Video game pet peeves.

I was worried I wouldn't enjoy Halo Infinite's open world nature that feels a bit too much like Far Cry (even though I never played any). But surprisingly, I rather enjoyed the gameplay and side objectives despite the fairly repetitive nature.

However, I am getting really tired of most modern games having stories that are mostly told through audio logs and the main antagonist monologuing about how much better they are than you. Sure, I'm supposed to hate the main bad guy, but having him constantly go on and on about how superior he is just doesn't make me care. The audio logs end up more as an annoying background noise during gameplay than something I'd feel invested in. Always enjoyed Halo's story telling, even if it wasn't the best at times, but Halo Infinite's story telling felt rather poor to me.
I know how you feel. Midnight Club Los Angeles on both PSP and PS3 did something like this once where if you make a mistake during a race, your rival will taunt you. Which sometimes it genuinely annoyed me, especially when it happened constantly. I have barely touched Carbon on anything outside of the PS2 version, but from what I have seen, the next-gen versions did something like this as well and I can't say I am fond of it either.

Last edited:
Confusing track layouts.
So upon getting Hot Wheels Unleashed recently, it has become yet another example of this. Namely, when you go off the Hot Wheels track and onto something like the floor, or a sofa. They have cones to guide you but sometimes this just isn't enough and I still find myself wandering off the track sometimes. While it's the least annoying compared to the others, it's still one I have an issue with and I do wish they put just a little more thought into this and made it a bit more obvious.

Things that could be accessable to the player but aren’t.
I ain’t talking about DLC you can’t buy anymore or unused content, that’s a good subject for another time. I am talking about things that are already in the game and used in some form or another but aren’t ever usable to the player when they very easily could be. This sort of thing is something I can recall being slightly peeved about ever since I first got into gaming 20 years ago and have had a problem with it ever since. I’m surprised I ain’t touched on it yet.

So here's a ton of examples I could name:
Test Drive (2002). In the game, theirs a spoiler-less Supra called Hamada in there and you race against it in story mode, but the protagonist refuses to take it in a pink-slip race and you never unlock it normally at any point in the game whatsoever. Therefore it’s inaccessible by normal means despite the fact it’s already there and could be totally usable once unlocked. And I’ve hacked into the game and driven it before and can confirm it’s perfectly functional, so I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just made it playable given they took the time to make it work as such.

Twisted Metal (2012). While I can understand why things like The Brothers Grimm, Iron Maiden, and that metal beast weren’t made playable, what I don’t understand is why the limo never was. The limo is a vehicle you fight against when facing off against Dollface and despite being there, it’s not accessible by the player, and to make matters worse, theirs evidence in the game's code suggests it was going to be.

In the devs defense though, the model reserved for the player is a little unfinished, but I think it’s only missing it’s texture and was so close to being done, they may as well have finished it and made it playable, especially since the AI variant is already done.

Star Wars Battlefront (2004). 2 things that always bothered me about this game is:
1. The gungans, jawas, geonoisians, wookies, ewoks and tusken raiders are used on their respective maps and the royal guards only appear on Naboo in the story but you can’t use them normally whatsoever. Battlefront II may have most of them playable, but I still wish they had done the same here, it would have been fun.

2. The worst one for this game for me would be how they have Jedi and sith that can spawn on the map for whatever side they’re on, but they’re not usable by the player at all. Battlefront II may have had this, but Battlefront 1 should have had it as well and it also would have been fun. They took the time to include them so why not make them playable?

Star Wars Battlefront II (2005). 3 things I can think of are:
1. In Rise of the Empire, theirs a LAAT Gunship that appears in the mission on Utapau and appears to have different weapons from the one used in space battles, but you can’t use it, and not even flying towards it with a jet trooper lets you use it. Having a gunship you could use would have been great and since they already took the time to include one, why not make it usable? The lack of flyable vehicles on ground maps is something I have always had a problem especially since the 1st game did it so well.

2. In Jabbas Palace, the native forces they have are the Gamorean Guards, but unlike every other native force in the game, these guys aren’t playable for some reason and they have no hunt mode allowing you to use them. It’s strange they wouldn’t do this seeing as every other native force has one and it’s a pity because they can instakill just about anything in front of them.

