Update 1.17 Undocumented Changes Thread (READ OP)

• Thread starter CinnamonOD
  • 189 comments
Oh good more physics changes! Gee PD should really take some credit for dramatically changing the physics so often! Must take a lot of work... Odd that all the physics bugs the game had when it came out still haven't been fixed, considering how much effort they're putting into the physics...

Oh there's no confusion from my end at least.

I was frustrated and confused by the broken handling of oversteer. I wasn't even yet prepared to lay blame on the game until 1.17 came out and immediately made it obvious.

No offence but the fact that there's no confusion from your end offers no solace to the rest of us, and the fact that you're talking about such clear changes while none of the rest of us seem to have noticed anything at all doesn't reflect well on you or your claim, but I'm glad that, for you at least, so much has been fixed.

It's fairly clear that it was sarcasm, which belongs in the epic whining and crying thread. If you want to keep complaining there's a place for that, but at the moment you're derailing two threads.
Just because there's an Epic Whinging and Crying Thread doesn't mean all complaints must go there, just like all praise for PD doesn't have to go in the Epic Crying Tears of Joy thread either. We are free to post wherever we like so long as we conform with the AUP. Those threads exist so you can go there and whing and cry or praise the game without fear of being debated about it, as the mass deletion from the W and C thread this weekend shows, and not because it's the only place on the site to do so.

No offence but the fact that there's no confusion from your end offers no solace to the rest of us, and the fact that you're talking about such clear changes while none of the rest of us seem to have noticed anything at all doesn't reflect well on you or your claim, but I'm glad that, for you at least, so much has been fixed.

None taken. Doesn't really bother me whether folks "believe" it or not, or whether it ends up being in the OP. Although it's a bit disconcerting there's so much doubt but I can understand , this is the internet after all, and there are people on GT6 that have never even driven a real car.

Honestly if it was convenient for me to do so, I'd definitely want to throw up a video of it to show what I mean.

If there's anyone out there that's reading this that's still on 1.16 - here's what I was doing before and after:
  • Tsukuba
  • BMW M3, Honda NSX-R, Mazda RX7 Spirit R, Mazda RX8
  • All bone stock. Comfort Medium tires.
  • 900* wheel. TCS off. ASM off. ABS 1.
  • The last turn at Tsukuba, try drifting it. It should be very easy to initiate with a feint, and then hold a comfortable shallow angle slide in 3rd gear. I bet you on 1.16 you will have a very hard time of it. Especially something with as much power as the M3 will seem to bog down and throttle inputs do nothing to maintain momentum or change the angle of the slide. It's also extremely snappy upon recovery. Now try with 1.17 - much better.
  • First tight hairpin at Tsukuba. Try exiting in a power slide in 2nd gear. Again, very hard to making it out without snapping around or snapping inward.
For now that's the best I can do to express my point.

Oh good more physics changes! Gee PD should really take some credit for dramatically changing the physics so often! Must take a lot of work... Odd that all the physics bugs the game had when it came out still haven't been fixed, considering how much effort they're putting into the physics...

LOL - as for this snarky comment... this was an issue I found on 1.16. I do not know how long it's been there, but certainly not very far back as I would've given up on GT6 long ago if it was like this day one. My opinion is that it broke along the way (maybe it was as of 1.16 itself) and now they've resolved in 1.17. No they did not change the world, but they did fix something that was very wrong with 1.16. That is all. Sheesh...

None taken. Doesn't really bother me whether folks "believe" it or not, or whether it ends up being in the OP. Although it's a bit disconcerting there's so much doubt but I can understand , this is the internet after all, and there are people on GT6 that have never even driven a real car.

Honestly if it was convenient for me to do so, I'd definitely want to throw up a video of it to show what I mean.

