Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Some of mine:
  • I like country music as long as it isn't crossover or "bro" country.
  • I like Kanye West and his music up until Yeezus. His antics are great too.
  • The Kardashians are all marketing geniuses, to take a family with zero fame and turn them into a whole brand is truly something. I still don't like them, but can respect what they did.
  • iPhones and Androids are more or less the same for probably 95% of phone users.
  • PC gaming is significantly better then console gaming.
  • People who walk or bike on a busy road are awful people and cause unneeded risk.
  • People on bikes who choose to ride on the road and don't obey all the same traffic laws as motor vehicles should be ticketed the same way.
  • I like animals just fine, but anyone who thinks a human life is greater than animals makes me question their sanity.
  • I think some crimes could be avoid if people used their head, don't go to the bad part of town all alone in the middle of the night and then not pay any attention to your surroundings.
  • Playing a guitar in a public place (typically playing some version of Wonderwall) should be punished by a punch to the side of the head. Double punches if the player is shirtless.
  • I think autism gets thrown around way too much as a diagnosis, same goes for ADD, ADHD, depression, and anxiety.
  • People who say they can do nothing about their weight are just lazy, eat better and exercise.
  • I should be allowed to punch people that ask me "what color does this look like?" when they find out I'm colorblind.

This may not be unpopular on the internet, but in the "real world" it could be:
  • Comic Sans should never be used on anything, and when people use it I instantly think less of them.

• People on bikes who choose to ride on the road and don't obey all the same traffic laws as motor vehicles should be ticketed the same way.
They are here. Also it is a legal requirement to cycle on the road here unless there is a cycle path.

I agree. We (speaking explicitly about the minority of cyclists) expect the same respect from car drivers yet flaunt all the rules.

Should I get a ticket for speeding, running a red light or riding dangerously? Yes. Absolutely.

Will I receive one? No. So I continue to act in an untouchable manor. Am I an asshole? Yeah, but I'm in the minority of riders, to be honest.

I get that bikes legally should be on the road, and I'm ok with that as long as they aren't breaking traffic laws.

The most annoying thing with bikes for me is that they hardly ever yield to has the right away and unfortunately if I hit someone on a bike, I'll more than likely be at fault. Four way stops mean come to a dead stop, then when you have the right away you are free to go if the intersection is clear. Also if you're riding a bike on a busy road with a 55mph speed limit, you better figure out how to pedal at 40mph-ish or otherwise you should get tickets for impeding traffic since the same thing would happen (at least in Michigan) if you were a car. If I ride my bike I stick to neighborhood roads or back country roads that aren't busy at all.

I also get annoyed when I'm in the city and people on bikes choose when they want to be road going vehicles and pedestrians.

Oh and if you're going to ride on the road, at least wear something bright or reflective so I can see you and give you adequate space. Riding at dusk in black clothes on a black bike with no reflectors seems like a really bad idea for everyone involved.

This may not be unpopular on the internet, but in the "real world" it could be:
  • Comic Sans should never be used on anything, and when people use it I instantly think less of them.
I don't think it's unpopular in the real world, I don't think anyone aside from people on the Internet and typographers are indifferent.

Some of mine:
  • I should be allowed to punch people that ask me "what color does this look like?" when they find out I'm colorblind.
I am badly colour blind as well. The typical question is, "so you see everything in black and white right?":lol:. And then they start in with, "What colour is this? What colour is this? What colour is this?" I'll often give them wrong answers just to mess with them. They hold up something black and I'll say white? Hold up something yellow and I'll say blue. It works great with the inebriated and otherwise impaired:sly:.

Is that really unpopular? I thought that was just general opinion.
I guess that's true. The Internet concensus is that Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas are great and that Fallout 4 is garbage compared to them. Of course that's mainly YouTube and Reddit...

- 90's Britpop is hands down the greatest music to ever exist. No genre could ever compare. Especially Oasis. Suede, Blur, Pulp, The Verve were all good bands...but Oasis is the greatest of them all.

