Video game pet peeves.

Anything that runs at 60FPS. I recently saw the Wolfenstein 2 trailer (which I'm guessing is running at 60FPS) and it was extremely odd to look at. The same thing applies to games. I much prefer a smooth 30FPS.

So you guys don't like 30 FPS huh? I remember 3 months ago I played Assetto Corsa on lowest graphics with 11 FPS... and I still enjoyed it. :D A lot.

To be honest, I think the whole FPS debate is a bit of a "much of a muchness". It's never really bothered me personally, as I've always struggled to tell the difference straight away. I've certainly been able to switch from a 60 to 30FPS game comfortably, but the visual side of things has never been top of my priorities when gaming. Though granted, the advantage can be nice when you have it.

I think it's probably the same here, as I still fairly regularly play older games, more so PS1 than PS2. Couple that with the fact I've never really had the most high end of setups regarding TV's, so it's sort of made me "numb" towards the changes if that makes sense.

60 FPS probably would look very odd to someone who is used to 30. I wouldn't say that 30 FPS is stuttery, per se. It is technically less smooth than 60 FPS, as the latter draws twice as many frames. That being said, I do respect how someone wouldn't like higher framerates (especially if they regularly use older equipment).

I will admit, I actually don't like how smooth the PC version of Star Wars Battlefront 2 runs because it makes the PS2 version look and feel so bad in comparison, it ruins it for me. I have played the PS2 version for over a decade whereas the PC version, I have barely touched, so it's not difficult to imagine why I am used to the PS2 version which I assume runs at 30 FPS and the PC version is 60 FPS. I will be honest, if I can find a way to limit the FPS to 30 on the PC version, I will very well consider it.

(And yes I am aware what I just said is VERY weird and yes I am serious)

I will admit, I actually don't like how smooth the PC version of Star Wars Battlefront 2 runs because it makes the PS2 version look and feel so bad in comparison, it ruins it for me. I have played the PS2 version for over a decade whereas the PC version, I have barely touched, so it's not difficult to imagine why I am used to the PS2 version which I assume runs at 30 FPS and the PC version is 60 FPS. I will be honest, if I can find a way to limit the FPS to 30 on the PC version, I will very well consider it.

(And yes I am aware what I just said is VERY weird and yes I am serious)
I still don't really understand why you would willingly cap your framerate at 30FPS, but this can usually be done through software.

I personally find it a bit hard going back to old PS1 and PS2 games that run at 30 FPS. It just feels so...laggy.

More frames per second = more fun per second. :P

But if a game is compelling, low FPS is not a dealbreaker for me by any means... I'll still gladly play Perfect Dark N64 multiplayer despite the single-digit average framerate.

Unregulated in-game auction houses. Especially when the game's economy is based around it. Makes it exploitative to those who just want to abuse it.

For me, I find the Forza series frustrating. Purposely making cars "rare" so in game scalpers will purposely try to abuse the system and make the most money. The Specialty Dealer in FM7 turns me off from bothering to buy the game. A car that was once just a normal purchase is now "rare" just for the sake of the stupid auction house. If there's a car I want in the game, I want to know I can get it when I want to. Rather than hoping people won't charge 20 million credits because of the demand. It doesn't feel rewarding to make items/cars rare in a game. (Though, there are some occasions where it'll work just fine. Though preferably with games that don't have auction houses)

This has turned me away from so many games, new ones and those that I'm already playing, so much. I just can't stand it, it's boring.
Cuphead does a good job with the bullet sponge part - mainly because you're far more concerned with dodging the bazillion attacks the bosses launch at you.

Rubberbanding AI Opponents / Speed Boost

Oh my, so many times dealing with this in racing games it hurts me to death. While playing Initial D: Arcade Stage 6 - Legend Chapters. The AI in the middle of the course use a Bunta boost technique that no one would keep up with, even if you run a solid run you'll never catch them if you get passed. I get so frustrated when that happens.

Been meaning to reply to this.
I still don't really understand why you would willingly cap your framerate at 30FPS, but this can usually be done through software.
Well if it were any other game, it probably wouldn't matter as much to me, but Battlefront II is a very different story. For the past 11 years I have had it on the PS2, it's become quite a staple for me in terms of gaming and it's seen more playtime than most of the games I own, even in this day and age. Being used to the PS2 version for so long and then going to the PC version is a bit of an odd experience for me, hence where this strange preference comes from.

