Video game pet peeves.

Made worse when said objects don't consistently do it. I've run over fence sections in a race with no problems, then suddenly I hit one I've run over four times and suddenly I'm 10 feet in the air because the game didn't like the angle or something.
Or you crunch to a complete stop because a particular small bush or signpost was given a fixed collision box instead of being another physics prop, or exploding apart or clipping through like other related objects.

Unnecesarily large amounts of collideable physics props that get in your way.

I really like this game, but good lord I've had so many perfect laps and races ruined by a cardboard box or cone in the road, its infuriating!
Yes, this also bothers me.

Test Drive Off Road 2 really has this problem on some of the tracks. It uses Test Drive 4's engine which has a pretty bad physics and handling model that doesn't help with this. Love that game, but this does annoy me greatly at times.

Long hard challenges that give little to no reward.

Okay this may be a bit of a sensitive topic to tap into, but I just hate it when you can spend so much time trying to get something done and in the end you either don't get much or you don't get anything in return. Let me give some examples:

Need for Speed Most Wanted
The challenge series is a great example of this. They say in game that it is not for the "faint of heart" and well, it really isn't. It consists of 68 challenges, 70 if you include the Burger King and Black Edition challenges and about half way through it gets very hard to the point you have to practice a lot just to beat them, even with a cheat device. In the end, all you get are two cars for quick race with okay performance that you can't even customize. Which in my opinion is a total waste of time considering the amount effort it takes to beat it.

Another example in the same game is the rap sheet. When you top every single rank in it, you are literally becoming the most wanted in the entire game. What do you get for it? Nothing. You would think it would have something totally worthwhile given what the game is about, but nope it doesn't! It's just there to give you something to do when you are trying to get 100% completion of the game. (Which you also get nothing for as well)

Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars
Haven't played this game in years, but I can remember it had 130 gold bricks you had to collect in the game. Once you did, all you got was a stealth ship that frankly functioned no different than other ships already in the game. It's just another missile firing ship like the others you already have at that point. For the amount of time it takes to get them all, they could have just reused Lego City and New Town from previous games or created something new to go with them, but no, you just get a lame ship that does nothing extraordinary.

If I had to change one thing in this game, that would be the very first thing i'd go for.

OHKO Boss Moves

These usually happen near the end but I always found it annoying tht no matter how skilled you are, if you slip up even once to this move you lose regardless.

Then there is bosses like Tabuu in SSBB who can do it whenever the **** they want. You can dodge it if you're Zelda transforming into Sheik (or vice versa) the exact moment the move makes contact but thats more exploiting a mechanic than actually an intentionally designed dodge maneouver.

Not a peeve with videogames themselves, but it annoys me when a framerate-related bug is discovered and people critique devs for "tying things to framerate".

That's not how it works. Everything is technically tied to framerate, it's a matter of developers untying things from the framerate by factoring delta time into any relevant per-frame maths. It's not that developers are employing some sort of bad practice "tying" things to the framerate, it's just that it's easy to accidentally not account for delta time for some small bit of math somewhere.

Not a peeve with videogames themselves, but it annoys me when a framerate-related bug is discovered and people critique devs for "tying things to framerate".

That's not how it works. Everything is technically tied to framerate, it's a matter of developers untying things from the framerate by factoring delta time into any relevant per-frame maths. It's not that developers are employing some sort of bad practice "tying" things to the framerate, it's just that it's easy to accidentally not account for delta time for some small bit of math somewhere.

Hmm are you talking about that Vanquish bug?

Reminds me of MCLA. I remember it would have an arrow on the mini map itself pointing in the direction you should go and it felt more like a compass than anything else. I still had to pull up the map just to figure out where I was going. Why they couldn't have just put an arrow on the top middle part of the screen is beyond me. I love MCLA, but there are somethings MC3 did better.
Late to reply on this one, but blame Sega.

The patented (honestly) the concept of a floating arrow to aid navigation in video games, and they have sued numerous times over it.

