Video game pet peeves.

This is more particular to "simulation" style racers like Forza and GT, but one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing duplicate car numbers in the same race. Even if the liveries are different, it's still a bit of an immersion breaker when I notice that there are, for instance, multiple #55 Mazda 787Bs right next to each other.

This is more particular to "simulation" style racers like Forza and GT, but one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing duplicate car numbers in the same race. Even if the liveries are different, it's still a bit of an immersion breaker when I notice that there are, for instance, multiple #55 Mazda 787Bs right next to each other.
Really? Even if in a Super GT race everyone uses the only 3 cars available, Lexus SC430, Nissan GT-R and the Honda HSV?

Actually I'm more of the opposite, it annoys me seeing a grid where every car is different as in every motorsport that never happens. There is always multiple of certain cars.

Really? Even if in a Super GT race everyone uses the only 3 cars available, Lexus SC430, Nissan GT-R and the Honda HSV?

Nice straw pulling. So seeing say, multiple of the same #23 Xanavi GT-Rs in the same race isn't an immersion breaker? Of course there are multiples of car models (ie. lots and lots of Porsche 911s in whatever GT racing series you follow), but never in a real race are you going to see any cars sharing the same car number.

Nice straw pulling. So seeing say, multiple of the same #23 Xanavi GT-Rs in the same race isn't an immersion breaker? Of course there are multiples of car models (ie. lots and lots of Porsche 911s in whatever GT racing series you follow), but never in a real race are you going to see any cars sharing the same car number.
Ok, you are only talking about Numbers, I thought you meant Car Models.

I can't see anyway out of it, especially when racing games will get Race Cars from different eras, so there is bound to be same numbers, ESPECIALLY race events where they bring all those race cars together.

Though it never bothers me with seeing multiple #23 Xanavi GT-R, though that is because I put my imagination in it and pretend each car has their own number and they are teammates, of coarse people won't like doing it so it is understandable why you don't like it.

19. Ludonarrative Dissonance- Almost all games have this. Not a big annoyance when in the actual gameplay but when it comes to storyline and especially the cut scenes I'm questioning a lot of things. But to be fair to the game developers, I think this is really hard to abandon or even counter. Its the norm in most games. It doesn't bother me much though.

Games that don't know their audiences. I noticed this a lot in Assassin's Creed III - the games have always hinged on the player having a broad knowledge of history, but ACIII demanded quite an intimate knowledge of the American Revolition, but since I am not American, I didn't understand large parts of the story. I have noticed the same thing in Fallout 4, with the "Freedom Trail" mission; I stumbled into the location that you needed to visit for it, blissfully unaware until I was told that I had satisfied one of the criteria. So I had to Google the solution to the problem.

AFter The Witcher 3 I can add, seperate endings based on vague decision choices you make in game.

What a dumb idea CDPR

20. Freedom to choose what to answer but no difference in outcome- I don't really know what's the point of this other than immersion. Fake immersion.

20. Freedom to choose what to answer but no difference in outcome- I don't really know what's the point of this other than immersion. Fake immersion.
That really ruined Shadow the Hedgehog for me, if it wasn't for The Last Story I reckon it would've been a very underrated game.

5. Rubber banding- Very frustrating. Why do they even include that in games?
This has to be my single biggest pet-peeve in racing games. I've recently purchased (for the third time) the original NFS Underground and while it's still a bloody great game to this day the rubberbanding is seriosuly rage inducing and frustrating.

Just gotta' love seeing a four to five second lead quickly go down to a second place position. In the last few corners no less.

🤬

Mobile game makers who release FTP titles with a bazillion ads, limited play time (like having a fuel system in racing games) and impossible to grind events even though grinding is the 1 thing you'll have to do in order to get to progress.

CSR Racing had this problem, I ended up coming away from it very frustrated.

In game character talking that takes place while you're busy doing some thing else.
This mostly aimed at Borderlands franchise, where you'll be in the middle of a gun fight and plot line talk takes place and you cannot hear it.

In game character talking that takes place while you're busy doing some thing else.
This mostly aimed at Borderlands franchise, where you'll be in the middle of a gun fight and plot line talk takes place and you cannot hear it.
Same with anime where everybody talks or shout at the same time. Very annoying.

