Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
More Nerf related unpopular opinions.

The Retaliator isn't that great.
I feel about the same for this one as I do for the Maverick. Though not "everyone" uses them, they are common in Nerf wars anytime I go and people seem to like them. I don't care too highly for it and I only know one other person that feels the same. I could make a lengthy post explaining why I think this. In short, the Retaliator is not a bad blaster, but it's not a great one either. The performance is okay, the attachments are not very useful, and I just feel like Nerf has better options out there than this.

Heck, I didn't care for it's predecessor when it was new, which was the Recon.

Last edited:
More Nerf related unpopular opinions.

The Retaliator isn't that great.
I feel about the same for this one as I do for the Maverick. Though not "everyone" uses them, they are common in Nerf wars anytime I go and people seem to like them. I don't care too highly for it and I only know one other person that feels the same. I could make lengthy post explaining why I think this. In short, the Retaliator is not a bad blaster, but it's not a great one either. The performance is okay, the attachments are not very useful, and I just feel like Nerf has better options out there than this.

Heck, I didn't care for it's predecessor when it was new, which was the Recon.
I have a Retaliator. It's much more effective as a bare-bones pistol-sized blaster. I like putting the 10-dart clips (NERF terminology WTF) in it and pretending that it's a tiny SMG.

I think the SlingFire is the coolest Nerf blaster, and the Stampede/its successor could afford to have a higher rate of fire. I could shoot a Recon, Deploy and Rampage faster than a Stampede

I have a Retaliator. It's much more effective as a bare-bones pistol-sized blaster.
True. If you have big pockets, you could probably holster it. The Retaliator certainly isn't useless, but I find it to be underwhelming both in general and compared to what Nerf has available. Like you could go out and buy a Crossbolt for the same price that already has better performance out of the box and you can easily modify it to shoot farther simply by tightening the string.

For $5 to $10 less, you could also buy the Flipfury which has better range, velocity and rate of fire than the Retaliator and it don't jam nearly as easy. I don't hate the Retaliator, but it's not my first choice for battle.
I think the SlingFire is the coolest Nerf blaster
It is pretty cool with the lever action prime and ironically I think it uses some of the Retaliator's internals. I want to upgrade mine eventually if I can.

and the Stampede/its successor could afford to have a higher rate of fire. I could shoot a Recon, Deploy and Rampage faster than a Stampede
I don't own a Stampede, but I do have a Rapidstrike. I imagine you could shoot them faster, especially with the Rampage, but it is nice that the Rapidstrike requires little effort to shoot.

Mario Kart Wii is massively dated

It's reaching 10 years old and it is astounding to think that the main reason why I got a Wii in the first place was that old.

Been replaying it after enjoying Double Dash, 7 and 8 and I still enjoy it to this day but man I feel like this one of the weaker titles (not as week as Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64, but Double Dash, DS (minus the Snake-to-win) and Super Circuit feel more refined and they came before it).

Several Issues I had with the replay were:

• Track Design of the Wii Courses, there were a few new ideas but a lot of concepts of these "new" tracks were just taken from older Mario Kart games. Luigi Circuit is just N64 and GCN Luigi Circuit combined, Moo Moo Meadows is Moo Moo Farm, DK Snowboard Cross is just DK Mountain but snowing Maple Treeway suffers the same thing but with leaves and trees, Grumble Volcano feels like they ran out of ideas and just made a random 2nd generic lava stage. Special Cup is the worst, Dry Dry Ruins is just Desert Hills and Dry Dry Desert and Moonview Highway just combined Shroom Ridge with Mushroom City
  • Retro Track choices, I feel like some of the choices were intentially bad to save the good ones for 7 and 8 but I feel like they did too much saving. Yoshi Falls, 3 Mario Circuits, 2 Bowser Castles, DK Jungle Parkway, Sherbet Land, Peach Gardens.
  • Character models are just taken from Double Dash and now look like Plastic.
  • The Battle Mode is at its worst, you are forced to play Teams and Balloon Battle is changed to a Point System instead of elimination which carried over to 7 and the Switch port of 8. I know they did it because of online but the original 8 system of combining both the Elimination and Point elements worked fine and showed a complete overhaul was unnecessary . Coin Runners is pretty good though.
  • Item system is really bad. Blue Shells rarity is enhanced from what it was on DS which I questioned WHY!? Pow Block was a cute idea but feels like a weaker Lightning Bolt, Mega Mushroom also suffered from feeling like a weaker Star and then theirs the Thundercloud :ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch:. The item system made it almost impossible for 2nd place to get to 1st since 1st still had its really OP protection from Shells without the help from some other lower placed person using an outside item to interfere.
  • Characters were horribly unbalanced, I know Online is no longer a thing but man was it all just about Daisy on the Nitrocycle and Funky Kong on the Torpedo. I feel like it was because of this game Mario Kart 7 reverted BACK to where your weight class determined your stats with vehicles giving you boosts not having vehicles their own stats which characters giving it boosts. I know other Mario Kart games aren't balanced either (look at DS with its Dry Bones + Dry Bomber simulator) but I feel like this was the breaking point of balancing issues.
Now I don't hate the game unlike Mario Kart 64, I still get my joy and nostalgia from it but it definitely lost its spark on me overtime.

