Update 1.06 Undocumented Changes Thread (documented changes also listed in OP)

Unfortunately, the SIM racers of a Driving Simulator prefer a better frame-rate performance. Not to put them down, but isn't this Game mostly played by casuals or people who don't care for competition?

It has nothing to do with the hardcore players. A decent frame rate is expected in all games by most people. Not all people are equally sensitive to frame drops, low frame rates, screen tearing or stuttering, but it is both an eyesore and distracting to anyone if any of the above are bad enough.

There should never be an excuse for bad performance on fixed hardware, it doesn't matter who the game is supposed to appeal to.

Different physics doesn't necessarily mean different lap times. I'm getting the same basic lap times but I have an easier time entering and exiting the turns and keeping the pointy end forward. All I know is I can drive my Ferrari's much more consistently and confidently since 1.06, but not necessarily faster. Still a positive in my book. 👍

Maybe 1.06 brought some change in your Ferrari and other cars. My R8 Team Phoenix did not suffer any change in its behavior, same lap times, same curve of gain and decrease of speed during the same stint, same tire wear... R8 Team Phoenix is still the same. I'm 100% confident about that.

Frame rate effects input. When the frame rate drops you are seeing less information about everything. In small ways it effects your reaction time, judging distances and braking points just to name a few. For me the game is stable enough that I feel things are fine. I play with the sharpen mode enabled otherwise I notice issues with tearing and frame drop too often.

If PD only allowed you to remove the mirror on bumper cam it would be almost perfect. The mirror is costing enough frames that I can tell the difference switching between bumper and roof cam since the latter has no mirror. I can't stand roof cam with a steering wheel since it makes it feel like you are driving a semi from being up so high.

It has nothing to do with the hardcore players. A decent frame rate is expected in all games by most people. Not all people are equally sensitive to frame drops, low frame rates, screen tearing or stuttering, but it is both an eyesore and distracting to anyone if any of the above are bad enough.

There should never be an excuse for bad performance on fixed hardware, it doesn't matter who the game is supposed to appeal to.
I wasn't blaming them. I'm saying it's good for them, mehh for me, and who knows what the greater majority thinks of the pixelated graphics, while likely not noticing a steady(er) frame-rate. Jump on me for that one little quip? COME OONNNN.

Edit -
Oh yeah. My problem with it is that we have GT5's smoke graphics now. In case you missed that. Or should I be for something that somewhat upsets me, but benefits the great Minority of hardcore players (in comparison to the world of GT6 players).

Frame rate effects input. When the frame rate drops you are seeing less information about everything. In small ways it effects your reaction time, judging distances and braking points just to name a few. For me the game is stable enough that I feel things are fine. I play with the sharpen mode enabled otherwise I notice issues with tearing and frame drop too often.

If PD only allowed you to remove the mirror on bumper cam it would be almost perfect. The mirror is costing enough frames that I can tell the difference switching between bumper and roof cam since the latter has no mirror. I can't stand roof cam with a steering wheel since it makes it feel like you are driving a semi from being up so high.
👍 Definitely don't disagree with that.

The rear-view mirror is a very good point too (AND I don't even use bumper cam).

@Johnnypenso
  • Translated from the Japanese website and not on the English website - We have added the [GT Academy 2014 ] to [SPECIAL EVENTS] area . It will be available online from April 21, 2014. We are looking forward to your participation.[EDIT: Now removed from website:lol:]
hehe he heeeee smh Did you really have to do the :lol: at that? That needs to be fixed, man. The part about it being removed.

https://www.gtplanet.net/2014-gt-academy-announced-starts-april-21st/

Last edited:
I wasn't blaming them. I'm saying it's good for them, mehh for me, and who knows what the greater majority thinks of the pixelated graphics, while likely not noticing a steady(er) frame-rate. Jump on me for that one little quip? COME OONNNN

I wasn't "jumping" on you at all. Maybe that's how you read it but that wasn't my intention if it came across that way.

However, reading back through your post again, it very much does sound like you are blaming the more hardcore audience for these changes. Regardless, alteration to the game to increase the frame rate should never be blamed on the customer, it should be a standard practise of releasing a decent, high quality product. No one would buy a car that has "kangaroo fuel", so I don't know why some people are willing to let their virtual experience be the same, when after all it's supposed to take us to an enhanced version of our own reality. That's what video games were made for after all.

