Video game pet peeves.

Kind of goes along with a post I made in this thread a few years back about games focusing on character customization than actual game content. But it feels more prevalent than ever with so many games partnering with fashion brands that don't seem to have much relation or point to the game. I'm sure it's been brought up so many times, but the one almost "permanent" feeling De Tomaso Mangusta Dior collaboration sitting in the rotating Legends store is one example or the non stop announcements of Need For Speed Unbound partnering with whatever clothing/fashion brand I've never heard of. For NFS, I'd be much more excited to hear about some tuning company partnering with NFS to bring real life licensed parts to the game than a clothing brand....

No doubt it's in other big games than just racing, but these partnership/collaborations feel like a waste of time for whatever genre game ends up getting some clothing brand partnership. For something like Sims, I'd be all for it and I would be happy to have real brands in that, but not in a shooter or racer.... I guess this is just the day and age we live in with social media being a huge influence and expressing your in-game character more than anything. I do feel like an old man shaking my cane at this, but I just want brands that have more relation to the game genre than...clothing. Not the best example to give, but I'd rather see partners like StopTech or Recaro instead of Dior or Palace or...whatever. (I'm sure there's better aftermarket tuning brands to use as examples, but I can't quite think of them at the top of my head) Feels like I see only maybe 6 HRE wheels, when there's more on offer, but we don't see that sort of stuff....

Enough with the fashion/clothing brands already. I'm playing a racing game for cars, not wearing some Gucci outfit or whatever. :grumpy:

Enough with the fashion/clothing brands already. I'm playing a racing game for cars, not wearing some Gucci outfit or whatever. :grumpy:
The thing is, custom cars are basically the latest "look at me" fashion accessory and people who have these kind of heavily customized vehicles are also wearing these expensive clothing brands, and more and more often are coordinating their clothing and their car because that's the kind of personal brand they want to create. The two are pretty much intertwined now.

And considering car culture has continually shifted away from performance and more towards brand name body kits and one-off visual builds, you could probably say that car's "clothing" is the focus of car games now.

Last edited:
The thing is, custom cars are basically the latest "look at me" fashion accessory and people who have these kind of heavily customized vehicles are also wearing these expensive clothing brands, and more and more often are coordinating their clothing and their car because that's the kind of personal brand they want to create. The two are pretty much intertwined now.

And considering car culture has continually shifted away from performance and more towards brand name body kits and one-off visual builds, you could probably say that car's "clothing" is the focus of car games now.
I understand that and especially for something like NFS, but it feels like there's just too much focus on the clothing and poses than actual car products. There just isn't enough of a focus on the aftermarket car parts it feels like as much as the clothing. The one thing that I wished there was more of in NFS Heat at least (have yet to play Unbound), was the rather lackluster headlight/taillight options for some cars. As one example, I'd rather see more light options or wheel options in NFS than some sneakers that I'd hardly see other than the forced character model in your face. I get it though, people do like wearing some fancy sneaker with their "hotboi" tuner car at a meet. But I just don't feel like there's enough visual mod options and it's mostly dependent on just your "wrap" or paint.

The Evo X in Heat for example only had smoked factory lights or Varis lights.
Varis-14-Version-Ultimate-Aero-Kit-for-CZ4A-Mitsubishi-Evo-X_11.jpg

Why not other options like these:
5_0f344dd3-26ca-442c-bc8a-cfc93e5cfd4e_700x700.jpg

7_1_4492bbbf-69bb-4d2f-a30a-cf2b9da08c0a_700x700.jpg

I'm spending more time looking at my car than I am on the character model. Though Unbound seems to shift more towards the characters these days.... I suppose it is a bit of my nostalgia for NFS Underground giving more than just one or two light options.

Double post, but unsure if anyone's brought up game preservation for most modern games with DLC. It feels like not many games include post-launch DLC after the servers/store removed them to the point of being inaccessible. I would be willing to repurchase a game (as long as it doesn't quite mean I have to redo the main game/story) if it had all the DLC included despite the ended support for it.

