Venom F5 - Hennessey's Next Supercar

This is like :
Saleen S5S Raptor + Ferrari Enzo + Pagani Zonda + koenigsegg Agera + Ford GT 2017 = Venom F5.
A destructive mix of super cars X)

This needs to be repeated everytime this thread is bumped. Hennessey is a ****ing fraud.

https://jalopnik.com/ex-employees-say-hennessey-is-a-bigger-mess-than-you-ev-1778134112

From 2016, but the words still ring true.
I mean, this sounds like any given car dealer or repair shop in the U.S. Actually, given the low count over the past decade, it might be better than most, significantly.
The only reason I work on my cars is because of how badly the auto repair industry rapes people.

I'm not saying that justifies him, but I only saw a single "confirmed" case since 2001. I doubt you can find many dealers/shops that don't have a few infuriated customers.

Look up Jiffy Lube on Youtube.

Wonder if they'll officially test its top speed this time, rather than allegedly doing so on their own private strip. Regardless I don't care for it, to me Hennessey cars don't qualify as true hypercars; the man's just a poser.

Frankly, I'm far more interested in what Gumpert has been doing as of late.

Gumpert Apollo Intensa Emozione 2019
Gumpert Apollo Intensa Emozione 2019.jpg

Not a big fan of the design, but at least I know this thing will be able to perform on a circuit, and not just an airstrip. https://www.netcarshow.com/gumpert/2019-apollo_intensa_emozione/

I mean, this sounds like any given car dealer or repair shop in the U.S. Actually, given the low count over the past decade, it might be better than most, significantly.
The only reason I work on my cars is because of how badly the auto repair industry rapes people.

I'm not saying that justifies him, but I only saw a single "confirmed" case since 2001. I doubt you can find many dealers/shops that don't have a few infuriated customers.

There's a significant difference between a nationwide chain that gets thousands of customers a month and a high-dollar specialty tuner who gets maybe a hundred customers a year.

There's also a significant difference between "they put the wrong oil in someone's car" and "they took $75,000 of someone's money, kept it for two years, did nothing that was promised and refused to give a refund because the customer is a 'rich dumbass'". The former could easily be a mistake or oversight, the latter is definitely intentional and fraudulent.

Wonder if they'll officially test its top speed this time, rather than allegedly doing so on their own private strip. Regardless I don't care for it, to me Hennessey cars don't qualify as true hypercars; the man's just a poser.

Frankly, I'm far more interested in what Gumpert has been doing as of late.

Gumpert Apollo Intensa Emozione 2019
View attachment 687240

Not a big fan of the design, but at least I know this thing will be able to perform on a circuit, and not just an airstrip. https://www.netcarshow.com/gumpert/2019-apollo_intensa_emozione/
As someone who actually like the Veneno at lot, that thing is too much for me. :ill:

There's a significant difference between a nationwide chain that gets thousands of customers a month and a high-dollar specialty tuner who gets maybe a hundred customers a year.

There's also a significant difference between "they put the wrong oil in someone's car" and "they took $75,000 of someone's money, kept it for two years, did nothing that was promised and refused to give a refund because the customer is a 'rich dumbass'". The former could easily be a mistake or oversight, the latter is definitely intentional and fraudulent.
I was referring to charging $1,300 for A/C repair without so much as popping the hood. (Which is absolutely fraudulent)

Also, hearing stories from disgruntled customers isn't always the best way to know exactly what happened.
I don't know what all happened here, but to believe that "only people close by and friends of his" receive decent service is pretty hard to believe, isn't it? I would think there might be quite a few (hundred) more complaints if that were true.

I was referring to charging $1,300 for A/C repair without so much as popping the hood. (Which is absolutely fraudulent)

Also, hearing stories from disgruntled customers isn't always the best way to know exactly what happened.
I don't know what all happened here, but to believe that "only people close by and friends of his" receive decent service is pretty hard to believe, isn't it? I would think there might be quite a few (hundred) more complaints if that were true.

When they've been circulating for nearly 20 years, then what is happening? The man is a fraud. Plain and simple.