I can't think of many industries where fingers are pointed at the customers when a multi million dollar company makes poor decisions and a sub par product. Like you said though, who knows what the greater majority think of the pixelation, many people won't even notice or care. There are a lot of people who can't even notice the benefit of Anti-Aliasing or when a game is running without it, but yet notice that a game looks/feels smoother without being able to pin point why (due to the better frame rate).

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the lights on standard cars? In an online lobby, I swore the Ruf behind me was flashing its lights. Might be my imagination though.

I wasn't "jumping" on you at all. Maybe that's how you read it but that wasn't my intention if it came across that way.

However, reading back through your post again, it very much does sound like you are blaming the more hardcore audience for these changes. Regardless, alteration to the game to increase the frame rate should never be blamed on the customer, it should be a standard practise of releasing a decent, high quality product.

I can't think of many industries where fingers are pointed at the customers when a multi million dollar company makes poor decisions and a sub par product.
Yeah, it was the wrong choice of words. But you still don't understand where I was, or am, coming from. Sure, I went on a little rant, but not to attack a specific group of people. It was to basically to show that PD are paying attention (to the hardcore gamer), but they can't meet the needs of everybody as is what happened with this graphical sacrifice and performance fix. I was just being a bit of a jackhole, fyi. Still, I stand by what I said and have said. I know where you're coming from, but with Brandonw778787 quoting my post with a, "What's this guy even saying," kind of vibe/attitude, I took both of your posts and took it as "jumping on me." My mistake with that one.

Has anyone tried the lights on standard cars? In an online lobby, I swore the Ruf behind me was flashing its lights. Might be my imagination though.
You were high. It's okay, we're here for you. :D

Why can't PD just give use the option as to whether or not we want high detail-high ram smoke or low detail-low ram smoke.

PD is really bad at this options thing that most games have a nowadays

Sure, I went on a little rant, but not to attack a specific group of people. It was to basically to show that PD are paying attention (to the hardcore gamer), but they can't meet the needs of everybody as is what happened with this graphical sacrifice and performance fix.

No worries about the jumping thing, we're all just having a discussion.

It was the bolded part I was disagreeing though. PD have made many, many changes to their franchise over the years to accomodate a more casual audience. I think a stable frame rate is what should be expected no matter who the player is or who the game is targeting. In my belief, and I know a lot of other people feel the same, there are a lot of things that can break a game's immersion, it's alternative reality that it's wrapped us in, and at the top of the list for me is a bad frame rate. That's above flickering, bad AA, dumb AI, low resolutions, weird physics or profound glitches. Obviously that's excluding error's that cause system crashes.

I don't think GT6's frame rate is unplayable, but vast sectors (Bathurst etc) of it are certainly unenjoyable, they really remind you that it is just a game. The same applies to every game I've ever played, our eyes do not experience slow down, stutter or tearing, we receive a constant stream of information.

Edit: Damn, getting carried away, this should probably be in a different thread. Sorry all.

No worries about the jumping thing, we're all just having a discussion.

It was the bolded part I was disagreeing though. PD have made many, many changes to their franchise over the years to accomodate a more casual audience. I think a stable frame rate is what should be expected no matter who the player is or who the game is targeting. In my belief, and I know a lot of other people feel the same, there are a lot of things that can break a game's immersion, it's alternative reality that it's wrapped us in, and at the top of the list for me is a bad frame rate. That's above flickering, bad AA, dumb AI, low resolutions, weird physics or profound glitches. Obviously that's excluding error's that cause system crashes.

I don't think GT6's frame rate is unplayable, but vast sectors (Bathurst etc) of it are certainly unenjoyable, they really remind you that it is just a game. The same applies to every game I've ever played, our eyes do not experience slow down, stutter or tearing, we receive a constant stream of information.

Edit: Damn, getting carried away, this should probably be in a different thread. Sorry all.
There's no hard reason why this thread can't get off subject after the update's been out for a week. There is the other thread for discussion about the update, but I was simply trying to clear what I said before. Let's still remind ourselves that the frame-rate of GT games in the past (and other such consistencies) were fine enough. It's only with the PS3 that PD/Kaz got carried away to keep their name as one of the best, if not the best. AI has always been a problem, but the other "high-grade" contents and performances, like the performance of the gameplay, has been up to par. We'll see if they overdo it with the PS4. I knew they'd do it with GT6 on the PS3 (yet I didn't expect the lack of content, including paid DLC to be one of the problems [like not selling Seattle Circuit before these past four months when there hasn't been any paid DLC]).

