Update 1.06 Discussion

• Thread starter Vagabond
  • 433 comments
Are you seriously unaware of how much work this would require to perfect? You can't just pop map data into a game and have it render a scene. Even laser scanning a track or a car produces raw data that has to have a lot of detailing to turn into a model the texture artists can paint on, the environment guys work with in the lighting engine, and then whatever else is necessary to produce a finished model the game can use. I do expect that PD are toiling away at something like this, but this particular tool may only work well on PS4. We'll see.

In any case, a bunch of people were supposedly expecting little or nothing they could use. And then when they get a few extra goodies, they still grump that the update isn't worthwhile. People are strange... :irked:

I like it, but may not be able to enjoy it till the weekend.
Why should he care? He didn't ask for the feature. He bought a game in which PD promised to implement said feature, among others. How many Egyptian slaves PD must now acquire to get the job done is irrelevant and should be of no concern to the end user. This is what happens when a sub-par game development team continues to bite off more than they can chew.

Why should he care? He didn't ask for the feature. He bought a game in which PD promised to implement said feature, among others. How many Egyptian slaves PD must now acquire to get the job done is irrelevant and should be of no concern to the end user. This is what happens when a sub-par game development team continues to bite off more than they can chew.
"Sub-par"? Nothing like this has ever been attempted before in the history of racing games. PD are the only ones with the imagination and balls to do it. Point me to another game developer who's even tried anything like this and I'll flip my avatar upside down for a day.

I genuinely wonder what the complaining will be about when the course maker comes out...Because they're be complaining, no doubt. I'm betting...how long it takes will come up the most followed but "great, now where is (other feature)? I don't know what else though...

Anyways, I'm hoping that this is a sign of more regular updates so hopefully we should have the rest of the promised features in a few months.

I doubt it because it's not just frozen as it might be with a bug, the graphic has changed too and I doubt a bug would change the graphic. I hope you're right though.

Sort of, but it made the whole system work. Now without being able to use the engine limiter it's a crapshoot. If you happen to have a car at or close to the PP limit you have a shot at a good competitive race. If you happen to be 5-10 PP back, forget it, you have no chance unless it's a really, really weak group.

I really like the sound of that actually. I never liked the "505pp room so I'll take this 750pp car and detune" rooms.

As a GT5 organizer, I hated the engine limiter. Everyone would just stack on all the engine mods, then detune with the limiter but would retain a good portion of the torque. Some people got caught, most didn't.

If you're that good of a racer were a difference of 5-10PP makes or breaks your race, well, you're better than 99% of the people I've raced.

This makes a "manual shuffle race" doable now. Example; winner picks a PP, host changes and you pick the best car at that PP out of your garage. Just like GT5 shuffle, some people were crippled with inferior cars, others not as much.

I really like the sound of that actually. I never liked the "505pp room so I'll take this 750pp car and detune" rooms.

As a GT5 organizer, I hated the engine limiter. Everyone would just stack on all the engine mods, then detune with the limiter but would retain a good portion of the torque. Some people got caught, most didn't.

If you're that good of a racer were a difference of 5-10PP makes or breaks your race, well, you're better than 99% of the people I've raced.

This makes a "manual shuffle race" doable now. Example; winner picks a PP, host changes and you pick the best car at that PP out of your garage. Just like GT5 shuffle, some people were crippled with inferior cars, others not as much.
A. You can't detune from 750PP to 500PP and if you did, your car would be so underpowered you could not compete.

B. At 500PP, losing 10PP is roughly 20 hp. Take any car and drop 20 hp then race a skilled driver with that extra 20 hp and see if you can keep up.

C. What you call manual shuffle isn't shuffle racing at all. Shuffle racing in GT5 puts faster drivers in slower cars and vice versa. Not being able to use the engine limiter means whoever has the biggest garage and the widest variety of untuned cars has the biggest advantage and drivers that have small garages with less cars are at a significant disadvantage. In other words, advantage to the frequent players, disadvantage to the more casual players, the opposite of shuffle racing in GT5.

A. You can't detune from 750PP to 500PP and if you did, your car would be so underpowered you could not compete.
An exaggeration, I'll try to be more literal.

B. At 500PP, losing 10PP is roughly 20 hp. Take any car and drop 20 hp then race a skilled driver with that extra 20 hp and see if you can keep up.
:lol: I guess there's nothing left to do to quantify that. You are the 1%.

C. What you call manual shuffle isn't shuffle racing at all. Shuffle racing in GT5 puts faster drivers in slower cars and vice versa. Not being able to use the engine limiter means whoever has the biggest garage and the widest variety of untuned cars has the biggest advantage and drivers that have small garages with less cars are at a significant disadvantage. In other words, advantage to the frequent players, disadvantage to the more casual players, the opposite of shuffle racing in GT5.
Not that, I did not know.

