Usgp 2005

• Thread starter Blake
  • 503 comments
VashTheStampede
No Derek Daly is not a normal commentator for F1 on SPEED. I think he is only at the race because it is the USGP and SPEED gives the USGP extra special coverage.

This is really not the best week for a GP. There is just too much stuff going on, with the USGP, Le Mans, and the US Open. I am just not going to have much time to play GT4.
I've been playing GT4 during the commercial brakes during the Le Mans coverage. I've been racing the Playstation Pescarolo C60 on the Le Mans II course. I race in the Family Cup on the highest difficultiy setting. I'm using a completely stock car too. I can still win by 3 to 5 seconds, but it is quite a challenge.

Well done Trulli. Button did solidly aswell, poor mistake by DC. Should be a good race tomorrow. Just wish the USGP would be somewhere more challenging. Where else could it be held? laguna Seca?

An F1 race at Laguna Seca would kick way too much ass. Shame it isn't held there.

But I'm very, very pleased with Trulli's qualifying result. Toyota needs a shot in the arm right now; the haven't been doing too well lately.

Laguna Seca would be a much better venue for the USGP. It is a much more exactly track. Indy is just kinda boring with the complete lack of elevation changes. Good one by Trulli. Kimi is going to be good tomorrow.

Good time for Trulli, but he must be short on fuel. Anyway, both Renaults will probably jump to the lead at the first corner. :P

One more Brazilian racing is always good, let´s see how Zonta handles it, I wish him luck.

I just don´t know if they´ll broadcast the whole race here tomorrow. The race will start at 3PM here, and Brazil has a football game against Mexico at 4PM, both on the same channel...

Trulli!!!!!!!!!!!! I counted 5 others the entire weekend wearing a Trulli #16 hat, myself included. I bet I;ll see a few more tomorrow!

I think Toyota is running light, but not excessively so. That being said this will be Kimi's race, though I fully expect Trulli to podium.

Lets see if there will even be a race first...seems all the Michelin teams are threatening a boycot and I sure as hell didn't pay $200+ in tickets to watch Ferrari's lap Jordons and Minardis....

kensei
Lets see if there will even be a race first...seems all the Michelin teams are threatening a boycot and I sure as hell didn't pay $200+ in tickets to watch Ferrari's lap Jordons and Minardis....
:lol: On TV they said the only team threatening not to race was Renault so far. Also, Michelin is bringing the tires used in Barcelona to USA, let´s see what´s going to happen.

Are they not allowed to run on the tires that have been blowing when used without the proper pressure levels? Just use them, but make sure you use the right tire pressure. There's no reason to boycott anything.

Jordan
I couldn't agree with you more on last year's race - that was one of the most exciting GP's I've ever seen. You won't have any trouble finding tickets, either. I don't ever recall seeing this many scalpers in the years before.

Where do you guys like to sit to watch the practice and qualifying sessions?

I ended up buying tickets online. For the race this year, I am sitting in the Corner 10 Terrace. Where are you sitting this year? In the past three years I've sat in Stand H, The Northwest Vista, and the Corner 6 Terrace.

For qualifying this year I sat in the Corner 10 Terrace. Last year, I sat in the Corner 6 Terrace for qualifying. I really think the infield seating is so much better than the permanent track seating. You can see so much more because the stands are so much closer to the track.

I almost wasn't even going to attend this year's race but someone offered to go with me this year. Unfortunately, I won't have the 35mm with its lense that i've used for photographs in previous years. No race photos this year. :( I've still got a camera, but the zoom/film combo on it is useless for action shots.

Also, I'd love to meet some GTPlanet members that are attending tommorrow in person before the race if possible.

FatAssBR
Good time for Trulli, but he must be short on fuel. Anyway, both Renaults will probably jump to the lead at the first corner. :P

The Renaults may get a good jump at the start, but don't count out Kimi on the start. He has always been good at starting and as of late it has been no different. So I would expect him to get off the line well also.

Good performance by Trulli, but the race should be Kimi's for the taking. I expect Zonta to move up the field a bit, the Toyota's have been really good in a straight line so I wouldn't be suprised to see a few first corner moves by Zonta.