- As an Oasis fan I can say that Wonderwall should never be covered. I mean covered differently. The only version of Wonderwall that is good is the original Oasis version. On top of that, Wonderwall is an okay single, and some of their B-Sides were much much better than Wonderwall (The Masterplan, Listen Up even). To be called the greatest Britpop song of all time is an insult to all their other great material (and all other BritPop bands).

- Grunge is not a very good genre.

- You know what thinking of Grunge made me think of Hipsters, and I hate hipsters. This is probably not an unpopular opinion.

- America is not a Democracy! We are a Republic! A republic even includes the usage of democracy! No need to call us a democratic republic either! Simply put, we are a republic in every sense!

- I hate Conservatives for being too conservative and I hate Liberals for being too liberal!

- Donald Trump would be a good president only because he has no one to sell out to. Why need corporate money when you are the epitome of corporate money?

- Liberatarianism is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

- America is not on the gold standard, contrary to popular belief. Just look at the Nixon Shock.

- The Buffalo Bills and the Buffalo Sabres are the worst sports teams to ever exist. We are 0-6 in the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup. This is not an unpopular opinion either.

I am badly colour blind as well. The typical question is, "so you see everything in black and white right?":lol:. And then they start in with, "What colour is this? What colour is this? What colour is this?" I'll often give them wrong answers just to mess with them. They hold up something black and I'll say white? Hold up something yellow and I'll say blue. It works great with the inebriated and otherwise impaired:sly:.

I have a friend that actually has full on total colorblindness (Grayscale) that also came with terrible vision. He even has special tinted glasses that allow him to see in color.

Last edited:
- The Buffalo Bills and the Buffalo Sabres are the worst sports teams to ever exist. We are 0-6 in the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup. This is not an unpopular opinion either.

Sadly, You should have a Stanley Cup title. That Brett Hull goal should not been allowed under the rules (back then) of no skates in the crease. Hulls skate was clearly in the crease. I felt bad for the Sabres that year.
Go Bruins;)

ADD/ADHD is just a massive load of tosh, invented so parents feel better about their child struggling to behave/'fit in'.
Have a friend who was diagnosed (or not) with ADHD at a young age. Apparently can't concentrate and needs meds to do so.

Only takes meds around revision time (they ruin his appetite and that could be bad due to his diabetes) and in the last few years he's learned/learning the following:

• Beatboxing
  • Unicycling
  • The harmonica
  • Drawing
Used nothing but YouTube tutorials, didn't take long to learn them either and is good at them.

Lack of concentration my ass...

* Do NOT accept your flaws and do NOT ''accept yourself'', instead work hard and relentlessly on becoming what you truly want to be.
That depends, you must accept that you have flaws in order to fix them, and you have accept where you are in order to go to where you are.

If you accept it and just leave it be then that is a problem IMO.

ADD/ADHD is just a massive load of tosh, invented so parents feel better about their child struggling to behave/'fit in'.
Follow the same logic and you'll see the same to LGBT people.
That depends, you must accept that you have flaws in order to fix them, and you have accept where you are in order to go to where you are.

If you accept it and just leave it be then that is a problem IMO.
Agreed. While you must work as much as you can, only seeing the outcome (good or bad) instead of knowing what you strive for attaining said goal is basically suicide.

Family means nothing. By default I owe them no more than I owe random other people - ie. nothing.
If you mean just the title of family alone, which I would agree with you on that, because they are related to you, it doesn't mean anything. Though if they do look after you and are comforting then I would disagree however, I wouldn't hold a banner and say that is family.

It actually annoys me when people say "this person is my brother" when they aren't even related. Family is actually very vague in terms on their relation to you, some member of your family might be the people you love while other family members are 🤬

Family means nothing. By default I owe them no more than I owe random other people - ie. nothing.

You're right in saying that it shouldn't be an automatic obedience, loyalty or emulation. I'd say it depends on how well they raised you and how much investment they put into you, whether it be financial or emotional.