I really like this line from an Automobile staffer that went to SEMA and saw the 1:1 plastic mock up of the Venom F5:

Hennessey’s vision for the 1,600 horsepower, 300 mph Venom F5 is purely a theory. The car the brand debuted at SEMA was a plastic toy that just merely resembled what the F5 is supposed to look like. It did not run. There was no interior and the company’s claim that Bugatti and Koenigsegg haven’t chased Hennessey’s Venom GT top speed record because those cars can’t hit it is asinine. It’s a fake car, just like fake news.

That second to last part is especially hilarious considering Koenigsegg managed to hit 277 MPH TODAY. (As of this posting)

• On Nov. 14 a New Jersey court entered a final judgement of $133,674 against Hennessey on behalf of Viper owner Gary Dan for a botched conversion.
  • William Walters said he is out over $22,000 after shipping his Corvette to Hennessey for a head and cam package that was never done; he did have five rods bent and a head gasket damaged on the dyno in Hennessey’s shop during an experiment Hennessey tried with nitrous oxide.
  • Jerry Johnson said he had to file suit in Placer County Court in California to straighten out registration and engine computer problems on a Viper he bought from Hennessey. n Jon Belinkie said he loves the changes made to his Viper but had to sue in his home state of Maryland, then register the judgement in Texas, to recover overcharges Hennessey made on his American Express card.
  • Rick Ryan said he had to hound Hennessey for eight months by long distance from Marietta, Georgia, to put the proper wing and stripes on his Viper.
  • Mark Lublin said he sent his Viper cylinder heads to Hennessey for new valves but when the heads came back he found the “new” valves were actually used; a cam that was delivered to Lublin in a Hennessey box turned out to be a stock Chrysler cam. Lublin was finally refunded $5,715 from American Express but only after nine months of disputing the charge; and he got no money from Hennessey.
  • Bruce Iannatuono said he ordered $8,500 worth of Hennessey parts for his mechanic in Baltimore to install but was only able to use two-thirds of what was shipped, and then only after haranguing Hennessey for six months on an order that was originally promised in five weeks.Most of the complaints come from outside Texas. Hennessey, some said, tends to take better care of local customers.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...sey-his-cylinder-heads-problems#ixzz4xZyQq1cr
This is just from before 2003.
“If you were out of state, man you were fair game,” said Kyle Kent, a former employee at Hennessey Motorsports. When an out-of-state car came in it was sometimes parted out, with the wheels, tires and whatever else looked good going to other cars waiting to be finished or sold outright, according to Kent and others inside Hennessey Motorsports. Then Hennessey would call the car’s owner and try to sell him an upgraded kit. If the customer balked, Hennessey would take parts from other cars in the shop, or just let the job sit.Kent described one typical disassembly on an out-of-state Viper. “The motor and transmission went into a Durango John was putting together, the brakes went to someone else, the hood went to a guy in Ohio, the rear bumper to South Carolina, man you name it. We had multiple cars like that.”Another common practice was putting stock parts on what was supposed to be an upgraded car.
This is a common complaint among owners and you can find the threads on ViperAlley.
Unless the owner of Jiffy Lube is going online and acting like this, they're not even remotely in the same ballpark.
http://www.300cforums.com/forums/general-discussion/21978-efool-gets-punked-his-own-board.html
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/...cussion/622-jeep-srt8-turbo-road-testing.html

And then there was this news about his tuning school a couple years ago.
https://jalopnik.com/redditor-says-hennessey-s-tuning-school-is-a-joke-henn-1741782736

This is just from before 2003.
That's kinda the point.

I didn't mention any complaints about internet etiquette, I was talking about payments and delivery, timeline, and various service complaints.

I have seen Jiffy Lube videos where mechanics don't lift the hood of a car, and then tell the owners they need major A/C repairs.
To me, that's much more relevant.
And then there was this news about his tuning school a couple years ago.
https://jalopnik.com/redditor-says-hennessey-s-tuning-school-is-a-joke-henn-1741782736
So Mr. ****_your_tater_tots said he isn't happy with it on Reddit, so it must be true.

Again, I'm not defending the guy, but I'm not going to say this isn't something that happens at other schools either.

When they've been circulating for nearly 20 years, then what is happening? The man is a fraud. Plain and simple.
That's a good point. If it's so bad, (and I'm repeating myself now) Why aren't there more? Why are people still going there? Why are they still being featured?

