Unpopular Opinions- Cars in General

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 1,713 comments
Not really. although cheaper then European counterparts... they don't outperform on an European road BMW m5 or Merc AMG.
Oh for crying out loud! Have you ever seen the laptimes of any of the American cars I mentioned? Have you seen any actual reviews of the cars I mentioned?

hqdefault.jpg

EDIT: Forget the part I had here. I haven't checked the VIR laptimes fully yet to comfirm this.
EDIT 2: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/virginia-international-raceway-grand-east-course-post-01-2014
Granted, I don't know how accuracte this website is, but look. The 3 fastest laptimes in VIR are a Dodge, a Chevy, and a Ford.

And be honest... wouldn't you rather have a European car if you weren't limited by budget and running costs?
Nope. If not limited by running costs and budget; I would have a Dodge Viper GTS-R Street Version. In seriousness, I would have a lot of cars if not limited by budget and running costs. I love and respect multiple cars.

Europe also gave us the Trabant.
and the Yugo GV.

Last edited:
I only sat in a Mustang GT350, but it cant beat that Audi interior.

I hadn't realized interior quality was a deciding factor in how a car drove. The more you know, I guess.

Yes that is correct. They are cheap and dreadfull, but very reliable!

They're neither of those things these days. The Stinger's a wonderful thing to be in — though I'll admit I haven't been able to drive it yet, but every review of it has been positive. I did get to drive the latest Veloster, and found it not just an entertaining drive, but a good environment to be in. It's not Audi-levels of quality, sure — but then, if you're comparing luxury cars to mid-range hot hatches, you're (possibly intentionally) missing the point.

So, uh... how many fewer Americans have experience with racing cars versus Europeans?

I'm confused because it's still no longer 1971 so what difference does that make to anything?

I like the new mustang and challenger. People are seemingly pissed at me :lol:. I just posted in the unpopular opinion thread and this opinion is rather unpopular :lol:

You posted something dumb and are trying to have your cake and eat it too by pretending it's not yours and was merely a hypothetical one (while going to the end of the earth to defend it) and that other completely unrelated things like interior quality and amount of supercars and where race cars are built buttress the opinion that most definitely isn't yours but merely one to think about.

It's not the 1970s anymore. That level of pretension for European makes is why all of the French and Italian makes were practically chased out of the United States even when their competition was primarily Roger Smith-era GM and K-Car Chrysler. It's why Volkwagen and even Audi were months away from abandoning the US market for multiple years straight. A European badge still carries snob appeal, but globalization of the car industry in the past two decades has made any actual engineering differences in cars in multiple markets minute.

Except it's built or rather will be built for a little while longer in Warren, Michigan. I've been to the plant before.

But didn't you just say a few posts ago:

Yes, but only for the American market. It was designed in Germany and Britain.

You posted something dumb and are trying to have your cake and eat it too by pretending it's not yours and was merely a hypothetical one (while going to the end of the earth to defend it) and that other completely unrelated things like interior quality and amount of supercars and where race cars are built buttress the opinion that most definitely isn't yours but merely one to think about.

It's not the 1970s anymore. That level of pretension for European makes is why all of the French and Italian makes were practically chased out of the United States even when their competition was primarily Roger Smith-era GM and K-Car Chrysler. It's why Volkwagen and even Audi were months away from abandoning the US market for multiple years straight. A European badge still carries snob appeal, but globalization of the car industry in the past two decades has made any actual engineering differences minute.
You missed the point. It is an unpopular opinion. And no it isn't even dumb. The facts are that European carengineers always have outperformed American engineers. Even the most succesfull American racing car ever was designed in Europe.

I never ever owned an American car so obviously it cannot be my own personal opinion. I do have to defend it because I posted it and afterwards researched the facts. I didn't meant to troll or be snobby and therefore apologise. Just wanted to start a fun discussion around an "unpopular opinion".

Last edited:
Not really if it is backed by facts.

What facts? If anything, you're entire opinion is backed by facts which might have been true in the 1970's or 1980's, but not now. Yet you parrot them anyway, shouting louder to make it seem like you're right.

What facts? If anything, you're entire opinion is backed by facts which might have been true in the 1970's or 1980's, but not now. Yet you parrot them anyway, shouting louder to make it seem like you're right.

Not shouting dude... Chill... I thought It was friendly banter. I didn't realise I was pissing people off. :cheers:

I live in Europe (so obviously biased) so maybe there aren't any great American cars sold here.

"lolol american cars sux" isn't really an unpopular opinion. It's just plain stupid. Really, just take about an hour out of your weekend and visit a Ford/Chevy/FCA dealer and try out some of the cars.

