Video game pet peeves.

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by ULTRAVIOLENZZ, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Knukel

Knukel

When shooters become too spectacular with all the cluster explosives, plasma beams, laser weapons, ricocheting bullets and what not - That it's actually better to Hip-Fire & Spray n' Pray than aiming down the sight or trying to dodge bullets... e.g Borderlands 3 and Ratchet & Clank 2016.

Both games are good, but from all the screen flashing i often have no idea what's going on... Seizure alerts are now more relevant than ever :eek:

P.S. Games used to be more balanced with lower player health and slower bullet speed/quantity.
    Now the opponents are constantly one-shot killed or bullet sponges... And vice versa with the player.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Overly long, tedious and repetitive boss fights.
    This was something that frustrated me a lot when I was much younger and upon revisiting some of those old games again in recent years, I remember why. While I get bosses are supposed to be a challenge, some boss fights are pretty dang hard and just go on too long without anything interesting happening. Here’s some examples I have come to know:
    Crash Bandicoot 2 N-Tranced - N. Tropy, the final boss in the game, is easily a proper example of this. How the fight goes is, he has two attacks, a high and a low attack, that he will constantly launch at you for a period of time. Then he will move across the map and you have to get there and hit him before he gets up and then repeat the process again 3 times. Once his health bar is drained, he teleports to another level and you have to do the same thing again, except this time his attacks are faster and more aggressive than before. So you do it all again and hit him 3 times once more, but does it stop there? Nope! He teleports to yet another level and like earlier, he gets even more difficult than before and then you have to do the very same process again and then that’s where it finally ends.

I really struggled on this one as a kid and even as an adult, I still do. I have only beat it a handful of times. I get he’s the main boss of the game, but the fight just goes on way too long and it gets old having to constantly dodge the same two attacks over and over again with nothing to make it interesting. And of course, it’s tricky. What’s worse is, if you die, you have to start it all over again. Easily the worst boss fight I know in the Crash series and still not one I care much about.

Tarzan - Clayton is the final boss in this game and I do recall having some trouble with him when I was younger and upon replaying the game recently, it was even worse than I remembered. It’s starts out with a chase sequence in which you run from Clayton and you have to avoid falling, getting attacked by animals and him catching up to you. Then once you reach the top, the actual fight begins. He has 3 attacks he will use against you for a while, once he stops, you can hit him and it will knock him back. You literally rinse and repeat at least 7 times until he falls off, with him getting more aggressive each time.

For starters, the jump mechanics are not very good in this game and they certainly don’t help in this scenario. The chase is hard at first, but once you figure it out, it’s not too bad. The fight itself on the other hand is pretty hard and easy to mess up on. Having to dodge his attacks (which increase over time) and hit him 7 times over is just a bit excessive in my opinion and should’ve been cut back a bit. However, the worst part about this is if you die, you have to go back to the 2nd half of the chase sequence, run up the tree again and probably lose half your health along the way and then you can face him again.

Honestly between Clayton and N. Tropy, I am not sure who is worse. They’re both pretty bad and I honestly cannot decide which I hate more.
    If they’re going to make a boss fight go on for a while, at least change it up some to keep it interesting instead of just ramping up the same repetitive attacks the whole way through and don't make it too hard. Long boss fights can be fun when done right. Dr. N. Gin in Crash Bandicoot 2 is a good example of this because while it goes on for a while, it’s not too hard and it changes itself up overtime, keeping it interesting and in my opinion, fun. The two I mentioned are anything but that and while I am sure worse examples exist, these are the worst I can think of.

3. Whitestar

Whitestar Premium

Motion blur
    Just.....no

Treating my in-game "eyes" as if they're a camera
    Aka exaggerated eye adaptation aka auto-exposure. Blown out sky when looking at a dark forest? Why? My eyes are perfectly capable of seeing all details in the forest and the sky at the same time, even if a camera isn't.

Tying the physics to the framerate
    Flying mammoths everywhere.

Locking in-game framerate to 60
    Yeah, about those 144Hz and 240Hz monitors.....they actually exist now you know.

Dan and Wolfe like this.
  4. RandomCarGuy17

RandomCarGuy17

Race tracks with the first corner located right after the start/finish line
    This could apply to real life, but I have only driven on race tracks in video games. So, here we are.
    Iberian Circuit in Forza Motorsport 3 & 4 comes to mind. This annoys me as when I see a start/finish line, the first thing coming to my mind is to get across it fast as possible. Especially in a race where I'm trying to win! It's frustrating to get across that line only to slam on the brakes right after because there's a corner right there waiting.