Understeer Rattle Effect (Poll-Only for Wheel Users)

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 247 comments

What do you think about the understeer rattle effect ?

• Total voters
I have to say, it feels like this when I go karting. It shakes as it looses and gains grip because the wheel is sideways. And it helped me being a little bit faster. Don’t let it shake. Turn the wheel until it starts to vibrate. That’s the limit. More than that, you’re losing speed, so you’re losing time.

Well said.

I have a 2nd hand T300rs...my first ffb wheel...and at first wondered what was happening - soon realised a few corners later that it was understeer. I love that something is able to be communicated through such mechanical means!

The slip of ABS kicking in and out feels amazing too...the pedals communicate this IRL, i was amazed that I recognised the sensation in a wheel.

4WD powersliding/drifting was quite interesting experience with my CSL Elite wheel: Normal FFB resistance at corner entry - Sudden rattle when about to loose grip - All forces off when starting to slide - Shakes again FFB back on - Automatic counter steer kicks in. With CSL in GT Sport you can't just step on throttle pedal and let the wheel do countersteering. And oddly there are corners where the rattle effect doesn't exist.

The rattle in g29 was weird, but in tgt it works very well. Its a lot more accurate and smooth, and therefore feels a lot more like wheels starting to slip. And the best part is you can take the car to the very edge of grip just by following the edge of this effect. Car will start to understeer and one can control the amount of understeer an by that the exit from the corner.

Hi Guys!!!!

Some news for FANATEC CSL ELITE with 1.19 update!!!

This was reported some minutes ago:

"The understeer rattling effect on the Fanatec® CSL Elite Racing Wheel (for PS4) has been resolved.
Lock to lock of the Fanatec® CSL Elite Racing Wheel (for PS4) is now1080°."

Please comment and confirm! :)

Hi Guys!!!!

Some news for FANATEC CSL ELITE with 1.19 update!!!

This was reported some minutes ago:

"The understeer rattling effect on the Fanatec® CSL Elite Racing Wheel (for PS4) has been resolved.
Lock to lock of the Fanatec® CSL Elite Racing Wheel (for PS4) is now1080°."

Please comment and confirm! :)

Glad to hear, but what do you mean resolved;
For me the effect it's still there, strong and annoying. Have to adjust FEI option to 10 for better results.
I didn't notice the lock to lock at 1080 degrees, I will test it tomorrow.

T300.

It’s there and it provides me useful feedback. I don’t know how realistic it is because I don’t have any real track experience.

Although just recently I’ve noticed that there’s insufficient feedback from the wheel to let me know the front end is washing out when powering out of a high speed corner. For a long time I didn’t know why the car was reacting so strange for no reason, but now I know the front end just can’t keep up. It’s much more of a visual thing though as I never noticed anything through the wheel.

I’m not a big fan of the vibration effect when you plow the front tires, I could do without it as well. The wheel should just go light like it does IRL. :)

On the Karting topic, years ago my roommate at the time and I each bought 5hp racing Karts one summer, mine did around 95km/h and his about 85km/h, we used to take them out to new subdivisions at night that were not yet lived in, but were close to it and had freshly paved roads. It was the most fun I’ve ever had in a vehicle! He’d always pull me off the line and out of slower corners, but I always caught him on the straights, we had such a blast that summer. :D

You could wear a set of tires right down to the wires in less than an hour on hot asphalt. :lol:

I tend to only get this effect, on T500RS, when I’ve over done it on the way into the corner. I like to make my tyres last so this is usually a good indication that I’m doing something wrong, so I find it quite useful.

And, as I’ve said before - If you have a T300 and don’t like this effect, you should try racing with the servo set in PS3 mode, as this reduces the effect but will stop the wheels buttons working in the PS4 OS menus.

I’m not a big fan of the vibration effect when you plow the front tires, I could do without it as well. The wheel should just go light like it does IRL. :)

On the Karting topic, years ago my roommate at the time and I each bought 5hp racing Karts one summer, mine did around 95km/h and his about 85km/h, we used to take them out to new subdivisions at night that were not yet lived in, but were close to it and had freshly paved roads. It was the most fun I’ve ever had in a vehicle! He’d always pull me off the line and out of slower corners, but I always caught him on the straights, we had such a blast that summer. :D

You could wear a set of tires right down to the wires in less than an hour on hot asphalt. :lol:

My kids raced karts with modified 5HP Briggs motors on Coyote chassis' for years. We raced the oval at Milwaukee Mile and the full course at Road America, both places they were just touching 90MPH in the draft. If they pulled out of the draft without a partner they would get freight trained by the pack. It's amazing how fast they can go with so little power, I think they were around 10HP on the dyno.

G29 user so my vote probably doesnt matter as much as some fanatec users but I would love to be able to further tailor the wheel experience since it is very subjective

My kids raced karts with modified 5HP Briggs motors on Coyote chassis' for years. We raced the oval at Milwaukee Mile and the full course at Road America, both places they were just touching 90MPH in the draft. If they pulled out of the draft without a partner they would get freight trained by the pack. It's amazing how fast they can go with so little power, I think they were around 10HP on the dyno.