Racing Games with low payouts and expensive prices on cars:
This is honestly more of an annoyance than a pet peeve, but I felt like sharing it anyway. The biggest offenders of this trait are Test Drive Unlimited 2, GT5 & 6, and Forza Horizon. I found it really annoying that I had to spend hours grinding for money or find workarounds to earn enough money in some racing games just to get an expensive car I want. For the PS3 GT titles, it really is rediculous that I have to save up 20 million CR to get a Ferrari 250 GTO or a Ford Mk.4 GT40. It was annoying that I had to exploit a glitch to get those things in GT6.

In Test Drive Unlimited 2's case, the cars weren't nearly that expensive for the most part, but it was still a boring grind to save up for some cars (and houses). The main problem was that a lot of the races had low payouts in TDU2 where TDU1 in comparison had plenty of events or challenges where I could earn plenty of money in no time. You could get $120,000 for doing a car transport mission or do a speed challenge to earn $70,000. TDU2 had transport events, but the payouts were much less. That's partially why I prefer the original TDU over TDU2; car collecting was less problematic.

This is honestly more of an annoyance than a pet peeve, but I felt like sharing it anyway. The biggest offenders of this trait are Test Drive Unlimited 2, GT5 & 6, and Forza Horizon. I found it really annoying that I had to spend hours grinding for money or find workarounds to earn enough money in some racing games just to get an expensive car I want. For the PS3 GT titles, it really is rediculous that I have to save up 20 million CR to get a Ferrari 250 GTO or a Ford Mk.4 GT40. It was annoying that I had to exploit a glitch to get those things in GT6.

In Test Drive Unlimited 2's case, the cars weren't nearly that expensive for the most part, but it was still a boring grind to save up for some cars (and houses). The main problem was that a lot of the races had low payouts in TDU2 where TDU1 in comparison had plenty of events or challenges where I could earn plenty of money in no time. You could get $120,000 for doing a car transport mission or do a speed challenge to earn $70,000. TDU2 had transport events, but the payouts were much less. That's partially why I prefer the original TDU over TDU2; car collecting was less problematic.
I think GT4 would also qualify here. It felt like almost all the early game races paid less than the cost of grabbing and setting up the car to do them with.

I think GT4 would also qualify here. It felt like almost all the early game races paid less than the cost of grabbing and setting up the car to do them with.
I honestly can't agree with you about GT4. Sure, some of the earlier events had underwhelming prize money rewards, but unlike GT5 & 6; the car prices did not get too expensive imo. The most I've had to pay for a car was 3.5 million cr for a LeMans prototype. Another reason I didn't find GT4 to be too bad in this area was the fact you could win prize cars over again including ones worth a good amount of credits such as the Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car in Capri Rally (Easy) and the Mercedes-Benz CLK LM from winning the DTM championship (using B-Spec mode with a modified DTM car).

I honestly can't agree with you about GT4. Sure, some of the earlier events had underwhelming prize money rewards, but unlike GT5 & 6; the car prices did not get too expensive imo. The most I've had to pay for a car was 3.5 million cr for a LeMans prototype. Another reason I didn't find GT4 to be too bad in this area was the fact you could win prize cars over again including ones worth a good amount of credits such as the Toyota RSC Rally Raid Car in Capri Rally (Easy) and the Mercedes-Benz CLK LM from winning the DTM championship (using B-Spec mode with a modified DTM car).
I agree, I mean 600 Cr. for the Sunday Cup? WHAT!!! At least the prize car was sellible for a good price to do some early grinding.

"Select Nationality/Region. Rest of World". Why? it's just a simple flag icon and text. Can't you provide me with the actual name and flag of my country?? I want to reprezent!

Long hard challenges that give little to no reward.

Okay this may be a bit of a sensitive topic to tap into, but I just hate it when you can spend so much time trying to get something done and in the end you either don't get much or you don't get anything in return. Let me give some examples:

Need for Speed Most Wanted
The challenge series is a great example of this. They say in game that it is not for the "faint of heart" and well, it really isn't. It consists of 68 challenges, 70 if you include the Burger King and Black Edition challenges and about half way through it gets very hard to the point you have to practice a lot just to beat them, even with a cheat device. In the end, all you get are two cars for quick race with okay performance that you can't even customize. Which in my opinion is a total waste of time considering the amount effort it takes to beat it.

