Video games...we don't play no stink'in video games!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTP_ken_b
  • 197 comments
  • 10,722 views
A religion founded by bored women while they husbands were out at war. That's why being a sissy in soccer is rewarded, and why they purposely wear tiny short shorts.

Ha! Your funny. I really want to say something but it would also insult many other people on here. And I'd be no better than you.

Anyway, when I went Karting, I threw everything I learned in GT5 out the window on the first lap. The only thing that I tried to remember was to not steer to much in a kart, because you will lose speed. I managed a 12th to 1st without using the fundamentals I used in GT.

Then on the second lap I used things I learned in GT5, I went to 5th, and hit someone who had crashed on the Apex.

GT does help, but only to a certain extent. Car control, and all these things, are learned by a driving instructor in a classroom. Ever been to the Apex Driving Academy? They tell you not to use things you learn in a game. I have friends who work there, and when they played GT5, they said everything you learn needs to be erased when you go to a track, because none of it will help you.
 
Last edited:
GT5 is a video game - a fairly detailed, somewhat realistic (within its limited scope), notoriously flawed but incredibly addictive and fun video game.
It's not really a training device, and at best a rudimentary learning platform - restricted to track analysis and driving lines (at least when no other game-controlled cars are around).
Yeah, it's way, way, way, way, way beyond a video game in the same sense of description that Pac-Man is also a video game, but it is simply a video game.
Like they say: 'Nuff said.
Peace...
 
It's just you.
👎

When someone asks sarcastically 'are you still playing videogames?' I used to respond with explaining it's an advanced driving simulator accurately replicating the driving physics and handling aspects of real life cars, going into detail about the possibilities and effects of a proper set up, etc. which mostly didn't take away but actually increased their sarcasm and resulted in them viewing me as some obsessive geek instead of someone with a slightly childish hobby (in their eyes).

Nowadays I just smilingly respond with 'yes I do because it's fun' and then persuade them to try it themselves, give them some overpowered, overtuned supercar and say 'it's really easy, it has to be since it's even sold to small kids don't forget' and watch their smugness and sarcasm quickly being replaced by embarrassment.

As for GT5 itself, it's a videogame obviously.
👍

GT5 is a video game - a fairly detailed, somewhat realistic (within its limited scope), notoriously flawed but incredibly addictive and fun video game.
It's not really a training device, and at best a rudimentary learning platform - restricted to track analysis and driving lines (at least when no other game-controlled cars are around).
Yeah, it's way, way, way, way, way beyond a video game in the same sense of description that Pac-Man is also a video game, but it is simply a video game.
Like they say: 'Nuff said.
Peace...
👍

But, it's a video game that simulates reality. You can't learn Ping Pong, Bowling, Volleyball and Basketball or both Footballs with a video game. Do you know what sport is most easy to replicate? RACING!

I have nothing against videogames, but as I read in some other thread, since GT5 came out my ps3 had become a "GT5 Player". You can take it as a simulator or a videogame depending on how you use it. In my case, the proper term would be more like a "hobbie". What I can't stand is people calling themselves "pros", as if they were making any money or a career around this. Well, there are two or three guys out there that become professional racers through the GT academy i think, but I guess they where already racing in real life before.
👍

Except the GT Academy winners couldn't have been Pro in any form before GT Academy. Ordonez only had karting experience, which many racers start with. Thank you, Kaz!

Answer to your question: It's more than just gaming.
 
Last edited:
But, it's a video game that simulates reality.

But shouldn't something that simulates reality in definition be called a simulator. It may not be on the same level as multi thousand dollar simulators that some companies use but to me its still a simulator.
 
But shouldn't something that simulates reality in definition be called a simulator. It may not be on the same level as multi thousand dollar simulators that some companies use but to me its still a simulator.
Well, that was kind of what I was implying. We insert a disc into a video game console for a simulated experience. To me, it's more simulation than game.
 
Well, that was kind of what I was implying. We insert a disc into a video game console for a simulated experience. To me, it's more simulation than game.
👍
 
Being a simulator necessitates being a video game. Even flight simulators intended for training actual pilots are video games; they're just not called that.

/thread
 
all I'll say to the OP is to try iracing, its closest thing you will play to a real sim. However even the makers of iracing admit that without being able to feel weight of the car and being able to feel the car hitting the limit its still not even close to driving a real car, i'm in my second season of iracing and I still play GT5 for fun, but there's no comparison between them, as much as I hate to say it GT5 physics aren't all that 'simulated'
 
stop makin' fun o mah vidya games!
 
Videogames are as varied as any other
medium, let's not forget that, say, The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apocalypse now are classified the same as Transformers, Meet the Parents and Cheaper by the Dozen, despite being worlds apart in almost every conceivable way. My point is that GT5 is a game, the same as how Time Crisis is a game and Pong is a game. It just happens to have almost accurate physics, real life cars and real life tracks. Simulators don't have in-game currency, career progression, photo modes or racing suits for your avatar, and they definitely don't have a mode where you can train an AI to make money and unlock cars for you.