3. Theirs a lot of random Jedi, the queen of Naboo, and Gizo Delso that appear in Rise of the Empire, but neither of which are playable, which is unfortunate because they’d be interesting additions for sure.

The Dukes of Hazzard II Daisy Dukes It Out. In the last story mission, you face off against the Mean Green Machine but nowhere in the game can you play as him whatsoever and it’s a shame because it could have been fun since it was so different from the rest of the vehicles in the game.

Test Drive Offroad 2. Love this game but I have noticed the AI has some colors for their vehicles that the player cannot get. One is a gold hummer that I like so much, yet you can’t use it and I don’t understand why.

Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix. I don't know too much about this, but I have heard some cars have unique body kits the AI uses, but they are unavailable to the player for some reason. I haven't tried to get them myself, but I have seen a video showing how to do it and it doesn't seem to cause any issues. So why they only allowed AI to have it, I don't understand.

Need for Speed Prostreet. Not the biggest deal, but I can recall seeing an Audi A4 with a skeleton vinyl in a drag race. However, despite that vinyl existing and being carried over from Carbon, it's not accessible to the player for some reason. I am sure theirs many more like this, but this is all I know for now.

Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga. Probably one of the notorious cases I can think of and it was what made me want to post this. Ever since the first Lego Star Wars game, TT Games has always been really bad to have various characters in the background that despite existing in a playable state, they aren’t usable without hacking. Of course, I am just going to talk about The Complete Saga since it is a compilation of both the first and second game and a lot of what I say here can be applied to them as well. Theirs a crap ton of examples to be made about this game, but I am only going to post 2.
1. Theirs the Sentry Droid on “Mos Eisley Spaceport” and the Kaminoan Droid on “Discovery on Kamino” and despite them being there as enemies, they’re not playable at all, not even with extra toggle. One could argue they were excluded due to the fact they float above the ground and are unable to pick up studs and since characters respawn where they last touched the ground, they tend to respawn very far from where they died.

The thing is though, the Training Remote has all the same problems as them and is less useful simply because it can only stun, not kill. Yet they made it playable via extra toggle when these two were not. And I’ve played with them myself and they work just fine apart from what I mentioned, so I don’t get why they didn’t get the same treatment as the Training Remote.

2. Another on “Discovery on Kamino” is a generic Kaminoan you see in the level, which isn’t playable normally for some reason. One could argue he’s pointless since Taun We and Lama Su already exist, but given they took the time to include the generic Wookie and Ewok despite Chewbacca and Wicket existing, I don’t see why the Kaminoan couldn’t have gotten the same treatment either. And I’ve played with him too and he works just fine, so he could have been added as is without issue.

Theirs many more I could mention from this game alone, but I only covered these 2 because they are totally playable as is unlike others and in my opinion make the least sense to exclude as playable characters. And it’s not just The Complete Saga either, Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars, and The Force Awakens have a ton as well, but I don’t know those games well enough to comment yet. I may follow up on them later though.
And I am sure I left out some, but I really do wonder why some things aren't playable when they easily could be and it's unfortunate when it's something fairly interesting that is already in a working state once you hack into the game. Sometimes I don't understand the things developers do.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm surprised how repulsive the art in Horizon Forbidden West is to me. I'm cringing just looking at the characters. I think this is new territory in the uncanny valley that I didn't necessarily expect -- the characters are actually convincing enough to trigger my anxiety and revulsion at the thought of spending quality gaming time with voice-acted characters that look that human, but at the same time, their animation totally remains in the uncanny valley.

The whole aesthetic is just awkward, and I expect it will age very poorly.

Things being needlessly reserved for certain parts of the game that could have been made available elsewhere.
Something that bugs me just as much as the last pet peeve I posted is when something is playable but only during a certain part of the game that you won’t be in too long and/or use too much and could have easily been made available everywhere. This sort of thing really confuses me in some cases and can take away from the experience. Sometimes, it’s fairly negligible, other times it can be pretty disappointing and in rare cases, it can ruin an entire game.
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005). Two things:
1. They have playable variants of the traffic cars and cop cars in the challenge series, but they are only usable in the challenge series and can’t be used elsewhere despite being totally functional. And it sucks because they’re pretty fun to play with and add a sense of variety to the game.