Should be good 👍

Blake

EXCLUSIVE: Build a Chicane or We Don't Race, Say Michelin Teams!
Written by: Adam Cooper Indianapolis, Ind. – 6/18/2005

The seven Michelin teams have agreed that they will only race in the USGP if a chicane is fitted before the banked Turn 13 overnight.

The teams have written a letter to the FIA explaining their position and requesting the construction of a chicane.

However that is extremely unlikely to happen, which means that we could see a race take place with just the six Bridgestone cars in it, if the Michelin teams stick to their agreement.

The news emerged after most of the world’s media had headed off to dine in downtown Indy, which means that Speedtv.com was left to get a world exclusive insight from the key personnel involved, none of whom was prepared to be quoted on the record.

However four team bosses made it quite clear to us that this was a serious decision and that there was now no other alternative.

The bombshell decision came after a meeting of the team principals and Michelin bosses. The French company could not guarantee the safety of its tires, and the fact that this race is in the USA, where litigation is common, made things even more awkward.

The option of using the Barcelona tires imported from Clermont-Ferrand has in effect been abandoned. Teams decided that they had no real information about whether they would last, and also there was no firm knowledge about what penalties might ensue if they were used, although it is understood that the FIA had informally suggested that something like a 10 second stop-and-go rather than exclusion.

Thus the chicane option was considered the only viable choice. Bernie Ecclestone has agreed that it makes sense, and he is duty bound to provide a full field of cars for the race for promoter Tony George.

However, the practicalities are insurmountable in terms of designing a chicane, building it, and ensuring that it is safe. Changes to tracks go through a strict homologation process. All those jobs are the responsibility of Charlie Whiting.

As of 8 p.m. Saturday night, nothing was being done to put the process into motion, and we understand that while Bernie wants it to happen, there are too many hurdles to be overcome in terms of safety. We understand that Whiting has resisted pressure from Ecclestone to make it happen, comewhat may.

The cars are of course equipped with the downforce configuration and gear ratios for the track as it was designed, and they won’t be allowed to change.

The only realistic alternative is that the teams opt to run “slowly” through the problematic Turn 13. That is what bemused Ferrari sources suggest they do, anyway, having indicated that there was no way it was going to happen.

This story is not yet over, and Sunday at Indy could be the most dramatic and emotionally charged day at any F1 circuit since 1994.

This is yet another example of the one set of tires per weekend being more of a safety hazard, than any real benefit to slow down speeds.

VashTheStampede
This is yet another example of the one set of tires per weekend being more of a safety hazard, than any real benefit to slow down speeds.

I think the teams that sit out tomorrow will be doing it more to voice their concern over the idiotic once tire per weekend (sat+sun) rule. If the championship leader AND team with the driver's leader (Renault) sits out that is a huge "your rules sucks.". If the team that got pole sits out (Toyota) that is huge as that is the team that won pole.

If this issue happened in Europe I don't think it would be THAT big of a deal. European fans know how nasty F1 can get. Americans however....don't (for the most part). If a F1 race started here in the USA with 6 cars or some such issue that would be a HUGE blow to F1 in the USA. the 'NASCAR doesn't do that, they have 40+ cars..." thing will be huge. It will make F1 look silly and pointless. So I think some of these teams (renault) are show boating the issue to make their point. No doubt there is a saftey issue involved but I watched all the Michelin cars take turn 13 flat today with no issues, I sat in stand A at the exit of turn 13 infront of the Toyota pits Fri+Sat.

70+ laps in a race thought are another thing...

We will see tomorrow. :nervous:

Wow ... umm, dude, that's pretty messed up. I don't know how many teams if any will actually sit out tomorrows race.

So the chance of a chicane being built is about nil, but then again, the chance of 7 teams pulling out of a GP is about nil too. This will be interesting, if nothing happens there will be a pretty major accident ... it's going to be an interesting Sunday that's for sure.

Blake

How can anyone even consider taking the risk? Show boating the issue kensei? Well we'll see what you think when someone has a tyre blowout through 13 and ends up worse than Ralf last year. It shouldn't even be debated, either its slowed down by a means of a chicane prior to it or dont compete, if you were a team boss how could you risk your drivers who go out again and again and do their best for the team.