Also, the 20 year old ones aren't, and haven't been the point. He has acknowledged those older issues and blamed it on management.
The point is what's happened since 2003. If he says it was bad management, and replaces the management in 2003, and the vast majority of cases stop happening, that adds credibility.

That second to last part is especially hilarious considering Koenigsegg managed to hit 277 MPH TODAY. (As of this posting)
277.9 :)

He's always exaggerated performance claims. I could name a couple major automotive manufactures guilty of the same thing. They aren't getting blasted for it though.

That's kinda the point.
I suggest you re-read the post. You said, you've only seen 1 complaint since 2001; that's 16 years.

I showed you 6 in the time frame of a year; 2001-2002.
I didn't mention any complaints about internet etiquette, I was talking about payments and delivery, timeline, and various service complaints.
The entire controversy around him is because he doesn't do any of those things.
I have seen Jiffy Lube videos where mechanics don't lift the hood of a car, and then tell the owners they need major A/C repairs.
To me, that's much more relevant.
That's in no way worse than a customer paying several thousand dollars for performance parts and getting something else.
Mark Lublin said he sent his Viper cylinder heads to Hennessey for new valves but when the heads came back he found the “new” valves were actually used; a cam that was delivered to Lublin in a Hennessey box turned out to be a stock Chrysler cam.
So Mr. ****_your_tater_tots said he isn't happy with it on Reddit, so it must be true.
So you can prove it's not?
Again, I'm not defending the guy, but I'm not going to say this isn't something that happens at other schools either.
That's not relevant; it only adds to his poor reputation.
That's a good point. If it's so bad, (and I'm repeating myself now) Why aren't there more? Why are people still going there? Why are they still being featured?

Also, the 20 year old ones aren't, and haven't been the point. He has acknowledged those older issues and blamed it on management.
The point is what's happened since 2003. If he says it was bad management, and replaces the management in 2003, and the vast majority of cases stop happening, that adds credibility.
You're altering your argument a bit now. Read the links. The story around the Ram happened around 2006. There's a Car & Driver article from 2006 as well.

Need something more recent? Try last year with someone out the country who shared his e-mails with John along with ex-employees.
https://jalopnik.com/ex-employees-say-hennessey-is-a-bigger-mess-than-you-ev-1778134112

It's funny a guy on Reddit is not a valid source, but the guy at the center of this is trustworthy when he says it's stopped.

Exxxxceeepptttt, there's 8 complaints with the BBB from 2013-2015 with a F rating.
E3VAx2I-1.png

http://www.porscheboost.com/content...-Hennessey-is-and-how-is-he-still-in-business

I suggest you re-read the post. You said, you've only seen 1 complaint since 2001; that's 16 years.

I showed you 6 in the time frame of a year; 2001-2002.
I got the years mixed up, I meant 2003.

That's in no way worse than a customer paying several thousand dollars for performance parts and getting something else.
Assuming they get something else intentionally, yes.

So you can prove it's not?
Funny, normally I don't think that's how it works.
Of course, normally, Reddit is discredited. Let alone one guy, by the name of ****_your_tater_tots.

That's not relevant; it only adds to his poor reputation.
It's 100% relevant. If you determine it happens elsewhere, you have to define how often, or what percentage, is acceptable.

You're altering your argument a bit now. Read the links. The story around the Ram happened around 2006. There's a Car & Driver article from 2006 as well.
No, that's why I use words like "most", "many" and "often", etc.

Need something more recent? Try last year with someone out the country who shared his e-mails with John along with ex-employees.

It's funny a guy on Reddit is not a valid source, but the guy at the center of this is trustworthy when he says it's stopped.
No, it's funny because Reddit is normally not considered a great source. Let alone cases where it's just one person.

Exxxxceeepptttt
, there's 8 complaints with the BBB from 2013-2015 with a F rating.
E3VAx2I-1.png

http://www.porscheboost.com/content...-Hennessey-is-and-how-is-he-still-in-business
I'm not, nor have I ever said it was all legitimate, or not a fraud.
What I'm saying, is I have seen nor heard anything, that doesn't also happen elsewhere. It's a terrible industry in general, to pick on one isn't quite "fair". I'm also saying that it's simply amazing how many of these complaints have access to information that customers normally never have.