For example, I really enjoyed playing through Forza Motorsport 4 and the original Forza Horizon, but wish I could access the DLC packs they had taken down from the store. There used to be GOTY editions of games that would include all the updates/DLC on the disk without having to find out that you can't access it after being taken down from the Xbox/PSN/Nintendo store. For something like FH1, I wanted to try out the rally DLC and some of the cars that never saw any other Forza game since FH1 or whichever.

My brother and I enjoy playing driving games that have a licensed car that somehow only showed up once in a series or ever in a proper game. (Proper as in something that isn't a cellphone game like the shovelware like "3D parking" or "Extreme parking 3D" crap) Something like FH1 being the only Forza game to have the Toyota FJ Cruiser or FM5 being the only game to have a regular Infiniti Q50 (later Forza games had only the Q50 Eau Rouge concept), but they were only for DLC and now inaccessible due to the DLCs being taken down.

Racing games are just an example, but for content like that, I'd like to be able to experience it even after picking up the game years after it's support ended. Frustrating as someone who wants to play with a part of the game that is no longer accessible, especially nerding out on cars that only saw a AAA or AA game once and never again.

Last edited:
I don't get the whole joy of the Game Awards, basically the same feelings as any other award show. Just a bunch of people deciding something as concrete fact which can't be decided like that and just ruins discourse on the topic (good luck criticising a game when People are going to respond with "but it's Game of the Year").

Also categories are extremely unbalanced, the same issue is with stuff like the Oscars where Animation has no chance outside its own category. Racing and Sport Games get the biggest short end of the stick by being grouped together because having Car Simulators, Kart Racers and FIFA in a discussion of better game totally makes sense.

My feelings are the same across the board on all Award Shows.

Last edited:
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I have true video game grievances to share.

1. Fear-of-missing-out game development practices. I hate them! This idea of having limited time unlocks just to try getting players to play their game back is a terrible practice and I argue pushes gamers away more so than keeping them. I shouldn't have to keep frequently coming back to one dumb game if I want some kind of thing in it, they should make it unlockable only through an in-game challenge or something and that's it.

Gran Turismo 7 and the newer Forza Horizons both come to mind when doing this.

2. Video Game Demos that let you only play it once: Honestly, this is me being salty at Capcom for doing this back when RE2 Remake was in development. This angered me so much that I could only try one sample of the game once instead of being allowed to replay it multiple times. I want to be able to savour the experience, I can't do that if I only get to try it once.

3. Companies throwing away their old franchises and just releasing the same few Ips. This one basically applies to a lot of companies; Sega, Nintendo, Take-two & rockstar, EA, and Microsoft with Rare. Because of EA and their practices, I haven't seen another truly new Burnout game since paradise. Take-two and its habit of just making GTAonline a cash cow is why RDR2 never got any proper dlc packs nor proper online support. and also why I haven't seen a new Midnight Club game since Los Angeles. and I'm still mad at Microsoft for aquiring Rare to only not do anything significant with them since the 2000s. Will they make a new Conker game? NO! Will they make a new Banjo Kazooie game? No!

4. Bringing back old video games to be made subscription based only. In this case, I'm talking about Sony locking some games I would love to play, but want me to subscribe to a premium version of PS plus instead of being able to just buy them again. Forget that, I already pay to play online; I'm not paying more just to access a few more games. Stupid!

Gran Turismo 7 and the newer Forza Horizons both come to mind when doing this.
Not sure how, especially for GT7. Unless it's been changed for FH5 you can still buy limited time cars in the auction house. And for GT7, I assume you're talking about the legend cars and used cars dealership, which have been in the game since the original. I'm amazed in the 13 years since GT5 people simultaneously forgot about the used car dealership and when it came back started complaining that it was anti-consumer. The Gran Turismo community had been asking for it to come back for years!

Not sure how, especially for GT7. Unless it's been changed for FH5 you can still buy limited time cars in the auction house.
The car I want isn't always available to purchase in the auction house and that's a terrible excuse. Players that won them will often price the cars high like crazy. and even then, it's a bad solution to have to rely on an auction house to find a car you want or hope that it comes back as an unlock. and it's done by design, to get players to come back and play the game again.

