rattle is still there.
Today for the first time tried my Thrustmaster T150 wheel with GTS and to my surprise I felt no rattle/vibration even once during understeer unlike my experience with T300RS.

The first update I'm interested in since the second physics changes. I'm gonna have to check this out for myself, as there are contradictory experiences here. It doesn't sound promising though, as PD only mention vibration & not understeer vibration.

Today for the first time tried my Thrustmaster T150 wheel with GTS and to my surprise I felt no rattle/vibration even once during understeer unlike my experience with T300RS.
Because its soo weak it cant even produce enought force to start rattle HAHAHA ;)

VBR
The first update I'm interested in since the second physics changes. I'm gonna have to check this out for myself, as there are contradictory experiences here. It doesn't sound promising though, as PD only mention vibration & not understeer vibration.
I found out why I didn't feel it. Yesterday I played with Force Feedback Max. Torque set to 5 and the motor is clipping mid-corner and can not reproduce this rattle/vibration effect. This effect is most strongly felt with Force Feedback Max. Torque set to 3. :)

GT Sport: Update Details (1.53)

- A [Vibration Strength] setting has been added under the [Controller] > [Vibration Function] menu. This setting is supported on peripherals compatible with the vibration function, such as the DUALSHOCK®4 Wireless Controller, and the Thrustmaster® T-GT.

After testing this with my Fanatec CSR FFB wheel, I can confirm that it has no effect on the understeer vibration issue. This new setting affects the DS4 & TGT only.

:(

Today I am trying out different settings.
I have reduced the FFB settings under : vibration menu to 75, this is what I noticed PC user use with other games using t300, due to over heating etc (reduce fan kicking), this should stop the clipping everyone talking about, which I felt was the car telling me i just passed the limit.

If you noticed in the thrustmaster t300 notes it talks about overheating and the effect you get etc.

I start with 1 1 in the detailed settings menu for controller.
I know I won't like 1 1 it's like driving a car with bad suspension no feedback from the car just a swaying feel.

Test car : Merc sls gr4 & sls gt11, cars I use for manufacturers & nation cup most times.
Trying out TT too see if I beat or can do the same time each lap @ Autopolis inter course.

So Vibration FFB base setting that won't change=75.

3. Not to light , I would say it would be great for long race , since you won't get tired.

10. Good response when turning.

Seems good so far but trying to see if I get more feedback from the track.
Things to think about when comparing setup:
Age.
Arm/upper body strength.
Are you trying to replicate how your cars feel(which is not a good idea, to some point).
Are you comparing others game to GT?

Does anyone know a very bumpy track beside dirt tracks?, That I can see if I am getting the best road feedback for my settings?

If anyone interested why don't we setup a practice race lobby to see how the setting feel online?

Update.

70/75 FFB reduce if not stops the clipping for me.
3/4. Feel good not to heavy on tracks like Nurburgring (one that give me problems)
10 give good response for me when turning.

That's what I feel is a good all round setting.

Last edited:
I found out why I didn't feel it. Yesterday I played with Force Feedback Max. Torque set to 5 and the motor is clipping mid-corner and can not reproduce this rattle/vibration effect.

There's an idea; if I turn the torque up to 10 it might drown out the effect. Then again I'll feel less detail all around. Will test this out soon...

👍

VBR
There's an idea; if I turn the torque up to 10 it might drown out the effect. Then again I'll feel less detail all around. Will test this out soon...
It has always been the case that setting the torque to 1 gives the strongest effect, 10 the weakest effect (if you alter the wheel's FFB strength in the opposite direction to keep the overall strength the same). The documentation covers this:
"The greater this value, the duller the response from the tires when cornering hard"

Being new to a wheel I got to experience this for the first time last night, driving the Gr.4 Nissan at Tsukuba. This is a generally understeery car on a circuit with a long, mid to high speed corner. To me, it wasn't so much the vibration itself which was weird as the time it comes in. I'm on the exit of the last corner going over the kerb on the outside, and now the game decides to tell me the car's understeering? What's the point?