Could you tell me how someone from out of state "knows" that they stripped the car and sold it's parts? Because that sounds laughably impossible.

Assuming they get something else intentionally, yes.
No.
Funny, normally I don't think that's how it works.
Of course, normally, Reddit is discredited. Let alone one guy, by the name of ****_your_tater_tots.
Your only argument is the name. That's a quick way out of actually debating his claim.

Regardless, because of John's past, it doesn't come across as surprising given his past encounters with ripping off clients.

It's 100% relevant. If you determine it happens elsewhere, you have to define how often, or what percentage, is acceptable.
None of it is acceptable. However, given John's reputation, this kind of story doesn't sound all too far fetched.
No, that's why I use words like "most", "many" and "often", etc.
Let's point any of those 3 out, then.
I'm not saying that justifies him, but I only saw a single "confirmed" case since 2001.

What words you use also isn't the point. You originally said you only saw a single case in the last 17 years. Once I posted a link that showed 6 in a 2002 article, it seems convenient you later say the point is what happened following 2003 & that it was a mix up originally.

Okay, that's fine. He replaces management in 2003 and the problems go away because he says so. But, they didn't. The forums happened in 2006. The BBB lists issues from 2013-2015. There was an overseas client from just last year. And there's been issues documented by Viper & GT-R owners in between.
No, it's funny because Reddit is normally not considered a great source. Let alone cases where it's just one person.
Who until proven a liar, is still more credible than a man who was proven.
I'm not, nor have I ever said it was all legitimate, or not a fraud.
What I'm saying, is I have seen nor heard anything, that doesn't also happen elsewhere. It's a terrible industry in general, to pick on one isn't quite "fair". I'm also saying that it's simply amazing how many of these complaints have access to information that customers normally never have.
Again, bringing up that it happens elsewhere is irrelevant. The simple fact is, almost no other high-performance tuner (not a cheap oil change chain that hires young adults to work on sub-200hp cars) has the reputation John has built, a lot of it by his own words online.
Could you tell me how someone from out of state "knows" that they stripped the car and sold it's parts? Because that sounds laughably impossible.
The reason people know is because people find out when they get their cars back or have to tear them down; people find their parts are gone or replaced. This is from 2010 where a GT-R Hennessey built was torn down by Cobb, and saw the quality of Hennessey's work.
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/37559-where-did-the-hennessey-gt-r-end-up/

Someone from Hennessey responds claiming it was a prototype, but as people in the thread point out, the quality should never look that bad nor should the car be sold off afterwards if they know it's not up to client par. John admitted this later in the thread.

However, car #2 is brought one from Hennessey.
OK, I'm the one who started this thread and at times I thought it was spiraling out of control. I had no idea it would be such an attention getter, and at times almost felt bad about posting the pictures as that was destined to do damage to the Hennessey name, which I knew was under scrutiny anyway. John had posted on the board last year that he had changed his ways. Well, after what I saw today I ask when?
I now know that the first car I posted pictures of was not an honest mistake, but a normal way of doing business for Hennessey. I'm the kind of person that doesn't get too wrapped up in internet fauber and likes to see things for myself, right in front so I can make a firsthand opinion. I've seen two Hennessey GT-R's right in front of my nose now and I'm astonished at what I've witnessed.

The car I saw today I'm referring to was a GT600 Hennessey equipped GT-R that also landed my friends shop. The owner had just bought it with 500 miles on the odometer for $75,000. You could tell that the engine had been pulled out, as clips were broken, hoses changed, original parts missing and non-oem bolts, wiring, loom, absence of hose clamps in places, scratches all over on the engine compartment paint. The really troubling thing was all the heat shrouding insulation patching that had been fastened and left in place on either side of the engine around the shock towers and down towards the bottom of the car. At least a 18"-24" size area had been covered on each side, looking like aftermarket turbos mounted up high in the engine compartment at some point in it's supposed 500 mile life. The MAF sensor wiring loom had about 18" of additional wiring added- spliced into it. We un-wrapped the passenger side MAF loom and I was shocked to see a couple of the wires with too little heat shrinked where they were spliced, and bare wires showing. I then pointed out that one of the wires looked nicked up, and just as I said that it separated and fell apart in my hands. The only thing holding until my hand lifting it broke it was a tiny piece of insulation. I still have no idea why these MAF wires had been lengthened so much longer. The only thing I can think of is that they had the MAF's mounted somewhere in the front bumper cover....weird, but probably due to the turbos being up high in the engine compartment when the aftermarket turbos were installed. Also, the passenger side rubber transition hose that is supposed to connect the air-box to the turbo was some bubble gummed up hose that had no business being there. (no, it was the patented triple layer Hennessey hose, lol) This car had the stock air-boxes.