Adding content to a game should be made where you can unlock it anytime you want and not through limited time windows.
and for GT7, I assume you're talking about the legend cars and used cars dealership, which have been in the game since the original. I'm amazed in the 13 years since GT5 people simultaneously forgot about the used car dealership and when it came back started complaining that it was anti-consumer. The Gran Turismo community had been asking for it to come back for years.
and I'm amazed that people are still missing the point on why they're being complained about.

I'm complaining about how the Used Car Dealership and Legends Dealership were executed, NOT for existing. I was one of the people estatic about the UCD coming back, but then my mood got soured when I saw how PD decided to treat them this time.

In past GTs, the UCD would refresh through IN-GAME days and only after every 10 days. and the cars were often cheap or just very affordable, I could gain enough money for a Toyota Supra in a few events playing GT2 for instance. In GT7, PD made the refresh mechanic online-based so the dealership only refreshes in REAL-TIME instead, meaning it takes longer for the car list to refresh. Meaning if you miss a car, you have to wait forever to get it back. In the past GTs from 1-4, missing a car wouldn't be a big deal as I could see it again in no-time by just playing again instead of waiting days on end for it again.

and the Legends dealership takes the UCD issues and dials them up some as they share the same absurd price points that GT5-Sport had. In which was already bad enough in GT Sport or 6 as you would have to grind excessively to gain enough money for any of them, except now you only have a limited time window to get them versus being able to get them anytime you want. So yes, it's an anti-consumer move as it pushes people to grind the same few races or have to buy micro-transactions to get enough money for the cars. That's predatory behavior. Making it so cars only refresh through real-time becomes a mechanic to get players to now come back to the game just to see if their favorite car is in. It's also clearly a fomo mechanic, which is what I'm ranting about.

and once again; when you miss a car in the Legends dealership, you have to wait literally weeks for the car to come back.

Before you say "but past GTs were a grind too", they weren't a grind at this level and were pretty manageable. In Gran Turismo 2, you just have to do one 5 lap race to win a car worth 500,000 credits and the cars were only 2 million credits at the most. There's other races that involve 2-3 laps around a track and you can win cars worth 250,000cr. In Gran Turismo 4, the most expensive car was just 4.5 million credits. Quite a bit of money, but still manageable with some of the events in the game having really good prize payouts. In the DTM Championship, you could just constantly win the CLK-LM and sell them. and you don't even have to do anything other than use B-Spec mode and let the A.I. driver do its thing. Oh and the cars you would save up for could be bought anytime you wanted for the most part and the ones that weren't for sale were once again, winnable by just playing the game.

The fact that a lot of devs are ok with having bugs or broken and/or overpowered weapons and items in their game for weeks or months on end.

But if there is something wrong with the store, you know they will fix that **** right away. That’s pretty greasy if you ask me.

Reboot, revival, rebranding of a long standing franchise or even a slightly dead one that's been on a long hiatus. Tired of having to call the game it's name with the year it came out. Oh you mean Need For Speed Most Wanted 2005 or 2012? Or having to clarify between Need For Speed 2015 and Road & Track Presents The Need For Speed. Then there's Doom (2016) that you have to keep saying when trying to talk about the recent version or what I loathe more is the new Forza Motorsport just being called....Forza Motorsport. The original Forza Motorsport was called that, no FM1 or anything, but now I have to clarify what I mean by Forza Motorsport (2005) and Forza Motorsport (2023). Was it such a reboot/rebranding that they couldn't have called it Forza Motorsport 8 like everyone else on the internet has been? Prey (2006) and Prey (2017) come to mind as well.... I know this goes for more than just video games as it goes for products, TV shows, movies, etc.

Apologies if this was brought up before somewhere in the forum or this thread. But anytime I feel like talking about a game to someone that ended up having a "reboot/rebranding" as in just giving it a simple title name of it's franchise, it just seems creatively bankrupt to do so and irritating to have to clarify yourself or the other person "Did you mean this year or that year?"