Another example in the same game is the rap sheet. When you top every single rank in it, you are literally becoming the most wanted in the entire game. What do you get for it? Nothing. You would think it would have something totally worthwhile given what the game is about, but nope it doesn't! It's just there to give you something to do when you are trying to get 100% completion of the game. (Which you also get nothing for as well)

Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars
Haven't played this game in years, but I can remember it had 130 gold bricks you had to collect in the game. Once you did, all you got was a stealth ship that frankly functioned no different than other ships already in the game. It's just another missile firing ship like the others you already have at that point. For the amount of time it takes to get them all, they could have just reused Lego City and New Town from previous games or created something new to go with them, but no, you just get a lame ship that does nothing extraordinary.

If I had to change one thing in this game, that would be the very first thing i'd go for.
One thing I totally forgot about was the Sparx Panic mini game from Spyro Season of Flame for the Gameboy Advance. You have to beat the whole game to unlock it, and in the end, it's pretty underwhelming for the trouble it took to get there. Elder refers to it as a "special surprise" in the game, but I think Elder is greatly mistaken. Sure it's a GBA game, but surely they could have done something more worthwhile than that.

Late to reply on this one, but blame Sega.

The patented (honestly) the concept of a floating arrow to aid navigation in video games, and they have sued numerous times over it.
Are you serious?! I thought EA had a problem with the Porsche license, but that is just ridiculous! 👎

Agreed. GT5 was bad about having overpriced cars and even if you did a good paying B Spec seasonal event, it still took forever to get the money for them. That stupid credit cap certainly didn't help either. Why does the Miura even cost 15 million anyways?!

My memory of GT6 is fuzzy, but it didn't seem to get much better than GT5 either. Haven't played it in years though.

I kind of agree. I can remember playing the Sunday cup for the first time and seeing it only gave 600 credits.

True. The fact you can win cars and sell them for big cash was something GT4 had over later titles, I used to win the RSC's as well. However it does get tiresome doing the same races over and over again after a while. At least the cars aren't as hideously overpriced as they are in GT5 and GT6.

This literally happened to me just now (I searched this after what happened so I didn't know what's coming). And no, I don't want to restart it. I'm playing on Authentic so it's a bit more tedious. I'll just play another game.

Recently been playing my non-Mario Kart Kart racers CTR and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. While I love both games both have a problem that peeves me a lot and this also applies to Mario Kart Wii.

Items doing way too much or too little damage where getting hit gets you penalized for it either way to harshly or not at all.

In CTR, sure you can dodge TNT and the idea of the potion switching your item if you have one on is cute and unique. If you get hit by a Nitro, Bomb or Rocket (especially the Rockets since they auto-aim), the time you lose spinning out really hurts but since these are all common (except Nitro) you can get hit by these multiple times that it's impossible to get some of comfort position and instead get thrown all over position. This might be because I'm playing through as Tiny Tiger who sucks at everything but Top Speed but when in the lead I should be able to use my Speed to gain some distance to take a hit but you get peltered by these items too much, it brings you straight down to 0 and the timing feels lole it takes forever.

Then there is Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing which is only challenging since it relies on rubber banding A.I without it you can run straight threw everything, you might spin out but you keep almost ALL of your momentum for it to matter.

In Mario Kart Wii, too many items screw over the higher place drivers and due to how defences work, no one in the high places can really do anything to each other relying on POW or Blue Shells from last place or so to compete.

Recently been playing my non-Mario Kart Kart racers CTR and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. While I love both games both have a problem that peeves me a lot and this also applies to Mario Kart Wii.

Items doing way too much or too little damage where getting hit gets you penalized for it either way to harshly or not at all.