One of the techs removed the intake manifold to get to the spark plugs to check the compression/leakdown. When he removed the intake the gasket had silicone all over it and I ask WHY? Those gaskets are re-usable metal gaskets and are not meant to have goop put on them. You could see someones been all over this engine as everything on top looks like it's been messed with.

Man, I feel sorry for the guy who bought this as he's got a car that has been totally screwed with and I just saw a brand new 2010 for sale for $76,000. I still don't know what is wrong with his car because when I left the shop they were going to contact the owner and give him the news. I told them the broken MAF wire was a place to start.....LOL.

Heffner Performance has also fixed one of John's cars.
Some months after I’d given up on the car altogether, I got a call from Jason Heffner. I’d heard of Heffner’s cars and Bill spoke highly of him but I didn’t know too much about him other than that. Jason told me Bill had talked to him about my Viper and he wondered if I would be willing to send the car out to him to work with. He didn’t talk about money, he just said maybe he could help with the car. I sent it to him (plug for Gary Almond here--Thanks Gary!) and assured Jason that he could have it as long as he wanted it since I’d had it for five years already without it running for more than a few hours.

Again, without going into the details of what he found under the hood, Jason worked and worked and worked. He called and updated me consistently every step of the way. In the end there was a lot of work that had to be done, parts to be replaced and/or modified (the second turbo was also blown) to make it all work but the day came when he called and told me the car was finished. He felt bad that it wasn’t perfect but he said it ran “pretty well” and that he’d done everything he could do. A week later, Gary Almond delivered it to me and I can honestly say it didn’t look like the car I’d sent him. Not only had he fixed the engine and turbo system and installed all braided SS lines instead of the rubber ones it had came back to me with but he’d added an AEM EMS, installed Penske suspension (one of the many things I never received from [******] despite the legal settlement) and had the whole car wet sanded because he felt the paint “just wasn’t quite right.” When I asked him what I owed him he just asked if I’d feel comfortable covering his cost for the AEM and the Penskes. He would not take money for anything else and insisted that he just wanted to help out.

That was six months ago now. The Viper runs like I imagined it would when I sent it to John [******] five years ago. To say I think Jason Heffner is an honorable man who went way beyond the call of duty to help out a guy he didn’t even know is an understatement. Hell, he went way beyond what anyone else even offered to do for me for substantial additional money. And his work--including that on a turbo system he can’t vouch for--is exceptional. Needless to say I have nothing but the highest praise for Jason Heffner.

I realize that if I had hung out on the forums instead of just trusting the car mags before my adventures with John [******] that I probably wouldn’t have the experiences I did. But hindsight is 20/20 and I’m not complaining. What I can’t let get swept under the rug, however, is the recognition and credit for the way Bill and Jason have fought in my corner, not because they had to or were paid to, but because that is just the way they are. I said in the beginning there were many players in this story; many who turned out to be self serving, deceptive, or even downright nasty, those who turned out to be genuinely interested and helpful, and a few who were extraordinary in giving their support and giving of their time and effort with no hope for reward or compensation other than my friendship.

In any event, that’s the rest of the story. I felt it was necessary for me to finally clear the air about what really happened and to give credit to those who worked to make things right for me--especially to Bill and Jason. I’m very grateful.

Taig Stewart

You can feel free to keep touting, "Well, this industry is bad" & act like other places do this, but I welcome you to show me any of these places claim they will fly out and personally beat someone up. John gained a reputation for this because he let his mouth get him into arguments with the people his company has a vested interest in because they were not happy with the shop.
Linked due to language.
https://postimg.org/image/9g7qwvncx7/

Again, I said this up thread, but I want to address this point specifically:

What I'm saying, is I have seen nor heard anything, that doesn't also happen elsewhere. It's a terrible industry in general, to pick on one isn't quite "fair".