Reboot, revival, rebranding of a long standing franchise or even a slightly dead one that's been on a long hiatus. Tired of having to call the game it's name with the year it came out. Oh you mean Need For Speed Most Wanted 2005 or 2012? Or having to clarify between Need For Speed 2015 and Road & Track Presents The Need For Speed. Then there's Doom (2016) that you have to keep saying when trying to talk about the recent version or what I loathe more is the new Forza Motorsport just being called....Forza Motorsport. The original Forza Motorsport was called that, no FM1 or anything, but now I have to clarify what I mean by Forza Motorsport (2005) and Forza Motorsport (2023). Was it such a reboot/rebranding that they couldn't have called it Forza Motorsport 8 like everyone else on the internet has been? Prey (2006) and Prey (2017) come to mind as well.... I know this goes for more than just video games as it goes for products, TV shows, movies, etc.

Apologies if this was brought up before somewhere in the forum or this thread. But anytime I feel like talking about a game to someone that ended up having a "reboot/rebranding" as in just giving it a simple title name of it's franchise, it just seems creatively bankrupt to do so and irritating to have to clarify yourself or the other person "Did you mean this year or that year?"
I would find it infuriating myself. Though in franchises that I regularly play, it only happened to Sonic and everyone just calls the 2006 one "Sonic 06" so the rebrand of that one isn't as bad

Goes back to what I said in my own thread about how hard it is to find MW2005 due to the 2012 game sharing the same title. Some others I could name are:
1. Theirs also the original Star Wars Battlefront series developed by Pandemic and then we have EA's Battlefront developed by Dice that for some reason, uses the same names as the originals.
2. Another I could add is Test Drive has a 2002 game known simply as Test Drive, which can confuse anyone who wanted to talk about the first game they made, which has the same title. Oddly, this only applies to the US version of the game, other regions give a different name. (Test Drive Brotherhood of Speed being one of them)
3. Twisted Metal made a game in 2012 that shares the same name as the first release.

And on a related note, I was just thinking the other day about how Microsoft decided to call their 3rd console the Xbox One. I really do think it was a bad idea for them to give it that name because just think about how some people were probably already used to calling their first console this, only to have to start calling it something else to avoid confusion.

Also, it kind of peeves me how the first Playstation is commonly called by the name "PSX" despite it not being its official name, especially since Sony actually has a console that goes by this name. Sure, it's an obscure thing only sold in Japan that many probably don't even know about and are not likely to be discussing, but it sucks when you want to talk about it and/or find more information on it and you can't without being bombarded by PS1 related stuff. Yea, I am probably alone on this one. :P

Last edited:

More examples: GRID (2008 & 2019), Saints Row (2006 & 2022), Colin McRae Rally (PS1 and crap phone game), Tomb Raider (1996 & 2013), Mortal Kombat (1992 & 2011), etc.

I'll give you one example that didn't re- anything but reuse the name: Gran Turismo (PS in 1997 and PSP in 2009). All told, it's a habit I can't stand either, but considering how the entertainment industry scraped through the bottom of the barrel eons ago good luck finding anyone with money willing to chance an unproven name.

The worst offender for me:
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (2016)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

The worst offender for me:
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (2016)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
  • Call of Duty (6): Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
  • Call of Duty (8): Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered (2020)
  • Call of Duty (19): Modern Warfare II (2022)
  • Call of Duty (20): Modern Warfare III (2023)
postulating...
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Campaign and Spec-Ops Remastered (2023)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered Remastered (2026)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019 Remastered (2029)
  • Modern Warfare: Call of Duty (2032)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II & III Campaign Redux (2033)
  • Modern Warfare² & Knuckles (2034)
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3-3: Black Ops VIII — Modern Warfare VS Black Ops Prelude (2036)

Games with a great core but do nothing with it.

This just proves that Quantity is important, several games I've played are mechanically really fun to play but don't have anything to do in them and are way too short leaving less replayability options in them and despite having a fun time, I just stop carying after an hour so.