In the devs defense though, some of them are lower poly compared to the other cars in the game and have very limited customization options with some options causing the game to crash. However, I think they should have added them anyway and did something to prevent people from accessing customization options it didn’t have like they did with the M3 GTR.

2. They have a Mercedes Benz SL 65 AMG and Porsche 911 GT2 you can unlock by beating the challenge series and the Corvette C6-R for beating the career, but they’re only playable in arcade mode and nowhere else. Which I think is kind of stupid and takes away some of the value in unlocking them.

Once again, in the devs defense, what I said in #1 applies here as well and so does my solution. Another thing I can add is people could play the challenge series first and then get the Benz and Porsche too early in the career making it too easy. However, they could just make them unlockable elsewhere because they’re not good rewards for what the challenge series asks for anyways.

Need for Speed Carbon.
Even worse in this regard than MW is Carbon, which has half its car list reserved for quick race only. Things like the Lexus IS200, Lotus Europa S, and Plymouth Roadrunner only being playable in the challenge series (in the PS2 version anyhow) and the fire truck, Audi Le Mans Quattro, Chevelle, 1999 Eclipse, and more I can’t be bothered to list being reserved for quick race only. Then we have the M3-GTR which is only playable at the beginning of the career and in quick race, for some reason.

Of course what I said earlier about the customization of the cars in MW also applies here and so does my solution. This is a major bummer because they’re some of the best cars in the game in my opinion and they make up a good portion of its car list, yet you can’t do much with them, which really undermines it.

Star Wars Battlefront (2004).
You have the battle droid, which is only playable in the first 2 missions of some story mode I forget the name of and it can’t be used elsewhere. Maybe they thought it was pointless since we have the super battle droid, but the battle droid still has its place in my opinion, and should have been included everywhere as well.

Star Wars Battlefront II (2005).
Theirs so many space maps in this game, like space Coruscant, space Mustafar and MANY others that are reserved for Rise of the Empire and galactic conquest only and aren’t in instant action for some reason. And it’s a pity because space Mustafar might one of my most favorite space maps and theirs so many I would enjoy playing often if they were more accessible. The fact they excluded space Coruscant is especially weird given they advertised it on the back of the game case only to not use it much at all. Adding these may add a crap ton of space maps, but they should have added these to instant action anyways, especially given some of them are more unique than the ones they already have in it.

Star Wars Battlefront (2015).
I can recall a lot of levels and game modes being reserved for online-only that could have been added to single player. This might just be one of the most offensive examples of needlessly reserving content for certain parts of a game I can think of. I say this because the huge emphasis on online play (which I dislike) and lack of single-player content was one of my biggest problems with this game. Made even worse knowing so much of what was reserved for online-only could have been added to single player. When I said “it could ruin an entire game”, this game was a huge part of why I mentioned it. Though I must confess, it’s been a long time since I played the game again.

Lego Island 2 (PS1).
I talked about this earlier, but this game might just be the 2nd or 3rd biggest offender for this. And it gets this title because Adventurers Island is divided into several parts, but you can only access each part as you play through the story. Once you beat it, you can only walk on one part of the island and the rest becomes inaccessible. Even worse, theirs an island called Ogle Island that’s really cool, but very short and once you beat it, you can never access it again without cheats.

I love Lego Island 2, but those 2 maps are some of my most favorite in the game, and the fact you can’t revisit them after you finish them just kills a lot of the replayability it could have had.

Spyro Season of Flame.
This game had a cool little hockey game you could play as you progress through the story, but once you beat it, you can’t play it again. It would have been neat to be able to do so, especially since the classic games did a decent job at this sort of thing.

Spyro Year of the Dragon. In Evening Lake, theirs a whale swimming around that will swallow you if you get close to it and when you do, you can find an egg in its mouth. However, you cannot go into it again after you collect the egg and exit. Not a huge deal really, but it would have been cool to be able to do that at any time after collecting the egg.