Try Race 07, the closest you get to a career mode is progressing through a tournament. All the cars are unlocked from the start, as are all the tracks, and all there is to do is race or practice racing.

Also by being a snob and pretending GT5 isn't a game (which it is, play (or, if this isn't a game, do whatever it is you do when you're using GT5) a PC simulator and you'll see) you just make yourself look like an idiot for buying a games console to not play games on.

Also this isn't the 90's, videogames are not just for geeks and children any more.
 
Last edited:
well, it makes me THINK I can drive better lol :)
 
When I got into an accident in GT5, my car can still race. I'm unhurt....
I can't smell the exhaust and don't have the fear of dying when playing GT5....

Hmmm... It's a video game..
 
stanong11
When I got into an accident in GT5, my car can still race. I'm unhurt....
I can't smell the exhaust and don't have the fear of dying when playing GT5....

Hmmm... It's a video game..

Thats the whole point of a simulator. You will never find a simulator that you could actually get hurt or breathe in exhaust fumes. The question is, "is it a simulator" not "is it real". Be serious.
 
"Get your ass off that game now!"
"MOM ITS NOT A GAME ITS MY SIMULATOR"
"I SAID ....."

x)
 
^
Hahahaha! 👍
 
CoD is a simulation of being in the military.
I don't let anyone call CoD a video game, cause its a simulation.
 
In my mind, games like the Gran Turismo series are in the "Simcade" category. Basically, a game that offers to simulate a certain degree of physics within an arcade type of format. Sure, it will offer more "realism" than games in the NFS series or Midnight Club or whatever, but when it comes down to it, you have a screen and a controller of some sort. The only thing that's missing is the slot for your quarters...
 
GT5 is a video game.

On GT Academy: It is a publicity stunt where the winners have always had some real life racing experience (karting). The only example of skill passing from game to reality would maybe be Greger Huttu in iRacing.
 
CoD is a simulation of being in the military.
I don't let anyone call CoD a video game, cause its a simulation.

On that note I consider Contra as a simulation.
Its a simulation of being in the military as well.
 
"Video games...we don't play no stink'in video games!!"

Obviously we do! Two negatives make a positive (don't/no).

I believe what you meant was "Video games...we don't play no stink'in video games!!"

And if you didn't notice, GT is played on a video games console. Notice the word game in there?
 
On that note I consider Contra as a simulation.
Its a simulation of being in the military as well.

And Halo is a simulation of teh futer! :sly:
 
And Halo is a simulation of teh futer! :sly:

Exactly! Any game can be a simulation as long as it represents something. Now, our game here GT5, is a "real driving simulator" which should make it as real as possi... uh... apparently the X1 negates that :grumpy:

Oh well :D
 
lol I know where OP is coming from. I know GT5 is a video game, but I can't physically say "I play video games." It makes me feel rather nerdy. Chicks don't dig it. Racing "games" are the only thing I play, so if someone asks I always try to play it off as "racing on my simulator." (G25 + Playseat) Sounds much more legit.
 
GT5 is a video game. No argument needed there. What else would you call it? I think the real argument goes to Arcade vs Sim... Which has been discussed of the GT series a lot...
 
ChrisGT
lol I know where OP is coming from. I know GT5 is a video game, but I can't physically say "I play video games." It makes me feel rather nerdy. Chicks don't dig it. Racing "games" are the only thing I play, so if someone asks I always try to play it off as "racing on my simulator." (G25 + Playseat) Sounds much more legit.

If the chicks don't dig videogames they're not worth hanging with! Find a girl that likes videogames & be a proud gamer! ;)
 
I think it's time we all let go of this video-game-arcade-simulator-discussion.

I've been playing a bit of Shift 2 for the past months and I was surprised by how angry people got when that was called a simulator. As if the stamp 'simulator' would make it any different. 99,99999% of us play GT5 for fun as we do with any other video game, and the other 0,00001% is Lucas Ordonez.

For those of you to whom it really matters: You can call any video game a 'fantasy simulator' if you want to. Or just say you masturbate to hardcore pornography (no, link is not to pornography).
 
Controller = Video Game
Wheel = Simulator
 
Craig lowndes (aussie V8 supercar legend) practiced the nurburgring nordschleife track on GT5 before heading there for the 24hr race , so there must be some merit to the Sim aspect of the game.

Relating back to some of the earlier posts regarding weather GT5 improves your driving ability at a given track i would be confident in thinking that if you got two pro racers eg: Hamilton and Button (very similar pace in the same F1 car) and allowed one to race a track unknown to both of them on GT5 (with wheel)and the other to get no "game time" at all that the one that has played the game would be the fastest at the end of the day.
 
Controller = Video Game
Wheel = Simulator

Agreed, the only way GT5 remotely qualifies as a Sim is if a wheel is used, but even then it has problems, how "Sim" is it to press triangle to reverse, if I did that in my real car all I'd do is put my hazards on!
 
Back