It usually isn't the fault of the developers and is the publishers giving them a strict deadline and/or not enough funding which makes it tragic when the developers struck gold and are not able to do anything with it

Examples:

Team Sonic Racing - Team Mechanics are really sound and is massively addicting when playing with friends utilizing the team mechanics. Characters have a lot of charm too with every character getting unique dialogue and quite a lot, I still haven't heard all the voice lines of Tails despite playing him the most.
The downside is that there is only 21 Tracks with 9 of them being repeats from other Sonic Racing games leaving only 12 new tracks, the 12 new tracks are pretty good (especially the Rooftop Run inspired tracks) but you chow through them really quickly and there isn't much left. The Grand Prix mode cups don't even have all the Tracks in them. Despite having huge amount of character in their characters there is only 15, with some weird choices like Chao and Zavok which causes strange Standard team scenarios as characters like Espio, Charmy, Infinite, Babylon Rogues and Cream are left out. The Sonic franchise is often criticised for having too much characters but in the one game where that would be a good thing, they don't take advantage of it.

Gon Baku Baku Baku Baku Adventure - Checked this out of curiousity after watching the anime and it has a solid gameplay base. Since the main character is meant to be an unstoppable selfish beast, they put that into the 2D platformer style really well as you have to keep feeding Gon food along the way and swallowing, getting hit by enemies just causes you to drop food you haven't been swallowing and if Gon gets hungry for too long, he breaks the fourth wall and eats you (the player) himself which causes the Game Overs. The levels have interesting mechanics even if the Maze levels are a bit flawed.
The problem, there is only 8 Levels and 4 Bosses. You get through the game really quickly and the only replay value is collecting different food to eat and characters to look at, at the musuem which in only 8 levels is really repetitive but not only that the characters have very little to do with the Anime or even the Manga the Anime is based on. All the characters from the Anime are only the ones that appear in the 1st episode and completely miss all the Savannah characters (which is a big disappointment for me as the Savannah episodes in the anime are usually the only good ones) which especially strange that Reed/Leader is absent as he has a memorable role in the Manga so timeframe shouldn't be an issue for his inclusion. So even if you were 1 of the 3 fans of the anime or manga, there is almost no character models you would want to grind out the very little content to collect as its mostly game original.

Yearly updates that are essentially exactly the same game as the previous five, repackaged and remarketed, sold for another £60 plus season pass. Where there's virtually no upgrade to the experience of actually playing the game, where you're essentially having exactly the same experiences all over again but maybe the roster has been updated, or the liveries tweaked, or a new circuit added, or none of the above but its called '23 rather than '22. Where there us absolutely nothing stopping them from releasing the updates as DLC rather than a whole new game other than financial greed.

Everything about it. It gives me complete buyers guilt, I feel like a mug. The two games take up more HD space unless you delete the previous one. It costs far more, it leads to a really deflating experience playing the "new" game because it's just not. It's too soon, 12 months isn't long enough between genuine separate entries in a series because life gets in the way and you're only half way through the last one.

Big kudos to ACC, Snowrunner, Wreckfest, Mario Kart 8, World of Outlaws, for going down the "build on your game over several years with DLC" route. Massive waved fist at EA Sports, Milestone, KT Racing, etc etc etc etc for releasing the same game repeatedly. Grr.

Yearly updates that are essentially exactly the same game as the previous five, repackaged and remarketed, sold for another £60 plus season pass. Where there's virtually no upgrade to the experience of actually playing the game, where you're essentially having exactly the same experiences all over again but maybe the roster has been updated, or the liveries tweaked, or a new circuit added, or none of the above but its called '23 rather than '22. Where there us absolutely nothing stopping them from releasing the updates as DLC rather than a whole new game other than financial greed.

Everything about it. It gives me complete buyers guilt, I feel like a mug. The two games take up more HD space unless you delete the previous one. It costs far more, it leads to a really deflating experience playing the "new" game because it's just not. It's too soon, 12 months isn't long enough between genuine separate entries in a series because life gets in the way and you're only half way through the last one.

Big kudos to ACC, Snowrunner, Wreckfest, Mario Kart 8, World of Outlaws, for going down the "build on your game over several years with DLC" route. Massive waved fist at EA Sports, Milestone, KT Racing, etc etc etc etc for releasing the same game repeatedly. Grr.
Well, that's pretty much the definition of a "Yearly Sports Title Release". You'll also notice that they are all exclusive licenses too (F1 to Codemasters/EA, WRC to Milestone previously, etc). This is pretty because the Sports organizations don't care for that, they want a game for their Sport yesterday just for more profit and apparently, it makes that profit (Probably because its mostly Sports fans who know this is all they are getting, which is marginally still better then what's going with MSG who are...not doing that...)

