Video game pet peeves.

I was referring to how people will only choose 1 or the other.

While it would be good for eople's preference in the end of the day, it's a waste of resources, like you said about Call of Duty, both sides are different and I don't think people want to build both and then balance them especially if it's not the aim of the game (like immersion)
I imagine it would be difficult to introduce another view in a game that is already pretty much set for the other one. However, if the next Star Wars Battlefront was to be one or the other instead of both like it was before, i'd be mad. (I know their was more I was going to say, but I can't remember it all right now)

You make a very interesting point, but still, I stand by what I said earlier.

Last edited:
Story Characters being unlocked near the end of the game.

I'm not talking about characters you can unlock in the post-game as the are more secret, but characters that are relevant to the plot but you don't get them until you're near the end making them pointless to the story and really should've been post-game characters.

Smash Bros. Brawl has Sonic unlocked right before the final boss while recently in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Yoshi isn't unlocked until halfway through the final world.

Back tracking in Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3.
One problem I have recently had in both games is if I take a gem path or skull route to get the crates I need for the gem, it will take me further in the level once i'm done. As a result, I have to back track to get the crates from the original route in order to get the gem. The camera does not seem to take it very well and it's very aggravating and tedious at times. I really hope the remaster is improved with it's camera whenever I have to back track again, it's quite a pain in the originals.

True. At least it ain't like the first, but still, It's aggravating having to back track to get the extra crates for a gem.

Speaking of which....
Long hard challenges that give little to no reward.
If their is anything that belongs here, it's the alternate ending to Crash Bandicoot! How it goes is, you have to get all the gems in the game by breaking all the crates on each level and doing so without dying once. Okay, just beating the levels alone was easily one of the hardest things I have done in years, I only did it by using "other means" of the running the game and it was still very hard. Getting all the gems in the game? FORGET IT! Caddicarus once said that getting all the gems would be the hardest thing you ever do in gaming and well, I strongly believe him. After going through all that trouble, all it really does is bypass Cortex (who isn't even all that hard), and give you an alternate ending to the game.

Is the alternate ending nice? Yes. Is it worth all the trouble it takes to get it? NOT IN A MILLION YEARS! Now I don't play Crash Bandicoot expecting "big rewards", but this is just far too difficult and it's just not worth the insane amounts of trouble it takes by any stretch of the imagination.

Inconsistent Competitive Decisions

Pokemon is weird this way, some Pokemon can't learn moves or have abilities that perhaps they should know mainly because they fear the Pokemon will be to imbalance, yet there are some Pokemon where that logic is thrown out the window and make 🤬 like Mega Kangaskhan and giving Volcarona so much utility with its moveset which is all just advantages.

Force pull not working correctly in Star Wars Battlefront II.
While it has been a while since I have played Battlefront II again, this one pet peeve I have always had with it. It's rather fickle and unreliable with only a 50/50 chance of ever working for me. I can be a short (but not too short) distance away and it won't work, but if I am far away it works just fine. When it wants to work, it's great because it only pulls enemy's to you and not allies close to you so you can kill them. It's too bad it doesn't always work properly because I have more use for it than force push since it doesn't effect my teammates as force push does.

I am not sure if their is a trick to it I just haven't taken the time to figure out or not, but force pull always has been less reliable than force push for me over the years.

Last edited:
I can think of my own reasons, but could you expand on that a bit?
It annoys me a bit that every character looks too good, can do everything, has some kind of special ability, etc. I haven't seen an average character in a game.

I know this sounds weird, and I guess you think I'm an idiot, but... :guilty:

It annoys me a bit that every character looks too good, can do everything, has some kind of special ability, etc. I haven't seen an average character in a game.

That? Nah, I figured that was the main idea. :cheers:

*cough* Meta Knight, Smash Bros. Brawl *cough*

I'm not sure on how to word this but floors that are not solid. I just lost a legendary in borderlands 2 because the dang gun hit an area that was not solid. Weirdly mapped controls are another one every game uses x to open something now you want to use traingle?.

As long as the game isn't catered towards making you have to buy them to progress unless you want to do 50 hours of grinding, I find them easy to ignore.

Racing games overusing new features or putting them in scenarios where they make no sense.

This is usually limited to simple rain, something that doesn't happen too frequently in real life, but in PC2 they've expanded it to include snow as well. I do quite like that inclusion and think it's something neat to mess with on the side. However, having career mode races take place on snow covered race tracks in a game whose main selling point is simulation just seems rather odd and annoying (especially when it's messed up like it currently is).