I can't remember if it was my last computer or my new one, but I noticed if I put anti aliasing at max, my game would have lag spikes despite my computer having more than enough to run at max settings. Perhaps limiting it could reduce this, but I don't know for sure.
I personally find it a bit hard going back to old PS1 and PS2 games that run at 30 FPS. It just feels so...laggy.
Never bothered me, of course I have a console preference.

Last edited:
I've got three other things I hate:

1 - People who use the analogue sticks to navigate menus:
I know this is about players rather than games, but I absolutely despise these people. I hate it almost as much as I do to people who litter and people who give you Pepsi when you asked for Coca-Cola. And for the last time to those people, they ARE NOT the same.

2 - Cocky PC Master Race/Fanboy people:
Yes, I know that PC gaming has better graphics and framerates. Yes, I know it's mostly cheaper. No, I don't care about your stupid sassiness and your constant calling of console players 'peasants'.

The same applies to console fanboys, especially the younger ones and Xbox fanboys like Crapgamerreviews.

3 - No option for manual saving:
This one is actually about games. I absolutely hate games that don't let you save the game manually like Gran Turismo and GTA. I know that autosave was a great idea but with it I never feel my data is secure. In fact, I often go into the settings menu to force it to save, even if it doesn't save my progress with it.

I've got three other things I hate:

1 - People who use the analogue sticks to navigate menus:
I know this is about players rather than games, but I absolutely despise these people. I hate it almost as much as I do to people who litter and people who give you Pepsi when you asked for Coca-Cola. And for the last time to those people, they ARE NOT the same.

2 - Cocky PC Master Race/Fanboy people:
Yes, I know that PC gaming has better graphics and framerates. Yes, I know it's mostly cheaper. No, I don't care about your stupid sassiness and your constant calling of console players 'peasants'.

The same applies to console fanboys, especially the younger ones and Xbox fanboys like Crapgamerreviews.

3 - No option for manual saving:
This one is actually about games. I absolutely hate games that don't let you save the game manually like Gran Turismo and GTA. I know that autosave was a great idea but with it I never feel my data is secure. In fact, I often go into the settings menu to force it to save, even if it doesn't save my progress with it.
1. Pepsi sucks! I sometimes use the anolog sticks for menus though. Especially if it moves a cursor like a mouse.
2. I was never full on PC master race, but did use the hashtag jokingly. Ive actually recently come back to console for most of my online and casual gaming, cant stand how much modding and hacking ruins the online experience in most online games. Oh, and pc gaming is in no way cheaper. Or easier. I mean, i oaid more for just my graphics card than i did forna PS4 pro. And it was only a 1070.
3. Yep, dont like that either. Autosave is good and all. But sometimes things get weird and having a manual save to be sure its saved would be nice. Ive definitely been in situations where it would have been nice to have that in GTA5.

Not sure if ive said this one or not. I cant stand! stupidly unbreakable things. GTA is grewat for this. I can knock down a freaking steel street light pole on a motorcycle, but that little wood sign can take a direct blast from an MRAP and stop it dead in its tracks...

Last edited:
Unskippable ending credits:

On the rare occasion I actually finish a game these days (don't judge) the last thing I want is to get held hostage by a list of people who I don't really care about. I get it, your proud of your work, but most people won't care to remember your names unless your a lead dev like say Kaz or Kojima, in which case they'll likely have heard about them through other means. Bonus points for having mid or after credit scenes. Metal Gear in particular being a known offender.

On the rare occasion I actually finish a game these days (don't judge) the last thing I want is to get held hostage by a list of people who I don't really care about. I get it, your proud of your work, but most people won't care to remember your names unless your a lead dev like say Kaz or Kojima, in which case they'll likely have heard about them through other means. Bonus points for having mid or after credit scenes. Metal Gear in particular being a known offender.
One game i remember being really bad for this is AC Revelations, which has over 20 minutes (possibly much more) of unskippable credits

Yes! I was playing Crash Bandicoot 3 a while back and the ending credits for that game just go on way too long with no way to skip it, predictably I got pretty tired of waiting. I have had similar frustrations with Crash Bandicoot 2 as well.

