Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
Speaking of kei cars, the whole 64hp limit thing needs a revision as they get ever heavier each generation. Then again I doubt most really are following the rule 100% when they seem to be ever faster despite the weight.

I'm sorry, but what?!

You find this thing boring?
Nissan-Skyline-GT-R-C10-01.jpg

or this?
Nissan-Fairlady-Z432-Bingo-Sports-01.jpg

or this?
Boyd-Coddington-Custom-Toyota-Celica-Supra-P-Type-17-Wheels-640x427.gif
Unpopular. Opinions.

Yes, I got that, but you didn't answer my question. Do you find the cars I listed boring and if so, can you elaborate? I'm asking simply because I'm curious and a bit shocked.
They are... well, meh. I think I've said before (in this thread) that I meant most JDMs are boring. Not every single one. I like some, like the Gen1 NSX, the R35 GT-R, or even the STI and Evo

Last edited:
Speaking of kei cars, the whole 64hp limit thing needs a revision as they get ever heavier each generation. Then again I doubt most really are following the rule 100% when they seem to be ever faster despite the weight.

It's been a while since the engines have been bumped up to 660cc from 550cc. I'd imagine they'd be about due for another bump in displacement eventually. 770cc? The US should import kei cars. I wouldn't mind puttering about in a Honda S660. Blue.

KOQi71w.jpg

"Heavier" is relative. Virtually all kei cars are still very light indeed. The S660 pictured above is only 70kg heavier than the Beat was a quarter-century ago and the current-gen Daihatsu Copen only around 20-40kg heavier than its 15-year old predecessor - yet both are turbocharged, so real-world performance will be better even if the quoted power output remains the same. From what I can tell online, the highest-selling kei car - the Suzuki Wagon R - is pretty much identical to how it was two decades ago - 750kg.

In a broader sense though I don't think the power output does need looking at. Kei cars still effectively do their job as well as they ever have - possibly better, since they're designed to be city cars and they're more economical and cleaner than ever, without being any bigger, which is surely priority number one for a city car.

The only scenario in which they might require more power is if Japanese manufacturers decided to homologate them for use outside Japan, and even then only for particular models. I suspect much of the world wouldn't get out of bed for an S660 with less than about 100bhp (make that 150bhp in the States, where people have spent quarter of a century saying the MX-5 is too slow).

SVX
The only genuinely nice Subaru interior I've been in would probably be the SVX, and even then considering it's price point at the time, feels like you're enclosed in plastic bags.

The 2017 Impreza is a massive improvement

2017-Subaru-Impreza-CarAdvice-Interior-2-1.jpg

Okay, why do you think they're boring?

Yeah, I quoted that before I saw your next comment. I kept the question as I thought it still needed.

I don't think they are quite interesting. That's just my opinion. I respect people that like JDM's though. Except for ricers...

Sometimes I feel awful for hating cars like LaFerrari, Aventador, and so on because they still are huge achievements. But they are so exploited and that's why they're "SU" for me

Sometimes I feel awful for hating cars like LaFerrari, Aventador, and so on because they still are huge achievements. But they are so exploited and that's why they're "SU" for me
Expand on the meaning of exploited?

I think the only fault with the egg lights were that Porsche used them on the cheaper Boxster as well, which 911 buyers didn't appreciate.

I think the only fault with the egg lights were that Porsche used them on the cheaper Boxster as well, which 911 buyers didn't appreciate.
Right, and I think that explains why they were so quick to change them with the face-lifted 996. Seemed people still didn't like them though.

All the better for me since I want a 911 with the Boxster headlights. The universal hatred of them shows in the extremely low prices. :sly:

I would change the word "exploited" to "used too much and treated like toys in media and by the rich, unlike older counterparts. And have extremly obnoxious fans.
When the prices of the cars are only affordable by the elites then of course they are toys to the rich. So how is this a unpopular opinion?

When the prices of the cars are only affordable by the elites then of course they are toys to the rich. So how is this a unpopular opinion?
I think he means that the buyers do nothing but flaunt them. Most exotics I hear about never turn a wheel on the road, which is just depressing.

Then older riches had far more taste to me. They didn't rice them at least.

Also it was very unusual to modify supercars before, unlike today with Mansory or Liberty Walk

Last edited:

They're going to be really upset when they find out almost everything forward of the front screen is shared with the Boxster. But what ever you do. Don't. Mention. The shared. Engine!!!!! ;)

2012_mclaren_mp4_12c-wide.jpg

The McLaren 12c is probably the most beautiful McLaren they've ever made. It looks so clean for a supercar.

Also, this portion of the 650s looks like some sort of bird rearing it's head. Also, the white jutting in to the headlight makes this specific McLaren quite an ugly one IMHO.

McLaren-650S_mp117_pic_117080_LI.jpg

Back