Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
A coworker of mine has an Impreza Sport and it seems to be a decent car.
My mom has a 2013 Impreza Sport, dad has a 2014 WRX, both feel cheaply made, yet they are expensive cars. I drive a 2015 Fiesta ST which feels like higher build quality than the Subarus. Sure, that's not a very large sample size, but I wouldn't go so far as to say all Fords are crappy. Although, I have never driven a base model Focus or Fiesta.

My mom has a 2013 Impreza Sport, dad has a 2014 WRX, both feel cheaply made, yet they are expensive cars. I drive a 2015 Fiesta ST which feels like higher build quality than the Subarus. Sure, that's not a very large sample size, but I wouldn't go so far as to say all Fords are crappy. Although, I have never driven a base model Focus or Fiesta.
Subarus are infamous for having rather crappy build quality especially in the interior. It is almost like they spent so much on the AWD system and making cars like the WRX as dynamic as possible and they forgot about the car itself.

Subarus are infamous for having rather crappy build quality especially in the interior. It is almost like they spent so much on the AWD system and making cars like the WRX as dynamic as possible and they forgot about the car itself.

The only genuinely nice Subaru interior I've been in would probably be the SVX, and even then considering it's price point at the time, feels like you're enclosed in plastic bags.

My Leggy imo is alright inside.

SVX
The only genuinely nice Subaru interior I've been in would probably be the SVX, and even then considering it's price point at the time, feels like you're enclosed in plastic bags.

I dunno about it being "enclosed in plastic bags," but I found the level of comfort to be about on par with what I have.

I dunno about it being "enclosed in plastic bags," but I found the level of comfort to be about on par with what I have.

It is pretty nice, for a Japanese sports car that is. I'm talking about relative to it's price point when new; they were nigh on BMW money.

SUVs should be gathered up, destroyed, and replaced with kei cars.

Everyone should learn how to use a manual transmission.

Though I understand and respect the need for advances in safety, the rise in automated assists that have been creeping into today's cars make me unreasonably angry. If you need your car to remind you to stay in your own lane or brake for you, then you shouldn't have a damn license. Honestly, paying attention to what you're doing while driving isn't that har -- SQUIRREL!!

JDM's are boring, except for MX-5's
I don't think the Miura is the best looking Lambo of all time.
European V8 > American V8

I...um...what?

Ah, that's why.

SUVs are offensive, lumbering pig things that litter the road and need to be removed. Your average buyer has no interest in sport, and no need for utility. Those that do have far superior options. Don't get me started on SUVs fitted with 24" rims and higher.

SUVs are offensive, lumbering pig things that litter the road and need to be removed. Your average buyer has no interest in sport, and no need for utility. Those that do have far superior options. Don't get me started on SUVs fitted with 24" rims and higher.
SUVs are actually functional, you know. They're essentially sized up hatchbacks with added utility.

SUVs are actually functional, you know. They're essentially sized up hatchbacks with added utility.

So get hatchback. Whether FWD or AWD, they provide better economy, offer better performance, are cheaper, and models with 5 doors are also easier to load child seats, groceries, and pets into.

I can't take you seriously right now.

It's OK, I can't take SUVs seriously.

So get hatchback. Whether FWD or AWD, they provide better economy, offer better performance, are cheaper, and models with 5 doors are also easier to load child seats, groceries, and pets into.

No to about half of these. Most modern hatchbacks that are cheaper than an SUV are tiny. Hell, my own Mazda 3 has pitiful rear leg room and the trunk isn't much better. Performance is a so/so thing, because an Audi Q5 has a turbo in it and could easily go 160/180 MPH. Most cheap hatches I've seen are pitiful compared to an SUV (The Kia Soul is an odd duck, being awful off the line but capable of 140 MPH). You also need to consider interior volume, and Mid/Full SUVs have far more space in them than hatchback cars. There's also truck-like towing capacity, increased road clearance and better offroading ability. Not to mention better road visibility because of the elevated ride height and taller greenhouse.

No to about half of these. Most modern hatchbacks that are cheaper than an SUV are tiny. Hell, my own Mazda 3 has pitiful rear leg room and the trunk isn't much better. Performance is a so/so thing, because an Audi Q5 has a turbo in it and could easily go 160/180 MPH. Most cheap hatches I've seen are pitiful compared to an SUV (The Kia Soul is an odd duck, being awful off the line but capable of 140 MPH). You also need to consider interior volume, and Mid/Full SUVs have far more space in them than hatchback cars. There's also truck-like towing capacity, increased road clearance and better offroading ability. Not to mention better road visibility because of the elevated ride height and taller greenhouse.

While I can understand the want for an SUV, I have a hard time justifying the need when there are far better options. As an American, I should love them. Perhaps I'm overexposed. My bias also crosses over to, um... crossovers.

Last edited:
I can't take you seriously right now.

So... don't. There's no need to come into an argument guns alight as if you were critically offended to his statement. Stand back, take a chill pill, then post. It would make a nice change from the straight lynching this thread gets often.

Okay, I'll bite - why are Japanese cars (of the thousands of different models produced by the country over history) boring?

@homeforsummer managed it.

JDM's are boring, except for MX-5's
I'm sorry, but what?!

You find this thing boring?
Nissan-Skyline-GT-R-C10-01.jpg

or this?
Nissan-Fairlady-Z432-Bingo-Sports-01.jpg

or this?
Boyd-Coddington-Custom-Toyota-Celica-Supra-P-Type-17-Wheels-640x427.gif

While I can understand the want for an SUV, I have a hard time justifying the need when there are far better options. As an American, I should love them. Perhaps I'm overexposed. My bias also crosses over to, um... crossovers.
So I'll just say, maybe you shouldn't be so hard on SUVs and just say you can't justify owning one?

If you're delineating between crossovers and "real" SUVs, then yes. There usually is a better option than an SUV for typical usage. That's also why most manufacturers have stopped producing them since the buying public was scared into crossovers instead.

But the same statement rarely holds true for crossovers. There are minor benefits for some hatchbacks versus some directly equivalent crossovers, many of which would be considered irrelevant to a typical buyer; and there are minor benefits for some crossovers versus some equivalent hatchbacks, many of which are very relevant to a typical buyer.

SVX

IMG_4645.JPG

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

You, my friend, are tripping. :lol:

So I'll just say, maybe you shouldn't be so hard on SUVs and just say you can't justify owning one?

That would go against the spirit of this thread.

If you're delineating between crossovers and "real" SUVs, then yes. There usually is a better option than an SUV for typical usage. That's also why most manufacturers have stopped producing them since the buying public was scared into crossovers instead.

But the same statement rarely holds true for crossovers. There are minor benefits for some hatchbacks versus some directly equivalent crossovers, many of which would be considered irrelevant to a typical buyer; and there are minor benefits for some crossovers versus some equivalent hatchbacks, many of which are very relevant to a typical buyer.

Crossovers have gotten quite good, haven't they? Competitive pricing. Impressive mileage. Roomy. A lot less unwieldy than your typical SUV.

I was on the fence about minivans being gathered up, destroyed, and being replaced with kei cars as well, but since they're generally easier to modify for wheelchair access, I gave them a pass. I'm not a complete monster. That, and I still have a lot of affection for the Espace F1.

Back