I've noticed two things with the new update. #1 All of my cars gained a PP point. It's not noticeable in the garage until you get in the car but, when you do, you'll find an extra point has been added. I think they changed a variable in the PP calculation. #2 The first car that you have in slot one with the data logger has the front wheel speed off by 20-30 mph in relIation to your rear tires or to the other sample car your testing against.
I ended last night in my datsun 240z, and started tonight, after the update, in the same car.

The first thing I did after the update was go and check out the new wing thing. I didn't buy a new wing, the car has never had any wing.

Then when I opened my room at 425pp, that car was over powered at 426pp. It was not just one click over, but several.

All of the other cars I used tonight were not changed, they were still at 425pp.

I have not tried to recreate the situation, but I suspect that trying on all the new wings somehow affected the car's pp.

"Sub-par"? Nothing like this has ever been attempted before in the history of racing games. PD are the only ones with the imagination and balls to do it. Point me to another game developer who's even tried anything like this and I'll flip my avatar upside down for a day.
And what exactly has PD done? Unless you're from the future where PD has already implemented the GPS/Track editor feature. If so, then I don't even care about GT, just let me have the lottery numbers.

Reading back over this thread, I see other have seen the effect of lack of memory causing video issues.
I'm more sure than ever that adding more features cause very bad results for game play. Especially on-line rooms.
The developers just cant add many features without extensive research. And I fear that some features cant be added at all on the PS3 platform. And that may be why we will not see any new tracks. The game/platform just can not process the data. This may be what PD does not want to tell gamers.
Nope sorry, that won't wash. PS3 hasn't changed since they started working on it 9 years ago, if they totally failed to understand what they could do with it for GT6 and need "extensive research" to add promised features then they really are awful developers.

It is a big problem for racing series though where you run carefully balanced specs.

Why there are three separate threads for one update? It would be more logical to turn "Update 1.6 Coming thread" into discussion after update comes with link on the first post after update on the first page just before documented and undocumented changes.

I'd die of a heart attack if PD actually gave me an update that was a bit exiting like for instance, Fuel usage and tyre wear X2 X3 and X4 in single player mode etc.
I'm not even bothered about new tracks or cars as all GT6 needs is more options to set up races with the AI.

All the effort they put into the Sports Drive Logger, which nearly all of us will never have any use for.
I haven't played for months now as it's all too boring.

Last edited:
I think that the cafe room type is for the people who created rooms called "drag/drift/chill/smoke" or "coffee with herb 420" as the title as everyone in them are probably stoned.

I also think think that with the new custom wings feature, I think Murder Midget is getting an upgrade. Battering Ram however is just right.
(Battering Ram scares the **** out of me.)

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced their game data being corrupted as a result of applying this update?

I just updated, and now I cannot even load a simple track without the game freezing.

So far I have deleted the game data, and currently reinstalling every thing that has been released since the initial.

The hatred towards this game that gets posted on this site is madness. Do you think PD don't listen to you guys anymore is because they are sick to death about being flamed daily? No constructive feedback is posted, just hate.

On topic. 1.06 is obviously targeted to the online rooms, which is where all the action is these days. So it is a useful update in that regards.

The power limiter lock out is very buggy but once they get that sorted it will be very useful. It's only a matter of time before that is implemented into seasonals.
The bug with the limiter is if the host changes to restrictions to "tuning prohibited" when the session is already in place the players cannot enter the room with any car until the host changes track.

Anonther Joke update.

next they will be adding Neon Lights and Flying Dragons, this is how far off course PD are with this game.

were is the course creator and all the other things that have been advertised for this game etc etc

Bored! nuff siad!

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Building to class, step tuning son. No need for the power limiter. Build to get as close to power and pp of the class.

I have sussed out the thinking behind the patch.

Extracts from office conversations

Hey guys were behind with the promised content & we still have loads of glitches to sort out whos doing what?
Well Toyota says we can have some free cars if we help them with a sports drive recorder thingy.
Awesome but we could do with a data logger so the guys at the office can compare laps.
Great idea lets make it usable from the time trial interface.
No no we dont need to do that just needs to be usable from replays were driving a real car & importing data not playing the game.
Just a thought here but if we are going to be using these cars on race tracks we could do with tuning them a bit, I have been looking at putting a wing on it but am not sure what looks best, what do you reckon.
Not sure but you know I could adapt the game so we can have a look, that would be way more fun than trying to fix these bugs which is so boring.
Neat do it.
Hey guys anybody actually working on something to improve the game experience?
Err we could remove auto traction control off track that should be quick n easy
Great put together any other quick fix you can come up with then we will head off to the track & take these cars for a spin.

Back