Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Constantly listening to Metallica or Megadeth on my way home from school. might have a slight case of road rage in me, too.

While I do have some AIC, Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam on my player to ease my mood I still find Metallica to be the best driving music.

While I do have some AIC, Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam on my player to ease my mood I still find Metallica to be the best driving music.
Grew up listening to my old man blasting ReLoad and Garage Inc hours on end, with Megadeth's Youthanasia sprinkled in for good measure.

Whiskey In The Jar, Turn The Page and It's Electric were all put on repeat earlier this week. Lotta people hated on the main albums around that time, but they always got cover songs right.

The Ronnie Rising Medley off of Hardwired shows that they still get them right, too.

Back sort of on topic, I enjoyed the albums of that time more than alot of other seem to. There's even a few tracks on St. Anger that I like.

Now there's an album for road rage! :lol:

Well, that brings me to my unpopular opinion... Metallica sucks and was made worse by Lars crying like a little 🤬 about pirating back in the Napster days. I'm not much for ABBA either....
:cheers::gtpflag:

Well, that brings me to my unpopular opinion... Metallica sucks and was made worse by Lars crying like a little 🤬 about pirating back in the Napster days.
:cheers::gtpflag:

I don’t think that’s unpopular. Although Metallica are mainstream they aren’t the best loved band because of their main genre being metal. I personally love metal and Metallica are at the pinnacle.

Lars is a dick though. That I’ll agree with.

My unpopular (perhaps) opinion is that I think the Yellow Vest movement should keep rolling throughout Europe and attempt to end open borders, restriction of free speech and political correctness. Make a big enough noise and the governments will have to listen.

Alright...

I like a few Nickelback songs. Maybe ten of them? I don't know, I have never counted. (Please stop hating them though :()

The McRib is what you should expect, fast food BBQ. It doesn't beat the real thing, but it's better than something out of a vending machine that may or may not keep a temperature below 40 degrees.

I only know one ABBA song off the top of my head and it's fantastic. So everybody should like ABBA.

Metallica sucks.

The end.

The McRib is what you should expect, fast food BBQ. It doesn't beat the real thing, but it's better than something out of a vending machine that may or may not keep a temperature below 40 degrees.

No, Dickey's is fast food BBQ, the McRib is a science experiment gone so wrong it should have its own Marvel comic.

For Metallica, I don't really listen to them. Not because I don't care for them, it just doesn't cross my mind to listen to them. I like their "Fuel" song, especially that symphony remix. :D

There are two Metallica songs I've heard that I'd seek out again, though only one that I can name at the moment ("Hero Of The Day"). I don't dislike Metallica, they're just very much outside of my wheelhouse. They did a fair job of Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" (well, John Popper did a spectacular job and Metallica were...there) and Seger's "Turn The Page", but I'd rather they hadn't covered "Whiskey In The Jar".

Agreed with Whiskey in the Jar. But I am biased as I primarily listen to Irish folk music. I dont mind metal, Pantera, System of a Down, Powerman 5000, Down, Damage Plan, Kitty. Metallica is metals Green Day. They eventually turned their genre into pop in a way.

Speaking of which, I don't really care too much for Metallica, but I genuinely love that song "Low Man's Lyric". It's different, very different, but it's a welcome change and I just love the overall tune to it. It helps steady my nerves and ultimately ease my mind if I am not feeling too well and it's quite a gem to me. Only other song I can recall listening to by them in full is "All Nightmare Long", but I didn't care much for it, "Low Man's Lyric" is the only one I really care to listen to. I'm sure I've heard more from them somewhere and I probably didn't realize it, but I cannot think of anything else.

People rave about Metallica’s early stuff but a trip down Hardwired... to Selfdestruct lane will set any doubters straight. It’s heavier than almost anything since the early 90’s. The problem is they lost most of their fans during the softer years (Load & Reload spring to mind) when they toned things done and experimented with blues and soft rock.

I personally can’t stand Green Day music and hate the comparison but looking at tracks like Unforviven, all of them, it’s easy to see how that comparison might be made.

I’m not big on their covers although Turn the Page is a brilliant cover even if it is slightly off-genre for them. Even the cover of Queen’s Stone Cold Crazy isn’t much to my liking.

When I hear songs like Seek and Destroy and For Whom the Bell Tolls I know I’m listening to genuine, from the heart (or balls) metal.

Which reminds me that I haven’t listened to the Paraniod album for a few years. There’s something to add to my to-do list today.

soft rock
:odd:

inigo.jpg

:P

Sorry, but I'm one of those who pretty much just likes older Metallica, basically through their Black Album. I don't think Load and beyond is bad or anything, but I don't actively listen to it.

I prefer Megadeth, anyway. :D

You’re confusing soft rock with cheese. If Scorpions are rock and Journey is soft rock then that song is pure cheese. :)
Fair reasoning if you base it solely on nomenclature and apply a scale, but it's not that simple. Journey are arena rock and ranged from hard rock to "soft" rock, while Scorpions are hard rock but aren't a stranger to the sympathetic ballad.

True soft rock is a derivative of pop rock that emerged in the late '60s with the singer/songwriter movement and featured acts like Air Supply, America, Bread and Orleans, as well as those who incorporated a jazz fusion element like Steely Dan and Chicago.

Fair reasoning if you base it solely on nomenclature and apply a scale, but it's not that simple. Journey are arena rock and ranged from hard rock to "soft" rock, while Scorpions are hard rock but aren't a stranger to the sympathetic ballad.

True soft rock is a derivative of pop rock that emerged in the late '60s with the singer/songwriter movement and featured acts like Air Supply, America, Bread and Orleans, as well as those who incorporated a jazz fusion element like Steely Dan and Chicago.

That’s a lot of deep thinking there. ;)

Kiddie pool version: Soft rock isn't a soft version of rock anymore than heavy metal is a heavy version of metal.

:D

In that case I will refer to all rock music from now on, from Pink Floyd to Linkin Park, as “noisy guitar music” as my wife so affectionately calls anything heavier than ABBA.

In that case I will refer to all rock music from now on, from Pink Floyd to Linkin Park, as “noisy guitar music” as my wife so affectionately calls anything heavier than ABBA.
Probably easier that way, there being just so danged many subgenres. But then you've got prog rock acts like Aardvark, Circus and Island who got by without any guitars.

:P

Isnt Pink Floyd considered acid rock?
Pink Floyd never quite got as raw as acid rock, the closest was with early tracks like "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Corporal Clegg", but being part of the psychedelic movement they were certainly a product of acid rock. Floyd is probably best described as art rock, as that covers all of the various subgenres in which they operated.

Isnt Pink Floyd considered acid rock?

Prog rock in my book, much akin to The Greatful Dead (who made some insane live recordings), but even Floyd had some mainstream “pop” sounding stuff.

Can’t fault Wish You Were Here, by far my favourite Floyd album.

The problem with trying to slap a label on Pink Floyd is that, much like The Beatles or David Bowie, the category they fit into is largely dependent on what period of time (and line-up) you're looking at. The "progressive rock" label has kind of stuck, and while they really earned it with Meddle, I hesitate to call them a prog band.

Back