In CTR, sure you can dodge TNT and the idea of the potion switching your item if you have one on is cute and unique. If you get hit by a Nitro, Bomb or Rocket (especially the Rockets since they auto-aim), the time you lose spinning out really hurts but since these are all common (except Nitro) you can get hit by these multiple times that it's impossible to get some of comfort position and instead get thrown all over position. This might be because I'm playing through as Tiny Tiger who sucks at everything but Top Speed but when in the lead I should be able to use my Speed to gain some distance to take a hit but you get peltered by these items too much, it brings you straight down to 0 and the timing feels lole it takes forever.

Then there is Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing which is only challenging since it relies on rubber banding A.I without it you can run straight threw everything, you might spin out but you keep almost ALL of your momentum for it to matter.

In Mario Kart Wii, too many items screw over the higher place drivers and due to how defences work, no one in the high places can really do anything to each other relying on POW or Blue Shells from last place or so to compete.
Slightly offtopic, but if memory serves, Tiny is actually considered to be the best at everything by professional gamers because bad handling actually enables you to boost better on straightaways, and therefore go faster. :dopey:

Wall weapons appearing in the mystery box.
Call of Duty World at War has this problem and so does Black Ops 3. I find it to be so pointless to include them when you can just buy them off the wall and to make matters worse, some weapons you end up paying more than you would buying it off the wall. Like in Black Ops 3, to open the mystery box it cost 950 points and the Sheiva cost 500 points off the wall. By getting it from the box, you're paying almost twice as much for that gun when you could have just bought it at the starting room for less.

When I go to the mystery box, I go there to get weapons that are exclusive to the box itself, not to pay more for weapons I could just buy off the wall for less. Black Ops and Black Ops II thankfully didn't have this problem, I don't know why Treyarch decided to take a step back and do this again on Black Ops III. It's just pointless, a waste of time and a waste of points to include them when you could be getting them off the wall for less as well as getting a much better weapon from the box itself.

Last edited:
Slightly offtopic, but if memory serves, Tiny is actually considered to be the best at everything by professional gamers because bad handling actually enables you to boost better on straightaways, and therefore go faster. :dopey:
Problem was mainly at the poor acceleration which does make it harder to pick up speed. That's why I said it could just be my character that's the problem.

I guess the poor handling leading to straight boosts makes sort of sense since I just dominate in Sewer Speedway, however there are tracks like Papus Pyramid which corner's are so confined it makes it very difficult to navigate.

Ammunition in current chamber not being refilled after buying ammo or getting max ammo in Call of Duty Zombies.
This is a problem that has been around since World at War zombies and still exists in Black Ops 3 zombies for some reason. If you have fired off a few shots without reloading and then either buy ammo or get the max ammo power up, well it doesn't refill the ammo in your chamber. The only way you can actually get max ammo is to reload and then buy ammo or get the max ammo power up. This can be a problem at times because it eventually gets to where every shot counts in zombies. It gets much worse when you have weapons with low ammnuntion like the Wunderwaffe DG2 for example.

I really don't know why they don't fix this. Nightmares in Black Ops 3 actually refills all your ammo, heck even Black Ops for the Nintendo DS does it too, why not everything else in zombies?!

Games thst feature "Choices" but always end on the same point.

This one of the reasons why I hate Life is Strange, no matter what you do to impact other peoples lives (despite promoting the butterfly effect) it always ends on the same one because you time manipulated so a tornado shows up. I remember when people were 🤬 when Mass Effect pulled the same thing.

Until Dawn was similar however, at least your actions caused a shift on who lives and die as well as the fate of the antagonist.

People who quit online lobbies when a game does not start immediately.
Agreed. I can remember playing WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 on the Wii when it was online, if I had to go back and change something, even for a moment, they would get impatient and leave. Pretty annoying, but not as annoying as this:

When someone quits in an online game because they don't want to lose.
In WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 online, I can remember if I would play somebody and I would totally dominant, they would be a sore loser and leave because they don't want to lose. This happened a lot and I hated it when they did that. This is WWE for crying out loud, it's a challenging game and if you can't stand losing, you probably shouldn't be playing it. (especially in an online match)

Last edited:
Forza Horizon 3 pet peeve, Forzathons that require doing online coop to unlock a car. *facepalm*
I LOATHE them, because whenever I can do the event; noone on my friend list is available and I have to resort to playing with randoms. Where I can end up dealing with annoying people that just want to play bumper cars.