Each to their own but I personally feel that I do owe it to my parents to be the mature and responsible adult they always have tried to make me to show that their time and efforts were not wasted.

I wouldn't say it doesn't exist but it does get diagnosed everywhere especially towards people who don't really actually have it.

It's like "they aren't good at school, instant ADHD", when in cases like these it could basically be that the person is just not interested in the school subjects and rather do something else.

You're right in saying that it shouldn't be an automatic obedience, loyalty or emulation. I'd say it depends on how well they raised you and how much investment they put into you, whether it be financial or emotional.

Each to their own but I personally feel that I do owe it to my parents to be the mature and responsible adult they always have tried to make me to show that their time and efforts were not wasted.
Their choice, not mine. Creating a child generates a debt of responsibility. If adulthood is reached with even exemplary parenting having taken place, no more than a zeroing of the debt has been achieved, in my opinion.

The world had become pessimistic, downright malicious, and racist in the last couple of years.
Far better than the 1900's and early 00's. Racism was cheered and people standing up against racism were hated on really badly.

Some of mine:
  • People who say they can do nothing about their weight are just lazy, eat better and exercise.
In some cases it's true. I can't exercise but that doesn't make me lazy. I don't fill my face with crap 24/7 yet I remain a fatass who can't slim down.

I have short hair and I prefer it that way. However, it's very unpopular with my husband :lol:

I don't think I really have any unpopular opinions, most of them tend to strike a chord with others but I'll have a go:

- Abortion through choice (i.e. not for medical reasons) should be illegal after 12 weeks gestation
- Some animal owners hold onto their elderly/sick pet far too long for their own selfish reasons when they should be euthanized. The option for animals is there, so it should be used as soon as it's clear there is a life limiting thing happening with probable discomfort
- I don't care about seeing an update every 2 minutes because your child has smiled/walked/fallen in a puddle for the first time
- I haven't "done" anything. I don't use my chair for short journeys so when you happen across me in it, that's me just getting on with things
- If I needed your help I'd ask. Just because I use a chair to get around rather than walking, doesn't mean I'm any less capable and therefore stopping specifically to ask if I need any help is irritating more than it is endearing

The last one seems ungrateful. I am not, I appreciate that people want to help but often it's an unwanted or unneeded advance which on the outside I have to politely decline whilst appearing grateful when inside I'd just like to be left alone! Like, sometimes my front wheels catch on a kerb when I misjudge and I'll come to an abrupt stop, sometimes tipping forwards a bit. This is exactly the same as someone who is walking tripping over an uneven piece of ground but not actually falling over, they manage to recover it and carry on. Would you immediately rush to them and ask if they're ok? No, generally not. So don't ask me!

Racism was cheered and people standing up against racism were hated on really badly.
In the early 2000s? Err... maybe in Australia, but generally overt racism has been in decline for decades now and I can't even fathom people being "hated on" for standing up to racism in a modern, western society.

Isolated pockets of racism have and always will exist sadly (it goes in waves - in my lifetime in the UK we've had waves of people suspicious of those from India and Pakistan, more recently eastern Europe, most recently probably those from predominantly Muslim countries), but it's far from being a widespread, general-public view.
I think autism gets thrown around way too much as a diagnosis, same goes for ADD, ADHD, depression, and anxiety.
That's also one of mine, along with people who say they're dyslexic when really they just have a poor grasp of language. Lots of special snowflakes about - can't be themselves at fault, there must be some ailment affecting them they can blame it on.

Or indeed, other people.

No, foreigners are not stealing your jobs, you're just too lazy to do the jobs that people from other countries are happy to do. No, the EU or the government is not responsible for all your problems in life. Plenty of people are doing just fine, perhaps see what they've done correctly and try and emulate it. No, the rich shouldn't be taxed more, they're already paying far more than you ever will and they've invariably worked harder than you ever have to earn the money they do.

Etc. Anyone whose default response to personal malady is to criticise those doing better in life than they are should probably start with introspection and work outwards from there.

Back