Gran Turismo 5. 2 things.
1. So they later added the Red Bull X2010 5G to the game, but it was only playable in a seasonal event, which obviously didn’t stay around forever and was completely unobtainable without hacks. Seems like a total waste to create this car only to make it playable in a specific challenge (that didn’t stay around long) and not let the player add it to their garage.

2. Some special events, I forget the names, had some course maker tracks that were point to point and could only be raced on in these events. They were unique given that they were point-to-point course maker tracks that didn’t exist anywhere else in the game and could not be recreated normally. This one bummed me for years because I loved these tracks and it’s a pity they couldn’t have been added to the course list because they’re fun to drive on.

Gran Turismo 2.
1. Autumn Ring Mini for some reason is only playable on the arcade mode disc and despite existing in the simulation mode and being fully functional, it’s never used anywhere.

2. In arcade mode, theirs some rally cars available to the player, but they’re only usable in arcade mode for some reason and are completely unused in simulation mode. Which is a bummer because some of them look pretty good and I am quite fond of them.

To be fair though, they lack performance data in the simulation mode, which is strange given they had it in arcade mode. Still, they could have easily given it the performance data and made it available in some form, especially since they already did in arcade mode.

3. In the license tests for simulation mode, there are the D-Rights Miata and D-Rights Silvia which are only playable in the license tests they’re featured in and aren’t normally usable outside of them for some reason.

To be fair, they also lack performance data outside of their intended tests. Again though, they could have easily just given it the proper performance data in simulation mode since it was already made for the license tests and made it available elsewhere.

Test Drive 5.
While the game lets you change the color of your car in just about every mode, two-player for some reason lacks this and I can’t think of a good reason why it would.

Need for Speed Undercover (PS2).
This game for some reason has a 370Z reserved for only multiplayer, which for a LONG time I didn’t even know about, and while it ain’t much, I really don’t see the reason for this whatsoever.

Lego Star Wars II The Original Trilogy and Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga.
While I can get behind why things like the mouse droid and womp rat are reserved for extra toggle only, what I don’t get it is why the Scout Trooper and AT-AT driver are. They don’t exactly fit in with the other extra toggle characters and feel more like something you should be able to buy, yet they aren’t. It honestly doesn’t make much sense to do this and they should have just made them buyable instead.

Tonka Space Station. Two things:
1. Each module has several different levels that can be played on as you progress through simulation mode, but the upper levels can only be played in simulation mode and are not playable in arcade. All of this seems like a missed opportunity because they could have expanded the replayability a bit more, but they didn’t.

2. Both the boss and bonus module are another. You challenge the boss module at seemingly random times in simulation mode and in the same mode, you only get to play the bonus module once when you beat the game, and never again as far as I know. Neither of which are available in arcade mode and it’s a shame because you never really get to play either of these much at all. Having them unlockable in arcade mode would have also made the game a lot more enjoyable.

007 Nightfire.
My memory is a little hazy since I ain’t played this game in a long time, but I think the first level has a sniper rifle you use, but to my recollection, it’s never seen again afterward. I could be wrong though.
Oh wow, that list ended up being way longer than I thought and I am sure I still missed some. :lol: I was surprised at just how many examples I could find for this and I have a feeling this may not be the last time I talk about it either. I am sure there could be reasons for some of these that I am not aware of right now, but this sort of thing just really sucks and feels so pointless sometimes.

Last edited:
Mentioned this before but I want to be more clearer on the criticism.

Linear games with mandatory collectibles.

Collectibles seem to be staple in games now, even in Linear games just for completionists to keep playing the game for 100%.

There is the issue of how to make them rewarding for people who don't want to go for 100%. Sonic Lost World 3DS, New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U unlock new levels if you collect all Star Coins in a world and Crash 4 gives you new outfits if you get all the Gems in a level. The issue here is that, if you aren't interested in that and just want to play to end, the collectibles are still useless. New Super Mario Bros. DS and 2 did the system perfectly where the Star Coins were currency you use to unlock different routes to get to end or Toad Houses for items. This means even if you just want to beat the game, you still might want to get the Collectibles if you want to skip a level and do another instead or get an item in a Toad House and it doesn't matter which levels you get the Star Coins in, as long as you got it.