If there's anyone out there that's reading this that's still on 1.16 - here's what I was doing before and after:
  • Tsukuba
  • BMW M3, Honda NSX-R, Mazda RX7 Spirit R, Mazda RX8
  • All bone stock. Comfort Medium tires.
  • 900* wheel. TCS off. ASM off. ABS 1.
  • The last turn at Tsukuba, try drifting it. It should be very easy to initiate with a feint, and then hold a comfortable shallow angle slide in 3rd gear. I bet you on 1.16 you will have a very hard time of it. Especially something with as much power as the M3 will seem to bog down and throttle inputs do nothing to maintain momentum or change the angle of the slide. It's also extremely snappy upon recovery. Now try with 1.17 - much better.
  • First tight hairpin at Tsukuba. Try exiting in a power slide in 2nd gear. Again, very hard to making it out without snapping around or snapping inward.

LOL - as for this snarky comment... this was an issue I found on 1.16. I do not know how long it's been there, but certainly not very far back as I would've given up on GT6 long ago if it was like this day one. My opinion is that it broke along the way (maybe it was as of 1.16 itself) and now they've resolved in 1.17. No they did not change the world, but they did fix something that was very wrong with 1.16. That is all. Sheesh...
Have you read this? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/update-1-16-physics-changes.324620/

Here are a couple of comments about the 1.16 update:

But with modded and hard setup 458/NSX I was just 4wheel inertia drifting into every corner I'd like to do so. I can finally drift naturally, scandinavian flick and generally forget there's an eBrake.

But before, when overdriving/hooning around it was not very "realistic", it felt like always going between under/oversteer and there wasn't much you could do except try to correct and somehow get back, or crash.

Now I can 4 wheel drift and use the controls to induce, control, and prolong that, by what if feels like managing weight, with traction and direction. I can hoon around for laps and laps taking different approaches to the corners and generally having much more fun, always with a very good control and almost never going off track because I can "feel" (can't explain how though) the car move and it's weight shift and adjust accordingly.

You can now take corners in any fashion or style you like, as you do IRL. I had a lot of trouble drifting before, now it just comes naturally, even in normal racing or time attack.

Have you read this? https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/update-1-16-physics-changes.324620/

Here are a couple of comments about the 1.16 update:
I glanced that thread, but didn't really read it through. Will do though.

Anyway, look, I've provided my experience as detailed as I could. I'm using stock cars which eliminates setup variables. Using CM tires which is the best proxy for real life. I've been tracking cars for 10 years (NB and now NC MX5. You're from Windsor? You can find me at TMP, Shannonville, and Mosport DDT) and am familiar with what oversteer feels like at speed and how to recover. I don't intentionally drift on track but I do whenever there's snow on the streets.

That's about it. Not really any more use of "defending" my point as it's not an issue any more.

I hope they don't go breaking it again in a future update.

If you wanted to get a more quantifiable handle on what's going on try the data logger, or better, the Motec software. You'd be able to overlay your steering and accelerator trace, as well as rear wheel speeds. It might not explain what exactly has changed but it will demonstrate a difference very clearly. Just a suggestion.

I glanced that thread, but didn't really read it through. Will do though.

Anyway, look, I've provided my experience as detailed as I could. I'm using stock cars which eliminates setup variables. Using CM tires which is the best proxy for real life. I've been tracking cars for 10 years (NB and now NC MX5. You're from Windsor? You can find me at TMP, Shannonville, and Mosport DDT) and am familiar with what oversteer feels like at speed and how to recover. I don't intentionally drift on track but I do whenever there's snow on the streets.

That's about it. Not really any more use of "defending" my point as it's not an issue any more.

I hope they don't go breaking it again in a future update.
I don't doubt your experience, its just that every update is usually accompanied by claims that there have been drastic changes to the physics, and some that say that change is one way and others that say the opposite or no change at all. Its kind of taught most veterans around here to distrust anecdotal evidence and attempt to prove or disprove changes through thorough testing.

I wasn't aware that sarcasm came under "whining and crying", I guess your post wasn't sarcastic at all then big gun ;)

It genuinely wasn't sarcasm, and sorry if I seemed a bit harsh in directing you to the epic whining and crying thread but when I posted that you were actively complaining about PD in two separate threads, and when people do that the epic whining and crying thread is generally what they're looking for.