The titles you praise for not doing that (Sans ACC and World Of Outlaws, which is to be honest are licenses that kinda don't have F1's popularity or mainstream cache like a Madden or NBA or FIFA) naturally aren't licensed Sports Titles so naturally they aren't confined to that contract that stipulates that rediculous yearly release window.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I get why it happens but it still annoys me. Also, some of those developers take it to the extreme. There are several FIFA games that don't even try to advance the gameplay, and Milestone last year managed to take a new licence (World Superbikes) and basically just reskin their MotoGP game and churn it out as a new game. There's also RIDE, where the early consensus in the other thread among people who've played it is that it's a DLC update to the last one and little more. And that one's not constrained by a licencing obligation to release a new title every year.

I don't think there's even going to be a SBK23 given the lukewarm reaction to the last one. That just screams out to me "do it properly, don't be lazy"

Last edited:
My biggest pet peeve is Task oriented ”sim“ racers that lock content behind things I have no interest in. If something is fun people will play it. If you have to force players to play a mode or use certain features then you should take the hint. These games should let the player choose between Race mode and Task mode in regards to unlocking stuff. In the end these are race games and either you like racing or you don’t. Making me grind through a bunch of crap I have no interest in is not fun. at least not to me. Especially when it’s the same thing over and over again

Last edited:
As someone who had nearly 20 years mostly ‘off’ gaming and only got back into the hobby during covid, one thing that struck me as odd is the whole trophies thing on modern PlayStation. I mean, I get the idea but christ aren’t the vast majority of them completely pointless? It’s totally overkill. “You’ve driven your first mile - have a trophy” “You changed your tires - here’s another trophy”

It’s such a transparent way of getting kids hooked on trophy collecting as a phoney way of extending gameplay, having them grind for hours doing pointless stuff to obtain the more obscure ones so they feel like they’ve 100% completed their game. Wasn’t like this in my day let me tell you.

Last edited:
My biggest pet peeve is the slow walking in video games so you can listen to the people talking to each other for narrative purposes. Nothing makes me more annoyed than that.

I recently developed a new pet peeve of mine - when PC game jumps immediately to the tutorial or prologue as soon as you start up the game without a chance to change or review the game settings. Bonus point if the game sets some ridiculous preset graphic setting that tanks my framerate, or the game unlocks the framerate by default and cause my CPU fans to cry in agony, or starts out with a long-winded monologues without a chance for me to even turn a subtitle on.

I can see that developers do it to create a seemless and cinematic and immersive beginning to their exciting game, but guess what, I'm going to completely ruin that cinematic scene and my immersion because I'll be spamming ESC key trying to interrupt your seemless opening. Sometimes pressing ESC wouldn't even bring up a settings menu, and merely pause the intro cutscene that I'm forced to watch. How considerate.

Just give me some popup menu to change some general stuffs before I start a new game, how difficult is that?

Last edited:
  • Live-service games
  • Forced hand-holding tutorials in games.
  • Unfinished games at launch
  • Corporate heads forcing developers to crunch a game at launch instead of just delaying it. Which causes most unfinished messes we have now.
  • Having characters say something every 5 seconds
  • When companies instead of creating a new I.P. choose to just change the identity of an existing one instead.
  • Using multiplayer gaming as a means to makeup for single-player content instead as an option.
  • Server disconnections, but that's more of a me-problem than a game problem likely. I.E. Server disconnections kinda killed my motivation to play GT7's Sport mode. I kept losing connection in every race.
  • Single-player games that require online connections.

Last edited:
My biggest pet peeve is the slow walking in video games so you can listen to the people talking to each other for narrative purposes. Nothing makes me more annoyed than that.
Ive been getting increasinly frustrated with speed limiters in gameplay segments to try and be "immersive". It isn't immersive, it's tedious and its not like there is a sense of accomplishment for doing it, just make it a cutscene.

Back