@stpatty - Try it with an untuned RWD road car on road tyres, the understeer effect can be quite intolerable under those circumstances.

Being new to a wheel I got to experience this for the first time last night, driving the Gr.4 Nissan at Tsukuba. This is a generally understeery car on a circuit with a long, mid to high speed corner. To me, it wasn't so much the vibration itself which was weird as the time it comes in. I'm on the exit of the last corner going over the kerb on the outside, and now the game decides to tell me the car's understeering? What's the point?
Just gave the same car and track a try. I don't think you've experienced the understeer effect, you were feeling the rumble of the kerb shape. You have a G29? I think it has a fixed 1080 degree steering range? 900 is the highest I can set my wheel to, and even that strongly discourages you from ever reaching the point of understeer. I was having to turn it close to 180 degrees in the last corner to cause the understeer effect, you might even have to turn it more than 180 degrees with a 1080 steering range.

Just gave the same car and track a try. I don't think you've experienced the understeer effect, you were feeling the rumble of the kerb shape. You have a G29? I think it has a fixed 1080 degree steering range? 900 is the highest I can set my wheel to, and even that strongly discourages you from ever reaching the point of understeer. I was having to turn it close to 180 degrees in the last corner to cause the understeer effect, you might even have to turn it more than 180 degrees with a 1080 steering range.
No it was definitely the understeer rattle, it happened occasionally on other tight corners and wasn't like any other vibrations I've felt. Even the noise the wheel was making was different.

VBR
@stpatty - Try it with an untuned RWD road car on road tyres, the understeer effect can be quite intolerable under those circumstances.
I'll give this a try later on.

Is this god-awful effect still there? Have they removed it yet, or at least given us an option to turn it on/off?

VBR
Is this god-awful effect still there? Have they removed it yet, or at least given us an option to turn it on/off?

There is no rattle anymore - at least with fanatec and i think the "rattle" was happening with this wheel only?

There is no rattle anymore - at least with fanatec and i think the "rattle" was happening with this wheel only?

There is a vibration understeer effect that is felt on all FFB wheels, that's what I'm on about. I'm just wondering if the latest update has options to turn it off.

There hasn’t been for a long time, but he will keep bumping this thread from now until the end of time.
Originally he referred to it as oversteer rattle (I kid you not) but after I explained to him what was going on he stopped bumping that thread and now bumps this one every so often.
It’s totally inane, no idea what he’s smoking.

There hasn’t been for a long time, but he will keep bumping this thread from now until the end of time.
Originally he referred to it as oversteer rattle (I kid you not) but after I explained to him what was going on he stopped bumping that thread and now bumps this one every so often.
It’s totally inane, no idea what he’s smoking.
I had to RMA my GPU so I tried GT Sport for the first time with an FFB steering wheel yesterday. It feels quite good to be honest, but that understeer rattle is annoying coming from PC sims. Not that it rattles, but that it's like an on/off switch, comes suddenly and stops suddenly, and it's very intense. Not natural at all. Not sure if I missed any settings, I have steering sensitivity on 1 (gave the most 1:1 steering), FFB torque on 3 and sensitivity also on 3 IIRC.

Edit: On a T300 + Ferrari F1

Last edited:
I had to RMA my GPU so I tried GT Sport for the first time with an FFB steering wheel yesterday. It feels quite good to be honest, but that understeer rattle is annoying coming from PC sims. Not that it rattles, but that it's like an on/off switch, comes suddenly and stops suddenly, and it's very intense. Not natural at all. Not sure if I missed any settings, I have steering sensitivity on 1 (gave the most 1:1 steering), FFB torque on 3 and sensitivity also on 3 IIRC.