Then there's Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, Fox 'n Forests, Sonic Lost World Wii U/PC and Sonic Unleashed where the collectibles are required to beat the game as mandatory levels are locked behind and they are absolutely painful to deal with. These games are structured to chew through the content because of the linearity and now you are punished for doing so and are forced to replay levels if you missed enough of whatever collectible they through at you, you also can't fully embrace the linear level you go through because you're busy looking at every minor detail and secret just so you have enough of these Collectibles just to beat the game. The problem varies between games. With 3D Land being a minor inconvenience since the Star Coins are usually in plain sight but Sonic Unleashed being pretty tricky to find some making it ruin the game.

This also affects other genres not just platformers, despite how open the maps are. Pokémon Legends Arceus is a very linear game with set single objections connecting the game, however if you don't constantly sidetrack to complete research tasks which might as well be the games collectible. You'll have to backtrack until you're level is enough to get to next area even if the story demands you there ASAP. I would consider Gran Turismo 6 License Test system as well this problem because the events were structured in a very linear fraction but hold you off from progressing until you finish the License Test, unlike Gran Turismos before where the License Tests were more appropriate as they were more open ended

Last edited:
In racing games when the windshield in the cockpit view is too dark and/or has reflections of the dashboard which makes it difficult to see out of. May be realistic, but is it necessary?

Forza Horizon 5 is guilty of this at a level I don't recall being so bad in the last games. Some cars are worse than others, but it's pretty annoying to be in the cockpit view and not be able to see very well.

^ Our eyes adjust more easily to artifacts like that and changes in lighting than how it is (very annoyingly) simulated in some games.

One random one-off pet peeve I have been meaning to post about is how the music in GT5 changes when you enter the dealership and course maker. While this sort of thing happens all the time, it annoys me in this instance. Why? Well I tend to really enjoy the menu music quite a bit and I just hate how it interrupts it every single time I go in either of them, just to play a very small selection of what’s already heard in the menus. I just find it a little intrusive and unnecessary when it does this and I also find it repetitive at times having to hear the same few songs in there when they’re already heard elsewhere.

Sure GT Auto, used car dealership, online dealer and tune shop also do this sort of thing, but I don’t get annoyed at either of them simply because their songs are unique and are not heard anywhere else in the game. This can’t be said for the dealership and course maker menus though, all they contain is just a small selection of what’s already heard in the main menu and no unique songs to go with them. Personally, if they can’t have a unique theme for them, just let the current one keep playing uninterrupted instead. Not a huge deal, but it’s a small annoyance I can’t ignore.

Last edited:
One random one-off pet peeve I have been meaning to post about is how the music in GT5 changes when you enter the dealership and course maker. While this sort of thing happens all the time, it annoys me in this instance. Why?
I'm still trying to figure out why GT7 seems to change songs in seemingly every menu you enter.

Confusing track layouts.
So coming back to this yet again, I have found 2 more examples that I want to add to this.
Motorhead. Love this game, but the track Redrock has a nasty flaw in its design where you see two lanes. However only one of them you can actually drive through, the other appears to be a tunnel, but in truth it’s closed off by a door and it’s so dark you won’t know it until you hit it.

It’s really confusing if you don’t yet know the track and can disorient the player even if they do. Why on Earth didn’t they just block it off?

NASCAR Racing 2003 Season. Was watching a video from SimRacing Miscellaneous and he talked about a track called Sheffield Snow Rally. Really cool track, but near the end of the video, you see what appears to be another trail, but it isn’t. Driving in its direction will just send you into a solid wall. Theirs nothing to indicate it’s off limits and I don’t make tracks for the game, but surely something could be done to let the player know this.

Last edited:
To fit the mood of the menu, like in pretty much every GT game.
I know they did that in the past GTs, but GT7 feels different when they do it this time. Like on the fact they're using the main menu songs still when going into the tune shop and UCD.

--

and while I'm at it, it's annoying that Polyphony decided to make some of the soundtrack exclusive to being used in replays. WHY?! I want to listen to strike breaker when racing too! Not only in replays!