Thankfully the N'Sane Trilogy doesn't even show them after beating the game. I mean I agree with what you said, but I don't miss having to wait on them to end like I did in the originals.

I don't mind unskippable credits on their own, because there ARE ways to make them interesting (minigames, fun epilogue scenes, etc.). It's more egregious when it's just generic screenshots or artwork that gets covered up by endlessly scrolling text, or worse, just the credits on a blank background so there's literally nothing else to look at.

I don't mind unskippable credits on their own, because there ARE ways to make them interesting (minigames, fun epilogue scenes, etc.). It's more egregious when it's just generic screenshots or artwork that gets covered up by endlessly scrolling text, or worse, just the credits on a blank background so there's literally nothing else to look at.
Assassins creed games have been bad about that last bit.

What about games that don't continue from "The End"? Beat the game, sit through credits, reach that screen...and realize after sitting there for a few minutes it is not going back to the main menu.

Features that needlessly require the internet.
Not really talking about games being online only, more like certain features that require you to be connected for in my opinion illogical reasons. 3 things come to mind:
  • GT5's Museum Feature. This feature was cool, but now that the servers are gone, you can't even use it anymore. I really cannot think of any logical reason for this.
  • GT6's Custom Tracks. Servers may not be down yet, but they soon will be. Now I haven't raced on them much, but if I got it right, we won't be able to race on them once the servers go down because you can't use them offline. (Granted we don't get a patch to fix this)
  • Mule Kick in Call of Duty Black Ops. Pretty much what I said about GT5's Museum, except the servers are still up.

Last edited:
I get really annoyed by orb collecting. Trying to express the abstraction of XP or currency collection as some kind of orb like light, that irrationally sucks into your body is ridiculous and makes any game look like a rave. And it serves no practical function to visualize XP collection as if your some kind of trash collecting hobo who intermittently picks junk off of the floor while killing waves of mad men.

I get really annoyed by orb collecting. Trying to express the abstraction of XP or currency collection as some kind of orb like light, that irrationally sucks into your body is ridiculous and makes any game look like a rave. And it serves no practical function to visualize XP collection as if your some kind of trash collecting hobo who intermittently picks junk off of the floor while killing waves of mad men.

Are you saying if you saw a glowing, floating orb in front of you irl, you wouldn't try and interact with it at all?

Money Droughts.
Basically whenever you beat something, like a career, story or event, and you get little to no money for it when you do it again later. 3 games I know have this issue, Star Wars Racer Revenge, Need for Speed Carbon and Need for Speed Undercover.
  • Star Wars Racer Revenge. After you beat it with whatever character you choose, you can't get anymore money at all afterwards to upgrade your pod racer. I imagine they did this so that way each one you use will be unique in performance once it's all said and done and to be fair, I can understand that. Still, it kind of sucks.
  • Need for Speed Carbon. Easily the most infamous for this. Their really aren't many things I think Carbon did worse than Most Wanted, but the money you get after beating a race you already did previously is one of the few things I could name. After you beat a race, you will only get $500 for it if you do it again later. That is a problem especially once you have beat all the races in the career and you're trying to get the $1,000,000 reward card. Sure you have these outrun races you can do, but you have to wait nearly two minutes before someone arrives and in the end you only get $1000 for it. It's a test of patience to say the least. They probably didn't want the reward card to be too easy since later races give as much as $20,000, which I can understand, but they shouldn't have lowered the prize money as low as they did.
  • Need for Speed Undercover. Pretty much like Carbon was (which is ironic since it was built upon it), you only get $500 for playing the races you already beat. I can forgive Undercover though because they have this Chasedown mode you can do using a cop car and depending on how fast you get it done, it pays pretty well. Still it has the money drought in the end and i'd be happier if it didn't.
About all I can think of for now.

Last edited:
Sorry i haven't read through all the posts to see if this has been mentioned before.

This is more of a game designer peeve, the light bar on the ps4 controller changing colour when the engine revs up and down on a game... Who is that for? because I cant see it when i`m playing.:banghead::banghead::banghead::boggled:

Back