Shooter games that don't allow you switch between 1st or 3rd person view.
Though it don't bother me like it used to, it has bugged me for a long time. I can remember playing Red Faction for the first time when I was young and I did not like how it was in 1st person since I couldn't see around me too well and couldn't really see what my player looked like either. So I asked my cousin if he could change it and he couldn't, which bummed me since I have a preference for 3rd person. Ever since, I've always had a problem with games that don't provide the option to switch between the two. The Call of Duty Series is about the only one where I actually prefer it in 1st person, especially since the 3rd person mode is so bad if you hack it, other than that, I prefer 3rd. I know I probably could say more, but this is all I can think of for now.

Now I understand some could argue that being able to switch between them would be unfair to 1st person players since the ones that use 3rd person have a wider field of view, but is it really bad enough to exclude the ability to switch in my opinion? No!

Last edited:
Shooter games that don't allow you switch between 1st or 3rd person view.
Though it don't bother me like it used to, it has bugged me for a long time. I can remember playing Red Faction for the first time when I was young and I did not like how it was in 1st person since I couldn't see around me too well and couldn't really see what my player looked like either. So I asked my cousin if he could change it and he couldn't, which bummed since I have a preference for 3rd person. Ever since, I've always had a problem with games that don't provide the option to switch between the two. The Call of Duty Series is about the only one where I actually prefer it in 1st person, especially since the 3rd person mode is so bad if you hack it, other than that, I prefer 3rd. I know I probably could say more, but this is all I can think of for now.

Now I understand some could argue that being able to switch between them would be unfair to 1st person players since the ones that use 3rd person have a wider field of view, but is it really bad enough to exclude the ability to switch in my opinion? No!
I remember Ratchet & Clank 3 having both modes for the multiplayer, no one played First Person for that reason.

The issue is that shooters designed to be more first person like to go for the more immersion factor and having the option of third person would likely mean no one would do first person and experience what the game tried to intend. While third person shooters having the option of first person would be almost redundant, I remember when people were hyped for GTA first person mode but no one actually used it past the first week.

I remember Ratchet & Clank 3 having both modes for the multiplayer, no one played First Person for that reason.
What reason are you referring to?
The issue is that shooters designed to be more first person like to go for the more immersion factor and having the option of third person would likely mean no one would do first person and experience what the game tried to intend. While third person shooters having the option of first person would be almost redundant, I remember when people were hyped for GTA first person mode but no one actually used it past the first week.
I can understand where you're coming from to be honest. I have used a hack before on several Call of Duty games for 3rd person and I didn't like it. Yes it's obviously not designed for that, but even if it was, I still would probably stick to 1st person. (And this is coming from someone who prefers 3rd person)

In the original Star Wars Battlefront II I can remember switching to 1st person instead of 3rd and I didn't really like it either. Especially since you have the scope view on guns that don't even have scopes, which is weird. :odd:

Still, considering people have different preferences, being able to appease both sides is in my opinion a step in the right direction for any shooter game.

Last edited:
I was referring to how people will only choose 1 or the other.

While it would be good for eople's preference in the end of the day, it's a waste of resources, like you said about Call of Duty, both sides are different and I don't think people want to build both and then balance them especially if it's not the aim of the game (like immersion)
What reason are you referring to?
I can understand where you're coming from to be honest. I have used a hack before on several Call of Duty games for 3rd person and I didn't like it. Yes it's obviously not designed for that, but even if it was, I still would probably stick to 1st person. (And this is coming from someone who prefers 3rd person)

In the original Star Wars Battlefront II I can remember switching to 1st person instead of 3rd and I didn't really like it either. Especially since you have the scope view on guns that don't even have scopes, which is weird. :odd:

Still, considering people have different preferences and being able to appease both sides is in my opinion a step in the right direction for any shooter game.

Back