Nice! Mine was an old Italian Kart frame with a Honda 5.5 that was supposedly bored out to 250cc(that’s I was told when I bought it) and had some sort of homemade pipe on it that made it sound like a 400ex with a Hindle attached lol. My frame was lime green too, I wish I had pics of it. My buddies was newer and all stock, it was the gearing that made our speeds different I’m pretty sure, I had a different rear sprocket that gave me a little more tip end. His had way nicer plastics on it though, much sportier looking. Mine was bigger bodied and was painted to look like a New York yellow cab haha. They were so low that I sheared off the seat mounting bolts a couple of times from scraping lol. Those things were so much fun man!! I definitely suggest them to anyone!! :D

T500RS users, the steering wheel does have unexpected jitter when the vehicle is understeering.
This jitter feedback will suddenly appear and disappear suddenly. It can be understood that this is to simulate the vehicle's understeer feedback.
However, its appearance and disappearance are not gradual and smooth, and this feedback is not complete enough.
If the DP cannot be improved, at least give us an option to adjust the strength of this effect or turn it off.

Not sure whether the rattle/jitter/judder described in this thread is what I experience with my T300, but I absolutely hate the effect.
In the past I've looked for a solution on the forum and the only one I have found suggests using the wheel in PS3 mode. However, even with the wheel in PS3 mode it's still horrible!

I have a G29 as well as a Fanatec CSR, & can feel it on both wheels. However, it's only really noticeable on road cars. I've only felt it on one race car, & that was after the 1.39 update. Real steering wheels do not vibrate when a car understeers, so nor should it be happening in software that claims to simulate 'real driving'.

It's the same old mentality of PD forcing things on players rather than giving them the option to choose for themselves. Every time they force something on, they alienate part of their customer base, whereas if they simply gave us the option to turn it on or off (like other games do *cough* Assetto Corsa) then they'd keep everyone happy.

Options.jpg

The effect is so badly implemented as well, that I initially thought it was caused by oversteer! Even with RSS on the fronts of some RWD road cars & keeping Sports Hard on the rear, I was still noticing the effect kicking in. That's why I didn't believe it was an understeer effect first of all. I wasn't even sure if it was supposed to be an effect either, I thought it might've been a bug. And, I'm still not 100% sure on that front...

The net result is that I don't want to drive any cars in GT Sport with my FFB wheels anymore...

:banghead: :irked: :ouch:

I'm hoping that the next update will have an option to turn this unrealistic & buggy effect off.

I'm not holding my breath though...

When your wheel works fine and you're frequently experiencing this rattling effect, you should reconsider revisiting the driving school.
For me its more like on/off effect, so the understeer can't be felt gradually. Yea, i can drive without the effect kicking in, but with high power FF cars on minus CS tyres you can't even accelerate from corner properly.
Not to mention, i still can't feel the effect in every corner no matter how badly i crank the wheel; just wont kick in which is odd, if it's supposed to simulate understeer.

P.S. Currently playing and just tested it... But, it's much better now as it's not as strong as it used to be, & tyre grip is overally better now.

Last edited:
I forgot about this. I experienced this with the AMG GT3 but not the car I usually drive, the McLaren 650GT3.

Not sure I’m feeling what many other people are because it wasn’t an aggressive effect, just a shudder as the tires push+skip over the tarmac, not unlike FFB effects in Project Cars or Assetto Corsa. I also use a G29.

My T300 is more of a vibration than a rattle sound/feel. Weird.

Maybe try tightening the belt inside a bit. It might help. Don’t over tighten it, though. Just little by little until it feels right.

It also makes me think that maybe some don’t have their wheel on a solid surface and/or bolted down.

Idk just throwing some stuff out there. Maybe it will help someone.

This effect is totally fake and the most disgusting thing at gt-s.
Neither it doesn't exist in any other racing game on this planet and in reality.
You can reduce this wheel killing violent rattle if you lower the ffb intensity on wheel menue(fanatec).
For thrustmaster wheels there is no way to reduce it, except reducing ffb strength ingame, but this reduce all ffb :(

They need to fix that! Simple option on/off. :banghead:

When your wheel works fine and you're frequently experiencing this rattling effect, you should reconsider revisiting the driving school.
Maybe you're right and I am simply a rubbish driver. However, doing the same things I do in GTS on a real track, I never get anything like the vibration my T300 gives me...

Yesterday i was driving GT6, it feels so much better without the kaz-rattle-syndrome™.
Tyres build up grip and wheel become strong and stronger till the point were you reach max grip.
If you now overturning, the tyres loose grip and the wheel looses force.
This is how it works in GT6 and every other sim & RL too.
I realy hope gran turismo 7 will bring back more love for detail and more realism.

How well can you feel understeer in the Mx5 time trial?
My wheel shakes at S corner section, but i'm not sure how much to turn the wheel to get around first & last corners smoothly without either dragging front tyres or simply not turning enough.

In the last corner i still get +-0.05s difference just by using wrong steering inputs.
Top guys use 90° or little more, but i wonder if they know exactly when the front starts pushing; so i kinda just try to mimic their lap.

Last edited:
Maybe you're right and I am simply a rubbish driver. However, doing the same things I do in GTS on a real track, I never get anything like the vibration my T300 gives me...

Haha maybe I'm rubbish for not pushing hard enough!
I also never experienced that kind of vibration on a real track. But the cars I was racing in back then had their ABS turned off.
I must say because of the lack of feeling all the forces when racing in real life compared to racing in game, it is most likely to lose grip faster in game. Therefore it could be experienced more frequently.

Back