Rebel leaders not spawning correctly in Star Wars Battlefront II campaign.
I can remember the games campaign, one mission on the planet Yavin required you to kill the rebel leaders as one of the objectives. Okay, the game has a known glitch where the leaders don't spawn correctly and while you see the yellow arrows pointing where they are and they are even moving around some, you cannot see them or kill them. As a result, you cannot beat the mission and you pretty much have to restart. Not sure what causes this or how to get around it besides restarting until they show, but it's a gamebreaking glitch for sure.

Now I am aware the "leaders" are essentially just Bothan Spies and I know about their ability to make themselves invisible, however that ability does not last forever. I know that ability is not the problem here because they can't attack you and you can't attack them when the glitch happens, heck you can't even bump into them. My theory is they spawn under the map which may explain why I still see the arrow moving despite not seeing the enemies.

Last edited:
Rebel leaders not spawning correctly in Star Wars Battlefront II campaign.
I can remember the games campaign, one mission on the planet Yavin required you to kill the rebel leaders as the last objective. Okay, the game has a known glitch where the leaders don't spawn correctly and while you see the yellow arrows pointing where they are and they are even moving around some, you cannot see them or kill them. As a result, you cannot beat the mission and you pretty much have to restart. Not sure what causes this or how to get around it besides restarting until they show, but it's a gamebreaking glitch for sure.

Now I am aware the "leaders" are essentially just Bothan Spies and I know about their ability to make themselves invisible, however that ability does not last forever. I know that ability is not the problem here because they can't attack you and you can't attack them when the glitch happens, heck you can't even bump into them. My theory is they spawn under the map which may explain why I still see the arrow moving despite not seeing the enemies.
... I'd have to toss it back in to be certain, but I thought that the last objective was to destroy the rebellion's computers, but even if I'm (likely) wrong I've never had that happen.

When you're playing 4+ players online and are still very much alone.

Had a 5 player Mario Kart 7 session today. Since I was in a different skill level in comparison to others, the 4 were having a fun time scratching and clawing their away to the top against each other. I was at the top driving like it was time trials hearing everyone having so much more fun behind me, felt lonely.

... I'd have to toss it back in to be certain, but I thought that the last objective was to destroy the rebellion's computers, but even if I'm (likely) wrong I've never had that happen.
You know, now that you mention it I think you're right, i'll edit my post. Like I said, it's been a while since I have played Battlefront II again and it has been years since I played the campaign. As for the glitch, it's happened to me before several times and I have seen others complain about it too. Out of curiousity, what system is yours for? (Mine is the PS2 version)

Unlockables through a webpage.

Been recently been playing V8 Supercars/DTM/TOCA Race Driver 3 and unlocking all the content is annoying. You can apparently short cut it but you have to use webpages that now no longer exist.

Thankful that you get DTM and V8 Supercars almost instantly in the V8 Supercars version of the game.

Forza Horizon 3 peeve-being gifted the Super Trofeo Huracan except its DLC and I need to buy a whole DLC pack to use it. That's a bit annoying.

Been playing a lot of GTA5 lately and my peeve being your character having an annoying friend like Lamar in GTA5. If you're annoying but in a funny way then that's somewhat appealing but Lamar was just downright annoying. I spent most of the game hoping he'd get shot and we could all move on from his annoying gangster wannabe ass.

You know, now that you mention it I think you're right, i'll edit my post. Like I said, it's been a while since I have played Battlefront II again and it has been years since I played the campaign. As for the glitch, it's happened to me before several times and I have seen others complain about it too. Out of curiousity, what system is yours for? (Mine is the PS2 version)
PS2 as well. The only problem I've had was the BGM glitching out from time to time.

Unlockables through a webpage.
Reminds of when they used to have the Edge Shave Gel Camaro in GT5. I remember you had to go to their website to get it. Gosh, I still cannot stop kicking myself for not getting it when I had the chance! :banghead: I really hate unobtainable DLC.

Probably not the same situation as yours, but it still involves using a webpage.
PS2 as well. The only problem I've had was the BGM glitching out from time to time.
Mine does that too, probably because of the countless hours me and my brother have put into it for the past 10 years. I am surprised the disc still works after all this time. Luckily I have a softmodded PS2.

