Unpopular Opinions - General Thread

• Thread starter Carbonox
  • 2,977 comments
Absolutely.

On a similar note, people round our way used to say 'plain' to mean vanilla when discussing ice cream and 'plain' to mean ready salted when discussing crisps. There are plain versions of those things available which taste very different from vanilla flavoured or from ready salted.

I think the problem is that we seem to want to have a base flavor or default option & unfortunately vanilla has become associated with this thought whilst it's taste & flavor is certainly anything but.

What I had that inspired my post was vanilla-rooibos tea. There wasn't any normal rooibos when I was shopping so I took a punt. A lovely combination as it turns out.
That sounds awesome. I have several rooibos varieties but have never seen vanilla.

How can a person not like ice cream? Unless vegan, there’s no excuse!

I loathe ice cream, it's way to sweet. I will occasionally have a bite or two of certain flavours but to sit down with a bowl of ice cream sounds absolutely vile.

I loathe ice cream, it's way to sweet. I will occasionally have a bite or two of certain flavours but to sit down with a bowl of ice cream sounds absolutely vile.

What is this madness?

Yes exactly. It's both the texture and the overwhelming sweetness for me. Truth be told I can't handle more than a few bites of most desserts...they're WAY too rich and sweet to handle anything more. But ice cream in particular I never voluntarily say yes to.

Yes exactly. It's both the texture and the overwhelming sweetness for me. Truth be told I can't handle more than a few bites of most desserts...they're WAY too rich and sweet to handle anything more. But ice cream in particular I never voluntarily say yes to.
Too sweet?! WHAT?! :crazy:

Too sweet?! WHAT?! :crazy:

I don't like overly sweet things at all. I'd much rather munch down something salty or bitter than sweet. That's why when I got to family gatherings and everyone is sitting around eating cake and pie, I'm just dumping whisky into my coffee out of my secret flask.

I don't like overly sweet things at all. I'd much rather munch down something salty or bitter than sweet.
Yeah, but Ice Cream being too sweet? I just find that odd, I always considered Ice Cream to have a great amount of sweet, but not too much.

On that second part, I'm not too fond of bitter tasting things. I'll have something salty for sure, but not bitter.

Yeah I don't think I've ever said something was too sweet.
Technically, there are things that I thought were too sweet or at least too rich. Like certain chocolates or fudge, on their own anyway. With that said, I still love fudge; I just usually have it with milk.

Jumping on the sweetness discussion, I'd concur with the thoughts on excessive sweetness, it really ruins a food for me if its too much. Whilst I like my ice cream, I have found flavours that are too sweet, using Ben and Jerry's as an example, Birthday Cake is too sickly to be enjoyed really.

Sugar on its own as a taste, is really disgusting, to the point it makes me retch and heave I dislike it that much. Hence why I can't have any in my tea, and my cereal has to be plain. Which on the subject of cereal, I have never understood the appeal of sweet chocolate based cereals like Coco Pops for example, they're so off-putting.

My taste buds generally lean to a more savoury setting I'd say, can't say I have really craved sweet stuff. Don't get me wrong I like the odd sweet item like my biscuits or deserts, but's not something I miss much when it's not there these days.

Last edited:
This is without a doubt my go-to for ice cream when I'm feeling the craving every few months.

e5b06f19-f275-4671-8808-951eb5eef4ff.ae18582dce578f6a29d886f2293ef3ac.jpeg

I think it's safe to say I like sweet. :lol:

My taste buds generally lean to a more savoury setting I'd say, can't say I have really craved sweet stuff. Don't get me I like the odd sweet item like my biscuits or deserts, but's not something I miss much when it's not there these days.

Yeah, I definitely think it's just down to the individual person. I freely admit I hit my limit pretty quickly when it comes to sweet stuff, while I have yet to find anything that's too savory.

- All hard liquor is disgusting.
- IPAs are the worst kind of beer by a country mile.

200w.gif

Some hard liquor is disgusting, and there are some pretty terrible IPA's... but this sweeping unpopular opinion, I cannot agree with!

I'm not an ice cream fan at all, maybe have it once a year, but I have tried Vegan Ice Cream and it's actually really nice.

Some hard liquor is disgusting, and there are some pretty terrible IPA's... but this sweeping unpopular opinion, I cannot agree with!

For me personally, it rings true. Hence unpopular! I've had plenty of hard liquor, quality and not-quality alike, and all of it makes me gag. Some more than others of course. And that's fine by me - I'm more than happy to let others enjoy the liquor while I stick to my wine or Irish stouts.

IPAs don't make me gag, but they sure aren't satisfying to drink. I've drank plenty of those too, and never found an exception.

Not a fan of IPAs either. I prefer brown ales, stouts, pale ales, golden ales, wheat beers, Belgian Gueuze... Basically anything that isn't an IPA or ISA. :lol: Come to think of it I don't think I like red ales either, at least the ones I've tried.

I get why hops are in beer. The hops just aren't what I look for in a beer.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: sweet food is tastier than salty foods. If I could I'd take cake and cookies over fried chicken or pizza any day.

My inner hipster is crying that people don't like IPAs. :lol:

I get it though, there are a ton that can be super bitter or just taste like rubbing alcohol. But a quality IPA hits the spot for me and it's what I primarily drink.

I don't like beer, period. I think it all tastes like crap. Yeah, I'll drink it when socializing with friends, but that's about it. I'm constantly told, "it's an acquired taste." Well, I've yet to acquire the taste. I do enjoy my whiskey and Coke's though.

I'm an ice cream fan. I also like sweet stuff, especially chocolate (not dark chocolate though, as mentioned earlier in thread).

I turn 33 a week from now for what it's worth.

I don't like beer, period. I think it all tastes like crap. Yeah, I'll drink it when socializing with friends, but that's about it. I'm constantly told, "it's an acquired taste." Well, I've yet to acquire the taste. I do enjoy my whiskey and Coke's though.

Do you like the taste of brussel sprouts? - I wonder if the chemical that makes sprouts taste overly bitter to a proportion of the population that are genetically inclined to taste them that way is also in the hops that make beer taste bitter too.

I hate sprouts and also have never particularly enjoyed the taste of beer. It's never stopped me from drinking it mind. It's like a means to an end. Innit.

As a (very) regular beer drinker, I wouldn’t say I’m overjoyed by the taste. I took me until my early 20’s before I even branched away from cider (no cider in China).

I rarely drink a beer for pleasure unless I’m particularly bored and a place has a local IPA or something unique. Otherwise I’m on the lager wagon, throwing the stuff back like it’s water.

I’ve come to manage my indifference to the taste over the years as my alcoholic inclination overrides my tastebuds. Hell, my go-to cocktail is a Long Island, and that tastes like filth. Only for the first 2 though, then they taste great.

Back