Understeer Rattle Effect (Poll-Only for Wheel Users)

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 247 comments

What do you think about the understeer rattle effect ?

• Total voters
Bulgaria
Bulgaria
Lately I have read many complaints about this understeer rattle effect from Thrustmaster and Fanatec wheel users,that's why I decided to make this thread.

Note:I do not have the game,but I thought that such a thread was needed.
Vote only if you play the game with steering wheel!

I don't necessarily have a problem with the effect itself. I get what it's trying to do and it definitely lets you know when you are understeering. My problem with it is it seems to kick on a lot of times when it shouldn't and (at least in my experience) it sounds and feels like it's doing very bad things to my wheel internally.

Edit: Should have noted I have T300rs.

Last edited:
How about another option, i like the rattle effect but want it to be stronger. I use a G29 with ffb set at 10/10 it's way too weak. Many say ffb has improved in general but i preferred it a little stronger 12/12 if it was possible

Last edited:
It might also be beneficial to ask the users who dislike the strong rattle effect what their max-torque setting is.

Personally I like the effect, but I operate with max torque on 3 so it's pretty gentle. This is the only wheel I've ever used, but I've read from many Thrustmaster users that the T300 and above have abnormally strong FFB with settings comparable to previous wheels. I've also read there are a lot of reliability issues with these wheels and keeping the setting up toward the limit might be a contributing factor in early failures. Turning it down could not only increase the lifetime of your wheel, but also alleviate the vibration effect to the point of enjoyment once again.

How about another option, i like the rattle effect but want it to be stronger. I use a G29 with ffb set at 10/10 it's way too weak. Many say ffb has improved in general but i preferred it a little stronger 12/12 if it was possible

Try the T300. I've never used a Logitech but I hear the T300 and T500 are a bit stronger, which makes sense given the differences in hardware. My T300 was barely usable to me with max torque turned all the way up.

Try the T300. I've never used a Logitech but I hear the T300 and T500 are a bit stronger, which makes sense given the differences in hardware. My T300 was barely usable to me with max torque turned all the way up.

Have been thinking of this, got a few mates that have T300, although i know 2 top 10 guys in Europe who use a G29 one thinks its ok the other is of a similar opinion as mine. Guess it's down to personal preference.

For me on the CSL Elite with strong Max Torque and Sensitivity setting in-game the understeer effect actually isn't very strong. I think weakening it slightly or making it adjustable would be a good idea though.

T-GT here, I like the effect. But it would be nice to set strength for it, or perhaps on/off, like I'm Assetto Corsa. But after driving with it for awhile, it does feel weird without it (at least in AC). I do think the implementation in GTS is a bit better than in AC, where the steering just goes light with understeer.

Overall, I think we need as many clues as we can get about what the tires are doing.

G29 user, and I never felt this rattle effect. What kind of understeer does this activate, FF understeer or otherwise? I'd like to feel this rattling effect myself...

It applies to all cars. When you've reached the limit of grip while braking/turning, the wheel feels a bit lighter with some scrubbing/vibration feel through the wheel to tell you there's no more grip. When you ease off the throttle or unwind lock, the sensation decreases. I guess it's realistic-ish. Can't speak for Logitech wheels, but I've experienced it in my T500 RS and T-GT.

It applies to all cars. When you've reached the limit of grip while braking/turning, the wheel feels a bit lighter with some scrubbing/vibration feel through the wheel to tell you there's no more grip. When you ease off the throttle or unwind lock, the sensation decreases. I guess it's realistic-ish. Can't speak for Logitech wheels, but I've experienced it in my T500 RS and T-GT.
Thanks! All I noticed is the wheel feeling lighter, but no rattle. I need to pay closer attention to the wheel :lol:

Thanks!

T-GT user here. I don't like it and would like a slider like in AC to remove it completely. It might be helpful for beginners to teach them the limit of understeer and tyre grip, but for experienced drivers we can already predict where the limit of grip is. Having the rattle effect makes it very uncomfortable to corner right on the limits of grip. The wheel is literally trying to shake itself off its base. Not to mention greatly shortening the lifespan of the FFB motors. I'm already using FFB Strength 2/3 (depending on car) and FFB Sensitivity 1, so there's not much more wiggle room there. Because of this I actually prefer driving using my old G25 as it doesn't have the rattle effect.

I have understeered 2-3 times in a real car before and the wheel goes eerily light instead of shaking/juddering. Oddly this is how it was simulated back in GT6. I have no idea why PD decided to change it 180 degrees for GTS. Apart from this singular issue, the FFB in GTS is much improved over previous GTs so it's a real shame.

I dont like this fake effect. A option to turn it off or reduce it would be great.
I'm not sure but i think i had this weird effect never filled in real life. In all cars that i was driving.

Last edited:
T300RS owner here and to be honest I rarely experience the rattle. Maybe because my worn out T300 or my driving lines.

I like it, BUT I only get to experience it on Assetto Corsa. Never felt it on Gran Turismo Sport. I use the G29 :( Anyone here with a Logitech G29 that can feel the understeer rattle on GT Sport? If so, what settings are you using?

I had a T300 RS wheel and this phenomenon was very strong and just felt weird, but then it broke and I got a T300 GT edition, which should be the same wheel but now it feels more realistic.

G29 user, and I never felt this rattle effect. What kind of understeer does this activate, FF understeer or otherwise? I'd like to feel this rattling effect myself...

It is very weak now for the G29, it was a lot stronger in the beta and a little less on the 1st release. It helped me to judge when to start lifting of the break / trail breaking. I was using weak abs at the time. Now i use default because of it's near none existence now making it hard to judge when the wheels are locking up.

It is very weak now for the G29, it was a lot stronger in the beta and a little less on the 1st release. It helped me to judge when to start lifting of the break / trail breaking. I was using weak abs at the time. Now i use default because of it's near none existence now making it hard to judge when the wheels are locking up.
That explains it

1st post here at gt planet.

I have a t300rs and IRL drive a FN2 civic type R.
The understeer feedback feels exactly the same when the roads are a little damp and I'm a little heavy with the right foot.

An option to make adjustments seems sensible and hope becomes a viable option.

I have experienced this a lot in Project Cars 2. When I'm braking and turning the wheel will suddenly go very light and it'll turn a lot. The car, however, locks up and goes straight.

I haven't had any issues with this in GTS

)I do think the implementation in GTS is a bit better than in AC, where the steering just goes light with understeer.
Personally I want it killed with fire, its utterly unrealistic and the going light in AC is exactly what should happen.

SAT vs Slip.jpg

24o1hM

Last edited:
Back