Update 1.17 Undocumented Changes Thread (READ OP)

• Thread starter CinnamonOD
  • 189 comments
Tyres sinking into the pavement has never happened to me before, not even back when the viewfinder for the camera in photomode was borked.

I'll have to look and see if I have some examples from before. There were times when it was pretty bad. Including pieces of curbs and painted lines appearing to go through tires.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I don't remember ever having seen the rotors glow while doing this...

20150322_022144.jpg

Edit: Not just this car. Looks like all of them now...

20150322_024209.jpg

Sorry if I've just missed this somehow.

Also I cant be bothered to go through the hassle of uploading the actual pics right now being 2:45am so you get snaps from my phone :P

Last edited:
I was at Indy last night playing as normal in an online lobby and I then I decided to go to pits to change my car. The game proceeded to go to the blank loading screen with the little moving dots. I could still hear voices on the mics but i couldn't do anything. I had to switch off the PS3. I had no problems prior to 1.17. I can't prove this because i didn't have a camera to hand and I was too annoyed to think about getting my camera but to smack something. Has anyone else notice this happen?

Has anyone seen this happen before? I don't remember ever having seen the rotors glow while doing this...

View attachment 335034

Edit: Not just this car. Looks like all of them now...

View attachment 335036

Sorry if I've just missed this somehow.

Also I cant be bothered to go through the hassle of uploading the actual pics right now being 2:45am so you get snaps from my phone :P

Nice find, that never happened to me.

Has anyone seen this happen before?
Hasn't that been going on since GT3?

Yes and yes.

The game proceeded to go to the blank loading screen with the little moving dots. I could still hear voices on the mics but i couldn't do anything. I had to switch off the PS3. I had no problems prior to 1.17.

I've had this issue various times throughout both GT5 and 6 over the years, nothing new.

Anyway, I'm pretty convinced that the crash and roll over physics have recieved a vast improvement. Kind of difficult to describe, but for one the moon like gravity when your car left the ground has almost gone. Not entirely, but nearly. The car does not act so weird anymore especially when upside-down or on it's nose, it's much quicker to return to the ground whatever it's position and angle, the same also applies when you have been thrown into the air, the car returns to the ground quite a bit quicker.

Violently rolling over seems much more natural too, it finally seems like the car keeps it's mass and momentum when performing multiple rolls whereas before it seemed floaty, cumbersome, the speed of the roll would change depending on whether the car was upside-down or not and in general completely unrealistic. You also seem to perform more rolls as a result now too. I'll get round to uploading some footage some time.

Apologies for the double post.

So in order to make a claim about changes, it's best to provide some before and after evidence. I suppose this test is ridiculous and perhaps I now rein back a little on how much I think something changed, but I still feel like something is different. Here's a few clips pre and post 1.17 crashes with very light weight cars, with some of the roll overs I was trying to describe at the end of the video.

I also saved this crash I had because I had never experienced something like that in GT6 before. Plenty of times I've been rammed up the rear (oo'er missus) when messing around with the AI and usually it just spins me into the barrier. In this instance (post 1.17), the Veyron's impact lifted and flipped my car over.

crash_zpscrgdn9bc.gif

Last edited:
I dont know if this there was after or before the last update, but now the race soft tyres on the wet track (100%) are undriveable , and i find the comfort soft tyres ( almost close to the real good sport car tyres) with a good grip, spoken of the same track wet conditions.

It's always been like that, you have a little bit of grip with Low Grip Reduction, and literally no grip when it's on real.

I Use always the realistic grip, in arcade or online (where is possible) and i remember the 24 minutes of nurburgring i had raced with the rs tyres in a full wet condition the car was fine with a huge grip, i repeated all the game with a new account starting from december 2014 and repeat all the races, the same good grip with rs tyres(more than the intermediate) but now accidentaly in offline mode i've notice that the rs tyre doesn't have grip, while the intermediate and heavy rain, make much difference.

There were glowing rotors in GT3 and GT4? How the hell did I miss that?!?!?!

I have no idea, they were plenty noticeable ;)

gt3glowingbrakes_zpsuh1wwh8h.jpg

Second, I find it funny that the frame rate in your gif looks better than the game itself most of the time.

Maybe because the lower frame rate of the gif is missing out the bad/missed/double frames that the game usually throws out? I don't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the gif is only 20fps. I originally tried to post a 60fps one but photobucket said Nope.

So in order to make a claim about changes, it's best to provide some before and after evidence. I suppose this test is ridiculous and perhaps I now rein back a little on how much I think something changed, but I still feel like something is different. Here's a few clips pre and post 1.17 crashes with very light weight cars, with some of the roll overs I was trying to describe at the end of the video.

I also saved this crash I had because I had never experienced something like that in GT6 before. Plenty of times I've been rammed up the rear (oo'er missus) when messing around with the AI and usually it just spins me into the barrier. In this instance (post 1.17), the Veyron's impact lifted and flipped my car over.

crash_zpscrgdn9bc.gif

Much more realistic physics indeed. Mass and kinetic energy act profounly better and this is what has changed in handling too over the limit since update 1.16.

Wow, crash physics did change! Especially when you roll over.

Before, when you rolled over, the car did that in a very slow way... Like in slow motion.
Now it seems like the impacts are much harder on the ground, and the car rolling over spins much faster.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzfsJF-SscY

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/unofficial_GT_master/crash_zpscrgdn9bc.gif
Precisely which version was the "before 1.17" taken from?

Because I noticed an improvement with 1.16 (over 1.15) during a "stunt drive" at Willow, and saw changes when bouncing over curbs, the Trial Mountain "jump" etc.