Just shows how stupid some of these new regulations are. The only way to slow the cars down AND make them safer in my humble opinion is either make them less powerful or make them heavier.
One tyre per race, less downforce, grooved tyres all may slow the cars down (oh wait, they seemed to have gained all of their lost performance already) but they are making it MORE dangourous.

If the FIA lets the Michelin teams do this now they'll be able to do it in the future though, just claim there tyre is not safe and they can get a new compound. If the FIA allow it now then someone will want to do it later down the track. I don't want to see anyone injured but it should be up to Michelin to bring a safe[/i] tyre to a GP before thinking about performance. If they cannot make a tyre that will last 320km they shouldn't be supplying tyres in F1. It's a completely ridiculous situation and Michelin should be punished.

Blake

2 Toyotas pop a tire and suddenly nobody trusts Michelin. When BAR first entered F1 their rear wing flew off in 2 or 3 consecutive races or something like that. I think Renault is the only team that is threatening to withdraw from the race.

I'm sure everyone remembers what Kimi and McLaren said after the retirement in Hungary, there is no way that they will withdraw from the race.

mipuumal
2 Toyotas pop a tire and suddenly nobody trusts Michelin. When BAR first entered F1 their rear wing flew off in 2 or 3 consecutive races or something like that. I think Renault is the only team that is threatening to withdraw from the race.

I'm sure everyone remembers what Kimi and McLaren said after the retirement in Hungary, there is no way that they will withdraw from the race.

Its not that noone trusts michelin, infact it's the opposite michelin have advised teams not to race unless they can either find the fault with the tyre or use the tyre type they used in barcelona.

Ralf only did 9 laps on those tyres. That must have been a manufacturing defect on that 1 tyre, and possibly the same defect on the other Toyota that had a failure. But why was it only Toyota? The Toyotas are really fast through that corner. Maybe it's something to do with their setup.

If there is a fault with the tyres then how did Pedro de la Rosa do 37 laps during practice 2? I don't know if it was the same set all the way, but it probably was.

[FPV]Rusty
How can anyone even consider taking the risk? Show boating the issue kensei? Well we'll see what you think when someone has a tyre blowout through 13 and ends up worse than Ralf last year. It shouldn't even be debated, either its slowed down by a means of a chicane prior to it or dont compete, if you were a team boss how could you risk your drivers who go out again and again and do their best for the team.

Just shows how stupid some of these new regulations are. The only way to slow the cars down AND make them safer in my humble opinion is either make them less powerful or make them heavier.
One tyre per race, less downforce, grooved tyres all may slow the cars down (oh wait, they seemed to have gained all of their lost performance already) but they are making it MORE dangourous.

You missed my point. I have watched Michelin running cars make 250+ laps at full speed on turn 13 since friday. Only one of them had issue (blowout).

My point was...yes there is a saftey issue on the table, there has been all season franky, Indy's is a bit larger. All the teams have made many laps at full speed on turn 13 so it can be done. Now if it makes the entire race it's another thing. By showboating I mean the teams taking a fairly small issue and blowing it WAY up to make their point.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but at the same time the tire thing has only been an issue ONCE the entire weekend.

We shall see today.

It was on ITV pretty late last night, about 12 I think.

So there was a maufacturing defect in one tire? Ok, so an entire batch could be defective but then again wouldn't Michelins quality control pick up on it?

If the race is abandoned it will be a completely against the FIAs coast saving ideas. It will cost millions to pay everyone off.

If there is a defect in the Michelin tire for this weekend, then it seems like Michelin really messed up for this weekend. Though I tend to agree that the whole thing may be a touch overblown. But it is going to be interesting to see how today comes out.

If there is a defect in the Michelin tire for this weekend,
That is what keeps getting to me. How can a company so respected in the motor industry possibly make an entire batch of defected tires?

Surely it must be just a one off, perhaps even the tire was damaged in fitting or storage.

It's kind of ironic how we first started this season with the doubts of Bridgestone tires, and now look what we have. Michelin has completely dropped the ball on this one. I say, keep the track as it is. Keep the power and speeds as they are. If teams don't want to race, then they wont race. Michelin had the job to supply proper tires to the teams, and they failed to do that. I don't see why those teams with Bridgestones should be punished just because they got things right. But, I don't want to see teams quit. I don't want to see Ferraris llapping Jordans all race long.