For me, one of my biggest pet peeves is not being able to skip cut scenes and story bits. While, indeed I do enjoy a good story line, if I am playing through for a second time or redoing a mission for whatever reason, its not a bad thing to let a person skip.
I'm also not a fan of not being able to drift properly in GTA. I'm not looking for serious sim or anything, but it would be nice to do more than a power slide.
As for rubber banding, unless I am misunderstanding the meaning here, but isn't that sort of a pointless thing to have as a peeve? There honestly isn't much to be done about until the world wide is on a fiber connection. Even if developers built in algorithms to try and mask lag, there is no way to reliably predict where a person is going to be. The real issue is how some games, such as GT5 and 6 deal with it. It would be nice if maybe they would perhaps ghost a car that all of a sudden jumps from one location to another, especially of another car is already occupying said space.

Last edited:
I think some games don't let you skip cut scenes because its actually a loading screen. Games usually loads textures etc while the cut scene is playing. But I'm with you. Inability to skip a cut scene is very annoying especially if you fail repeatedly on a mission and the film starts playing again.

Games that don't know their audiences. I noticed this a lot in Assassin's Creed III - the games have always hinged on the player having a broad knowledge of history, but ACIII demanded quite an intimate knowledge of the American Revolition, but since I am not American, I didn't understand large parts of the story. I have noticed the same thing in Fallout 4, with the "Freedom Trail" mission; I stumbled into the location that you needed to visit for it, blissfully unaware until I was told that I had satisfied one of the criteria. So I had to Google the solution to the problem.

That's the same reason why I hated AC: Unity. I beat the game just for the sake of beating it, but I had no understanding of what was happening in-game and what the storyline was, and what the events were. But I guess that's why they have the database. (Having quite a bit of fun with Syndicate, though)

Campaigns with bad dialogue. Wasn't that bad in any other Call of Duty except for Black Ops 3. Just seems so cheesy, and dead, especially at the beginning.

Genres without competition. Mainly sports games like Madden and NHL. Barely raise the bar every year because they have no competition.

Pointless side missions. Action games with medium sized campaigns with side missions that feel like a waste of time.

As for rubber banding, unless I am misunderstanding the meaning here, but isn't that sort of a pointless thing to have as a peeve? There honestly isn't much to be done about until the world wide is on a fiber connection. Even if developers built in algorithms to try and mask lag, there is no way to reliably predict where a person is going to be. The real issue is how some games, such as GT5 and 6 deal with it. It would be nice if maybe they would perhaps ghost a car that all of a sudden jumps from one location to another, especially of another car is already occupying said space.
Are you talking about multiplayer or singleplayer? I've seen good AI, there's no excuse in singleplayer.

again, I am not aware of how this relates to single player. Rubber banding is when a player freezes, then jumps to a new position, or back to their old one due to lag issues. There is nothing to be done for it as you can't predict where the play is going. The only time I could imagine it happening in single player is if you are maybe running into memory or CPU over utilization. The only times I can remember seeing any sort of rubber banding single player is when games jump from game play to cut scenes or other such element shifts. I can't say I recall any sort of rubber banding while actually playing in a game though.

again, I am not aware of how this relates to single player. Rubber banding is when a player freezes, then jumps to a new position, or back to their old one due to lag issues. There is nothing to be done for it as you can't predict where the play is going. The only time I could imagine it happening in single player is if you are maybe running into memory or CPU over utilization. The only times I can remember seeing any sort of rubber banding single player is when games jump from game play to cut scenes or other such element shifts. I can't say I recall any sort of rubber banding while actually playing in a game though.
They're referring to rubber-banding AI cars that magically catch up to you or ride on your butt even when they shouldn't. (I.E. a rank 140 car keeping up with a 1299 car in The Crew)

I think this is my confusion, I've never heard of that referred to as rubberbanding. Aside from the QTEs in NFS The Run, I only know that as lag.
They're referring to rubber-banding AI cars that magically catch up to you or ride on your butt even when they shouldn't. (I.E. a rank 140 car keeping up with a 1299 car in The Crew)
To elaborate further, when you have a sizeable lead on an opponent (say 10 seconds) and even though they have a car on the same performance level as you, can make up that time in less that a mile, even though you didn't make any mistakes.

Example of rubber banding is when I raced against Nikola in Midnight Club L.A.. I was leading almost half the map because he spun out 3 times and I raced perfectly until I hit a 22. Texture Pop-In (a truck) only just 10 meters away from the finish line. When suddenly Nikola rushed to the finish line out of nowhere, half the map away. Dude must be doing 700mph as I watched him on the map racing towards me. I call that "lazy programming".

Back