Yeah sure, it does happen elsewhere. I'm fairly certain that most of the well known tuning shops have at least one problem with customers having being ripped off for vehicles due to various problems that are either attributed to the shop, or to other problems out of the control of the shop. I know APR has had problems in the past. But here's the thing, however: most tuning shops at least try to fix their problems as much as they can, soothe the fears of people dropping at minimum $20,000 US for a full kitted out car like what Hennessey does to his Vipers and the like. John, however, has continued to let these complaints fester for nearly 20+ years.

It also helps that Johnny boy tries to court the gullible and looking for hit automotive websites and magazines with first drives and slick video marketing. And yet with every time Hennessey is in the limelight, these issues arise. Time and time again most comments are pointing out that he's a fraud. Most shops would probably be crippled by the consistent bad press Hennessey has gotten over the years. So why is it that Hennessey continues to live, obviously past its nine lives with the complaints going back years having rolled over from 'if there's smoke, there's fire' to 'oh my lord there's a fire burning down the whole forest'.

I am going to be brutally honest with you. You're defending a fraud, quite blatantly. Stop with the disingenuous horse **** and come out with it.

It was already guaranteed to be a soap opera even before this story just because Hennesscrew is involved.

The blatancy of the scam is what is really getting me though.

Edit: And Hennessey follows up on the Ahmad Ali scam that Jalopnik reported on:

As far as the other subjects we’ve covered about Hennessey in the past, I did ask at least one follow-up question: I asked Hennessey about a foreign buyer named Ahmad Ali who claimed to have never gotten a refund for work he said was never performed.

Hennessey has repeatedly claimed to us that the matter was settled, and that Ali hasn’t gotten a $10,000 partial refund yet due to a wire transfer issue on the former customer’s end. But Ali told us on Wednesday this explanation has happened before, and it always results in the same thing: nothing.

“They always have the bank details when they sent me the earlier payments, so how come they keep asking it always more than one time?” he said in an email, adding he’s been waiting for the refund for four years now.

Soon after we got this response from Ali, Hennessey forwarded what appears to be a receipt of a wire transfer to Ali for $10,050.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-where-john-hennessey-stands-on-that-300-mph-claim-1820931723

John Hennessy claimed he isn't sure if the Venom F5 is actually capable of achieving 300mph today.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/12/even-john-hennessey-isnt-sure-if-venom.html
If it is the tires that are limiting the car's speed, I'm not surprised. I doubt that Hennessey is going to want to spend the huge amounts of money to commission specially made tires, at least not while he still holds that Guinness record (aka the only reason the Venom even exists).

That said, does anyone actually even care about the whole "rush to 300" anymore? I thought that sputtered out when it became obvious the SSC Tuatara was just a pipe dream.

If it is the tires that are limiting the car's speed, I'm not surprised. I doubt that Hennessey is going to want to spend the huge amounts of money to commission specially made tires, at least not while he still holds that Guinness record (aka the only reason the Venom even exists).

That said, does anyone actually even care about the whole "rush to 300" anymore? I thought that sputtered out when it became obvious the SSC Tuatara was just a pipe dream.

I'd say those that are invested in it, like Bugatti and Koenigsegg, certainly are.

I'd say those that are invested in it, like Bugatti and Koenigsegg, certainly are.
I meant more along the lines of the general automotive community. Obviously hypercar makers use it as one of their main selling points, but they're also selling complete automobiles and not stripped down, barest-of-barely-legal vehicles making a shameless grab at the record books. Just the basic notion of a road-going car hitting 300 mph seems to have lost its relevance, especially when Nurburgring laptimes became the fashionable number of how "good" a car is (which now seems like it's being replaced with ridiculous 0-60 times).

Of course we already have the Divo, Valkyrie and Project One coming. But I am also very interested to see how it will compare to this also recently announced american monster and the car it will be powering: ssc-tuatara-v8.jpg

Let the games begin!:D

That is some serious power, especially the torque. I'm just curious as to how this car will keep enough traction to hit those numbers

Latest Posts

Back