Last edited:
Overly frequent autosaving.
Autosave is nice, but sometimes it can be annoying when it does it constantly and can become a bit of an inconvenience. Not to mention you have a higher chance of your save being corrupt should something go wrong while saving. Don't know many at all that are like this, but it's still an annoyance the few times I've seen it.

Some examples:
Gran Turismo 4. Haven't touched this game in forever so my memory is a little hazy, but I recall it would autosave every time I would get in a car and that got annoying after a while. I also remember it would do this upon exiting the garage and some other places. What's annoying about this is you're forced to wait until it's done before you can do anything and the wait isn't long, but it gets old after a while.

Gran Turismo 5. This game I think does mostly alright with it and unlike GT4, if you get in a car or do anything in the garage, it won't save until you exit. However, it makes a rather silly mistake in the "Items" section of the game where it saves every single time you install a part. Got 10 parts you want to install? Well, it's going to save 10 different times while you're installing them. What's worse is the game will soft lock for a few seconds while it's saving and you can't move while it's doing this.

This is ridiculous. Why couldn't it just save after you leave that section? That would have been MANY times better. I honestly dread installing a lot parts in that section simply because of this.
I suppose it's better than having to navigate menus every time, but there is such a thing as saving too often.

Last edited:
Overly frequent autosaving.
Autosave is nice, but sometimes it can be annoying when it does it constantly and can become a bit of an inconvenience. Not to mention you have a higher chance of your save being corrupt should something go wrong while saving. Don't know many at all that are like this, but it's still an annoyance the few times I've seen it.

Some examples:
Gran Turismo 4. Haven't touched this game in forever so my memory is a little hazy, but I recall it would autosave every time I would get in a car and that got annoying after a while. I also remember it would do this upon exiting the garage and some other places. What's annoying about this is you're forced to wait until it's done before you can do anything and the wait isn't long, but it gets old after a while.

Gran Turismo 5. This game I think does mostly alright with it and unlike GT4, if you get in a car or do anything in the garage, it won't save until you exit. However, it makes a rather silly mistake in the "Items" section of the game where it saves every single time you install a part. Got 10 parts you want to install? Well, it's going to save 10 different times while you're installing them. What's worse is the game will soft lock for a few seconds while it's saving and you can't move while it's doing this.

This is ridiculous. Why couldn't it just save after you leave that section? That would have been MANY times better. I honestly dread installing a lot parts in that section simply because of this.
I suppose it's better than having to navigate menus every time, but there is such a thing as saving too often.
Personally I found GT4 better for autosaving. The car change saving could be disabled and the saves themselves were generally short. GT5's were much longer and much more annoying for me.

Personally I found GT4 better for autosaving. The car change saving could be disabled and the saves themselves were generally short. GT5's were much longer and much more annoying for me.
Yea I can understand that. I guess the reason I get less annoyed with how long it takes for GT5 to save is because I usually can do whatever while it's saving. (barring what I said about the items section)

I have heard the auto save can be disabled in GT4, but I haven’t messed with it recently.

Last edited:
I guess the reason I get less annoyed with how long it takes for GT5 to save is because I usually can do whatever while it's saving. (barring what I said about the items section)
Really? When it autosaves for me it locks the game up until it's done.

Last edited:
Death Barriers.
Something that has annoyed me for years in Call of Duty Zombies is if you go out of bounds, it will kill you instantly. Nacht Der Untoten in World at War had this for some reason, but strangely it wasn't until Ascension in Black Ops I that it came back and it's been on every map ever since. While having god mode turned on will prevent you from dying (except in BO2), you still have the problem I spoke of earlier where the announcer will be laughing at you constantly until you return to the map, which is annoying.

To be fair though, it's an anti-cheating measure and you're not likely to encounter it unless you're cheating, but theirs some ways it can be triggered by normal means on some maps through a glitch. Such as Shadows of Evil in Black Ops III had an issue like this once that was later patched, Nuketown has one that's still there, Origins in Black Ops II has one right now that can be done simply by using the Boomhilda's kickback to jump over the trenches and I am sure theirs more. I will admit though, it mainly annoys me when I just want to use noclip and explore the map in single-player because some of Treyarch's maps are incredible to look at, but these death barriers make me dread doing this. I mean, I get why they're there, but I wouldn't miss them if they were gone though.