I think he was saying about the rotors glowing, when doing a burnout. Of course there was glowing brakes before, but i never noticed, while doing a burnout.:)
Yeah that is primarily what my first post was about. Power braking causing the rotors to glow.

Buy I truly didn't know about the glowing in GT3/4 but then again I hardly ever watched the replays back then either :ouch:

So I guess the question remains... is rear brake rotor glow while power braking (spinning wheels with full brakes standing still) new?

Yeah that is primarily what my first post was about. Power braking causing the rotors to glow.

Buy I truly didn't know about the glowing in GT3/4 but then again I hardly ever watched the replays back then either :ouch:

So I guess the question remains... is rear brake rotor glow while power braking (spinning wheels with full brakes standing still) new?
What would be the difference, in terms of how the feature is "programmed" into the game, between the brakes glowing under normal braking and them glowing during a brake stand?

I seem to remember it happened in GT3, but it'd potentially be easier to obtain evidence from GT4.

What would be the difference, in terms of how the feature is "programmed" into the game, between the brakes glowing under normal braking and them glowing during a brake stand?

It is a pure assumption, but could be that before the glow of the brakes occurs in sudden decelerations of linear speed of the car and now take into account the angular speed of the wheels.

So am I the only person that noticed a DRAMATIC difference in tire physics over 1.16? And by difference I should really mean fix, since things were extremely broken before.

There is a huge difference in how the tires loose grip, slip, and regain grip. It has now been fixed to be:
  • more progressive (gentler breakaway),
  • less snappy (easier to recover when tires regain grip),
  • more intuitive (throttle modulation works)
  • and ultimately more true to life.
The difference is most noticeable on comfort tires, stock cars with unmodified suspensions when oversteering, drifting, powersliding.

I cannot stress how severely broken this was in 1.16 (and maybe even earlier? Not sure how long this problem has existed). It was almost possible to maintain decent angles of slide (in stock cars on Comfort tires) without it snapping severely. Also it was not AT ALL possible to modulate the slide through throttle - cars would feel like they bogged down and lose power in the middle of a slide. The car would just slide in a 90 degree again and grind to a stop even with full power applied.

1.17 restores things to how things should be. I don't have video proof, but to really drive my point home I was quite literally playing with stock cores on CS, CH tires the night before 1.17 was released and wondering why the hell they weren't behaving like I thought they should. I thought it was my lack of skill (LOL - very possible) and even ended up Googling it. I didn't find much as I guess people who drift all do it in super tuned cars. But lo-and behold, fired up 1.17 last night and it was fixed!

So thank you PD for realizing the issue and resolving it.

I noticed the change in the sound of the tires doing laps in various circuits with the new Lexus, one is Sierra and the other is the one in the american dessert, I don't remember the name
Willow Springs International Raceway. Also, Streets of Willow variant.

It is a pure assumption, but could be that before the glow of the brakes occurs in sudden decelerations of linear speed of the car and now take into account the angular speed of the wheels.
What about if the car crashed? ;)

PD do track individual brake temperatures in the game, for whatever reason; it may just be for this incandescence shading. It's very easy to keep track of the braking effort at each wheel, and it's required for the ABS system at any rate.

In GT3, the shading didn't take into account the lighting levels, and seemed a bit arbitrary (like it was based on a fixed time delay after braking onset), whereas by GT4 it seemed to react according to the rate kinetic energy is dissipated, and the "glow" effect fitted in better with the ambient lighting. That behaviour seems to have stuck since.

So am I the only person that noticed a DRAMATIC difference in tire physics over 1.16? And by difference I should really mean fix, since things were extremely broken before.

There is a huge difference in how the tires loose grip, slip, and regain grip. It has now been fixed to be:
  • more progressive (gentler breakaway),
  • less snappy (easier to recover when tires regain grip),
  • more intuitive (throttle modulation works)
  • and ultimately more true to life.
The difference is most noticeable on comfort tires, stock cars with unmodified suspensions when oversteering, drifting, powersliding.

I cannot stress how severely broken this was in 1.16 (and maybe even earlier? Not sure how long this problem has existed). It was almost possible to maintain decent angles of slide (in stock cars on Comfort tires) without it snapping severely. Also it was not AT ALL possible to modulate the slide through throttle - cars would feel like they bogged down and lose power in the middle of a slide. The car would just slide in a 90 degree again and grind to a stop even with full power applied.

1.17 restores things to how things should be. I don't have video proof, but to really drive my point home I was quite literally playing with stock cores on CS, CH tires the night before 1.17 was released and wondering why the hell they weren't behaving like I thought they should. I thought it was my lack of skill (LOL - very possible) and even ended up Googling it. I didn't find much as I guess people who drift all do it in super tuned cars. But lo-and behold, fired up 1.17 last night and it was fixed!

So thank you PD for realizing the issue and resolving it.

Here we go again... :lol:

If PD gave us genuine comprehensive change logs, so much confusion could be avoided.

I seem to remember it happened in GT3, but it'd potentially be easier to obtain evidence from GT4.
It would make sense that this at the very least should have been happening from the start as you say. Theoretically it is essentially the same as braking. I noticed some cars do it more than others as well. The BMW safety car barely gets any glow whereas the Pagani glows like they're about to start on fire.

This really could simply be a case of never noticing it before. Somebody with 1.16 or older would have to confirm it.

It's really not a big deal. Just thought for once I might have actually found something lol :cheers:

Here we go again... :lol:

If PD gave us genuine comprehensive change logs, so much confusion could be avoided.
Oh there's no confusion - from my end at least.

I was frustrated and confused by the broken handling of oversteer. I wasn't even yet prepared to lay blame on the game until 1.17 came out and immediately made it obvious.

Latest Posts

Back