It genuinely wasn't sarcasm, and sorry if I seemed a bit harsh in directing you to the epic whining and crying thread but when I posted that you were actively complaining about PD in two separate threads, and when people do that the epic whining and crying thread is generally what they're looking for.

All good mate, wasn't complaining, was just having a laugh about how every undocumented changes thread seems to have physics changes lol

I'm seeing greatly improved stability since the update to 1.17

Previously, I was seeing total PS3 hangs often multiple times per day when either I left the console on a menu for hours or left Bob to drive for me.

It was so bad that after Bob had earned money, I would unfailingly make sure that the data was saved.

I don't think I have had even one hang since being on 1.17.

Anyone else experience this?

Sadly, I spoke too soon. The game is locking up my PS3 again, multiple times per day. It was perfect for over a week, but no more.

Switch you PS3 video output to 720p. That's the only way I could manage to curb the lockups, have only had it happen a few times now since last year (update 1.12-1.14) when it would lockup dozens of time per day.

The hardware seems to hate outputting GT6 @ 1080p for too long. :grumpy:

I always set my ps3 with hdmi, selecting 720p and excluding higher resolutions and other stuffs(since gt5), I emptied the message memory, histories, I always nat 2, do not use visible damage, exclude headphones, 14 car lobby, only abs, no boost weak or otherwise, use wake realistic, realistic grip, but after the last update, or better the last two updates, my ps3 freezes more often and in online races have appeared bugs much more frequent than before, something will have to adjust.
I can say that GT6 for me is better than gt5 with which the lag was virtually present in every room, but now it is becoming difficult to enjoy the races with friends.
Among other things I gave the vacuum cleaner on the console, perhaps it was that? :lol:
However i still play gt6 and complete 2 differents account 100% all golds, and i dont mind.:gtpflag:

Switch you PS3 video output to 720p. That's the only way I could manage to curb the lockups, have only had it happen a few times now since last year (update 1.12-1.14) when it would lockup dozens of time per day.

Thank you for the suggestion, I've made the switch, fingers crossed!

Among other things I gave the vacuum cleaner on the console, perhaps it was that? :lol:
It’s bad to clean the inside of your computer (PS3)with a vacuum cleaner because vacuuming creates a large static build up that could (and most likely will) discharge into the sensitive electronics inside your computer case. There are specialized vacuum cleaners designed for cleaning out computers and electronic equipment but given the limited amount of use a single user would get from such a purchase it’s not a very wise one—they start at $300+ and can easily break the $1000 price barrier
http://www.howtogeek.com/57870/ask-...rolling-multiple-computers-with-one-keyboard/

i gave vacum cleaner ( very old version ) out of ps3 case ,never pass on my head to open a console, and i do just for remove the dust 1 time ,after a week of stranges freezeing,and really never before, but thank you for that info

Tyres sinking into the pavement has never happened to me before, not even back when the viewfinder for the camera in photomode was borked.
Take an E-Type for a spin. I suspect it has something to do with fender clearance (PD favoring sunken tires over tires poking through sheetmetal), because the default upgraded suspensions' ride height values induce sinkage at the front of the car even during static viewing--sinkage begins at something like 7 clicks under the unupgraded ride height value.

Take an E-Type for a spin. I suspect it has something to do with fender clearance (PD favoring sunken tires over tires poking through sheetmetal), because the default upgraded suspensions' ride height values induce sinkage at the front of the car even during static viewing--sinkage begins at something like 7 clicks under the unupgraded ride height value.
If it's only the E-Type then I guess that's the only car because I've never seen that.

I thought the Stratos did the same thing.

I thought the Stratos did the same thing.
I think you're right. I feel like a BMW does as well, but I'm not certain this is the case, or of which car if it is the case.

As an aside, many thanks to the moderator responsible for tending to sparky's spasm. :P

I have seen the Trans Am clip the front right wheel through the ground, as well as tyres apparently dissapearing slightly when over white lines. But this has always been there.

I switched from 1080i to 720p hoping for reduced lockups.

However, it's no better. I'm seeing one or two per day. Generally all three PS3s lock up in unison.

Thanks for trying!

Back