Huh, dunno on t300.
My wheel even if I understeer massively on fwd I don’t get a rattle and haven’t for a long time.
Only suggestion is gts is very big on keeping the nose down plus minimizing steering angle.
I liked 3-10 trq sens ffb setting.
With gts you kinda steer as much through the pedals as the wheel with mechanical grip type cars.
You can load up the car and wind in steering angle but there’s a limit.
Overcook the angle or throttle too much too soon you’ll overload the fronts.
On my wheel I feel it when I push too hard and am making mistakes and getting understeer but it doesn’t rattle at all and hasn’t for a looong time.
Also as you load the suspension under braking and enter the turn the limit is higher if you do it very smoothly and progressively.
I dunno maybe t300 rattles haven’t used one in over a year...

My t300rs doesn't rattle but it does vibrate on understeer. Get a FWD hatch and bump the power up and you'll definitely feel the effect.

My t300rs doesn't rattle but it does vibrate on understeer. Get a FWD hatch and bump the power up and you'll definitely feel the effect.
It could be described as quite heavy vibration as well. Not sure what's the difference between those words to be honest :D

It could be described as quite heavy vibration as well. Not sure what's the difference between those words to be honest :D
:boggled::lol: I think originally it used to be worse - like a really heavy clunky coarse vibration. It's lighter now. Still a rubbish canned effect, that doesn't really represent reality, but at least less intrusive than it was

:boggled::lol: I think originally it used to be worse - like a really heavy clunky coarse vibration. It's lighter now. Still a rubbish canned effect, that doesn't really represent reality, but at least less intrusive than it was
My experience with the t300 is the same. It's better than it was, but still very unrealistic.

Hopefully it will be sorted out in the next Gran Turismo on PS5. Assuming the t300 works with the PS5... :eek:

If you run your wheel in PC/PS3 mode the rattle effect does not exist. I did that for a year with my t300 RS. I only put it on PS4 mode for a few months before I bought the T-GT. I eventually got used to it.

The effect is not limited to the T300, I get it on my G29 & CSR. I'm still not sure if it's a deliberate effect, or an unintended bug: PD are silent on the issue...

Last edited:
I always run my t300 in PS3 mode, but it only reduces the effect, it doesn't eliminate it.
I never felt it was present but perhaps I was on a different firmware than you. (On the t300, that is)

It is definitely preset on my T-GT. I have noticed that it varies in intensity depending on how much understeer there is. I have become accustomed to it and it is actually quite helpful. I agree, however, that it can be quite off putting at first. It sure was for me

Good luck.

I am just jumping in Haven’t read all of the posts, but are you tell me that when you get behind the wheel of your real car you Can not tell if your car is losing traction because of speed, rain, snow, sand, bumps Or just bad tires . All cars have a TELL when driving also in GTS use it or not but it is a better Sim for it.

Last edited:
In GTS diff cars and different turns affect what you feel based on what’s happening to the car.
It’s worth noting that if you have troubles inducing too much understeer reduce steering angle, utilize more trail braking,
turn in is usually best with smooth steering input and breaking.
Also in many cases going to throttle too early like pre apex is problematic.
It depends though, sometimes with the shifter kart I even find inducing a bit of understeer can make things more controllable so...
Sometimes you can overslow the car and there’s an urge to get to throttle too soon like pre apex and that’s usually detrimental.

A couple a weeks ago i started to drive with my wheel, after 23 years with a controller it is honestly a big effort to get used to it.
A few things surprised me. Driving on curbs gives little to zero feedback, i can hear the sound but the wheel hardly gives feedback.
When i turn in with to much speed there is really no feedback (understeer subject of this thread)

And it is SO buggy, the settings aren't always applied, and i have to unplug and replug it to get it working with the correct settings.

But omg, the long drawn out fast corners are a joy, and those mid corner adjustments are so much cleaner...

I am using a G29(PS Edition)

A few things surprised me. Driving on curbs gives little to zero feedback, i can hear the sound but the wheel hardly gives feedback.
When i turn in with to much speed there is really no feedback (understeer subject of this thread)
What is your Force Feedback Max. Torque in-game setting?

Back