"lolol american cars sux" isn't really an unpopular opinion. It's just plain stupid. Really, just take about an hour out of your weekend and visit a Ford/Chevy/FCA dealer and try out some of the cars.

? I never claimed American car sucked, but just posted an unpopular opinion that European cars handle better? I live in Europe so Ford cars here are more European then American. But I apologise to you too. It wasn't my intention to piss people off.

You say that, even though you've mentioned earlier:

Honestly. Don't express an opinion on an entire nation's range of cars if you've never owned one.

Please don't take it personal! :cheers: In hindsight I might have needed to quote Jeremy Clarkson. As I posted earlier It wasnt my personal opinion since I never drove and American built car. I just saw this thread and deliberately posted a general unpopular opinion and very unpopular it is!

What car do you drive?

Currently, a 2016 Mazda3.
My last car was a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. It would start and go in the snow when the SUVS wouldn't try and it was ridiculously comfortable for a base-trim sedan.

Nice car! Almost bought the Mazda 6. Really like how these mazda corner and handle.

? I never claimed American car sucked, but just posted an unpopular opinion that European cars handle better?

And then proceeded to back that up with such solid bits of evidence as "but their interiors are worse guys".

The recent about-face, claiming it's not your own but just one you've heard elsewhere, just comes across as back-pedalling. If that were always the case, you wouldn't have spent multiple posts defending the original statement.

And then proceeded to back that up with such solid bits of evidence as "but their interiors are worse guys".

The recent about-face, claiming it's not your own but just one you've heard elsewhere, just comes across as back-pedalling. If that were always the case, you wouldn't have spent multiple posts defending the original statement.

Of course I defended it! I am European! But I am sorry if I pissed you off. My intent was just some friendly banter between europeans and americans and expecting some examples of great (handling) American cars. Personally I like cars in general (except the first generation Ford Ka and Fiat Multipla). So all is well.

What car do you drive by the way?

Last edited:
Of course I defended it! I am European! But I am sorry if I pissed you off. My intent was just some friendly banter between europeans and americans and expecting some examples of great (handling) American cars. Personally I like cars in general (except the first generation Ford Ka and Fiat Multipla). So all is well.

What car do you drive by the way?
You maybe could have phrased it a little differently - like "Hey, I've heard that American cars have poor handling. Can someone give me an example of a good-handling American car?". A lot less likely to set off a storm but still get the desired result.

You maybe could have phrased it a little differently - like "Hey, I've heard that American cars have poor handling. Can someone give me an example of a good-handling American car?". A lot less likely to set off a storm but still get the desired result.

Yeah your right. Perhaps add some quotes. I realise I appeared like a douche unintentially:rolleyes:

So perhaps I should have written:

"Here is a much heard unpopular opinion in Europe:

"American cars generally are great in a straight line, but have poor handling in corners"

Like to hear your opinion guys!"

Last edited:
Audi and VW cut costs on mechanical quality for Interior Quality, to look better on reviews and on test drives then they really are.

Audi and VW cut costs on mechanical quality for Interior Quality, to look better on reviews and on test drives then they really are.

I even think the interiors aren't as nice as those from 10=15 years ago.
When ever i take my Audi in for a service the new cars aren't made as well, the steering and clutch have no driver engagement. Its all cost cutting. Every manufacture is guilty of it.
They could all make a car that would be more reliable and last years and years but they want things to break so that you have the items replaced or the car replaced.

They could all make a car that would be more reliable and last years and years but they want things to break so that you have the items replaced or the car replaced.
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool cynic, but that perspective is a bit too cynical for even me. Is it really malicious intent to produce cancerous flaws that require repeated attention or is it merely a matter of cutting costs on the production with reduced material and build quality?

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool cynic, but that perspective is a bit too cynical for even me. Is it really malicious intent to produce cancerous flaws that require repeated attention or is it merely a matter of cutting costs on the production with reduced material and build quality?
I don't think it's malicious intent. I think it's just the use of cheaper materials that fail quicker over time.
When I chatted to the salesman he even admitted cars 20 years ago were made better.

Well i know with most modern VW they purposely give you super thin brake rotors so that when it's time to replace the pads the rotor also has to be replaced as it's too thin to machine down. That is straight up cost cutting.

I even think the interiors aren't as nice as those from 10=15 years ago.
When ever i take my Audi in for a service the new cars aren't made as well, the steering and clutch have no driver engagement. Its all cost cutting. Every manufacture is guilty of it.
Maybe true, but it trinkles down to less expensive brands as well of course.

Maybe true, but it trinkles down to less expensive brands as well of course.

Yeah of course, as well as expensive ones.
It could be to do with the amount of tech cars have nowadays.
That is a big chunk of money and less is possibly spent elswhere to compensate

Latest Posts

Back