Last edited:
Camera being set to bumper cam by default.
Much like my complaint I posted earlier about having to shift into drive even with an automatic transmission, this one isn't the worst either, but being forced to change it to my liking every session is yet another unnecessary extra step that has been bugging me lately with GT5. GT5 for whatever reason has it default to the bumper cam every single time you go to drive for the first time each session. Changing the view to something else will stay until you quit the game, then what I said above happens all over again once you come back. I don't care to use bumper cam pretty much ever in GT5, especially when I am wanting to make sure my hybrids aren't creating smoke trails and having to change my view every single time I restart the game just gets annoying if I am in and out of the game a lot. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem GT5 has an option to change the default cam like other games do, so I'm stuck having to deal with this every single time. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Sequenced Music.
This applies mainly to some older games to my knowledge and I don't even know if modern games still use it, but I have a very different reason for being annoyed about this one. I have an obsession with ripping music from video games so I can listen to them outside the game and sequenced music just frustrates me simply because it's a more complicated format that cannot be easily extracted and what's worse is some games are harder to deal with than others. I also heard they can be a bit problematic getting them play correctly for emulation as well. Can't even tell you how many times I wanted to get certain songs only to find out it's sequenced. The first 3 Crash Bandicoot games are like this and so is the PS1 version of Tarzan and GT2 infamously uses a proprietary format for its menu music.

Now to be fair, I get why it exists because it takes up less space and I think less memory too than streamed music, but it's one of those things I'd happier if games just didn't use it at all.

Last edited:
Multiple randomized prize cars for one event.
What I mean is, when you complete something, you have several possible cars you could get for it that are randomly chosen, but obviously you only get one of them. This is something GT2 did and since I started playing GT3 recently, I've seen it again in this game too and I really dislike this. I don't mind things like license tests having multiple rewards depending on many golds or silvers you get, that's fine, especially if you still get the other prize cars for golding them all. However, I just don't like having multiple different cars you could potentially receive because it sucks when you really want one specific car and keep getting one you don't need, especially when it's something you could easily buy in the dealer. It's even worse in endurance races because if you don't get what you want from it, you pretty much have to play it all over again and cross your fingers and hope you do that time.

I can remember looking everywhere in GT2 for the Ford GT-90 and then finding out I had to do an endurance race another time just to get it and while I did this time, it sucks I had to do it once more. In GT3 I have done several endurance races lately in hopes I would get one of the F1's, but I keep getting everything but that one and it's pretty darn frustrating. Stick to one prize car please, having multiple of them and only one randomly picked is just annoying.

Not being able to win cars again after completing an event.
Yet another annoyance from the GT series that's been bothering me lately. GT3 for some reason only lets you do this again on endurance races and championships, everything else you pretty much can't. This annoys me because I used to win cars over and over again in GT2 to sell for cash and it was great because I could get a ton of extra credits doing this, but GT3 for whatever reason decided to change this. Fortunately, I think they learned their lesson by the time GT4 came out and gave us the ability to clear our trophies and win them once more and it was great. Then they decided to go back on this in GT5 and make it so none of them get rewarded again and to add insult to injury, a lot of cars didn't even sell for anything and the ones that did usually didn't go for much. Fortunately, there were other means to getting credits, but it still sucks they did this again and I think even GT6 was like this as well.

In GT3 I have done several endurance races lately in hopes I would get one of the F1's, but I keep getting everything but that one and it's pretty darn frustrating. Stick to one prize car please, having multiple of them and only one randomly picked is just annoying.
Funny, we had quite different experiences with GT3. I struggled to get cars which weren't the Polyphony001, although I found the 002 much harder to get hold of.

Funny, we had quite different experiences with GT3. I struggled to get cars which weren't the Polyphony001, although I found the 002 much harder to get hold of.
Perhaps it's a PAL vs NTSC difference. Perhaps to make up for the lack of F1 cars compared to the NTSC versions the PAL release has a greater chance of giving you F1 cars.