Counter-Strike: Source is better than CS:GO.
Overwatch is overrated.
GTA-5 is very overrated. (Edit; When I say GTA5, I'm talking about the game as a whole, including GTA Online.)
Driver 1 is better than Driver 2.
I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate.
Fallout 3 isn't the best Fallout.
I prefer Borderlands 1 over 2 and the pre-sequel.

Last edited:
Track Design of the Wii Courses, there were a few new ideas but a lot of concepts of these "new" tracks were just taken from older Mario Kart games. Luigi Circuit is just N64 and GCN Luigi Circuit combined, Moo Moo Meadows is Moo Moo Farm, DK Snowboard Cross is just DK Mountain but snowing Maple Treeway suffers the same thing but with leaves and trees, Grumble Volcano feels like they ran out of ideas and just made a random 2nd generic lava stage. Special Cup is the worst, Dry Dry Ruins is just Desert Hills and Dry Dry Desert and Moonview Highway just combined Shroom Ridge with Mushroom City
I do think it is worth noting that you can make your own custom tracks in Mario Kart Wii pretty easily, which is something I thought would never be possible on a console game. It's good if you have ideas of your own and don't care for the tracks in game. 👍

Open world games are terrible.

The concept of open worlds in games seems really great on paper but it always leads to boring grinds and empty worlds where nothing spectacular ever happens. After spending half an hour in an open world game you've already seen everything and it turns into a chore.

The Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition, Oblivion.....their best parts were their strict story parts, the rest, a never ending bore fest.

Open world games are terrible.

The concept of open worlds in games seems really great on paper but it always leads to boring grinds and empty worlds where nothing spectacular ever happens. After spending half an hour in an open world game you've already seen everything and it turns into a chore.

The Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Skyrim, Dragon Age Inquisition, Oblivion.....their best parts were their strict story parts, the rest, a never ending bore fest.

The thing that makes me hate open world games the most are the missions where you have to travel to one part of the map, watch a cut scene than travel to a different part of the map to actually do the mission.

The only open world game I've really enjoyed is RDR just because of how fun it was to hunt in that game.

I miss so much arcade racing games with many different environment. Beach track, mountains track, city track etc...
Now everything is openworld and looks all the same

Onions taste dreadful, unless heavily pickled.

Concern Trolling is a bogus term. Someone probably coined it when they couldn't accept that another person agreed with some but not all of their viewpoints.

I never turn on random mechanical failures in F1 games that have the option, because I consider it a crippling game flaw to potentially have a good result after a long race taken from you on a dice roll.

I never turn on random mechanical failures in F1 games that have the option, because I consider it a crippling game flaw to potentially have a good result after a long race taken from you on a dice roll.
Isn't losing a good result because of bad luck a part of F1?

I dont like coffee.
People who need coffee for the morning are weak anyway.

Onions taste dreadful, unless heavily pickled.

Concern Trolling is a bogus term. Someone probably coined it when they couldn't accept that another person agreed with some but not all of their viewpoints.

Hi, have you met my friend? Names Blue Shell, crusher of Mario Kart dreams in situations that don't make much sense.

Names Blue Shell, crusher of Mario Kart dreams in situations that don't make much sense.
ARGH. I was trying to play a 100cc cup on MK7 (3DS) this morning and the blue shells started coming in every ten seconds.

ARGH. I was trying to play a 100cc cup on MK7 (3DS) this morning and the blue shells started coming in every ten seconds.
I remember last month trying to 3 Star the entire game, was going well until the Mirror Special Cup where I had to re do it 3 times because the Blue Shell came at the worst times.

Speaking of Mario Kart, unpopular opinion: The Water mechanic in MK7 and MK8 did the most changes and should've been explored more instead of ignored entirely post MK8 DLC. Did more changes than Anti-Gravity.

Mainstream rap is awful. Mainly the stuff I hear on the radio, or that I hear people blasting at max volume in their rustbucket 93 civic.
Mumble rap is also awful.
I dislike country music, even worse when literally every store in the whole of America plays it constanty, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, even on Christmas.

Also tree'd.

Mainstream rap is awful. Mainly the stuff I hear on the radio, or that I hear people blasting at max volume in their rustbucket 93 civic.
Mumble rap is also awful.
I dislike country music, even worse when literally every store in the whole of America plays it constanty, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, even on Christmas.

Also tree'd.
AGREED. All mainstream music is rubbish

AGREED. All mainstream music is rubbish
Even stuff like "Sign of the Times" by Harry Styles (about a dying mother giving birth) and "See You Again" by Wiz Kalifa and Charlie Puth?

There's some good mainstream music, but it's mostly white noise.

R5
But surely mechanical issues can lead to exciting and even more intense battles across a whole season as you don't just beat rivals consistently.
Make the AI challenging enough to beat me then rather than rely on RNG (to the credit of many such F1 games they do manage that).

even stuff like... "See You Again" by Wiz Kalifa and Charlie Puth?
Absolutely

Make the AI challenging enough to beat me then rather than rely on RNG (to the credit of many such F1 games they do manage that).
I'm not saying use it to make up for crap AI, I'm saying it can add an extra layer to the challenge across 20ish races and makes the end game more satisfying (for me anyway)

I don't like GTA San Andreas.
We can no longer be friends...

Back