Last edited:
When a game doesn't use the correct sound effects for certain things.
Okay, this is probably me being picky, but it's something that always bothered me in the Lego Star Wars games and possibly more. Like in Lego Star Wars the first, Padme's and the battle droids blasters have that special sound much like they did in the movies, which I loved. However in Lego Star Wars II, they changed the sounds of their blasters to something not even close and I really have no idea why they did this, but it feels so wrong! (Especially for the battle droids) I am convinced The Complete Saga was built upon the 2nd because it has the exact same problem. Even more annoying, I have checked the game files for The Complete Saga and the blaster sounds are present, but they don't even use them! WHY?!

I haven't played Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars in years, but one thing I remember is Boba Fett's Slave 1 ship had the Tie Fighters blaster sound instead of that signature sound it usually has. Seriously, how do you screw that up?! This ain't the worst pet peeve for me, but it's something I still have a problem with especially since they had it right and then changed it.

Last edited:
When a game doesn't use the correct sound effects for certain things.
Okay, this is probably me being picky, but it's something that always bothered me in the Lego Star Wars games and possibly more. Like in Lego Star Wars the first, Padme's and the battle droids blasters have that signature sound much like they did in the movies, which I loved. However in Lego Star Wars II, they changed the sounds of their blasters to something not even close and I really have no idea why they did this, but it feels so wrong! (Especially for the battle droids) I am convinced The Complete Saga was built upon the 2nd because it has the exact same problem. Even more annoying, I have checked game files for The Complete Saga and the blaster sounds are present, but they don't even use them! WHY?!

I haven't played Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars in years, but one thing I remember is Boba Fett's Slave 1 ship had the Tie Fighters blaster sound instead of that signature sound it usually has. Seriously, how do you screw that up?! This ain't the worst pet peeve for me, but it's something I still have a problem with especially since they had it right and then changed it.

Well, it just goes to show that the sound designers had the right intentions, but just made some oversights that wouldn't be caught unless they were hardcore fans. I love the sounds in Battlefront 2015 because you could ALWAYS tell what kind of blaster is near you. That was crucial for situational awareness. In games like Battlefield and Call of Duty, the sounds are very similar and blend into one another, making it hard to tell if you're running into an LMG or assault rifle. With Star Wars, almost every gun stands out from the rest.

Dan
Well, it just goes to show that the sound designers had the right intentions, but just made some oversights that wouldn't be caught unless they were hardcore fans.
Perhaps. I hate it had to be those two because the sounds the battle droids have in The Complete Saga doesn't even sound remotely close. It feels very out of place when you are fighting a bunch of them on Naboo for example. That and the 2nd are the only ones I know that ever got them wrong. As for Padme's blaster, that is one of my all time favorites and I think I used to play as her just to hear it. Considering she doesn't even have it anymore in the other two, that's obviously a problem. I know they aren't the only ones that have this problem though.

I did notice when going through the game files for The Complete Saga for the Wii that the character stats (Which included blaster sounds) were stored on text files. It's possible I could alter the files and restore the sounds they are supposed to have.
Dan
I love the sounds in Battlefront 2015 because you could ALWAYS tell what kind of blaster is near you. That was crucial for situational awareness. In games like Battlefield and Call of Duty, the sounds are very similar and blend into one another, making it hard to tell if you're running into an LMG or assault rifle. With Star Wars, almost every gun stands out from the rest.
Indeed. Lego Star Wars games as well as the original Battlefront games are also good examples. It really comes in handy in Star Wars Battlefront II with all the different weapons they have.

Last edited:
1) Little/no attention to the user experience (menus, game flow, content)

This is one my biggest peeves, think it can be overlooked too easily, as it's about the "whole package" so if a game is easy to interact with and flows nicely, then it can really make a difference.

Menu interaction is one of the biggest aspects of a game IMO. As a poorly designed, or dull menu design can detract from things somewhat. Using Gran Turismo as an easy example, GT6's main menu is probably a great example of this. Don't get me wrong, it's really easy to navigate, and pretty much everything's there, but it's just so dull and lifeless in it's appearance, just seemed to functional.

I think the effect was amplified more coming from GT5, and generally GT2 onwards, where the menus were not only plenty easy enough to navigate, but beautifully set out and pleasing on the eye. Generally the menus were (and should be) a nice place to be. To be fair it's something PD have usually done well, is creating that "atmosphere" with GT's menu's

Either way, what I'm saying is that I think the menu interaction side of things is key part of a game that can be overlooked, as it can really set the tone for the rest of the game. Perhaps I've gone a bit OTT with the idea I don't know :lol:.

Back