It's just unfortunate that we and they have had to have gone through this when the PS4 has as much potential as it has and the PS3 was a catastrophic piece of hardware to work with, even in terms of working with the PS2. I'm only hopeful that they have a handhold on the PS4 seeing as how much praise it's been given over the PS3 that doesn't include graphics, resolution and frame-rate "dilemmas". It'll just be too bad if the PS4 version of GT doesn't outdo GT6 when it comes to EVERYTHING.

END OF.... this discussion? It doesn't matter to me. I don't see the problem if we're not arguing with flame wars and other such bull.

Last edited:
It has been said before.. The PS3 generation of GPUs did not take well to a 1440x1080 frame buffer for any kind of complex 3d as the raw bandwidth is just not there. Shooting for that resolution and a solid frame rate isnt happening when you have a big hungry physics engine sucking up ram and cpu.

That said, 1280x720 with better AA could have left room an overall better presentation. Yes, you can run the game in 720p however since they didnt design it at a 720p target you do not get what Forza was able to be at 720p from a visual standpoint. GT6 looks better at it's native resolution of 1440x1080 but if it is between GT6 and Forza at 720p Forza wins. Goes to show if Gt6 had a 720P target all of the game assets could have been designed with that in mind. Fatter fence posts and materials to reduce flickering Etc..

Before the update, when you painted the BM, the entire car was painted, including the aero parts, which are Black on the pre-colored version. Now in 1.06, the car doesn't paint the aero parts and they remain black.
Stuff like this makes me think that the simplified painting feature Kaz hinted at for a PS3 GT game some time ago would include painting individual body parts different colours (and perhaps very little else).

It's clearly possible to do that quite simply, it's perhaps a case of catching some of the ugly things that might happen on a per car basis (like the recent custom wings). Personally, I like those freakish occurrences in games (reminds me of the good old days) and it would save PD a fair bit of time just to let them slip, too.

But it's just not good enough when some little oik is going to be comparing screenshots with another game, is it?

GT POLARIZED 005-P paint chip has changed..
if you have any car painted with it before 1.06 , compare it to a new one you'll see the difference its not subtle

to be honest, i don't need affirmation from gtp community or this thread to know that something has changed re: where i do 99.5% of my racing [the ring, online]. i still can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but something is different. i lap quicker, i take corners faster and the cars are easier to recover in the event of a spin.

i don't know (or care) about other tracks, because to me, gt6 is the green hell simulator. since the people who say no change race on other tracks, i suspect the change is not in the physics engine but the track(s) itself.

keep an open mind about things people -- instead of immediately yelling 'placebo'.

The Green Hell simulator.........I like it.

I was lucky enough to do 6 laps of the ring in a BMW z4 back in 2012, (thats me standing next to it in my little photo to the left lol) and of all the racing games/simulators I have played, GT has the most realistic and accurate representation of the ring IMO. The only thing I noticed was the steepness in real life, but you cant really expect a game to accurately grab the extent of massive elevation change.

Stock Audi R8 LMS Phoenix ? Don't think so, the low speed front grip bias is still there. My 1.04 tune still drive the same, I made a new 1.06 version which is better, but the car is still the same like it was in previous version.

The Green Hell simulator.........I like it.

I was lucky enough to do 6 laps of the ring in a BMW z4 back in 2012, (thats me standing next to it in my little photo to the left lol) and of all the racing games/simulators I have played, GT has the most realistic and accurate representation of the ring IMO. The only thing I noticed was the steepness in real life, but you cant really expect a game to accurately grab the extent of massive elevation change.
Good feedback...and nice stripes...

Stock Audi R8 LMS Phoenix ? Don't think so, the low speed front grip bias is still there. My 1.04 tune still drive the same, I made a new 1.06 version which is better, but the car is still the same like it was in previous version.

oh no stock GT3's are terrible with all that camber. After tuning it, it is really easy compared to how it used to drive.

Last edited:
Back