But, since this is a serious safety issue, the FIA cannot force the teams who use Michelins to race on unsafe tires. They should be allowed to race on a set of new tires. Therefore, the teams who use Michelins should requalify with the new tires, forcing them to the rear of the starting grid. They'll get their data. They'll be punished. The Bridgestone teams will catch a break. We'll get our race the way it should be.

But, now it's too late to do that, apparently. Now what?

These letters pretty much explain the situation

Letter from Michelin to the Race Director:

Race Director:

Saturday June 18 2005 Indianapolis

Charlie Whiting, FIA Race Director and Safety delegate

Dear Mr Whiting

Having analysed and fully evaluated the tyre failures that have occurred over the Indianapolis Grand Prix practice sessions we have been unable to identify a root cause.

The current rules and timescale do not permit the use of an alternative tyre solution and the race must be performed with the qualifying tyres.

Michelin has in the sole interest of safety informed its partner teams that we do not have total assurance that all tyres that qualified the cars can be used unless the vehicle speed in turn 13 can be reduced.

Michelin very much regrets this situation, but has taken this decision after careful consideration and in the best interests of safety at the event.

We trust that the FIA can understand our position and we remain at your disposal if you want any further information.

Pierre Dupasquier Michelin Motorsport Director

Nick Shorrock Director of Michelin F1 activities

Cc:Bernie Ecclestone Michelin teamsRon Dennis (West McLaren-Mercedes)Flavio Briatore (Mild Seven Renault F1) Frank Williams (BMW WilliamsF1 Team) Peter Sauber (Sauber Petronas) Christian Horner (Red Bull Racing)Nick Fry (B-A-R Honda) John Howett (Panasonic Toyota Racing)

Letter from Charlie Whiting, the FIA Formula One Race Director, in reply to above letter from Representatives of Michelin:

19 June, 2005

Dear Mr Dupasquier,Dear Mr Shorrock,

We have received your letter of 18 June.

We are very surprised that this difficulty has arisen. As you know, each team is allowed to bring two different types of tyre to an event so as to ensure that a back-up (usually of lower performance) is available should problems occur. It is hard to understand why you have not supplied your teams with such a tyre given your years of experience at Indianapolis.

That the teams you supply are not in possession of such a tyre will also be a matter for the FIA to consider in due course under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

No doubt you will inform your teams what is the maximum safe speed for their cars in Turn 13. We will remind them of the need to follow your advice for safety reasons. We will also ask them to ensure their cars do not obstruct other competitors.

Some of the teams have raised with us the possibility of running a tyre which was not used in qualifying. We have told them this would be a breach of the rules to be considered by the stewards. We believe the penalty would not be exclusion but would have to be heavy enough to ensure that no team was tempted to use qualifying tyres in the future.

Another possibility would be for the relevant teams repeatedly to change the affected tyre during the race (we understand you have told your teams the left rear is safe for a maximum of ten laps at full speed). If the technical delegate and the stewards were satisfied that each change was made because the tyre would otherwise fail (thus for genuine safety reasons) and that the relevant team were not gaining an advantage, there would be no penalty. If this meant using tyres additional to a teams' allocation, the stewards would consider all the circumstances in deciding what penalty, if any, to apply.

Finally, it has been suggested that a chicane should be laid out in Turn 13. I am sure you will appreciate that this is out of the question. To change the course in order to help some of the teams with a performance problem caused by their failure to bring suitable equipment to the race would be a breach of the rules and grossly unfair to those teams which have come to Indianapolis with the correct tyres.

Yours sincerely,

Charlie WhitingFIA Formula One Race Director

cc: Bernie EcclestoneRon Dennis (West McLaren-Mercedes)Flavio Briatore (Mild Seven Renault F1) Frank Williams (BMW WilliamsF1 Team) Peter Sauber (Sauber Petronas) Christian Horner (Red Bull Racing)Nick Fry (B-A-R Honda)John Howett (Panasonic Toyota Racing)Jean Todt (Scuderia Ferrari)Colin Kolles (Jordan Grand Prix)Paul Stoddart (Minardi F1 Team)

Back