Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
As for Billy Mays, I truly though he was awesome.

upload_2019-1-16_6-23-27.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-16_6-23-27.png
    upload_2019-1-16_6-23-27.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 9
I can't stand Friends.

I felt the same way about that and Bevis and Butthead. 100 million people thought it was the best thing on TV, and all I could think about was did I thankfully miss out out on the mass humor extraction? ...or did the world just come down with Dumb-Dumb Syndrome?

Probably the latter, because nobody takes an illness seriously unless it's hyphenated.

I felt the same way about that and Bevis and Butthead. 100 million people thought it was the best thing on TV, and all I could think about was did I thankfully miss out out on the mass humor extraction? ...or did the world just come down with Dumb-Dumb Syndrome?

Probably the latter, because nobody takes an illness seriously unless it's hyphenated.

The only redeeming quality Bevis and Butthead has is that it indirectly led to King of the Hill.

The only redeeming quality Bevis and Butthead has is that it indirectly led to King of the Hill.

Yeah, that and Office Space and Idiocracy. I almost can't make the connection between those three and that one...must have been the writers or just getting more refined with age.

Yeah, that and Office Space and Idiocracy. I almost can't make the connection between those three and that one...must have been the writers or just getting more refined with age.

They certainly are a different type of comedy than Bevis and Butthead (which is a good thing). King of the Hill does have a small link though as both shows feature a character based on the same person in Mike Judge's life (Tom Anderson and Hank Hill). Hank was also originally going to be the son of Tom Anderson, but Fox couldn't get the rights (and thank god for that as Cotton was a great antagonist character).

hqdefault.jpg

I don't mind being spoiled the ending of something, mainly because I end up doing it to myself anyway. I honestly have more fun finding out what happened to get to the ending versus the ending itself.

I think beards are silly and there are very few instances in which beards are acceptable. I generally classify beard wearers as one of the following: too lazy to shave, young (18-30) chaps wanting to show how mature they are by sporting proper facial hair (not bumfluff), ugly men who wish to distract women from their lack of a strong jaw line and men following the fad of beards which seem to be all the rage these days; imitating celebrities and such.

I do, however, think beards are acceptable for: Hell’s Angels, Kung fu masters, men who’s partners request a beard be grown, anyone over 65, homeless people, villains, eskimos and Chuck Norris (and a few other famous folk who use a beard as part of their iconic image).

Perhaps coming from a culture where being clean shaven was a sign of self respect and never having seen any men in my family sport anything more than a moustache or light stubble I think has influenced my opinion on this.

As a side note, I’m not stating this opinion as a man who can’t grow a proper beard. I have in the past been lazy and not shaved for a few months and I can honestly say a beard does not suit me.

TLDR: beards are overrated.

After Earth is a 🤬 great film.

I like the first 3 Transformers movie, even though I have to admit story wise they are pretty weak.

I’m an anti-theist atheist, I don’t like religions at all.

I hate whipped cream.

I'm certainly not suggesting that other points made don't apply, but I will say this of beards and laziness: a properly maintained one takes more effort than knocking down stubble as part of a morning routine.

I grow hair beyond the area I typically keep bearded, specifically lower and farther around the neck, and not only do I not want hair everywhere it comes in, but it's also asymmetrical...which is annoying. Thankfully stubble doesn't present a huge problem because the intentional bit draws the eye away from that, but that hair eventually gets a bit longer and needs to go away, which means detailing.

What's more, my wife doesn't go for the mountain man look and frankly neither do I, so I keep its length in check. Fortunately I can get a little "lazy" here because most of it grows at an even rate that isn't too fast, but at about 90 days my jowl area gets noticeably more..."lush"...and I need to even it out, which is also when I knock it down to my desired length--just long enough for a tight brush to do something but not long enough that a looser brush or comb has any effect.

And that's all without even getting into care of the hair itself and the skin underneath it, which can be a daily thing during the Summer and two to three times a week this time of year.

So if I'm truly lazy, because I do still care how I look, I'll forgo facial hair and keep the Braun plugged in by the sink next to my toothbrush.

I think beards are silly and there are very few instances in which beards are acceptable. I generally classify beard wearers as one of the following: too lazy to shave, young (18-30) chaps wanting to show how mature they are by sporting proper facial hair (not bumfluff), ugly men who wish to distract women from their lack of a strong jaw line and men following the fad of beards which seem to be all the rage these days; imitating celebrities and such.

I do, however, think beards are acceptable for: Hell’s Angels, Kung fu masters, men who’s partners request a beard be grown, anyone over 65, homeless people, villains, eskimos and Chuck Norris (and a few other famous folk who use a beard as part of their iconic image).

Perhaps coming from a culture where being clean shaven was a sign of self respect and never having seen any men in my family sport anything more than a moustache or light stubble I think has influenced my opinion on this.

As a side note, I’m not stating this opinion as a man who can’t grow a proper beard. I have in the past been lazy and not shaved for a few months and I can honestly say a beard does not suit me.

You are by far the sexeist man on gtplanet. Thank you for not growing a beard.

You are by far the sexeist man on gtplanet. Thank you for not growing a beard.

That has to be the most flattering comment I’ve had in a long time, but I suspect it could be untrue. Or sarcasm. Could just be sarcasm.
Since it's in the unpopular opinions thread, it could be considered to be a slight jab, if anything. :sly:

Since it's in the unpopular opinions thread, it could be considered to be a slight jab, if anything. :sly:

That’s all good. I’m quite happy with my appearance and there are a string of past and present pretty ladies who seemed to agree that I’m not too bad looking. ;)

Is a beard acceptable for powerlifters and strongmen?

I grow an ugly hobo beard not to get mixed up with body builders anymore. :D

Even though I’m not fat, my cheeks and my under jaw area always seemed to be a bit too puffy for my liking, even as a child. Figured it was baby fat and it would go away, but so far that’s no dice. I feel I look worse without a beard than with because of that, to be honest so with that said, I’m constantly with beard.

I do tend to let it go from time to time, but I notice that when that happens, and the inevitable trim comes in, the hair always looks a bit finer, and straighter, than if I’d just let the length grow to that point on its own.

Definitely tiring hearing people arguing about how masculine beards are and how much they hate that hipsters are ruining their masculinity.
Weird, that's not a thing that I hear anyone talk about really. In fact, no one I know even talks about their beards lol.

I'm losing hair on my head so it only seems reasonable to grow it on my face. Plus with a beard, I don't need to shave and that's a huge plus with time saved every morning (it used to take me forever to shave).

Really though, I don't care who does or doesn't grow a beard. It's rather amusing that some many people seem to think it's a sign of manliness, associated with hipsters, or whatever else.

Doesn't like beards but find a mustache, which are the work of the devil* acceptable!

* with the following exceptions, who are only ever allowed to wear one.
  • Burt Renynolds
  • Tom Selleck
  • Salvadore Daly
  • Sam O'Neill

I do, however, think beards are acceptable for: ....men who’s partners request a beard be grown

I'm OK then. I would have shaved mine off a while ago but my wife loves it too much!

I think it's a myth that growing a beard in some way saves time by not shaving. Modern beard-wearing man still has to shave their neck and other unwanted areas plus all the other grooming needs a beard requires if one doesn't want to look homeless or like you've been stranded on a desert island. I've not been clean-shaven in probably a decade, but neither have i ever had a proper full on beard. I get close if i've not had a trim in 5 or 6 days or so, but the long stubble/short beard just starts irritating my skin and the faffing required to keep it looking acceptable starts taking more time then just trimming it every 2 to 3 days.

Back