Multiple randomized prize cars for one event.
What I mean is, when you complete something, you have several possible cars you could get for it that are randomly chosen, but obviously you only get one of them. This is something GT2 did and since I started playing GT3 recently, I've seen it again in this game too and I really dislike this. I don't mind things like license tests having multiple rewards depending on many golds or silvers you get, that's fine, especially if you still get the other prize cars for golding them all. However, I just don't like having multiple different cars you could potentially receive because it sucks when you really want one specific car and keep getting one you don't need, especially when it's something you could easily buy in the dealer. It's even worse in endurance races because if you don't get what you want from it, you pretty much have to play it all over again and cross your fingers and hope you do that time.

I can remember looking everywhere in GT2 for the Ford GT-90 and then finding out I had to do an endurance race another time just to get it and while I did this time, it sucks I had to do it once more. In GT3 I have done several endurance races lately in hopes I would get one of the F1's, but I keep getting everything but that one and it's pretty darn frustrating. Stick to one prize car please, having multiple of them and only one randomly picked is just annoying.

Not being able to win cars again after completing an event.
Yet another annoyance from the GT series that's been bothering me lately. GT3 for some reason only lets you do this again on endurance races and championships, everything else you pretty much can't. This annoys me because I used to win cars over and over again in GT2 to sell for cash and it was great because I could get a ton of extra credits doing this, but GT3 for whatever reason decided to change this. Fortunately, I think they learned their lesson by the time GT4 came out and gave us the ability to clear our trophies and win them once more and it was great. Then they decided to go back on this in GT5 and make it so none of them get rewarded again and to add insult to injury, a lot of cars didn't even sell for anything and the ones that did usually didn't go for much. Fortunately, there were other means to getting credits, but it still sucks they did this again and I think even GT6 was like this as well.
Ugh.... I remember doing the Dream Car Championship 6 times just to get the FTO LM Race Car.

Iirc. You can exploit it in Championships and reset the final race over and over until you get the Prize Car you wanted. Wished I knew that

Ugh.... I remember doing the Dream Car Championship 6 times just to get the FTO LM Race Car.

Iirc. You can exploit it in Championships and reset the final race over and over until you get the Prize Car you wanted. Wished I knew that
You can, I saw a video showing how to do it yesterday. Too bad theirs not an easier way to do it in endurance races.

The ones I always struggled able to get was the Raybrig NSX and the R390 GT1 Race Car. I still have neither, but at this point GT3 gives me duplicate Polyphony001s... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cars in the dealer you can’t even buy.
Another pet peeve I have with the GT series, albeit a minor one. Some may disagree with me, but I don’t like how the older GT games would have cars in the dealer, but their cost would read as “- - - -“ and you can’t buy them. I just don’t see much point to them even being there if I can’t even buy them and it’s worse when it’s things like the Model T in GT4 that can’t be bought and are locked behind something I could never hope to achieve. I feel like I’m being mocked when I see some of them as if it’s saying “Sorry, you can’t buy this car, you must do [insert impossible task here] to get it”, knowing I never will. :lol:

Fortunately, GT5 and onward ditched this (ignoring DLC cars) and I don’t miss it! If you’re not going to let me buy these cars, then don’t bother listing them in the dealer.

Edit: I should note, I do not have GT7 and have barely touched GTS, so I can't speak for these.

Last edited:
Cars in the dealer you can’t even buy.
Another pet peeve I have with the GT series, albeit a minor one. Some may disagree with me, but I don’t like how the older GT games would have cars in the dealer, but their cost read as “- - - -“ and you can’t buy them. I just don’t see much point to them even being there if I can’t even buy them and it’s worse when it’s things like the Model T in GT4 that can’t be bought and are locked behind something I could never hope to achieved. I feel like I’m being mocked when I see them as if it’s saying “Sorry, you can’t buy this car, you must do [insert impossible task here] to get it”, knowing I never will. :lol:

Fortunately GT5 and onward ditched this (ignoring DLC cars) and I don’t miss it! If you’re not going to let me buy these cars, then don’t bother listing them in the dealer.
Do the Invitation cars in GT7 fall under this?

Latest Posts

Back